Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Transcription Of Lewis/Brown Contract Negotiations
Monday

Lewis: "Mike (Brown) and I and his family have had a lot of time to visit and so forth and just come to an alignment of everything, what my job is about. My job is to get this team to be world champions. The following is an official recording of what transpired to lead to my new contract."

Brown: So Marvin, we like what were doing, sure things can get better but were in a good place and would like to have you return for 2 seasons at a discounted percentage due to you not getting any playoff wins thus far.

Lewis: We had a disappointing season this year, and we have to try harder as a team And organization.

Brown: What are your recommendations?

Lewis: Well for starters, at the beginning of the season I told you we needed to re-sign Whit and Z. The offensive line was centered around the two of them. I also told you that the Ross signing was not what this team needed and he was unproven.

Brown: Re-signing both those men involved a large amount of money. That was something nobody in this family was willing to part with.                        Brown smiling as he brings up the balance of his bank account.

Lewis: And the Ross pick?

Brown: That young man is fast we could put him somewhere, if not WR we could put him at CB or even worse case punt/kick returner. Possibly a backup kicker since his legs are so strong?

Brown: While were at it with questioning decision making how bout that Steeler meltdown in the playoffs? What didn't you do to get the team focused and back on task coach?

Lewis: Its not my job to to inspire, discipline, teach these men. They are supposed to be professionals.

Brown stares at Lewis unflinching

Lewis stares back

Brown stares at Lewis like receiving his first Benjamin 

Lewis stares but finally looks away then speaks

Lewis: Well The practice dome we...

Brown leans over and puts his finger over Marvins lips

Brown: Shhhhhh dont even say it. Don't even think it!

The two men sit in silence for an uncomfortable amount of time, Brown never taking his eyes off Marvin as Lewis looks at the corner desk purposely avoiding eye contact.

Brown: So do we have a 2 year deal? Minimum salary. Are you satisfied with your concerns and demands?

Lewis looking defeated he musters up a  Yessss we have a deal.

Brown: Good! Im glad your on course for another wonderful 2 years..now lets have lunch. What do you want your favorite?

Lewis seeming more upbeat at the thought looks up at Mike and smiles and replies, "Yes Mike please"

Brown: Great!!!

Mike picks up the phone and talks to his secretary "Sally, do you want to order Marvin lunch. Yes, get him the usual...one tuna on rye"

The following day on Tuesday the announcement was made by Lewis....

"My job is to win a world championship," Lewis said Tuesday. "We have a talented roster full of veteran leaders and emerging young stars and I am committed to making the necessary improvements to put this team in the best position to win."
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 10:00 PM)GodFather Wrote: Monday

Lewis: "Mike (Brown) and I and his family have had a lot of time to visit and so forth and just come to an alignment of everything, what my job is about. My job is to get this team to be world champions. The following is an official recording of what transpired to lead to my new contract."

Brown: So Marvin, we like what were doing, sure things can get better but were in a good place and would like to have you return for 2 seasons at a discounted percentage due to you not getting any playoff wins thus far.

Lewis: We had a disappointing season this year, and we have to try harder as a team And organization.

Brown: What are your recommendations?

Lewis: Well for starters, at the beginning of the season I told you we needed to re-sign Whit and Z. The offensive line was centered around the two of them. I also told you that the Ross signing was not what this team needed and he was unproven.

Brown: Re-signing both those men involved a large amount of money. That was something nobody in this family was willing to part with.                        Brown smiling as he brings up the balance of his bank account.

Lewis: And the Ross pick?

Brown: That young man is fast we could put him somewhere, if not WR we could put him at CB or even worse case punt/kick returner. Possibly a backup kicker since his legs are so strong?

Brown: While were at it with questioning decision making how bout that Steeler meltdown in the playoffs? What didn't you do to get the team focused and back on task coach?

Lewis: Its not my job to to inspire, discipline, teach these men. They are supposed to be professionals.

Brown stares at Lewis unflinching

Lewis stares back

Brown stares at Lewis like receiving his first Benjamin 

Lewis stares but finally looks away then speaks

Lewis: Well The practice dome we...

Brown leans over and puts his finger over Marvins lips

Brown: Shhhhhh dont even say it. Don't even think it!

The two men sit in silence for an uncomfortable amount of time, Brown never taking his eyes off Marvin as Lewis looks at the corner desk purposely avoiding eye contact.

Brown: So do we have a 2 year deal? Minimum salary. Are you satisfied with your concerns and demands?

Lewis looking defeated he musters up a  Yessss we have a deal.

Brown: Good! Im glad your on course for another wonderful 2 years..now lets have lunch. What do you want your favorite?

Lewis seeming more upbeat at the thought looks up at Mike and smiles and replies, "Yes Mike please"

Brown: Great!!!

Mike picks up the phone and talks to his secretary "Sally, do you want to order Marvin lunch. Yes, get him the usual...one tuna on rye"

The following day on Tuesday the announcement was made by Lewis....

"My job is to win a world championship," Lewis said Tuesday. "We have a talented roster full of veteran leaders and emerging young stars and I am committed to making the necessary improvements to put this team in the best position to win."

Looks legit.  ThumbsUp

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We're talking tuna salad on rye...right?

If so, I can see why Marv keeps coming back.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
You should probably keep your day job, assuming you are employed in the daytime and give up your dreams of becoming a famous screen writer specializing in Bengals football fiction. 
I just don't see this as being the next big blockbuster on the silver screen anytime soon. On the other hand it might, but I think one involving the Raiders and Gruden might..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I do not believe for a second, that greed plays a role in how the family manages that team. No doubt they do what they think are financially responsible for the team, and will turn them a profit, but it's not blind greed. They have a lot more pride and love for that franchise, then I think you're giving them credit for.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 07:11 AM)Utts Wrote: I do not believe for a second, that greed plays a role in how the family manages that team. No doubt they do what they think are financially responsible for the team, and will turn them a profit, but it's not blind greed. They have a lot more pride and love for that franchise, then I think you're giving them credit for.

If greed is off your plate then there’s only one other explanation. Ignorance!

Reply/Quote
can m. brown have an open session with fans asking questions, i would like every owner to have to field these questions per year as a Requirement.
similarly i would like to force all head coaches who did not make the playoffs be forced to announce games in the playoffs, similar to how Gruden was on.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 09:30 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: can m. brown have an open session with fans asking questions, i would like every owner to have to field these questions per year as a Requirement.

That would be chaotic. Specially with the Bengals fans. 

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 09:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If greed is off your plate then there’s only one other explanation. Ignorance!

I don't if it is about greed and ignorance as much as fear.  Fear of change, fear of the unknown, fear of failing worse than before.  Could be that when 82 year old Mr. Brown sleeps on the idea of moving past Marvin, he is tormented in his dreams with visions from the years in the wake of running off Sam Wyche, much like Ebenezer Scrooge by the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
if Samuel Jackson is making commercials for a credit card company and Cindy Lauper for big pharma, I can see how Marvin will sign a 2 yr. deal for millions. Job security is everything.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 10:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't if it is about greed and ignorance as much as fear.  Fear of change, fear of the unknown, fear of failing worse than before.  Could be that when 82 year old Mr. Brown sleeps on the idea of moving past Marvin, he is tormented in his dreams with visions from the years in the wake of running off Sam Wyche, much like Ebenezer Scrooge by the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Well, it WAS Christmas Eve when he fired Sam, so.....

I feel it is fear as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Eh 1 Star at best

you could do better
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 04:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Eh   1 Star at best

you could do better

I purposely put as much effort into the post as Mike Brown does hiring head coaches...
Reply/Quote
IMHO Sam Wyche was given a raw deal in Cincinnati.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 06:22 PM)GodFather Wrote: I purposely put as much effort into the post as Mike Brown does hiring head coaches...

There are plenty of shitty post around here without needing to add more to the pile
Reply/Quote