Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trade talks with Falcons?
(07-23-2019, 01:36 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The hype Burkhead was getting on this page has never come close to his performance.. we did the right thing not paying him the $$ he wanted 

It was not so much what he got paid, it was more that he was worth keeping over Hill, which he was.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 11:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just saw this posted, and found it to be quite interesting.  We have speculated, and kicked around the idea of the Bengals making a trade, but I don't think any of us had Giovanni Bernard tagged as trade leverage.

In the event that it's a player for player trade, who do you want from the Falcons in exchange for Gio?

https://www.nflchatter.com/2019/07/21/falcons-in-trade-talks-with-the-bengals/?fbclid=IwAR35Qxw1R3InmtKpzLlsyPnniCOL0jSEgUTSMAwU1v2YyIJmUS0A7_4vTCE

NFL trades don't happen that easy and the question mark ?,  means it probably isn't happening.   Plus add in the Falcons let this guy go in Free Agency as Bengals over years have let players go in Free Agency.  The Falcons had all Free Agency and the Draft to address this.  My guess is that if you look at Falcons roster, they probably go into camp with many RB's.  

I remember Bob Trumpy and Cris Collinsworth on WLW sports talk radio,  and when people called in with NFL trades, they always said NFL trades are not that easy to make, and impossible to predict.   The best thing about this is the question mark, because it is a huge ?????

Fans are all over this site thinking up many trades.  One guy wants to trade all the veterans for draft picks for an all rookie team in 2020, and I'm glad he isn't the owner or GM.   

Now to people wanting an O Lineman or this or that.   Towards end of preseason there are always some interesting names cut and without a team as all teams have to meet roster restrictions.   Sometimes a good veteran loses his job as the team goes for youth.  Sometimes a good young player in preseason gets left out as the team stays with veterans.  Sometimes just because a guy can't make a Super Bowl teams roster doesn't mean he couldn't help a losing team.  So instead of trades that probably won't happen,  keep your eyes open for who the hundreds of players the 32 teams cut in preseason.  There are always surprises and names other teams rush to pick up. 

and, Zac Taylor has said he might have ways to use Gio in his offense.   I look at Bengals RB situation, and I fail to see the great depth others do. A lot of unproven names. A team needs a good stable of running backs for depth and special teams. There are teams with far more RB depth than Bengals at this time.  Bengals also don't seem to be looking for an O Lineman.  Zac Taylor saying he has many options already on line going into camp.  Now if he discovers in preseason the blocking stinks, then he might make some moves.  Last I saw Fisher was still unsigned, which is another option.  Gio does something at RB that Rams Taylor loves, Gio catches the ball.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  I really have to question the blocker we would get in a trade like this anyway.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 04:11 AM)kevin Wrote: NFL trades don't happen that easy and the question mark ?,  means it probably isn't happening.   Plus add in the Falcons let this guy go in Free Agency as Bengals over years have let players go in Free Agency.  The Falcons had all Free Agency and the Draft to address this.  My guess is that if you look at Falcons roster, they probably go into camp with many RB's.  

I remember Bob Trumpy and Cris Collinsworth on WLW sports talk radio,  and when people called in with NFL trades, they always said NFL trades are not that easy to make, and impossible to predict.   The best thing about this is the question mark, because it is a huge ?????

Fans are all over this site thinking up many trades.  One guy wants to trade all the veterans for draft picks for an all rookie team in 2020, and I'm glad he isn't the owner or GM.   

Now to people wanting an O Lineman or this or that.   Towards end of preseason there are always some interesting names cut and without a team as all teams have to meet roster restrictions.   Sometimes a good veteran loses his job as the team goes for youth.  Sometimes a good young player in preseason gets left out as the team stays with veterans.  Sometimes just because a guy can't make a Super Bowl teams roster doesn't mean he couldn't help a losing team.  So instead of trades that probably won't happen,  keep your eyes open for who the hundreds of players the 32 teams cut in preseason.  There are always surprises and names other teams rush to pick up. 

and, Zac Taylor has said he might have ways to use Gio in his offense.   I look at Bengals RB situation, and I fail to see the great depth others do. A lot of unproven names. A team needs a good stable of running backs for depth and special teams. There are teams with far more RB depth than Bengals at this time.  Bengals also don't seem to be looking for an O Lineman.  Zac Taylor saying he has many options already on line going into camp.  Now if he discovers in preseason the blocking stinks, then he might make some moves.  Last I saw Fisher was still unsigned, which is another option.   Gio does something at RB that Rams Taylor loves, Gio catches the ball.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  I really have to question the blocker we would get in a trade like this anyway.
Yeah lets just keep doing what we have done for the last three decades. It has worked out so well for us.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 04:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But we didn’t win that playoff game in what was historically the biggest implosion of a team in the final minutes than any in NFL history?

Definitely was not the biggest implosion;

- fluke fumble
- Burfict moron
- Adam Jones did NOTHING wrong, yet the Stoolers get to get away with penalites and BS.

The only thing that could be considered an, "implosion," would've been Burfict's hit; that's it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 02:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: My guess is that it would be Ty Sambrailo .  He's a swing T that can also play either G spot.  He's only 27 and still has 3 years left on his deal, so he's more than just a rental.  He started 4 games at RT last year and didn't allow a sack.  He could compete with Hart at RT or possibly the LG spot if nobody runs away with it.  Worst case, he's a quality backup.

Losing Gio would suck, as he's a good player and a great guy, but he's in a contract year and we also have a lot of our young core guys coming up.  He's also hitting that age where RB's hit the wall.  

I scrolled until I saw someone mention him.  This is what I would imagine.  Also drafted in the 2nd round like Gio.  Not a starter any longer, so the Bengals hold all the cards.  For Sambrailo and a sweetener....like a 5th round pick(?), I would be all over this.  

I love Gio and I am excited to see him in this offense, but spending on a 3rd contract for a RB isn't the best use of your dollars.  Getting a potential starter at OT that can also play Guard is a very solid choice given our lack of depth on the offensive line.  
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 05:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, he fit's the description of what the Bengals "need", to a tee.  He has starting experience at both Tackle spots, can fill in either side in the event of an injury.  With Jonah Williams on the shelf this year, they just need a bonafide swing man to be the 3rd game-ready Tackle.  

Exactly.  I'm betting it is Sambrailo and, hopefully, a sweetener like a 5th round pick in 2020.  
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 08:52 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Definitely was not the biggest implosion;

- fluke fumble
- Burfict moron
- Adam Jones did NOTHING wrong, yet the Stoolers get to get away with penalites and BS.

The only thing that could be considered an, "implosion," would've been Burfict's hit; that's it.

Was the fumble a fluke? The Steelers were going for the strip.

I can't recall ever seeing a team successfully force a fumble in that situation.

We just seemed like a mentally weak team under Lewis that found ways to lose playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 08:52 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Definitely was not the biggest implosion;

- fluke fumble
- Burfict moron

Fluke fumble? As opposed to a planned fumble? Lol

Pacman did nothing wrong? He put his hands on an official. Doesn’t matter that he was right about Porter not belonging on the field.

Burfict will always get the least amount of blame out of the 3 in my book.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 09:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Was the fumble a fluke? The Steelers were going for the strip.

I can't recall ever seeing a team successfully force a fumble in that situation.

We just seemed like a mentally weak team under Lewis that found ways to lose playoff games.

(07-23-2019, 10:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fluke fumble? As opposed to a planned fumble? Lol

Pacman did nothing wrong? He put his hands on an official. Doesn’t matter that he was right about Porter not belonging on the field.

Burfict will always get the least amount of blame out of the 3 in my book.

Fluke in the sense that a guy who fumbled once every 3 games, fumbled in that sitch. Stop it with the snark (not Pistons).

So its alright for the Stoolers to do something against the rules and get away with it, but the REACTION to somebody doing that, gets the flak because, "he touched an official?"

Give me a break.

And Burfict was the one guy who was IN COMPLETE CONTROL AND NOT TRIGGERED to do anything, yet he gets the least blame?

I should've kept my mouth shut like I have been doing lately...
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 04:11 AM)kevin Wrote: NFL trades don't happen that easy and the question mark ?,  means it probably isn't happening.   Plus add in the Falcons let this guy go in Free Agency as Bengals over years have let players go in Free Agency.  The Falcons had all Free Agency and the Draft to address this.  My guess is that if you look at Falcons roster, they probably go into camp with many RB's.  

and, Zac Taylor has said he might have ways to use Gio in his offense.   I look at Bengals RB situation, and I fail to see the great depth others do. A lot of unproven names. A team needs a good stable of running backs for depth and special teams. There are teams with far more RB depth than Bengals at this time.  Bengals also don't seem to be looking for an O Lineman.  Zac Taylor saying he has many options already on line going into camp.  Now if he discovers in preseason the blocking stinks, then he might make some moves.  Last I saw Fisher was still unsigned, which is another option.   Gio does something at RB that Rams Taylor loves, Gio catches the ball.

Actually, the question mark (?) is part of the url and it signifies that parameters follow. In the case of the this particular url, there is one parameter called "fbclid" (which is an id of some sort) and its value is the gibberish that follows the equals (=) sign. This tells the server what to display for you.

Example, this page of our forum has a url of http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trade-talks-with-Falcons?page=6. There is the address followed by one parameter called "page" which is equal to 6. So the server returns page 6 of the address http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trade-talks-with-Falcons.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 01:36 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The hype Burkhead was getting on this page has never come close to his performance.. we did the right thing not paying him the $$ he wanted 

Hard to have great stats when you are third string. That being said over spending for a #3 rb wasn't wise.
Reply/Quote
LB Mason Foster who led the league in Tackles just got released. We should give him a look.
Reply/Quote

- fluke fumble
- Burfict moron

Completely disagree with you. You'd be hard pressed to find another example of a team completely pooping their pants when victory was almost guaranteed like the Bengals did that night.

Jeremy Hill fumbling in the one situation where you absolutely, positively have to be focusing on protecting the ball is an implosion. Burfict being Burfict the one time he absolutely, positively couldn't do that was an implosion. No matter what the Steelers were doing Jones as a veteran HAS to know that you absolutely, positively CANNOT do anything the slightest bit retaliatory there, and that's an implosion. They literally looked at the Steelers and said "yeah, we've got this game won, but here you go, you can have it" and tore the heart out of the fanbase that night... they imploded.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: LB Mason Foster who led the league in Tackles just got released. We should give him a look.

People tell me that doesn't mean anything when Preston Brown does it.  Tongue

I'm being facetious, of course. They should absolutely be looking at any LB or OT that hits the market.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 01:23 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Completely disagree with you. You'd be hard pressed to find another example of a team completely pooping their pants when victory was almost guaranteed like the Bengals did that night.

Jeremy Hill fumbling in the one situation where you absolutely, positively have to be focusing on protecting the ball is an implosion. Burfict being Burfict the one time he absolutely, positively couldn't do that was an implosion. No matter what the Steelers were doing Jones as a veteran HAS to know that you absolutely, positively CANNOT do anything the slightest bit retaliatory there, and that's an implosion. They literally looked at the Steelers and said "yeah, we've got this game won, but here you go, you can have it" and tore the heart out of the fanbase that night... they imploded.

1. It isn't; imploding is doing it to yourself.

You mean to tell me Hill fumbled on purpose or did something that he shouldn't have?

2. No, it is absolutely NOT an implosion, when there is a double standard.

Come on. What SHOULD have been the call, was a 15 yard penalty on Porter, then I guarantee you an ant on the Bengals sideline, wouldn't have moved onto the field at that point, let alone go near the refs.

Not saying any more on this matter because we all have different opinions and we're not budging on them, so no use going in circles.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 02:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. It isn't; imploding is doing it to yourself.

You mean to tell me Hill fumbled on purpose or did something that he shouldn't have?

2. No, it is absolutely NOT an implosion, when there is a double standard.

Come on. What SHOULD have been the call, was a 15 yard penalty on Porter, then I guarantee you an ant on the Bengals sideline, wouldn't have moved onto the field at that point, let alone go near the refs.

Not saying any more on this matter because we all have different opinions and we're not budging on them, so no use going in circles.

1) Did he protect the ball? No? Then yeah, he did something that he shouldn't have. Couple that with what we've learned about Hill since then (ie, that he's a selfish prick) and I promise you he was more concerned with trying to score than he was with just protecting the win.

2) IT DOESN'T MATTER, you simply can't respond that way when you don't get the call. Period. He lost his cool, and his own teammates on the sideline would tell you the same thing. Suck it up, finish the damn game, and then do whatever you want to do when you're rubbing your victory in their faces, don't do what Adam did and hand the game over on a silver platter. He was the immature undisciplined jackass everybody told us he was for years and years.

I mean I'm as big a homer as anyone around here, but trying to convince yourself that the Bengals didn't completely implode that night seems like semantics at the least or outright denial at worst. I think the refs blew plenty in that game (giving the Steelers a TD that wasn't a TD, letting them murder Gio on the field with no penalty, all the Porter stuff), but the Bengals have noone to blame but themselves. Until they learn that lesson they're just setting themselves up for it to happen again.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 02:33 PM)NKURyan Wrote: 1) Did he protect the ball? No? Then yeah, he did something that he shouldn't have. Couple that with what we've learned about Hill since then (ie, that he's a selfish prick) and I promise you he was more concerned with trying to score than he was with just protecting the win.

2) IT DOESN'T MATTER, you simply can't respond that way when you don't get the call. Period. He lost his cool, and his own teammates on the sideline would tell you the same thing. Suck it up, finish the damn game, and then do whatever you want to do when you're rubbing your victory in their faces, don't do what Adam did and hand the game over on a silver platter. He was the immature undisciplined jackass everybody told us he was for years and years.

I mean I'm as big a homer as anyone around here, but trying to convince yourself that the Bengals didn't completely implode that night seems like semantics at the least or outright denial at worst. I think the refs blew plenty in that game (giving the Steelers a TD that wasn't a TD, letting them murder Gio on the field with no penalty, all the Porter stuff), but the Bengals have noone to blame but themselves. Until they learn that lesson they're just setting themselves up for it to happen again.

Hill fumbled? his knee was down...

that contest was full of bad calls including the TD they gave the steelers when he didn't get both feet in the endzone.

and the non call on the gio fumble.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 02:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hill fumbled? his knee was down...

that contest was full of bad calls including the TD they gave the steelers when he didn't get both feet in the endzone.

and the non call on the gio fumble.

I was at the game in the upper bowl, so I didn't have access to all of the camera angles that TV had. That said, I don't remember anybody in my section being outraged that it was ruled a fumble, and Hill still should have protected the ball better even if his knee was down (I doubt he was like "well my knee's down, guess I can totally drop the ball now").

As I said, the refs made plenty of bad calls throughout the course of that game, but the Bengals still managed to overcome all of them to give themselves an almost guaranteed shot at winning the game. They had the ball, with the lead, with around 2 minutes left in the game, mere yards away from the endzone, and they *still* choked it away. So while we can sit here and say "well if the refs had called this, or done this" (and believe me, I have), the Bengals let that victory slip right through their fingers.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 05:19 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I was at the game in the upper bowl, so I didn't have access to all of the camera angles that TV had. That said, I don't remember anybody in my section being outraged that it was ruled a fumble, and Hill still should have protected the ball better even if his knee was down (I doubt he was like "well my knee's down, guess I can totally drop the ball now").

As I said, the refs made plenty of bad calls throughout the course of that game, but the Bengals still managed to overcome all of them to give themselves an almost guaranteed shot at winning the game. They had the ball, with the lead, with around 2 minutes left in the game, mere yards away from the endzone, and they *still* choked it away. So while we can sit here and say "well if the refs had called this, or done this" (and believe me, I have), the Bengals let that victory slip right through their fingers.

I agree, they did implode and I usually agree with Truck and Xeno.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 05:19 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I was at the game in the upper bowl, so I didn't have access to all of the camera angles that TV had. That said, I don't remember anybody in my section being outraged that it was ruled a fumble, and Hill still should have protected the ball better even if his knee was down (I doubt he was like "well my knee's down, guess I can totally drop the ball now").

I know that the "battling against the officials" is a lame, tired excuse.  However, in that particular game it was true.  The refs didn't run out of ammunition, but the Bengals ran out of composure at the end.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote