Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Trans Day of Visibility
In the grand scheme of things does this really matter?

Celebrate your day. Let others celebrate theirs and move on. It’s a calendar quirk and nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:58 PM)pally Wrote: We're in the middle of Ramadan.  I don't see hysterical posts from offended Muslims

A rather different scenario, a thirty day long observance versus a single day.  Easter is probably the most important day of the year for Christians.  Also, you guys keep doing anything other than addressing my point.  Would it have been terribly inconvenient to observe the day on 03/30/24 or 04/01/24?  What harm would that have caused?  Also, it probably would have garnered a lot of positive press and good will to be considerate in that regard.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 01:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A rather different scenario, a thirty day long observance versus a single day.  Easter is probably the most important day of the year for Christians.  Also, you guys keep doing anything other than addressing my point.  Would it have been terribly inconvenient to observe the day on 03/30/24 or 04/01/24?  What harm would that have caused?  Also, it probably would have garnered a lot of positive press and good will to be considerate in that regard.

What actual, tangible, objective harm was caused by having them on the same day again?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 01:38 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: What actual, tangible, objective harm was caused by having them on the same day again?

None.  Can you point out where I claimed some harm was caused?

Reply/Quote
People and organizations have spent a lot of money, time, and effort making Mar 31 the Worldwide Day of Trans Visibility. They don't disappear on that day just because a group of people may be offended. Telling them to move their date is exactly the type of dismissal they are fighting against

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 01:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: None.  Can you point out where I claimed some harm was caused?

Just seems like a disproportionate amount of whinging from you about something being disrespectful when there is no harm caused. 
Reply/Quote
BZ has it right, just celebrate your day and move on.
No way to please everyone.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 01:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A rather different scenario, a thirty day long observance versus a single day.  Easter is probably the most important day of the year for Christians.  Also, you guys keep doing anything other than addressing my point.  Would it have been terribly inconvenient to observe the day on 03/30/24 or 04/01/24?  What harm would that have caused?  Also, it probably would have garnered a lot of positive press and good will to be considerate in that regard.

Your statement presupposes a frame that I don't agree with. 

No one is asking if National Farm Workers' Day should be moved. Nor is anyone asking for Cesar Chavez Day to be moved. National Bunsen Burner Day, National Prom Day, National Tater Day, Dance Marathon Day, National Crayon Day. All celebrations taking place on March 31st every year.

And yet not a single Christian is objecting to sharing their day with these holidays/celebrations.

But a day meant to celebrate Trans people internationally, strangely, is being called out by Right Wing Media as some offense to Christians.

The frame you're pre-supposing is that Christians and Trans people are ideologically opposed and must not co-exist on a given day.

I am a Christian and a Trans Ally. These two beliefs are not ideologically opposed. And it's only viewed that way because of the assault on Trans rights from right wing media and politicians who claim to represent all of Christianity.

And I find that offensive.

Much more offensive than a holiday that has occurred on the same day for 15 years occurring on that day for a 16th year.
Reply/Quote
The woman Jenner was offended by trans day and Easter day being the same day.

Mate, you're like ground zero for transgendrism and yet you still compain ?

If you want to be offended, you will be ...

It's just a state of mind.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 01:53 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Just seems like a disproportionate amount of whinging from you about something being disrespectful when there is no harm caused. 

Trying to find the whinging too, maybe it's in the same post I said it would do harm.

(04-01-2024, 01:59 PM)CJD Wrote: Your statement presupposes a frame that I don't agree with. 

No one is asking if National Farm Workers' Day should be moved. Nor is anyone asking for Cesar Chavez Day to be moved. National Bunsen Burner Day, National Prom Day, National Tater Day, Dance Marathon Day, National Crayon Day. All celebrations taking place on March 31st every year.

And yet not a single Christian is objecting to sharing their day with these holidays/celebrations.

But a day meant to celebrate Trans people internationally, strangely, is being called out by Right Wing Media as some offense to Christians.

The frame you're pre-supposing is that Christians and Trans people are ideologically opposed and must not co-exist on a given day.

I am a Christian and a Trans Ally. These two beliefs are not ideologically opposed. And it's only viewed that way because of the assault on Trans rights from right wing media and politicians who claim to represent all of Christianity.

And I find that offensive.

Much more offensive than a holiday that has occurred on the same day for 15 years occurring on that day for a 16th year.

I had a whole reply typed up and decided eff it.  I get your point, and I don't disagree.  It just seems like terrible damned timing, seeing as how the issue is so controversial.  But I suppose at the end of the day moving it would enable bigots.  Not that I think anyone who objects to anything within the transgender movement is a bigot, there are legitimate concerns with things such as puberty blockers for children.  But at the end of the day, it would probably cause more harm than good.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 02:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Trying to find the whinging too, maybe it's in the same post I said it would do harm.

I had a whole reply typed up and decided eff it.  I get your point, and I don't disagree.  It just seems like terrible damned timing, seeing as how the issue is so controversial.  But I suppose at the end of the day moving it would enable bigots.  Not that I think anyone who objects to anything within the transgender movement is a bigot, there are legitimate concerns with things such as puberty blockers for children.  But at the end of the day, it would probably cause more harm than good.

I appreciate the thoughtfulness and candor. I understand why you are saying what you are saying. When you see a group of people who find something offensive, the natural instinct is to try to do something to relieve their outrage, especially if the solution can be framed as "harmless" or "no work," like moving a holiday just this one time.

But I agree with your point about enabling people. If you move this holiday, then you've set an expectation that you'll do other "harmless" things to appease them and their outrage, even if it isn't legitimate or reasonable, just to be a "peacekeeper."

This may sound like a non-sequitur (and it may be to a degree), but I am an engineer for a living, and I was asked to give my input to a design issue on a project. It was not my project and I was not involved otherwise, but I thought, "Oh, it's just an hour of my time. That's no big deal. I can meet with them, give my expert opinion, and then they'll take it from there."

It's been 2 months now, and I've probably answered 50 emails about this single problem because it kept expanding, and the people who asked a "quick favor" from me have kept deferring to me at every turn, unwilling to do any work to resolve their problem.

If you give an inch, they'll take a mile.

But maybe I'm just frustrated about work :)
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 02:32 PM)CJD Wrote: I appreciate the thoughtfulness and candor. I understand why you are saying what you are saying. When you see a group of people who find something offensive, the natural instinct is to try to do something to relieve their outrage, especially if the solution can be framed as "harmless" or "no work," like moving a holiday just this one time.

But I agree with your point about enabling people. If you move this holiday, then you've set an expectation that you'll do other "harmless" things to appease them and their outrage, even if it isn't legitimate or reasonable, just to be a "peacekeeper."

This may sound like a non-sequitur (and it may be to a degree), but I am an engineer for a living, and I was asked to give my input to a design issue on a project. It was not my project and I was not involved otherwise, but I thought, "Oh, it's just an hour of my time. That's no big deal. I can meet with them, give my expert opinion, and then they'll take it from there."

It's been 2 months now, and I've probably answered 50 emails about this single problem because it kept expanding, and the people who asked a "quick favor" from me have kept deferring to me at every turn, unwilling to do any work to resolve their problem.

If you give an inch, they'll take a mile.

But maybe I'm just frustrated about work :)

I feel your pain.  Don't get me started on the number of people who've asked me to have "a quick talk" with their kid or their friend's kid.  One woman tried to turn me into a surrogate dad, friggen endless phone calls.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 02:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I feel your pain.  Don't get me started on the number of people who've asked me to have "a quick talk" with their kid or their friend's kid.  One woman tried to turn me into a surrogate dad, friggen endless phone calls.

Were you at least getting some of the benefits? Free meals etc Tongue
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 02:52 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Were you at least getting some of the benefits? Free meals etc Tongue

Helllllllllll no.  I eventually had to be a bit rude about it to get her to stop calling/texting me.  She was a friend's friend.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 01:38 PM)pally Wrote: The day of recognition is static... it's Mar 31 worldwide every single year.  Easter changes every year.  It has fallen on Mar 31st 3 times since 1700 including today and will not fall on this date again until 2086.

If it is the only day celebrated in the US and falls on March 31, I have no issue. If it is celebrated on other days, weeks or months, then it makes no sense.

We celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on one day. year, Easter Sunday. No group should be celebrated more than Jesus Crist's resurrection. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 03:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If it is the only day celebrated in the US and falls on March 31, I have no issue. If it is celebrated on other days, weeks or months, then it makes no sense.

We celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on one day. year, Easter Sunday. No group should be celebrated more than Jesus Crist's resurrection. 

Unless you're not a Christian.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 03:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: Unless you're not a Christian.

What's funny is that I never knew that "Trans Day of Visibility" was a thing, until you made a thread about it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 03:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's funny is that I never knew that "Trans Day of Visibility" was a thing, until you made a thread about it.

I didn't know it was Sunday until Crow posted a meme in that thread and I saw the awful replies on line.  Then I saw some friends posting about it on social media.

Thought it deserved its own thread to discuss.

I learned a lot about it.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
The woke left brainwashed me into having my penis removed, but on the third day it arose again.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 04:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The woke left brainwashed me into having my penis removed, but on the third day it arose again.

Thank God for stem cells right?
Reply/Quote