Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Travel question: need some help
Would you layover in Istanbul Turkey?  

We have a potential 20 hour layover there heading to Minsk.   The other option is a layover In Moscow.  

The deal is insane to go through turkey but I also wonder if it's safe for us to be there.   We know Russia is safe.  But then we also thought it would be cool to mess around in Istanbul, take a tour.  

Please tell me if we are crazy for even thinking of going there ....

Also would going through there put us on a TSA list? i imagine getting a visa there might raise some flags.
Reply/Quote
What are scared of?
Reply/Quote
Flag #1. Talking about international travel raising flags under the same racist, far-right, extremist online character.

You are being watched. Tread softly my dear.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 03:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Would you layover in Istanbul Turkey?  

We have a potential 20 hour layover there heading to Minsk.   The other option is a layover In Moscow.  

The deal is insane to go through turkey but I also wonder if it's safe for us to be there.   We know Russia is safe.  But then we also thought it would be cool to mess around in Istanbul, take a tour.  

Please tell me if we are crazy for even thinking of going there ....

Also would going through there put us on a TSA list?  i imagine getting a visa there might raise some flags.

If you are gonna go to a Muslim country, then Turkey is probably the one to go to. You could go check out the Hagia Sofia.

It will not put you on a TSA list.

I'll say this, though: I would not want my flight to go over the Middle East (not including Turkey) or over Ukraine. That would suck getting shot down!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Whats dangerous about Turkey around thanksgiving??
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 01:22 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: If you are gonna go to a Muslim country, then Turkey is probably the one to go to. You could go check out the Hagia Sofia.

It will not put you on a TSA list.

I'll say this, though: I would not want my flight to go over the Middle East (not including Turkey) or over Ukraine. That would suck getting shot down!

Thanks for the info.

It's a 20 hour layover and it would be an interesting City to explore. But European Travel is dicey ATM ... Let alone to a Muslim country. Maybe Moscow is best considering all factors
Reply/Quote
Istanbul is perfectly safe for tourists and a wonderful town to go to.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 05:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: Istanbul is perfectly safe for tourists and a wonderful town to go to.

Cool . Nice to hear.
Reply/Quote
Well Turkey just shot down a Russian Jet.... Soo...... travel to russia from turkey might not be the best thing anymore.
Reply/Quote
Connect through Mogadishu.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 11:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well Turkey just shot down a Russian Jet.... Soo......  travel to russia from turkey might not be the best thing anymore.

Yes we were going to do the turkey layover. But now we will change to connecting in Moscow.

Of course the worldwide travel warning is out as well.
Reply/Quote
Going through Turkey should be fine. Istanbul is a nice city. I have stopped over in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and Ethiopia (right next to Somalia) ad had no issues.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Connect through Mogadishu.

Yes. This.

And bring lots of toilet paper. You never know how the local cuisine will affect you.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I'd go to Istanbul. It is about as far from the action in Syria as you can get. A lot of tourism there and the Turks don't want that to dry up. (Very aggressive vendors there BTW)
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the info .
Reply/Quote
Uhhhh.....maybe not a good idea:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/04/tracy-brown-missed-her-plane-in-istanbul-then-airport-cops-killed-her.html
Reply/Quote
Yikes !! Glad we choose the way we did then

We already bought the tickets and choose the layover in Moscow for the safer route.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 10:49 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Uhhhh.....maybe not a good idea:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/04/tracy-brown-missed-her-plane-in-istanbul-then-airport-cops-killed-her.html

Thank god things like that never happen in western countries... let alone in the US.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Connect through Mogadishu.

Lol. 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote