Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade up in Rd 2???
I know it has not been the Bengal's M.O. to trade up for some time now, but here is a possible scenario:

With the loss of Reggie Nelson to FA, that makes SIX players(MLJ, Sanu, Andre Smith, Lamur, Dingleberry, and Reggie) lost to FA with ZERO in terms of "gains". The players they signed were released.

That could yield the maximum (four, I believe) in terms of compensatory picks next year. With at least two of them coming in the third round. I don't know that for certain, but if you theorize the formula and plug in the most expensive FA signings around the league, the Bengals lost several of the top signings (MLJ, Sanu, Reggie). You figure there are 40 compensatory picks in all, and I would think that means 8 in each round (3, 4, 5, and 6).

So, here is my idea: Those picks are trade-able next season. If the Bengals wanted to move up in the second round of this year (ahead of WR-needing teams like St. Louis and the Vikings), they could swap second rounders this year and offer up their third round selection next year. They would already have at least two other third rounders next season, and it would (potentially) give them the ability to get the WR they covet (Sterling Shepard, please?) in the upper half of round 2.

They will know if the Rams or Vikes will likely be going WR in Round 2 by their first round selections.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we had some comp pick maybe, but I think trading down in the 1st to get more picks is more likely.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 10:37 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If we had some comp pick maybe, but I think trading down in the 1st to get more picks is more likely.

This wouldn't prevent that.  

If there is a CB, DT, and a DE that they have ranked similarly high, they could slide a few spots and gain a third rounder.  They could still execute my idea in the second round of this year to move ahead of the Rams and Vikes.  The only difference would be they would have two third rounders this year.  Actually, that would be a pretty awesome scenario.  Come out of this year's draft with two Top 50 players and four in the Top 100.  
Reply/Quote
I could see this but for the opposite...

We take a WR in the 1st and trade up to get a top defensive player that had dropped in the 2nd (Kenny Clark, Darron Lee, Reggie Ragland, Andrew Billings, etc.)
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 09:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know it has not been the Bengal's M.O. to trade up for some time now, but here is a possible scenario:

With the loss of Reggie Nelson to FA, that makes SIX players(MLJ, Sanu, Andre Smith, Lamur, Dingleberry, and Reggie) lost to FA with ZERO in terms of "gains".  The players they signed were released.

That could yield the maximum (four, I believe) in terms of compensatory picks next year.  With at least two of them coming in the third round.  I don't know that for certain, but if you theorize the formula and plug in the most expensive FA signings around the league, the Bengals lost several of the top signings (MLJ, Sanu, Reggie).  You figure there are 40 compensatory picks in all, and I would think that means 8 in each round (3, 4, 5, and 6).

So, here is my idea:  Those picks are trade-able next season.  If the Bengals wanted to move up in the second round of this year (ahead of WR-needing teams like St. Louis and the Vikings), they could swap second rounders this year and offer up their third round selection next year.  They would already have at least two other third rounders next season, and it would (potentially) give them the ability to get the WR they covet (Sterling Shepard, please?) in the upper half of round 2.  

They will know if the Rams or Vikes will likely be going WR in Round 2 by their first round selections.

Thoughts?

If the Vikings, Rams, or Texans don't select a WR in the first round, it would (very likely) mean that the Bengals would be able to select one of Coleman, Treadwell, or Doctson at 24. If one is there, I expect the Bengals to take one of them. If the above teams DO take a WR in the first round and it causes the Bengals to take someone other than WR at 24, there should still be plenty of WR talent at 55 since the three previously mentioned teams will (very likely) not take a WR then in the second.

I don't expect all of Treadwell, Doctson, Coleman, Fuller, Thomas, Shepard, Boyd, and Cooper to be gone by 55. At least one will be available.

Sit and wait to 55 or trade back from 24 to get an extra mid-round pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think if any trade is to be made will be sliding back a few spots in Rd 1, This gains us a 3rd or 4th rounder and that would be ideal in this years draft. One of the WR's will be there when we pick at 55, no need to overdraft. DE/DT is the ideal choice in RD 1, we play in a tough division and we need a solid front 7. We have AJ, Eifert, Gio, and Hill. Our offense is already solid, we just need a solid slot guy and Wideout depth. We can get that guy in RD 2 or RD 4.
Reply/Quote
With salaries in this year's free agency it's unlikely the Bengals will get two 3rd compensatory picks and a 4th rounder might be the highest they get.

Secondly, we just don't trade up much and never have. I can only think of three times we have in our history, though it may be four or five times. That's about it over the last 48 years. An average of once every ten years and we last did it a couple of years ago for Bodine in the 4th round.

I agree with Milk in that we are more likely to trade down in the first round. It all depends on how the draft unfolds.

Reply/Quote
As far as next years comps go, we lost some good signings to other teams and we will get comps but no one really signed an enormous suh type contract. I think we get 4 picks and they will be IMHO:

4th--MJones
5th-Sanu
6th-Nelson
6th-Smith

with that in mind I could see us trading up say in the 5th round to get "our guy" and giving up next years 6th rounder.
Reply/Quote
If we make an early trade i think it will be down in the 1st as others have said.

I could see us trading up in the 3rd round if the FO really likes a player but not in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 11:00 AM)milksheikh Wrote: I could see this but for the opposite...

We take a WR in the 1st and trade up to get a top defensive player that had dropped in the 2nd (Kenny Clark, Darron Lee, Reggie Ragland, Andrew Billings, etc.)

That's possible....the Rams and Vikes can dictate which way we go.  FWIW, I would be VERY surprised if those three were available even in the middle or round 2.  
Reply/Quote
I could easily see it should they see the depth at certain positions evaporating.  Should there be a run on WRs or DTs but not enough of a run to where all of the guys they have with a 2nd round grade are gone then I'd hope that they would pull the trigger on a plan like this.
Reply/Quote
I would be mad if we gave up a 3rd to move up a few spots in the second. There has been some action in the first lately that had teams moving up for a 4th.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 04:08 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: As far as next years comps go, we lost some good signings to other teams and we will get comps but no one really signed an enormous suh type contract. I think we get 4 picks and they will be IMHO:

4th--MJones
5th-Sanu
6th-Nelson
6th-Smith

with that in mind I could see us trading up say in the 5th round to get "our guy" and giving up next years 6th rounder.

Too lazy to look but I believe part of the comp formula is production.  Jones should have no issue putting up stats in Detriot, Sanu is not in a bad spot and they're paying him to get touches.  I'm thinking 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th overall but it's early. 
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 11:11 PM)phil413 Wrote: Too lazy to look but I believe part of the comp formula is production.  Jones should have no issue putting up stats in Detriot, Sanu is not in a bad spot and they're paying him to get touches.  I'm thinking 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th overall but it's early. 
And post season honors. So rooting for MJ Sanu Reggie and Andre to stay healthy and make the pro bowl
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 02:07 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: And post season honors. So rooting for MJ Sanu Reggie and Andre to stay healthy and make the pro bowl

Actually, some of that could happen. MLJ is now the #1 in Detroit and he can burn teams deep which minimizes double teams.

Mo is the one i doubt does well. Julio isn't any better than AJ or if he is it ain't by much and Mo didn't have much production here.
Doubt Mo ever makes the Pro bowl, but he was a 3rd round pick.

Reggie could make the Probowl again this year and is the most likely IMHO. Problem is Alex Smith and Rivers don't throw Ints.

Andre has talent, who knows? He might gain back some weight and be a freak run blocker for AP.
Reply/Quote