Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trapasso (CBS) mock draft gave me a sinking feeling
I find this mock interesting: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-seahawks-go-offensive-line-after-russell-wilson-trade-packers-pass-on-receiver-again/.

He has the Steelers taking Desmond Ridder.

I'm a Miami alum and when Big Ben was in the NFL draft, I was absolutely intrigued to see where he was picked since I went to Miami. Miami football players typically don't get drafted and aren't first round picks (mind you, my interest did not yet have the hindsight of knowing the not so good things he did in his personal life). Anyhow, I remember being annoyed he went to the Steelers because it meant Big Ben was now the enemy because of my Bengals fandom.

I have no connection to UC other than I grew up in the Cincinnati region; however, when I viewed this mock I had an irrational flash forward of Ridder leading the Steelers to Super Bowl victories. Big Ben Part II: a Cincinnati-area college QB prospect goes to the Bengals divisional rival and wins the Super Bowl was my gut sinking fear.

This mock has the Bengals going with the big boy: All of 6'9", 380 lbs Faalele.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What does it mean by "Faalele might not be a stud in his first month at tackle in the NFL"? That he'll have trouble transitioning?

I don't know if I like that, but I do like the thoughts of a big guy that can move blocking for Burrow and plowing the way for Mixon.

It says he's right tackle but I don't know why we wouldn't have him protecting Burrow's blindside if he's that big and can move well.

Give him to Pollack and let Pollack turn him into a star!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What does it mean by "Faalele might not be a stud in his first month at tackle in the NFL"? That he'll have trouble transitioning?

I don't know if I like that, but I do like the thoughts of a big guy that can move blocking for Burrow and plowing the way for Mixon.

It says he's right tackle but I don't know why we wouldn't have him protecting Burrow's blindside if he's that big and can move well.

I've read on other sites he lacks OL fundamentals such as positioning of the hands and that is what might make the transition challenging.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:58 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I've read on other sites he lacks OL fundamentals such as positioning of the hands and that is what might make the transition challenging.

Makes sense.

I'm sure that he, his trainer, and his agent have also read all of that and are working on it but I realize that "working on it," isn't the same as going against NFL talent and improving that way.

If we do draft him, let's hope that Pollack puts him against our defenders a lot and works on improving it, leaving no questions.
Reply/Quote
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think Ridder will go in the first but I also think he will be a bust. Felt like he held UC back this season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
He's really got 9 OL going in the first round?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What does it mean by "Faalele might not be a stud in his first month at tackle in the NFL"? That he'll have trouble transitioning?

Pollack hasn't turned any Bengals OL into a star so far.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 09:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Pollack hasn't turned any Bengals OL into a star so far.

Who has he had that much raw talent and physical stature to mold into a star?
Reply/Quote
I'm torn. I don't think Ridder is going to be a quality starting NFL QB. I would love for a division rival to blow a first rounder on a QB bust. And I'm hoping cleveland moves on from Baker soon so they get back on the QB carousel. But boy would I hate it if Ridder turned out to be a solid QB for the steelers.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 09:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Who has he had that much raw talent and physical stature to mold into a star?

Well he was the OL Coach when all of the following were drafted:
Billy Price
Jackson Carman
D’Ante Smith
Trey Hill

He has 11th overall pick Jonah Williams, who was considered one of, if not the best OL in the 2019 draft class.
He had 2015 1st and 2nd round OTs Ogbuehi and Fisher in their 4th year.

He wasn’t working with all late rd draft picks or UDFAs. He’s had two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders to try to get into stars.
Jonah Williams is solid, but he was also solid in 2020.

You have to assume that the OL Coach had input into which OL get drafted the years he’s been here.

Look, I’m not trying to be a hater. Im just pointing out he’s never turned a young OL into a star. If that’s because he’s not been given the right talent, he needs to speak up and better influence to get players he likes/needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 11:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well he was the OL Coach when all of the following were drafted:
Billy Price
Jackson Carman
D’Ante Smith
Trey Hill

He has 11th overall pick Jonah Williams, who was considered one of, if not the best OL in the 2019 draft class.
He had 2015 1st and 2nd round OTs Ogbuehi and Fisher in their 4th year.

He wasn’t working with all late rd draft picks or UDFAs. He’s had two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders to try to get into stars.
Jonah Williams is solid, but he was also solid in 2020.

You have to assume that the OL Coach had input into which OL get drafted the years he’s been here.

Look, I’m not trying to be a hater. Im just pointing out he’s never turned a young OL into a star. If that’s because he’s not been given the right talent, he needs to speak up and better influence to get players he likes/needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL Carman and Smith and Hill were rookies last year. they aren't gonna be stars their rookie seasons five me a break Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 06:54 AM)pulses Wrote: LOL Carman and Smith and Hill were rookies last year. they aren't gonna be stars their rookie seasons five me a break Hilarious

I didn't say they have to be stars as rookies. I simply stated a fact that Pollack has not, thus far, turned any Bengals OL into a star.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 10:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't say they have to be stars as rookies. I simply stated a fact that Pollack has not, thus far, turned any Bengals OL into a star.

To be fair he's never had a second year to develop anyone in Cincinnati.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 11:32 AM)Synric Wrote: To be fair he's never had a second year to develop anyone in Cincinnati.

That is true, but the statement still stands.
There hasn't been any evidence of him doing it yet, so it seems odd to assume it's going to happen.

He's done well improving the run game though, which he was able to accomplish immediately both in 2018 and 2021.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 11:38 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That is true, but the statement still stands.
There hasn't been any evidence of him doing it yet, so it seems odd to assume it's going to happen.

He's done well improving the run game though, which he was able to accomplish immediately both in 2018 and 2021.

Just not the short yardage in critical situations run game.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope they pass on Faalele. Like it’s been said before he gets too high and gives up leverage too often. Seeing him get toasted in the senior bowl practices still sticks with me. Imagine what a Von Miller would do to him…
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:14 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I find this mock interesting: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-seahawks-go-offensive-line-after-russell-wilson-trade-packers-pass-on-receiver-again/.

He has the Steelers taking Desmond Ridder.

I'm a Miami alum and when Big Ben was in the NFL draft, I was absolutely intrigued to see where he was picked since I went to Miami. Miami football players typically don't get drafted and aren't first round picks (mind you, my interest did not yet have the hindsight of knowing the not so good things he did in his personal life). Anyhow, I remember being annoyed he went to the Steelers because it meant Big Ben was now the enemy because of my Bengals fandom.

I have no connection to UC other than I grew up in the Cincinnati region; however, when I viewed this mock I had an irrational flash forward of Ridder leading the Steelers to Super Bowl victories. Big Ben Part II: a Cincinnati-area college QB prospect goes to the Bengals divisional rival and wins the Super Bowl was my gut sinking fear.

This mock has the Bengals going with the big boy: All of 6'9", 380 lbs Faalele.

Has us taking Faalele in the first round. That is all you need to know about this Mock. Plays WAY too high and is WAY too 
raw for a 1st round pick. I might look at him in the 2nd if we get a RT in Free Agency but even then it is a gamble if he 
cannot stay low and play with better technique.

I do hope Ridder goes somewhere else also so I can root for the guy. That would suck.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 10:08 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I'm torn. I don't think Ridder is going to be a quality starting NFL QB. I would love for a division rival to blow a first rounder on a QB bust. And I'm hoping cleveland moves on from Baker soon so they get back on the QB carousel. But boy would I hate it if Ridder turned out to be a solid QB for the steelers.

When it comes to the steelers next qb, I imagine Burrow paying witch doctors and psychics etc. to try and use whatever voodoo is necessary for Haskins to revive his career as the steelers starter so he can have the opportunity to beat Dwaynes ass twice a year.

Burrow hated haskins guts....and now he's his biggest fan ? 
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Has us taking Faalele in the first round. That is all you need to know about this Mock. Plays WAY too high and is WAY too 
raw for a 1st round pick. I might look at him in the 2nd if we get a RT in Free Agency but even then it is a gamble if he 
cannot stay low and play with better technique.

I do hope Ridder goes somewhere else also so I can root for the guy. That would suck.

Faalele's size is his blessing and his curse.
He's not going to get pushed back like Adeniji does because he's just so big.
His size and wingspan makes it more difficult for defenders to try to go around him.
But he's so tall that he's always going to have some disadvantage with playing too high compared to most shorter, smaller OTs.
And even though I do think he's athletic for his size, he's simply too heavy to move like a 300 lb guy.
So I think in some aspects, Faalele would be great, but in others, he'd be frustrating.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote