Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Training Camp
(06-24-2022, 02:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Volson has never in his life faced defenders as strong and fast as Carman did at Clemson on a regular basis.  And nothing even close to NFL talent

It is just impossible to make statements like this until we see Volson play against top competition.  Who is the best player he has ever attempted to block?

Same kinds of things could be said about Wilson from Wyoming.. Wyoming isn't exactly the SEC.. Cappa from Humboldt State..Hello?  Hilarious
I have nothing against Carmen or Volson, but going by these kinds of standards, who they faced in college is meaningless once they put on the pads in real games.  If memory serves Carmen spend a bit of time on the outside looking in last season so it wasn't exactly like he dominated the NFL.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 10:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: Same kinds of things could be said about Wilson from Wyoming.. Wyoming isn't exactly the SEC.. Cappa from Humboldt State..Hello?  Hilarious
I have nothing against Carmen or Volson, but going by these kinds of standards, who they faced in college is meaningless once they put on the pads in real games.  If memory serves Carmen spend a bit of time on the outside looking in last season so it wasn't exactly like he dominated the NFL.. 

Yes sir Gramps. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
So people are worried about Volson because of his lower level competition but people were/are super excited about D'Ante Smith who also played against nobody while he was on the field for East Carolina?

If the only guys that are going to succeed have to be battle tested, then the team needs to draft from only the power 5 conferences and even then some of those players are viewed as not having played against anybody around here.

As to Volson specifically, my guess is like most guys transitioning from college to the pros he will show growing pains, especially on the OL as few players make the jump smoothly. The raw tools and talent are there just a matter of how hard he will work to fine tune those skills and how well the coaches do in getting him to that point. I would be very surprised if he starts over a healthy Carman this year but that health is the real mystery.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 10:12 AM)grampahol Wrote:  Cappa from Humboldt State..Hello?  Hilarious

Did not play as a rookie.

This small school guys have a steep learning curve.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 03:23 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So people are worried about Volson because of his lower level competition but people were/are super excited about D'Ante Smith who also played against nobody while he was on the field for East Carolina?

Most people here did not even expect Smith to play as a rookie.  We all thought he would need a year just to get bigger and stronger.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most people here did not even expect Smith to play as a rookie.  We all thought he would need a year just to get bigger and stronger.

Most people here in threads after the draft were jumping for joy about the guy.

Talking about the Tackle of the future and how great of a pick it was and all that stuff....

Regardless of if you thought it was a redshirt year or a start last year move I still find it funny that you or anyone will be down on a player due to lower level competition while literally salivating over the prospect of a guy who was an oft injured tackle for a terrible team in a terrible conference.

Can't be excited for the future of Smith and then be upset with people excited about the future of Volson. Volson actually comes with less concerns about durability.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 02:36 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Most people here in threads after the draft were jumping for joy about the guy.

Talking about the Tackle of the future and how great of a pick it was and all that stuff....

Regardless of if you thought it was a redshirt year or a start last year move I still find it funny that you or anyone will be down on a player due to lower level competition while literally salivating over the prospect of a guy who was an oft injured tackle for a terrible team in a terrible conference.

Can't be excited for the future of Smith and then be upset with people excited about the future of Volson. Volson actually comes with less concerns about durability.

I am not "down" on Volson.  I just don't see him having an impact as a rookie.

Like someone else pointed out Alex Cappa played at tiny Humboldt State.  But as I pointed out he did not play as a rookie.

So all I am saying is at this point you can't say "Volson doesn't struggle with speed like Carman does" because we have never seen Volson attempt to block a player with elite speed like Carman has.
Reply/Quote
Quote:1 month from today, Saturday, July 23rd, rookies report.
That's because they need the extra day off to celebrate my birthday on the 22nd..or to celebrate the 53rd anniversary of the moon landing on the 20th..The extra few days for the hangovers.. 
You know..I'm still pissed at NASA for not waiting 2 days till my 10th birthday.. NOOO! JUST HAD TO LAND ON JULY 20, 1969 INSTEAD OF JULY 22.. bastrads! They did it on purpose just to break a little kid's heart. Cool
You all don't think I'm being just a tad petty about this do you? 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not "down" on Volson.  I just don't see him having an impact as a rookie.

Like someone else pointed out Alex Cappa played at tiny Humboldt State.  But as I pointed out he did not play as a rookie.

So all I am saying is at this point you can't say "Volson doesn't struggle with speed like Carman does" because we have never seen Volson attempt to block a player with elite speed like Carman has.

And it is a good point.

But if you watch both Carman and Volson, Volson is clearly more athletic with clearly quicker feet.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 01:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And it is a good point.

But if you watch both Carman and Volson, Volson is clearly more athletic with clearly quicker feet.

I agree with both of you. Like Fred says I doubt Volson just hits the ground running in the NFL. I'd like to see them work him in for a series here and there (blowout games and such) as they can. But I'd bet he's gonna need some seasoning. 

And it wouldn't shock me if Volson ends up being better than Carman, down the road.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 01:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree with both of you. Like Fred says I doubt Volson just hits the ground running in the NFL. I'd like to see them work him in for a series here and there (blowout games and such) as they can. But I'd bet he's gonna need some seasoning. 

And it wouldn't shock me if Volson ends up being better than Carman, down the road.

Wouldn't shock me either especially if Carman's back injury lingers. Carman can be a great run blocker though, he is a mauler
when healthy. Both players have their strengths, Carman's is power, he can pancake even the biggest NT's. Volson is much more
versatile though, he can play on either side of the Line unlike Carman who is uncomfortable on the right side.
Reply/Quote
I don't know..Volson comes from a smaller U where the skill positions aren't quite as good so the Oline has to play a bit better..Who knows?  I'll be rootin for the kid.. Then again I always root for them all to wildly exceed way more than expectations. That's always a good problem to have. 

Reply/Quote