Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Transgender Boys Playing Boys Sports?
I've heard about transgender girls playing against other biological girls in high school sports, but I haven't heard of any transgender boys playing against biological boys. Does anyone have any examples? Why are we only hearing about transgender females in sports?

For a transgender boy, it would be a cool thought playing sports against a bunch of girls, but, as a competitor, it wouldn't feel right and wouldn't be as fun.

Do the transgender boys change in the boys' locker rooms? Shouldn't they be banned from the girls' room if they are, indeed, boys?
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 11:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've heard about transgender girls playing against other biological girls in high school sports, but I haven't heard of any transgender boys playing against biological boys.  Does anyone have any examples?  Why are we only hearing about transgender females in sports?

For a transgender boy, it would be a cool thought playing sports against a bunch of girls, but, as a competitor, it wouldn't feel right and wouldn't be as fun.  

Do the transgender boys change in the boys' locker rooms?  Shouldn't they be banned from the girls' room if they are, indeed, boys?

to be clear... If your born a boy you are a boy... No matter what you do to your body and visa versa so yes they should have to use the correct locker room and should be on the correct team.

The world doesnt care what you identify as just what you are....
Reply/Quote
At the risk of this landing in p&r, Biden cares how you identify, and will allow you to compete accordingly.
Personally I think the whole transgender movement is ridiculous. But many many many people subscribe....
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A thread dealing with this type of subject matter most definitely should be discussed in P&R. I have trouble seeing how many would be able to comment or respond without expressing some sort of political or religious point of view affecting or influencing their response.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
https://www.insidehook.com/article/sports/trans-athletes-win-boys-sports
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 12:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A thread dealing with this type of subject matter most definitely should be discussed in P&R.  I have trouble seeing how many would be able to comment or respond without expressing some sort of political or religious point of view affecting or influencing their response.

What forum did this start in?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The bottom line is part of our society has lost its mind.
Science say that humans have two genders biologically, male and female (XY/XX, chromosomes)
There is nothing to dispute is there?
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 12:48 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: The bottom line is part of our society has lost its mind.
Science say that humans have two genders biologically, male and female (XY/XX, chromosomes)

Well, that's actually not what science says. Science says that both sex, which is biological or genetic, and gender, the social aspect, are on spectrums. Neither is binary and they are two separate things which don't always match. That is what science says.

Edit: just in case anyone is interested, here is a paper from last summer talking about this and, since it is an actual scientific paper, it has sources looking back to the research done to back up the idea that biological sex is also a spectrum. It may be behind a paywall for you, but here is the citation if you can find it somewhere else:
Štrkalj, G. and Pather, N. (2021), Beyond the Sex Binary: Toward the Inclusive Anatomical Sciences Education. Anat Sci Educ. https://doi.org/10.1002/ase.2002
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
As someone who played on co-ed soccer and tennis teams in high school in the 90s I find people going to completely ape over this stuff to be pretty amusing.
Reply/Quote
Why do you have that kind of thoughts ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Trans men in sports is a much less reported topic, but there are examples. Chris Mosier made news recently when they qualified for the Olympic trials in men's track and field.

However, the topic on the whole is less controversial than trans women in women's sports.

On the one hand, there is an expectation that AMAB (Assigned male at birth) people are, genetically, stronger than AFAB (assigned female at birth) people. That is to say, a trans woman is expected to have genetic advantages over cis women when it comes to the ability to build muscle and have a larger or bulkier frame. These things often help in sports, so there's a controversy about whether that is fair to the cis athletes participating in women's sports.

That controversy doesn't really exist in men's sports. Since AFAB people are considered "weaker," they don't meaningful disrupt men's sports if they participate in them. At least that is the perception.

Now, we could spend some time dispelling these beliefs, since being on estrogen and testosterone blockers will often remove a lot of the muscle building advantages that AMAB people have, but the extent to which it makes up for this and the time you spend as a man vs the time you spend on these drugs can differ from person to person so it's more of a case by case basis.

The point is, there is not the same fear of "women taking over men's sports" for that physical strength reason.

On the other hand, AFAB men are often on testosterone boosting drugs to assist in their transition and these drugs are almost uniformly banned from competitive sports. So, if an AFAB man wants to compete in men's sports, he must either get a waiver for using these drugs or stop taking the drugs, which would impact his transition or otherwise negatively impact his life.

Just like I can't necessarily quantify how much estrogen and testosterone blockers may bridge the gap between AFAB and AMAB physical strength disparity, I also can't quantify the reverse with testosterone for AFAB men. But there just isn't that fear of AFAB men taking over men's sports.

You could be cynical and say that the reason for this is not because people actually think trans men or women would dominate the sport to which they are transitioning by nature, but more so because our society views women as "lesser" to men, so a woman transitioning to a man isn't a big deal but a man transitioning to a woman is (or you could be EVEN MORE cynical and say that the reason trans women are more controversial is because our society values beauty, youth and baby making capabilities in women over anything else and trans women are not those traditional things, so they are shunned more than trans men [not to mention the ever present fear of being attracted to a trans woman and thereby being "gay" and killing said trans woman, which is an actual thing people argue in court called "trans panic" if they kill a trans woman they were romantically involved with]).

I think trans people are rare enough that each case deserves to be examined as it exists, rather than through any blanket proclamations about trans men or trans women. There is wiggle room in both regards. This isn't a case of "the world gone mad" or of people "pushing an insidious agenda" of any kind. We just need to be compassionate and considerate, as a society, when discussing these things.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 12:48 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: The bottom line is part of our society has lost its mind.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/stop-using-phony-science-to-justify-transphobia/
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 12:48 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: The bottom line is part of our society has lost its mind.

Science also says that humans should never eat Big Macs or ice cream, but ehh...free country and all!
Reply/Quote
Transgenderism is something that I will never wholly understand (I'm no biologist or psychologist), but I believe everybody is entitled to live the life they want to live - provided that it doesn't harm others in a tangible way.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/stop-using-phony-science-to-justify-transphobia/

Well after reading that I guess I'm stuck in my basic middle school biology education. 

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 02:00 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Transgenderism is something that I will never wholly understand (I'm no biologist or psychologist), but I believe everybody is entitled to live the life they want to live - provided that it doesn't harm others in a tangible way.

Rep
Reply/Quote
Have to remember it's not just about the Transgender child but everyone else in the locker room. How comfortable is the rest of the team dressing in front of a person that says they are a difference gender but isnt.

I don't know how I would react to my daughters having to change in front of a boy just because he says he identifies as a girl.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 02:00 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Transgenderism is something that I will never wholly understand (I'm no biologist or psychologist), but I believe everybody is entitled to live the life they want to live - provided that it doesn't harm others in a tangible way.

That's pretty much how I feel about Aerosmith.  
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 02:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's pretty much how I feel about Aerosmith.  

Hey now... I can put up with your Hall & Oates comments but don't be disparaging the boys from Boston.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 02:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Have to remember it's not just about the Transgender child but everyone else in the locker room. How comfortable is the rest of the team dressing in front of a person that says they are a difference gender but isnt.

I don't know how I would react to my daughters having to change in front of a boy just because he says he identifies as a girl.

Gender refers to what society has created to be the social characteristics of women and men. Sex is the biological classification. 

Trans folk do not claim to be a different sex. They identify with a gender that society does not associate with their biological sex. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote