Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates
(08-17-2019, 12:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes. Most considered him a good coach whose time was up. Marvin did what he could and turned us from the worst team in the 90s to a playoff team. He couldn't get us any higher, but he was a good coach. He wasn't perfect and he should have left/been fired sooner, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was a good coach.

As I already pointed out, the amount of insulting nicknames, memes, and silly avatars here suggests otherwise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 12:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As I already pointed out, the amount of insulting nicknames, memes, and silly avatars here suggests otherwise.

Because they were done with him. Prior to the 2015 playoff game, people were fine with Marv. It was after that game that people started to have enough. But, even people like me who wanted him gone prior to this past offseason, said he was a good coach but that the Bengals needed someone new.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 01:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Because they were done with him. Prior to the 2015 playoff game, people were fine with Marv. It was after that game that people started to have enough. But, even people like me who wanted him gone prior to this past offseason, said he was a good coach but that the Bengals needed someone new.

It far predates 2015.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 12:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Really? Cause I remember a lot of “Mediocre Merv” and blaming him for all our prime time and playoff woes.

So my point is Marvin got it every bit as bad as Dalton, if not worse. Despite a winning record.

There's a vocal group that thinks that way, sure. I'm just saying that I believe the majority of Bengals fans would tell you that yes, Marvin was a pretty good coach despite his shortcomings. That small vocal group is a lot more pronounced on a small messageboard like this one, especially since they tend to be the ones who'll bring him up the most.

I think Andy gets more slack then Marvin does, but that's mainly because Marvin built up quite a bit of equity by turning us around when he took over. He banked a lot of goodwill in those first 3 years. Marvin took over a dumpster fire, while Andy took over for a guy that many people still view as the golden child at QB based on 2 seasons that happened years before he even got here (and 2 seasons that happened well after he left). 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 12:44 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Aw, go easy on the guy, I think it's kind of cute how a guy who named himself after Peter Warrick (who was a mediocre NFL player AT BEST IF YOU'RE BEING REALLY REALLY KIND despite being picked 4th overall) can talk down to us about how mediocre Andy Dalton is (a former legit MVP candidate who has lead the Bengals to their most successful sustained stretch in team history as a 2nd round pick).

Clearly if this guy thinks Ryan Finley is the future, we should all bow before him. Dude's got an eye for talent.

Shocked Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 01:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It far predates 2015.

I think it started in 2010 when the Bengals went 4-12 after coming off a 10-6 season the year prior.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So do we have any actual camp updates?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 04:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it started in 2010 when the Bengals went 4-12 after coming off a 10-6 season the year prior.

Yeah, the Jets playoff loss in 09 was the start. And then the Chargers in 13 kind of put the nail in the coffin for a lot of fans. It was definitely pre-15 meltdown though.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 04:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, the Jets playoff loss in 09 was the start. And then the Chargers in 13 kind of put the nail in the coffin for a lot of fans. It was definitely pre-15 meltdown though.

As I have always said Marv was good at putting a talented team together but his coaching in game left a lot to be desired. Overall he was a good coach, I will admit that. His Halftime adjustments were just bad though, never seen a team time after time come out of the locker room after halftime and look so bad in the 3rd quarter.

Anyways, this is in the past. Time to evaluate Taylor who I think can be a good coach for us.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 04:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, the Jets playoff loss in 09 was the start. And then the Chargers in 13 kind of put the nail in the coffin for a lot of fans. It was definitely pre-15 meltdown though.

I think even really the 4-11-1 2008 season got the grumbling started. Then 2010 got it really cranked up !
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: According to FootballOutsiders Hopkins only played 31 more snaps than Price last year (589 to 558) but allowed twice as many sacks (3 to 1.5) and had more missed blocks (13 to 11).

Price was a rookie playing injured most of the season.  He has tons of room to grow.  At 27 Hopkins is not suddenly going to make a huge improvement.

I don't quite get why so many are focusing on Hopkins as a center when he can play most every position. He won't be all pro at all 5 spots, but he can fill in if anyone goes down which is why he's so valuable to the team. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 05:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think even really the 4-11-1 2008 season got the grumbling started. Then 2010 got it really cranked up !

2010 off-season pissed a lot of people off. The combination of rehiring Marvin and Carson Quiting ended people's fandom.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Forgot about the Jets playoff loss, but I actually more remember Week 17 against the Jets where the Bengals got walloped. At least in the playoff loss Cedric Benson made it fun.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 09:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Forgot about the Jets playoff loss, but I actually more remember Week 17 against the Jets where the Bengals got walloped. At least in the playoff loss Cedric Benson made it fun.

And Shane Graham made it very unfun.  And the QB sukked ass.  But Ced was a beast.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 09:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Forgot about the Jets playoff loss, but I actually more remember Week 17 against the Jets where the Bengals got walloped. At least in the playoff loss Cedric Benson made it fun.

We had no chance against the Jets that year. It was a miracle we even made the playoffs that year.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:10 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We had no chance against the Jets that year. It was a miracle we even made the playoffs that year.

No chance against the Mark Sanchez led Jets? Oof...

Yes, their defense was legit, but still.

Reply/Quote
I think it's time we all stopped living in the past. We have a completely new staff and new systems on both sides of the ball plus a new head coach means a new tone for the team. Let's see how ZT does this before passing any judgment - so far in the first two games he seems much better than what we have had in the recent past.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 01:30 AM)Joelist Wrote: I think it's time we all stopped living in the past. We have a completely new staff and new systems on both sides of the ball plus a new head coach means a new tone for the team. Let's see how ZT does this before passing any judgment - so far in the first two games he seems much better than what we have had in the recent past.

Except for all the penalties. That’s all too familiar.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 01:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Except for all the penalties. That’s all too familiar.

The penalties are worrisome yes. But the reaction to them has been utterly unlike what we used to see. Add in that we are actually seeing specific issues called out by ZT then seeing them acted on (like him calling out the defense for lack of aggressiveness and the next outing the defense was not tentative anymore).
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No chance against the Mark Sanchez led Jets? Oof...

Yes, their defense was legit, but still.

We had one legit WR in Chad Johnson and he was going up against Revis in the height of Revis Island.
Peko and Crocker were also coming off major injuries on defense and Maluaga was on IR in defense.
Our Defense was battered and Carson had literally no one to throw too. So yeah we had no chance.
J24

Reply/Quote