Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trade to help us win in 2024
(03-25-2024, 01:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I am just highly skeptical that Browning returns anything of value, honestly. He is a soon-to-be 28 year old QB who just threw his first passes this past season. He did make some strong plays, but I think this post is an example of highly overrating Browning's value. If you compute the rough value of the picks you mentioned, it comes out to pick #55. So, middle of the second round value for Browning. I just have a hard time believing he returns that.

Sadly, overrating our own player's value is something this board is known for.

"Auden Tate is a high end WR2/Mike Williams equivalent."-currently in the CFL

"Tyler Boyd is the best/Top 5 slot WR."- currently unsigned 2 weeks after FA opened.

"Tee Higgins is a WR1 on half the teams in the league...."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would rather see us trade Browning to the Broncos. We get pick 12, they get pick 18. We also get their 4th round pick.

Denver needs a starting QB and are strapped for cap space.

We can get a franchise RT with pick 12, not so sure with #18.

I like how you are creatively thinking of a way to make something happen.

I lean towards keeping Browning but if this did go down and the Bengals nailed the Offensive Tackle pick

correctly then I would be OK with it.

Then the Bengals would have to go on a backup QB hunt/development again and do that right.

I am all for creative ideas to discuss.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 03:00 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sadly, overrating our own player's value is something this board is known for.

"Auden Tate is a high end WR2/Mike Williams equivalent."-currently in the CFL

"Tyler Boyd is the best/Top 5 slot WR."- currently unsigned 2 weeks after FA opened.

"Tee Higgins is a WR1 on half the teams in the league...."

Browning actually might be able to start for other teams and win games though...

Never thought I would be saying that before last season. He has been bad in preseason and just barely better than the other crappy 
backups we had. But when he came in and he started playing under Center, Browning was really accurate, tops in the league at one 
point and was very good throwing off his back foot, side arm etc.

Jake Browning is very smart as well. I would prefer to keep him unless someone offered us something ridiculous like in the OP.
Reply/Quote
Tee to Giants straight up for Dexter Lawrence.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 07:19 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tee to Giants straight up for Dexter Lawrence.

Fun fact (or maybe not so fun) - The Bengals chose Jonah Williams at pick #11 in 2019 and Dexter Lawrence went later at pick #17.

Which Team would most likely say no to this Trade ? - (Bengals or Giants)

It looks like Lawrence is signed through 2027 with a potential out in 2026 per Sportrac.

Interesting idea...
Reply/Quote
I wonder if we can trade Carman for some one on the fringe of a roster like with Billy Price for BJ Hill. Carman looked okay at LT when Jonah went down during the 2023 playoff game against the Bills.

Reply/Quote
That'd be the team to try it with. Denver has been making all kinds of terrible trades. You could take the 4th out. And I would still do it.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 08:21 PM)depthchart Wrote: Fun fact (or maybe not so fun) - The Bengals chose Jonah Williams at pick #11 in 2019 and Dexter Lawrence went later at pick #17.

Which Team would most likely say no to this Trade ? - (Bengals or Giants)

It looks like Lawrence is signed through 2027 with a potential out in 2026 per Sportrac.

Interesting idea...

If the Giants don't say no, we shouldn't. It does lock in that salary, long term. But our NT issue would be over. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 07:54 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: If the Giants don't say no, we shouldn't. It does lock in that salary, long term. But our NT issue would be over. 

I would be open to the idea.

The Chiefs Defense helped them a lot along the way to a Championship last season and the Bengals D was the weakest

in their own Division. I get where you want a hole filled as TEE gets moved versus just getting a pick or picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I keep seeing trade Tee. That trade will not make us better in 2024 in my opinion. It is gamble a rooking will be great (like Tee) in 2024.

I would rather see us trade Browning to the Broncos. We get pick 12, they get pick 18. We also get their 4th round pick.

Denver needs a starting QB and are strapped for cap space.

We can get a franchise RT with pick 12, not so sure with #18.

Then we trade up earlier in round 2 using our other 10 picks (we added one with Denver trade in 4th) to get Sweat in round 2.

I am not just looking to sustain success for one year, im am looking longer term, with the issues Tee has had with injuries makes me think we can overcome his lose and improve the team overall
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 01:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am offering a solution to trading away a #1 WR on most teams to win now versus kicking the can down the line. I agree, Browning is a great backup. Thus, any team trading for him not only gets a starter (like Denver), but they also get one for 1.1 million the next 2 years. It is a low-risk trade for any team to go get Browning. 

Personally, I don't almost any team winning a Super Bowl with a backup QB unless they have a stifling defense. We don't have a great defense, so yes, I think we can't win it all with Burrow hurt and Browing under center. 

A team like Denver is rebuilding due to being cash strapped because of the Russel Wilson contract. This could help them be competitive and not limit them from drafting a QB like Nix or Pennix with #18 pick or their 2nd round pick. 

Yes and then we could draft someone later like Milton or Pratt.
Reply/Quote
I don't wanna veer off-topic but in terms of a "trade that could help us win" I wouldn't be surprised if Dax was being peddled right now. Yes we can run more 3-safety looks like this. Yes Hilton's a free agent next year. And even if we re-sign him, maybe Dax is better suited to be the jack of all trades anyway. That could all be true. But there are still a lot of bodies in the DB room and Dax looks like he doesn't have a home. We can sugarcoat it all we want but he's been demoted in a way that's not typical of a first round pick. As such, his greatest value to us may be as a trade chip and I wonder if we'll see something come of that at the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 09:20 PM)tms Wrote: I don't wanna veer off-topic but in terms of a "trade that could help us win" I wouldn't be surprised if Dax was being peddled right now. Yes we can run more 3-safety looks like this. Yes Hilton's a free agent next year. And even if we re-sign him, maybe Dax is better suited to be the jack of all trades anyway. That could all be true. But there are still a lot of bodies in the DB room and Dax looks like he doesn't have a home. We can sugarcoat it all we want but he's been demoted in a way that's not typical of a first round pick. As such, his greatest value to us may be as a trade chip and I wonder if we'll see something come of that at the draft.

Definitely an original thought. Dax is very talented and just hasn't been used right here yet and that is an understatement.

Would rather have him here though as our next Slot Corner after Hilton though, I still have very high hopes for Dax.
Reply/Quote
Browning came out of the gate strong enough to have solid trade value but did not finish what he started enough to command much in trade. Nothing in first couple rounds anyway and I am one of his biggest supporters.

The draft is QB rich, believe some predict 6 will go in the first round and Denver sits at 12 primed to get one easily and suspect that is their plan. Having a QB on a rookie salary does not hurt their cap either. Now they may make trade for him at back up QB value.

Browning would probably bring just slightly more than Mixon presently and bring a 5th round selection, maybe a late 4th. Think it's best for the Bengals to keep him over what he would bring in return personally. Had he proved himself to be a #1 ? Then I would trade him in a second per he would just leave for free after this season anyway as Tee will do if not signed.

To be fair he may be #1 worthy but only had a short window to make the showing and did not prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. But yes if they offered what OP purposed I would accept and still trade Tee too.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 09:20 PM)tms Wrote: I don't wanna veer off-topic but in terms of a "trade that could help us win" I wouldn't be surprised if Dax was being peddled right now. Yes we can run more 3-safety looks like this. Yes Hilton's a free agent next year. And even if we re-sign him, maybe Dax is better suited to be the jack of all trades anyway. That could all be true. But there are still a lot of bodies in the DB room and Dax looks like he doesn't have a home. We can sugarcoat it all we want but he's been demoted in a way that's not typical of a first round pick. As such, his greatest value to us may be as a trade chip and I wonder if we'll see something come of that at the draft.

Dax experiment to take over for Bates last year did not work. I do think Dax has a home with us. He is athletic and does not need to start to be a major contributor.

I am hopeful we play more with the lead in the 4th quarter. If so, Dax can be added on passing downs as extra DB/Safety and used a lot of ways including blitzing. 

Lou needs to figure out a way to utilize his strengths. It is not a great comparison, but Ravens revamped their entire offense when the drafted Jackson. 

I don't think our defense needs a complete make over, but I do think Lou needs to find ways for our great athletes on defense to succeed. 

Ravens drafted Kyle Hamilton and use him in ways they never used safeties prior to his arrival.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 06:34 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Browning came out of the gate strong enough to have solid trade value but did not finish what he started enough to command much in trade. Nothing in first couple rounds anyway and I am one of his biggest supporters.

The draft is QB rich, believe some predict 6 will go in the first round and Denver sits at 12 primed to get one easily and suspect that is their plan. Having a QB on a rookie salary does not hurt their cap either. Now they may make trade for him at back up QB value.

Browning would probably bring just slightly more than Mixon presently and bring a 5th round selection, maybe a late 4th. Think it's best for the Bengals to keep him over what he would bring in return personally.  Had he proved himself to be a #1 ? Then I would trade him in a second per he would just leave for free after this season anyway as Tee will do if not signed.

To be fair he may be #1 worthy but only had a short window to make the showing and did not prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. But yes if they offered what OP purposed I would accept and still trade Tee too.

To be clear, I like an unexpensive (now proven) backup QB. His salary helps us a lot since Joe soon will be very expensive. If I am the Bengals, there is no way I was just give him away for a 4th round pick who may or may not make our team. Any trade must work for both sides. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote