Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transabled .... Ofc there are
(06-06-2015, 10:45 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: That's an interesting question.  Many times with [for-profit] insurance, your own negligence or illegal acts are not eligible to receive benefits.  It's because of an incentive problem, which begs the question if social insurance programs should really be any different.

Is compassion without limits?  Should someone that made a poor choice drain benefits from a limited pool for people who had no choice?  SDI benefits?  I'd say no.  Handicapped parking?  Sure.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/report-social-security-overpaid-half-disability-31571903

SSA overpaid disability recipients by $17 billion over 10 years, with nearly half of those receiving benefits for disabilities getting overpaid. They managed to get $8b back, but still...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-07-2015, 10:24 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: SSA overpaid disability recipients by $17 billion over 10 years, with nearly half of those receiving benefits for disabilities getting overpaid. They managed to get $8b back, but still...

I'm not sure that's an argument against the point I was making.  More just an example of govt waste and inefficiency and not an argument that we have the money when the govt is running deficits in the hundreds of billions.
(06-07-2015, 07:52 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm not sure that's an argument against the point I was making.  More just an example of govt waste and inefficiency and not an argument that we have the money when the govt is running deficits in the hundreds of billions.

I was adding on to the point you were making. There's currently already waste associated with these benefits, imagine adding more numbers to it. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]