Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traveling abroad tips?
So in a couple months I'll be traveling to Spain with my daughter. It'll be the first time for either of us out of the country (well, off a cruise ship any way).

Any tips?

Anyone been to Spain who can recommend places to hit? My daughter will be in soccer training 24/7 so outside of attending a few of her games, I'll have plenty of time to explore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have been to Zargoza (Air Force Base) years ago and saw The Basilica, but that's all I got. Seems you're getting there about the same time as the start of La Liga so a soccer game is a no-brainer of course it depends on where in the country you are.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 11:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have been to Zargoza (Air Force Base) years ago and saw The Basilica, but that's all I got.  Seems you're getting there about the same time as the start of La Liga so a soccer game is a no-brainer of course it depends on where in the country you are.

I think the plans are for two games. My daughter will be training with fc Barcelona so that's a big part of it. 
Reply/Quote
Wall outlet adapters and figure out if your devices can handle the 220V/240V. If they dont you'll need to have a transformer to convert it to 110V.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 10:08 AM)Synric Wrote: Wall outlet adapters and figure out if your devices can handle the 220V/240V. If they dont you'll need to have a transformer to convert it to 110V.

Hmm, thanks. I thought you just got the adapters, didn't realize you needed a converter.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 02:23 PM)Benton Wrote: Hmm, thanks. I thought you just got the adapters, didn't realize you needed a converter.

Alot of stuff doesnt need it because they are dual voltage. You can check by looking on the battery/power supply for "INPUT 110 - 240V" which means its dual. Appliances such as hairdryers aren't and they will burn you at 240V.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 02:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Alot of stuff doesnt need it because they are dual voltage. You can check by looking on the battery/power supply for "INPUT 110 - 240V" which means its dual. Appliances such as hairdryers aren't and they will burn you at 240V.

And most converters won't handle a hair dryer or curling iron, and not all dryers or irons are compatible with the ones that do.  You would be wise to find out if she plans to bring either, and get the exact model so you can research a converter that will handle them.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 08:47 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: And most converters won't handle a hair dryer or curling iron, and not all dryers or irons are compatible with the ones that do.  You would be wise to find out if she plans to bring either, and get the exact model so you can research a converter that will handle them.

No fear there, it's a good day when she combs it without much of a fight. 
Reply/Quote
Always wear clean underwear.

Don't take any wooden nickels.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 11:27 PM)Benton Wrote: So in a couple months I'll be traveling to Spain with my daughter. It'll be the first time for either of us out of the country (well, off a cruise ship any way).

Any tips?

Anyone been to Spain who can recommend places to hit? My daughter will be in soccer training 24/7 so outside of attending a few of her games, I'll have plenty of time to explore.

Rick Steves offers solid travel tips for EU. Id also just do a search on YouTube for' Rick Steves'.

https://youtu.be/E5pP_guH7-E

https://youtu.be/g5qTSoMjYhE

https://youtu.be/uz0UCZkPqbA
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Don't drink the water? Cool

Hope you have a great time!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 02:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't drink the water?  Cool

I'm actually kind of curious there. A friend of mine went and trained kids at Dortmund Germany and said the weirdest part was the water. It was hard to find it non-carbonated.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 02:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't drink the water?  Cool

I don't think is going to the Dominican
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 10:08 AM)Synric Wrote: Wall outlet adapters and figure out if your devices can handle the 220V/240V. If they dont you'll need to have a transformer to convert it to 110V.

(07-17-2019, 02:23 PM)Benton Wrote: Hmm, thanks. I thought you just got the adapters, didn't realize you needed a converter.

Take all the mystery and thinking out of it because just having an adapter isn't enough!  I recently went to France on business, and bought one of these.  Converter, adapter and power strip all in one.

And why buy just one?  Go for two (serious).  You won't regret it!

International Power Converter
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 02:58 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm actually kind of curious there. A friend of mine went and trained kids at Dortmund Germany and said the weirdest part was the water. It was hard to find it non-carbonated.

In some countries you must request "flat water", otherwise you will get soda water.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2019, 09:38 AM)Stewy Wrote: Take all the mystery and thinking out of it because just having an adapter isn't enough!  I recently went to France on business, and bought one of these.  Converter, adapter and power strip all in one.

And why buy just one?  Go for two (serious).  You won't regret it!

International Power Converter

That's what I'm looking for so I do t blow up my phone. I won't be using it for calls, but I figure I'll at least try to translate app. 

(07-19-2019, 10:09 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: In some countries you must request "flat water", otherwise you will get soda water.

Thanks, good to know. Since my daughter will be at the compound and I'll be on my own outside of a few hours a day, I figured I'll probly be drinking for whatever passes for cheap beer.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 11:27 PM)Benton Wrote: So in a couple months I'll be traveling to Spain with my daughter. It'll be the first time for either of us out of the country (well, off a cruise ship any way).

Any tips?

What city in Spain?

Pack light. If I'm going for a week, I try to fit everything in a carry-on. I use the sealable plastic bags: you put a shirt in, roll it up from the bottom to push all the air out like a tube of toothpaste, then seal it. You fit more in a smaller space that way. Pack more underwear than anything else.

Join AAA. They can exchange U.S. money for Euros here in the U.S. generally at a better rate of transfer. But this can vary periodically.

Don't keep all your money in one place and ALWAYS know where your passports are. If you are staying at a hotel, they can hold your passports in their safe for you while you stay with them. But if you travel out of town, you'll need them with you.

Download bus and train info and maps before you go. Namely, when trains and buses leave and return. Always know when the last train or bus leaves that day (I have a horror story about a taxi in Cusco, Peru regarding that!).

A lot of Europeans speak English. But it is good to know a couple of phrases in Spanish if you don't already, like: "dos boletos por favor" = "two tickets please", "gracias" = "thanks", "habla Inglés?" = "Do you speak English", and "Mis bolas están ardiendo por ti" = "Is there a hotel nearby".
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 03:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think is going to the Dominican

Yeah. A lot of the natural water in Spain is really excellent. If you see an old Roman well that still works, it is because the water is good.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 02:58 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm actually kind of curious there. A friend of mine went and trained kids at Dortmund Germany and said the weirdest part was the water. It was hard to find it non-carbonated.

(07-19-2019, 10:09 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: In some countries you must request "flat water", otherwise you will get soda water.

^ This. Perrier, San Pelligrino, etc. are really popular in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 07:38 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: A lot of Europeans speak English. But it is good to know a couple of phrases in Spanish if you don't already, like: "dos boletos por favor" = "two tickets please", "gracias" = "thanks", "habla Inglés?" = "Do you speak English", and "Mis bolas están ardiendo por ti" = "Is there a hotel nearby".

This.  It probably goes without saying but do your best to speak the language in the country you are in.  Even if it is just simple phrases.  While many Europeans speak a least a little English they always seem to appreciate it if you at least try instead of walking up and just expecting them to speak English.  So even if you just ask if they speak English in their language it helps.  Although sometimes even if they do speak English they will say no if they don't want to bother.   :)

I'll always remember when my Mom came to visit me while I was in Germany.  When I took her to the airport to leave there was an American yelling at a poor woman that worked there because she could not understand his English. He had a thick southern accent so it probably made it even more difficult for her to understand. I was really embarrassed because it is that kind of behavior that gives Americans traveling overseas a bad name, well among other things. 

My German girlfriend at the time told me that the stereotypical American tourist is loud, overweight, and often wears some kind of sports related shirt or coat.  That was a long time ago so I'm not sure if that perception has changed but I did start to notice the loudness of American tourists after she told me that.

I've never been to Spain so I can't provide any tips specific to there. It sounds like you have a nice trip planned though so I hope you enjoy it.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote