Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trai Turner
Are they going to get this done? Turner has been liking tweets reference coming to Cincinnati. I know the club has been in contact, but no news....
Reply/Quote
I believe Shula was running a zone scheme (more inside zone than outside) in Carolina when Turner was doing well there. Maybe the fall from grace was the scheme, but the fall has been undeniable. The fact Carolina wanted him gone was obviously a red flag and the issues in LA don't help. That said, I think he is a solid piece to have to go into the draft because it allows you to see what the board says. You want to go into the draft with at least a plan at each position and he provides a potentially solid option, at least one with upside, at RG IF something better doesn't fall.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:56 AM)Au165 Wrote: I believe Shula was running a zone scheme (more inside zone than outside) in Carolina when Turner was doing well there. Maybe the fall from grace was the scheme, but the fall has been undeniable. The fact Carolina wanted him gone was obviously a red flag and the issues in LA don't help. That said, I think he is a solid piece to have to go into the draft because it allows you to see what the board says. You want to go into the draft with at least a plan at each position and he provides a potentially solid option, at least one with upside, at RG IF something better doesn't fall.

They say he's looking for a one year prove it deal. I don't see how it could hurt.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 12:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They say he's looking for a one year prove it deal. I don't see how it could hurt.

1 year 3 million with incentives would work for me. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 12:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They say he's looking for a one year prove it deal. I don't see how it could hurt.

(03-22-2021, 12:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: 1 year 3 million with incentives would work for me. 

Agreed.
The Bengals currently only have XSF and Jordan on the roster for OG spots. You can't really consider Sutherland for anything, and we've seen what Johnson can (or can't) do at OG.
The Bengals should not plan to have Jordan start and really shouldn't bank on XSF either. The best bet would be to get someone like Trai Turner in FA as a 1-year rental to see if he can return to quality form. They also should draft an OG (or OT who can play OG) to compete with XSF for a starting spot.
$3-4 mill seems more than fair for a 1-year rental at this point into FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Trai Turner would be a positive signing at low risk. In the two years at Carolina, his final grades were 64.5 & 63.9. That would constitute an upgrade for the Bengals.

Also, his o-line coach at the Chargers James Campen was more of a gap/power guy than what he ran his years prior. Campen was fired at the offseason. In fact, he is on his 4th team in as many years. His status is declining league-wide. His claim to fame is turning mid and late round draft picks into pro-bowlers (Linsey, Bakhtiari, etc.). That now appears more on the Green Bay’s FO.

Also, the notion that Johnson, Adeniji and even Hopkins can’t play guard is misplaced IMO. Hopkins continues to get better and the time he was playing at G is a while ago. FJ & HA have small sample sizes and no line chemistry to rely on. I’d leave it to Pollack and his zone scheme to be the ultimate judge of that.
Reply/Quote
Anybody saying he is.looking for a one year deal is crazy. He is a o lineman. He will take the best deal for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 03:25 PM)Mark123 Wrote: Anybody saying he is.looking for a one year deal is crazy. He is a o lineman. He will take the best deal for him.

Which would probably be a one year deal....

Pro Bowl Guard Trai Turner Likes Idea of Signing With Cincinnati Bengals to Block for Joe Burrow - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

Quote:Turner struggled for most of the 2020 season. He suffered an ankle injury in training camp and a groin injury kept him out of seven games. His Pro Football Focus grades are awful, but he only allowed one sack and two quarterback hits. 

If the Bengals signed him, a short-term "prove-it" deal could benefit both sides. Turner could re-establish his market value and Cincinnati would address their biggest need before the 2021 NFL Draft.  
Reply/Quote
Bengals apparently haven't even contacted him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
That's strange....

Quote:Malik Wright
@Wrightreportt
Btw the Bengals have already been in contact with Trai Turner . Flexed biceps
10:19 PM · Mar 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Retweets
Quote Tweets
Who to believe on the internet nowadays.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Which would probably be a one year deal....

Pro Bowl Guard Trai Turner Likes Idea of Signing With Cincinnati Bengals to Block for Joe Burrow - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

Not going to lie I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy that wants to block for our QB. Maybe he just didn't want to block for Cam Newton and Josh Allen (Although I like Allen why wouldn't anyone want to block for him?).
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 01:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.
The Bengals currently only have XSF and Jordan on the roster for OG spots. You can't really consider Sutherland for anything, and we've seen what Johnson can (or can't) do at OG.
The Bengals should not plan to have Jordan start and really shouldn't bank on XSF either. The best bet would be to get someone like Trai Turner in FA as a 1-year rental to see if he can return to quality form. They also should draft an OG (or OT who can play OG) to compete with XSF for a starting spot.
$3-4 mill seems more than fair for a 1-year rental at this point into FA.

I think Adeniji could be a good OG but I think he's better at RT tho. I still think he has  good potential and maybe Pollack can help him.
Reply/Quote
We need to sign or draft two guards at the very least. We currently don't have a starting quality guard on the roster (using the term "starting quality" very generously here. We have an average to below average guard in XSF and then everyone else is an abject disaster.)
Reply/Quote

Where did you hear this?  It seems like the Bengals would want to offer a one year prove-it deal, and Turner would want more.  If Turner is unwilling to bet on himself in this manner, you have to wonder about his confidence.  

I fear a lot of guys that had off years because they didn't condition right on their own during quarantine will have trouble ever getting back to form.

All that being said, I hope he doesn't get a multi-year elsewhere and signs here for a reasonable amount.  He could be a very solid RG for this team, or LG should they get Sewell and Reiff moves to RG. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 10:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Where did you hear this?  It seems like the Bengals would want to offer a one year prove-it deal, and Turner would want more.  If Turner is unwilling to bet on himself in this manner, you have to wonder about his confidence.  

I fear a lot of guys that had off years because they didn't condition right on their own during quarantine will have trouble ever getting back to form.

All that being said, I hope he doesn't get a multi-year elsewhere and signs here for a reasonable amount.  He could be a very solid RG for this team, or LG should they get Sewell and Reiff moves to RG. 

Because he was not good last year, and does not have the tape to command a lot of money at this point. He missed 7 games, and his PFF scores suck.  He needs to put together a good season this season, then go for a long term deal next year with the higher cap. He's not going to get big money this year. He has to prove he's healthy..... of course, some team could prove me wrong, I just hope it's not the Bengals. I'd like him to sign, but I don't want to be stuck with him if he can't get back to Pro Bowl form.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:51 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Not going to lie I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy that wants to block for our QB. Maybe he just didn't want to block for Cam Newton and Josh Allen (Although I like Allen why wouldn't anyone want to block for him?).

im sure hes just saying things like that to potentially get paid.. Id like to block for anyone if it means millions of dollars.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 11:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: im sure hes just saying things like that to potentially get paid.. Id like to block for anyone if it means millions of dollars.

That was all tongue in cheek
Reply/Quote
If he is in shape I am for Trai, if not, no thanks. Evidently he got out of shape which led to his poor play and injuries.
Reply/Quote