Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading Up
We have the top of 2nd round pick. Who would you "go up" for if the 1st round panned out to about the 26th pick and "your guy" wasn't taken?

Not sure what the trade points chart-wise would be but...

I'd think it would have to be an OL or LB.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I believe there are only four players worth it for the Bengals to trade up for...Isaiah Simmons, Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton and all four are to large of gap from 33.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:56 PM)Synric Wrote: I believe there are only four players worth it for the Bengals to trade up for...Isaiah Simmons, Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton and all four are to large of gap from 33.

I'd add Andrew Thomas to this list. 
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see how many trades take place since everyone is working apart from each other unless of course, they break rules. With only 7 minutes between picks in the 2nd round that is not a lot of time for complicated negotiations when it can be difficult to talk to all the pertinent decision-makers in time to conclude a deal

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t trade up. I think we need every pick that we have. Trading up into the bottom of the first would probably be too costly and I’d like to keep our picks in the first four rounds.
Reply/Quote
If one of the top 4 Lbs was left when we get to 25 pick.. I would say yes if they feel that high for that player.. it seems a much bigger gap from most projections when you get after top 4 LBs.. guards and WRs seem deep so less reason to trade up.. In many mocks the top 4 LBs are getting picked in 1st round and then a long gap between the next LB picked
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 06:28 PM)pally Wrote: It will be interesting to see how many trades take place since everyone is working apart from each other unless of course, they break rules.  With only 7 minutes between picks in the 2nd round that is not a lot of time for complicated negotiations when it can be difficult to talk to all the pertinent decision-makers in time to conclude a deal

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say before the draft starts, they announce teams have more time between picks.
Reply/Quote
For a can't miss OT I could see it. Otherwise, this may be a really good year to trade down. This roster needs depth at LB, OT, WR, and EDGE;  not just a spot or two.
Reply/Quote
I think Josh Jones is a must get after 26 and will be better than Becton, who is a project, and Austin Jackson, who is Cedric Ogbuehi 2.0.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:56 PM)Synric Wrote: I believe there are only four players worth it for the Bengals to trade up for...Isaiah Simmons, Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton and all four are to large of gap from 33.

Agreed, just too spendy and we can hang out at 33 and either take a steal or trade back if one of the best guys don't fall and 
add a pick. Don't lose one if you can help it, we only have 7 picks and we have the most valuable picks in every round. We can 
possibly have a steal fall to us more than any team. I trade back if there is a chance to snatch up said player a few picks later.
Reply/Quote
Depends on how much they value the 5th year contract option for 1st rounders.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 06:30 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wouldn’t trade up. I think we need every pick that we have. Trading up into the bottom of the first would probably be too costly and I’d like to keep our picks in the first four rounds.

With the very first pick in each round its like having 4 picks in top three rounds. I agree about keeping all of our top picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 09:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm just going to go out on a limb and say before the draft starts, they announce teams have more time between picks.

I'm not so sure. It's already going to be more of a struggle with no crowd shots/players waiting to be picked etc to fill the time between picks than normal. After the first round are people really going to want to wait longer to see who is picked? There may be a few big names left at the top of the second round but by the time you are at pick 50 that's going to be an awful lot of dead time.

What I think the NFL should do is spread the draft out more. Have one round every Thursday night for 7 weeks. It allows for more build-up for each round and a chance for the players in the third round and beyond become better known. If you have a week of speculation about what's going to happen in round 4 it doesn't get as lost as it currently does. The public get to know the new players more and the NFL can have 7 nights of prime time viewing plus 7 previews, 7 re-caps etc. It also gives more time for trades to be worked out (which creates more interest, publicity etc).

Also, the cost of trading back into the first wouldn't be worth it. The Bengals need more picks, not fewer.
Reply/Quote
If we could do for the 2nd and 4th for an end of the 1st and a 5th you make that deal, don't know if it would be enough
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 03:31 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: With the very first pick in each round its like having 4 picks in top three rounds. I agree about keeping all of our top picks.

Only problem is all the damn compensatory picks at the bottom of Rd 3....The one year we don't have any.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 07:01 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I'm not so sure. It's already going to be more of a struggle with no crowd shots/players waiting to be picked etc to fill the time between picks than normal. After the first round are people really going to want to wait longer to see who is picked? There may be a few big names left at the top of the second round but by the time you are at pick 50 that's going to be an awful lot of dead time.

What I think the NFL should do is spread the draft out more. Have one round every Thursday night for 7 weeks. It allows for more build-up for each round and a chance for the players in the third round and beyond become better known. If you have a week of speculation about what's going to happen in round 4 it doesn't get as lost as it currently does. The public get to know the new players more and the NFL can have 7 nights of prime time viewing plus 7 previews, 7 re-caps etc. It also gives more time for trades to be worked out (which creates more interest, publicity etc).

Also, the cost of trading back into the first wouldn't be worth it. The Bengals need more picks, not fewer.

I would hate that. Keep it over 3 nights.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 06:28 PM)pally Wrote: It will be interesting to see how many trades take place since everyone is working apart from each other unless of course, they break rules.  With only 7 minutes between picks in the 2nd round that is not a lot of time for complicated negotiations when it can be difficult to talk to all the pertinent decision-makers in time to conclude a deal

31 telephones in the war room?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 07:01 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I'm not so sure. It's already going to be more of a struggle with no crowd shots/players waiting to be picked etc to fill the time between picks than normal. After the first round are people really going to want to wait longer to see who is picked? There may be a few big names left at the top of the second round but by the time you are at pick 50 that's going to be an awful lot of dead time.

A seven week draft?  That's madness.  I believe they have talked about a seven night draft and even that went over like a lead balloon.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
From the Commish the Draft will carry on as scheduled over the 3 days

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-planning-to-run-a-full-32-team-mock-draft-in-advance-of-remote-2020-nfl-draft-per-report/
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 11:34 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I would hate that. Keep it over 3 nights.

I think it is a great idea but just for this year when there is absolutely no other sports to watch or talk about.

And since they don't even need an arena or auditorium for the draft crowd there is no reason they could not split it up over more dates.
Reply/Quote