Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates
(08-13-2019, 12:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: Turner had this to say about Jordan...

“It has nothing to do with who is actually going to be the starter. You have to give them all a chance to play with the 1s,” Turner said after practice. “This is Mike’s time to get a shot with the 1s. It really comes down to that. It’s a little quicker than we thought it was going to be because he played so well in the first game. Because he played so well in the first game we want to see what he can do with the first team. When you play with those better players on the first team, you should have more of a chance to shine yourself. We want to give him that opportunity.”

He also said Trey got a shot with the 1's because he played well in KC,but Price has also played well.

(08-13-2019, 12:59 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I will have to agree to disagree. I played 8 years. I started playing with second stringers when I started becoming terrible (in my defense I had grown incredibly out of shape from my health). It was a wake up call and not a good one. I'm a nobody, so, I imagine, someone of Billy's level/talent, playing seconds...I'd have a hard time seeing this as 'no big deal'. It absolutely could be, but I don't see it that way.

What Whatever wrote above; this is what I meant.

They want to mix guys up just to see how everyone plays with each other and all that jazz, hence why I think this isn't that big a deal :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 12:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They're not very good centers. Price was a bad center last year. Possibly the worst starting Center in the NFL. Hopkins came in and was below average, but looked better because Price was so bad.

Ok Negative Nancy, in your opinion (not fact) you think Price and Hudson are bad with a zero % chance to get better in 2019???

So no NFL player ever got better in year 2 in your opinion. Got it!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think at this point, just put Price at RG (if MJ wins LG) and roll with Hopkins. Price not working out at C doesn't mean he was a wasted pick. He was a pretty good guard in college and that might just be the best fit for him. It's good to see this coaching staff considering all options instead of going with the flow. Hopkins according to PFF wasn't good at C either, but he was steady and that's the best we can hope for at this point.

It's just disappointing because now John Miller will sit the bench and we could've used his salary to get a half-decent linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Ok Negative Nancy, in your opinion (not fact) you think Price and Hudson are bad with a zero % chance to get better in 2019???

So no NFL player ever got better in year 2 in your opinion. Got it!

Perhaps you missed this post. (And I said Hopkins was below average at Center.)

THE PISTONS Wrote: [url=http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Training-Camp-News-Notes-Updates?pid=740574#pid740574][/url]

No doubt Price was terrible last year. But, he has a chance to improve and be good.

At age 27 after being in the league this long, what you see is what you get with Hopkins.

This year should be about developing young guys...not playing low ceiling veterans to try to eek out an extra win.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:16 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I think at this point, just put Price at RG (if MJ wins LG) and roll with Hopkins. Price not working out at C doesn't mean he was a wasted pick. He was a pretty good guard in college and that might just be the best fit for him. It's good to see this coaching staff considering all options instead of going with the flow. Hopkins according to PFF wasn't good at C either, but he was steady and that's the best we can hope for at this point.

It's just disappointing because now John Miller will sit the bench and we could've used his salary to get a half-decent linebacker.

We had the money to sign a LB even with Miller.

There's like a 0% chance that they play Price at Guard over Miller.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:16 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I think at this point, just put Price at RG (if MJ wins LG) and roll with Hopkins. Price not working out at C doesn't mean he was a wasted pick. He was a pretty good guard in college and that might just be the best fit for him. It's good to see this coaching staff considering all options instead of going with the flow. Hopkins according to PFF wasn't good at C either, but he was steady and that's the best we can hope for at this point.

Gaah Do you people not read?
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 12:19 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Honestly, I'm okay with that.

It was nice seeing Dalton last game not run for his life or have a disgusting jersey. 

Dalton didn't play in the last game with Hopkins at C. Saturday night, Price was the center for all of Dalton's snaps.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Perhaps you missed this post. (And I said Hopkins was below average at Center.)

THE PISTONS Wrote: [url=http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Training-Camp-News-Notes-Updates?pid=740574#pid740574][/url]

No doubt Price was terrible last year. But, he has a chance to improve and be good.

At age 27 after being in the league this long, what you see is what you get with Hopkins.

This year should be about developing young guys...not playing low ceiling veterans to try to eek out an extra win.

Hopkins is are smartest OL Guy... who has played well where ever we asked...

Id play him any day over a high drafted pick that hes outperforming.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 12:59 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I will have to agree to disagree. I played 8 years. I started playing with second stringers when I started becoming terrible (in my defense I had grown incredibly out of shape from my health). It was a wake up call and not a good one. I'm a nobody, so, I imagine, someone of Billy's level/talent, playing seconds...I'd have a hard time seeing this as 'no big deal'. It absolutely could be, but I don't see it that way.

Agreed if he is demoted then he is doing something wrong. Maybe it can be used as a reality check for him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hopkins is are smartest OL Guy... who has played well where ever we asked...

Id play him any day over a high drafted pick that hes outperforming.

According to FootballOutsiders Hopkins only played 31 more snaps than Price last year (589 to 558) but allowed twice as many sacks (3 to 1.5) and had more missed blocks (13 to 11).

Price was a rookie playing injured most of the season.  He has tons of room to grow.  At 27 Hopkins is not suddenly going to make a huge improvement.
Reply/Quote
Ahem...….

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-report-o-line-shuffle-defines-gritty-day-here-comes-mr-jordan-part-ii

"Turner let rookie Michael Jordan run with the ones at left guard earlier than he wanted to involve the team’s youngest player and for good measure he put Mr. Utility Trey Hopkins next to him at center while starter Billy Price worked with the twos. Turner wasn’t calling it a demotion and hinted there would be more movement before the Sept. 8 opener in Seattle."
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Dalton didn't play in the last game with Hopkins at C. Saturday night, Price was the center for all of Dalton's snaps.

I didn't dispute that and that wasn't an attack on Billy at all. I'm all for Billy succeeding (and every player on the team). I'm just saying, out of context (especially in that conversation) that it was nice seeing Dalton not get all ginger red running for his life

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
OT Kent Perkins, who wasn't going to make the team anyway, is retiring. In his 3rd season he has spent the majority of his career on the PS. A jersey retirement ceremony will be held later this season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 12:59 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I will have to agree to disagree. I played 8 years. I started playing with second stringers when I started becoming terrible (in my defense I had grown incredibly out of shape from my health). It was a wake up call and not a good one. I'm a nobody, so, I imagine, someone of Billy's level/talent, playing seconds...I'd have a hard time seeing this as 'no big deal'. It absolutely could be, but I don't see it that way.

Turner did say Price was not being demoted.  So, either it's what he said or he's a big fat liar.  I've never met Jim Turner, so I don't know which it is and have to take him at his word.  To each his own, I guess.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: What Whatever wrote above; this is what I meant.

They want to mix guys up just to see how everyone plays with each other and all that jazz, hence why I think this isn't that big a deal :)

It's like the old song says, "A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." 

Seems to be a whole lotta disregarding going on round here.  

Why let the truth get in the way of a really good complaint, right?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 04:19 PM)McC Wrote: Turner did say Price was not being demoted.  So, either it's what he said or he's a big fat liar.  I've never met Jim Turner, so I don't know which it is and have to take him at his word.  To each his own, I guess.

He may have meant it's not a demotion because it's an open competition..?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 04:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He may have meant it's not a demotion because it's an open competition..?

Well, if he specifically says this is not a demotion, I guess I'm just not smart enough to look into his head and see that the very simple statement he made was not what he meant to say and determine what he actually was saying.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 04:35 PM)McC Wrote: Well, if he specifically says this is not a demotion, I guess I'm just not smart enough to look into his head and see that the very simple statement he made was not what he meant to say and determine what he actually was saying.

But I say the open competition thing because of the next paragraph in what Turner said...

Quote:There’s no incumbents here,” said Turner, who didn’t even wait for the inauguration. “You have to earn the job. We want to give (Hopkins) a shot because he’s earned that right. He played well in that first game. And Billy’s played well, too. It has nothing to do with anything that way. Everybody is in a battle right now and that’s the way it’s going to go until we play Seattle.

I interpret that as there's an open competition amongst the OL and the person who plays best wins the job. So I don't think I'm trying to read his mind, I'm just looking into more of what he said.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 04:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But I say the open competition thing because of the next paragraph in what Turner said...

I interpret that as there's an open competition amongst the OL and the person who plays best wins the job. So I don't think I'm trying to read his mind, I'm just looking into more of what he said.

Okay. 

Either way, it doesn't seem like a shot at Price.  And open competition is definitely the best way to go.  I will say, though, that the longer it drags on, the less time the line has to build chemistry, so I hope it gets decided soon.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 04:46 PM)McC Wrote: Okay. 

Either way, it doesn't seem like a shot at Price.  And open competition is definitely the best way to go.  I will say, though, that the longer it drags on, the less time the line has to build chemistry, so I hope it gets decided soon.

No, it doesn't seem a shot at Price. In fact, Turner even said Price was doing well too.
Personally, I like seeing these position competitions regardless of draft round or tenure.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote