Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trade to help us win in 2024
I keep seeing trade Tee. That trade will not make us better in 2024 in my opinion. It is gamble a rooking will be great (like Tee) in 2024.

I would rather see us trade Browning to the Broncos. We get pick 12, they get pick 18. We also get their 4th round pick.

Denver needs a starting QB and are strapped for cap space.

We can get a franchise RT with pick 12, not so sure with #18.

Then we trade up earlier in round 2 using our other 10 picks (we added one with Denver trade in 4th) to get Sweat in round 2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I keep seeing trade Tee. That trade will not make us better in 2024 in my opinion. It is gamble a rooking will be great (like Tee) in 2024.

I would rather see us trade Browning to the Broncos. We get pick 12, they get pick 18. We also get their 4th round pick.

Then we trade up earlier in round 2 using our other 10 picks (we added one with Denver trade in 4th) to get Sweat in round 2.

This is an old controversial topic that comes down to your view of insurance.  Some say that kd we lose Burrow we are done anyway.  There is always the in between, say a month without Burrow for example. I'll take the guy that can keep us in games vs the cheap backup that goes 1-3 and loses us a seed or playoff spot all together.  Some could argue that Browning is a big time win now factor, though I get the attraction.  If someone told you Burrow would play every snap, you'd want something for Browning, but none of us have a Flux capacitor...so to me Browning stays.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:54 PM)phil413 Wrote: This is an old controversial topic that comes down to your view of insurance.  Some say that kd we lose Burrow we are done anyway.  There is always the in between, say a month without Burrow for example. I'll take the guy that can keep us in games vs the cheap backup that goes 1-3 and loses us a seed or playoff spot all together.  Some could argue that Browning is a big time win now factor, though I get the attraction.  If someone told you Burrow would play every snap, you'd want something for Browning, but none of us have a Flux capacitor...so to me Browning stays.  

I am offering a solution to trading away a #1 WR on most teams to win now versus kicking the can down the line. I agree, Browning is a great backup. Thus, any team trading for him not only gets a starter (like Denver), but they also get one for 1.1 million the next 2 years. It is a low-risk trade for any team to go get Browning. 

Personally, I don't almost any team winning a Super Bowl with a backup QB unless they have a stifling defense. We don't have a great defense, so yes, I think we can't win it all with Burrow hurt and Browing under center. 

A team like Denver is rebuilding due to being cash strapped because of the Russel Wilson contract. This could help them be competitive and not limit them from drafting a QB like Nix or Pennix with #18 pick or their 2nd round pick. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I keep seeing trade Tee. That trade will not make us better in 2024 in my opinion. It is gamble a rooking will be great (like Tee) in 2024...

But you are gambling Tee is going to be great in 2024.  What if he pulls his hamstring again and has another year like 2023?  What value would Tee have then?  He wouldnt be helping the team and at that point you would have missed your chance to get a first round draft pick from a trade.  That's a gamble.  One that would cost 21.8 million dollars.

(03-25-2024, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would rather see us trade Browning to the Broncos. We get pick 12, they get pick 18. We also get their 4th round pick.

Does anyone actually want to trade for Browning?  He was 4-3 as a starter with one of those games against Cleveland's backups.   If Cleveland plays their starters does Browning finish with a 3-4 record as the starting QB?  I dont see him as this in demand QB teams are clamoring to trade for.
Reply/Quote
I am just highly skeptical that Browning returns anything of value, honestly. He is a soon-to-be 28 year old QB who just threw his first passes this past season. He did make some strong plays, but I think this post is an example of highly overrating Browning's value. If you compute the rough value of the picks you mentioned, it comes out to pick #55. So, middle of the second round value for Browning. I just have a hard time believing he returns that.
Reply/Quote
Browning did a heck of a job steering the ship, so to speak on a team with a strong offense, while Burrow was out with injury. However, I'm not convinced that he showed enough "star power" to gain the confidence of a rebuilding team like Denver, to cause them to trade back in the 1st for him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I keep seeing trade Tee. That trade will not make us better in 2024 in my opinion. It is gamble a rooking will be great (like Tee) in 2024.

So the Broncos move back 6 spots in Rd 1 and give up their 4th round pick for Browning?

Pick 12 overall is worth 1200 points on trade value chart, according to https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm.
Pick 18 overall is worth 900 points, so +300 pts for Bengals in that alone.
Add in 4th round pick, which is worth about 50 pts, and the new total becomes Jake Browning equating to 350 points.
That would put Browning rated around the equivalent of a mid-to-late 2nd round pick.

That feels too rich to me.
I can't imagine Broncos would do that trade.

Now maybe if you said give up Browning, 18th overall, and Bengals 4th rounder or 3rd round comp pick, that might be more appropriate.

I'd say it's more likely the Bengals could trade BACK in Rd 1 if a guy they really want doesn't fall to them, but that's mainly because we've seen them do that multiple times in the past.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bottom line to me is Browning is cheap and Tee will be costing us 21 mil this year if we keep him around and he is always banged up
it seems. Been a long damn time since we had a decent backup QB and we are pretty good at drafting WR's and this is a stacked WR
class. Would rather trade Tee and draft his replacement and put our money towards the trenches on both sides.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 01:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So the Broncos move back 6 spots in Rd 1 and give up their 4th round pick for Browning?

Pick 12 overall is worth 1200 points on trade value chart, according to https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm.
Pick 18 overall is worth 900 points, so +300 pts for Bengals in that alone.
Add in 4th round pick, which is worth about 50 pts, and the new total becomes Jake Browning equating to 350 points.
That would put Browning rated around the equivalent of a mid-to-late 2nd round pick.

That feels too rich to me.
I can't imagine Broncos would do that trade.

Now maybe if you said give up Browning, 18th overall, and Bengals 4th rounder or 3rd round comp pick, that might be more appropriate.

I'd say it's more likely the Bengals could trade BACK in Rd 1 if a guy they really want doesn't fall to them, but that's mainly because we've seen them do that multiple times in the past.

Denver has very little cap space, it gives them time to draft their future. Browning is locked into 1.2 million a year for us or any team that trades for him.

I believe is almost league minimum contract adds value, just as Tee's expensive contract hurts his trade value. 

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 02:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Denver has very little cap space, it gives them time to draft their future. Browning is locked into 1.2 million a year for us or any team that trades for him.

I believe is almost league minimum contract adds value, just as Tee's expensive contract hurts his trade value. 

That is all true.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bottom line to me is Browning is cheap and Tee will be costing us 21 mil this year if we keep him around and he is always banged up
it seems. Been a long damn time since we had a decent backup QB and we are pretty good at drafting WR's and this is a stacked WR
class. Would rather trade Tee and draft his replacement and put our money towards the trenches on both sides.

I love beefing up the trenches also, but who is left in 2024 other than the draft?

I like Browing just as I love stock when the price explodes. I love to buy low and sell high. Browning's value may never be higher if we want to win in 2024.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 01:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I am just highly skeptical that Browning returns anything of value, honestly. He is a soon-to-be 28 year old QB who just threw his first passes this past season. He did make some strong plays, but I think this post is an example of highly overrating Browning's value. If you compute the rough value of the picks you mentioned, it comes out to pick #55. So, middle of the second round value for Browning. I just have a hard time believing he returns that.

Right

I highly doubt anybody is gonna give up a first round even top 20 pick for Browning??
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 02:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Denver has very little cap space, it gives them time to draft their future. Browning is locked into 1.2 million a year for us or any team that trades for him.

Just screams desperation to me.
I'm not gonna get fleeced in a trade just because of cap space.
I'll restructure and/or cut expensive players to free up more cap if needed.

Seeing DEN taking a QB earlier than some expect (e.g. Nix, Penix, or McCarthy) wouldn't surprise me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bottom line to me is Browning is cheap and Tee will be costing us 21 mil this year if we keep him around and he is always banged up

Browning can keep the Ship afloat if Burrow were to miss say 4 to 6 weeks in 2024.

That may be worth keeping around.

There is also the chance that Browning could Win a Playoff game (if Burrow had to miss one)

-or-

Were the Bengals to be in a Super Bowl and Burrow gets hurt say in the mid 3rd Quarter of a close game;

Could Browning maybe come in and finish out a Super Bowl (from say the mid 3rd Quarter on) with a Win ?   (maybe so)
Reply/Quote

who says they have to replace Tee with a Rookie
Reply/Quote
I'm not so sure the Broncos are that interested in winning this year to make a trade for a QB that would probably put them back near the middle of the draft order again next year. I think they would probably be more interested in keeping their current draft spot as well as picks and aiming for a top pick next year to try and draft their future starter.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I think the best bet is to trade Tee to maybe the Patriots who are rumored to be interested, If this happens:

Patriots trade 2/34 and 5/137 I think we should pull the trigger.

Our draft: (1-4)

1) JC Latham- RT (Alabama)
2) T'Vondre Sweat-NT (Texas)
2) Xavier Legette-WR (South Carolina)
3) Jeramiah Trotter-LB (Clemson)
3) Kalen King-CB (Penn ST)
4) Zak Zinter-OG (Michigan)

- this upgrades so many areas of need and we can still add a FA and extend Chase, Money Mac. and add to the depth ie ST in the later rounds (Punter, S, LB, TE)

FA's who could fill roles:

1) Xavian Howard/ Steve Nelson-CB
2) Hunter Renfroe/ Tyler Boyd- slot WR
3) Mason Cole/ Brian Allen-C
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 02:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love beefing up the trenches also, but who is left in 2024 other than the draft?

I like Browing just as I love stock when the price explodes. I love to buy low and sell high. Browning's value may never be higher if we want to win in 2024.

Not much out there right now to beef up the trenches true. Also understand the buy low sell high deal, just I don't think anyone is buying...

Even Denver and they might rather just take one of the QB's in this Draft over Browning. Browning does have valuable experience though 
from last year so I could be wrong.

(03-25-2024, 02:29 PM)depthchart Wrote: Browning can keep the Ship afloat if Burrow were to miss say 4 to 6 weeks in 2024.

That may be worth keeping around.

There is also the chance that Browning could Win a Playoff game (if Burrow had to miss one)

-or-

Were the Bengals to be in a Super Bowl and Burrow gets hurt say in the mid 3rd Quarter of a close game;

Could Browning maybe come in and finish out a Super Bowl (from say the mid 3rd Quarter on) with a Win ?   (maybe so)

Maybe, I mean this is the first time I saw one of our backup QB's come in and thought we could still win games.

That is refreshing for once.
Reply/Quote
There is ZERO chance Denver would make this trade for Jake Browning.

IF they did, there would be a dozen threads on how we have the worst backup QB situation in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 02:52 PM)BengalBob Wrote: There is ZERO chance Denver would make this trade for Jake Browning.

IF they did, there would be a dozen threads on how we have the worst backup QB situation in the NFL.

You may be correct. Two words I try to not use are never (zero chance) and always.

Bites me in the rear when I do. 

Reply/Quote