Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Trading draft picks.
Imo,we have 0 holes this coming free agency assuming we sign burfict and eifert. We have a bunch of rookies that we need to stay on. We need to trade our entire draft classes the next 2 years minus our first rounders for first and second rounders. So in the 2020 draft class we would end up with 3 first and 3 second round picks. I just don't see rookies making the team with who we have unless it's oline. We're STACKED at dline, STACKED at wr STACKED secondary, STACKED at lb, good on oline, etc. so we would still get first round picks next 2 years but that's it. No way another 5 rookies make the team. And in 2020 we need a elite wr, elite cb, elite lb.
Reply/Quote
What? I can think of several good reasons to do the entire draft, every year.

1. Injuries. Fact is, they happen. And then, you're only as good as your 1st man off the bench, at that position.

2. Depth. It is important to have good, young talent always pushing the vets for roster spots.

3. Special Teams. You don't want to risk your starters on 'teams. Heck, some guys (Cedric Peerman, for one) make a living out of being a special teamer.

4. Finances. This team may look good right now, but in a couple years, several top quality vets are all going to command max deals, in the same offseason. If you don't want a total rebuild, then you better have some quality young stock on the shelf.

5. Jackpot factor. Truth is, a lot of late round guys develop into superstars. Look at George Iloka. He was what a 5th or 6th round pick? Now, he's upper tier for his position. This team does well in the middle rounds, as well. Just look at Geno Atkins and Clint Boling, both 4th rounders, I believe.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 06:52 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Imo,we have 0 holes this coming free agency assuming we sign burfict and eifert. We have a bunch of rookies that we need to stay on. We need to trade our entire draft classes the next 2 years minus our first rounders for first and second rounders. So in the 2020 draft class we would end up with 3 first and 3 second round picks. I just don't see rookies making the team with who we have unless it's oline. We're STACKED at dline, STACKED at wr STACKED secondary, STACKED at lb, good on oline, etc. so we would still get first round picks next 2 years but that's it. No way another 5 rookies make the team. And in 2020 we need a elite wr, elite cb, elite lb.

Recipe for disaster. To do that you would have to hit on the few picks you do make. You'd have to avoid injuries. You'd have to be willing to plunge into free agency when necessary. The idea is to stockpile picks. How would the mike Williams have worked for us this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What? I can think of several good reasons to do the entire draft, every year.

1. Injuries. Fact is, they happen. And then, you're only as good as your 1st man off the bench, at that position.

2. Depth. It is important to have good, young talent always pushing the vets for roster spots.

3. Special Teams. You don't want to risk your starters on 'teams. Heck, some guys (Cedric Peerman, for one) make a living out of being a special teamer.

4. Finances. This team may look good right now, but in a couple years, several top quality vets are all going to command max deals, in the same offseason. If you don't want a total rebuild, then you better have some quality young stock on the shelf.

5. Jackpot factor. Truth is, a lot of late round guys develop into superstars. Look at George Iloka. He was what a 5th or 6th round pick? Now, he's upper tier for his position. This team does well in the middle rounds, as well. Just look at Geno Atkins and Clint Boling, both 4th rounders, I believe.
My point is, I believe we have depth. I mean think about it. Look at the depth we have. We have depth to cover the injuries and what not. We need to make a big move in a couple years for a rebuild. I mean our 7th round pick will probably be stolen from us. And we're gonnna have at least 9 picks next year so the question is u believe that our depth is so bad that 20 rookies make the 53 man roster? I don't so trade them for the future.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 08:43 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Recipe for disaster. To do that you would have to hit on the few picks you do make. You'd have to avoid injuries. You'd have to be willing to plunge into free agency when necessary. The idea is to stockpile picks. How would the mike Williams have worked for us this year?

Yes stockpile picks. But look. Dline is absolutely stacked with a bunch of first and second year players. Lb is absolutely stacked as well, with mitner, Lawson, burfict, vigil, Rey, plus a couple others. Secondary we already know. Offense we already know. So only place we don't have major star talent and depth at is oline. U don't need 9 picks for that. Half wouldn't even make the 53 man roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 02:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Yes stockpile picks. But look. Dline is absolutely stacked with a bunch of first and second year players. Lb is absolutely stacked as well, with mitner, Lawson, burfict, vigil, Rey, plus a couple others. Secondary we already know. Offense we already know. So only place we don't have major star talent and depth at is oline. U don't need 9 picks for that. Half wouldn't even make the 53 man roster.

You can't trade picks and stockpile picks.  The dline may be stacked, currently, but what about injuries or guys that don't cut it?  What about building depth and being to let a guy walk because you have to resign one of your other stars?  Lb's stacked?  Again, for now.  Burfict and minter are on one year deals.  Lawson is an unproven rookie learning lb in the nfl.  Vigil is in his first year as a starter.   This doesn't even touch the possible holes on the o line, secondary, and possibly rb and tight end.  

No thanks, I'll keep my picks
Reply/Quote
Ok, in all fairness, there is no way in the world that this would happen. It's just not realistic.

That being said, I think you are overestimating the quality of the roster. At this point I see the following MAJOR holes:

Center
LT
RG

Areas of need at:

S (I'm not sold on Williams)

Plus, you have absolutely no idea if ANY of this year's draft class will actually be any good.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 04:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Ok, in all fairness, there is no way in the world that this would happen.  It's just not realistic.

That being said, I think you are overestimating the quality of the roster.   At this point I see the following MAJOR holes:

Center
LT
RG

Areas of need at:

Plus, you have absolutely no idea if ANY of this year's draft class will actually be any good.

I mostly agree with this viewpoint.
A majority of positions are set....for now.

OL there are two clear needs (C, RG) and potentially two more if one or both Fisher and Ogbuehi struggle yet again.
Is LB a need after this year if Minter goes elsewhere in FA? I think it is.
Starting safety might be fine, but there's room for an upgrade. However, a depth pick to eventually replace Derron Smith is most likely to happen, as he's entering a contract year in 2018 and has had durability issues limiting his impact/growth.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 04:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Ok, in all fairness, there is no way in the world that this would happen. It's just not realistic.

That being said, I think you are overestimating the quality of the roster. At this point I see the following MAJOR holes:

Center
LT
RG

Areas of need at:

I agree that those are major holes. But again they're most likely gonna resign bodine. We know this. Dosent matter if everyone in the world knows he sucks it's not gonna happen. They're not gonna give up on ogbuehi. I was basing all of this on what we know they aren't gonna do like draft a olineman. And I believe they believe Hopkins is the future rg.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 01:47 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: You can't trade picks and stockpile picks.  The dline may be stacked, currently, but what about injuries or guys that don't cut it?  What about building depth and being to let a guy walk because you have to resign one of your other stars?  Lb's stacked?  Again, for now.  Burfict and minter are on one year deals.  Lawson is an unproven rookie learning lb in the nfl.  Vigil is in his first year as a starter.   This doesn't even touch the possible holes on the o line, secondary, and possibly rb and tight end.  

No thanks, I'll keep my picks

U do realize we have to cut 6 I say again 6 players on the defensive line! A couple are second/third year players drafted in the third round who were injured. So yes we have to many players as it is that haven't even gotten a chance. Lbs are stacked. I based this off of resigning minter, burfict, and eifert.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 02:35 AM)Jpoore Wrote: U do realize we have to cut 6 I say again 6 players on the defensive line! A couple are second/third year players drafted in the third round who were injured. So yes we have to many players as it is that haven't even gotten a chance. Lbs are stacked. I based this off of resigning minter, burfict, and eifert.

Yes I realize we will have to cut players we drafted. Every team does. We got that way because we made a lot of picks. I would rather be in that position than having to claim a bunch of cast offs because the few picks we made got hurt or didn't pan out.

I realize that we are also just going to have to agree to disagree.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 02:33 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I agree that those are major holes. But again they're most likely gonna resign bodine. We know this. Dosent matter if everyone in the world knows he sucks it's not gonna happen. They're not gonna give up on ogbuehi. I was basing all of this on what we know they aren't gonna do like draft a olineman. And I believe they believe Hopkins is the future rg.

No, we don't know that.  EVERYONE thought the Bengals would resign Ghiacuc back when he was a free agent.  Heck, even Hobson said he would get the largest free agent contract for a center that year.

Guess what happened?  He didn't get a sniff on the market and ended up signing late for a very low deal.

And there is NO CHANCE that they don't bring in a LT if Ced plays as poorly as he did last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 01:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: No, we don't know that.  EVERYONE thought the Bengals would resign Ghiacuc back when he was a free agent.  Heck, even Hobson said he would get the largest free agent contract for a center that year.

Guess what happened?  He didn't get a sniff on the market and ended up signing late for a very low deal.

And there is NO CHANCE that they don't bring in a LT if Ced plays as poorly as he did last year.

Really? U really think they're gonna give up on a player they think is playing great. Let's see we have a center on our team that backs up what im saying.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 06:01 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Really? U really think they're gonna give up on a player they think is playing great. Let's see we have a center on our team that backs up what im saying.

Well, they've done it before.  Ghiacuc was a free agent and they let him walk.

If Ced plays as bad as he did last year then nobody is going to claim that he is playing well.
Reply/Quote