Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Transitioned athletes and hormone levels
So, a friend sent me this story. (Yes, you know him)

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11821399

With a transitioning athlete, do you all think that 12 months of a certain hormone level is enough for a for a fair competition ?
Personally, I do not (at least man to woman)
I think the muscle mass gained as a man can be maintained easily, for a year.

However, do you think they allow this, as women may be taking testosterone and then stop a year before an event ?
I'm not a scientist, or a doctor.

I think the rules will have a sliding scale all the time due to new discoveries and different points of view.

All I really know is that transitioning isn't the same as being in the Special Olympics.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
If studies support longer use of hormones before competition is fair, I'd fully support that.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I don't care who can lift what regardless of their parts or how confused they are shopping at target. Seems pretty trivial to me.

Ask your friend how his nightly neighborhood watch stroll is going and if that big pistol he keeps holstered by his tiny pecker has an affect on his widely diagnosed low-T. More worried about some racist wacko walking around with a deadly weapon and a chip on his thin skinned shoulders than what some grown ass adult lifts above their head.
(03-21-2017, 12:28 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I don't care who can lift what regardless of their parts or how confused they are shopping at target.  Seems pretty trivial to me.  

Ask your friend how his nightly neighborhood watch stroll is going and if that big pistol he keeps holstered by his tiny pecker has an affect on his widely diagnosed low-T.   More worried about some racist wacko walking around with a deadly weapon and a chip on his thin skinned shoulders than what some grown ass adult lifts above their head.

This thread is more for people who can be concerned about gun toting rednecks AND people having possible unfair advantages.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-21-2017, 12:28 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I don't care who can lift what regardless of their parts or how confused they are shopping at target.  Seems pretty trivial to me.  

You might think differently if you had a female loved one who had trained her whole life to excel at a discipline only to be bested by someone of a different gender that still had the genetic (is that the proper word) advantage that gender provides.

Of course thinking that this is anything more that trivial might paint you as a bigot. So probably best just to consider it trivial.    
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-21-2017, 12:28 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I don't care who can lift what regardless of their parts or how confused they are shopping at target. Seems pretty trivial to me.

Ask your friend how his nightly neighborhood watch stroll is going and if that big pistol he keeps holstered by his tiny pecker has an affect on his widely diagnosed low-T. More worried about some racist wacko walking around with a deadly weapon and a chip on his thin skinned shoulders than what some grown ass adult lifts above their head.
Oh my....

I'd wager he misses you, as well.
(03-21-2017, 01:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You might think differently if you had a female loved one who had trained her whole life to excel at a discipline only to be bested by someone of a different gender that still had the genetic (is that the proper word) advantage that gender provides.

Of course thinking that this is anything more that trivial might paint you as a bigot. So probably best just to consider it trivial.    

Thanks for the sound advice.  Let me reciprocate...  Saying OP's friend in question is at a physical disadvantage and needs, nye DESERVES, testosterone replacement therapy might turn this whole thing on its head.  Best not touch that one.  
(03-21-2017, 02:00 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh my....

I'd wager he misses you, as well.

i'd wager he's here.  hopefully his boy guilliani doesn't **** up his VPN access.
I feel like LeBron James or Mike Trout on 12 months of hormone treatments would still just absolutely destroy any possible sense of balanced competition.

So it is pretty hard. You have 1 person's choice to want to compete balanced against a much larger number of people who want a fair competition.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(03-21-2017, 11:21 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: So, a friend sent me this story. (Yes, you know him)

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11821399

With a transitioning athlete, do you all think that 12 months of a certain hormone level is enough for a for a fair competition ?
Personally, I do not (at least man to woman)
I think the muscle mass gained as a man can be maintained easily, for a year.

However, do you think they allow this, as women may be taking testosterone and then stop a year before an event ?

The lower limit of normal for serum total testosterone for an adult male is > 200 for comparison.

How quickly a male transitioning to female loses muscle mass while undergoing reassignment surgery and estrogen supplementation is up for debate. I would wager the number of doctors who specialize in this sort of treatment could only speculate at best.

Meanwhile, how much do you want to bet Lucie's chances of getting struck by lightening are greater than him being beaten out for the gold in a female powerlifting competition by a transgender athlete?
Also, you can tell your friend girls don't lift weights. So it's all good. Skins vs. skins. Not shirts vs. skins. So to speak.
(03-21-2017, 08:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Meanwhile, how much do you want to bet Lucie's chances of getting struck by lightening are greater than him being beaten out for the gold in a female powerlifting competition by a transgender athlete?

Are you suggesting he'd chop the hog ?
Ninja
(03-21-2017, 10:54 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Are you suggesting he'd chop the hog ?
Ninja

He sure does think a lot about transmissions. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-21-2017, 10:54 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Are you suggesting he'd chop the hog ?
Ninja

I'm suggesting it is much ado about nothing.
(03-21-2017, 11:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He sure does think a lot about transmissions. 
This is a true statement.

(03-21-2017, 11:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm suggesting it is much ado about nothing.

I know.
But since we were waxing nostalgic, I wanted to work it in.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(03-21-2017, 11:59 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: This is a true statement.

I know.
But since we were waxing nostalgic, I wanted to work it in.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Work it in.

LOL
Only fair solution, IMO, is to make all sports genderless. Then we won't have this issue. Of course, probably means that women (natural or trans) will never win, but hey, them's the breaks for true equality. 'Cause now ALL genders have a chance, not just the 2 most common ones.

I personally can't wait until an attack helicopter makes an NFL team. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
(03-22-2017, 12:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Only fair solution, IMO, is to make all sports genderless. Then we won't have this issue. Of course, probably means that women (natural or trans) will never win, but hey, them's the breaks for true equality. 'Cause now ALL genders have a chance, not just the 2 most common ones.

I personally can't wait until an attack helicopter makes an NFL team. ThumbsUp

[Image: hairstyles.jpg]