Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trenton Irwin is Such an Amazing Person!
(11-01-2023, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes I believe that's a Bluegill. They're as you say literally in just about every body of water around here. I've seen them in creeks you can jump across. The smallest of ponds, even mudholes made by tractors or whatever that stay full of water. You can catch them with just a shiny hook, no bait lol. 

They call them Bream farther south. And they're closely related to the Sunfish species I believe? Very similar in shape/size just a little different coloration and no blue dot by gills.

Anyways, great job Trenton. A real nice guy.

When I wrote about Pumpkinseeds being the easiest to catch, I too was going to say, "sometimes, you only need a hook!" LOL

They are a Sunfish, correct: you guys have a lot more than we do (we just have the two):

- Red Ear
- Warmouth
- Green
- Spotted

And I think there are a few more.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 08:41 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Crappie*, not Croppy. Hate the misnomers that have been parrotted around for fish for decades (not your fault, Nate lol: it's a problem here in Canada too), but Crappie are related to the fish in the pic.

And the fish in the pic is a Pumpkinseed (the most-commonly found Sunfish in NA).

Almost every single body of water that is part of a river watershed here in Ontario (so only pool-like lakes, that have no inflow/outflow, like what you guys have in the Mountain states, are not part of rivers), has Pumpkinseed in it. If your hook is small-enough, it is easily the easiest fish to catch in North America lol.

EDIT* actually, on a second look, that looks like a Bluegill (notice the blue spot around the gills)... which is the second most-common Sunfish lol. These are everywhere from Lake Simcoe and east, in Ontario and there are a few lakes around the Muskokas (where I normally fish) that hold them.

They grow just a bit bigger on average than Pumpkinseed, though they fight MUCH harder (but since they are still small, they don't put up much of a fight lol).

Awesome, thanks for the correction Truck. Surprised I was as close as I was lol

Bluegill, nice. Wink

You know your fish for sure. I only know about the fish out here in the Northwest. Trout (Cutthroat, Brown, Rainbow, Brookies, 
Golden) Mackinaw, Bass (Large Mouth, Small Mouth) White Sturgeon, Salmon (Kokanee, Chinook) Steelhead, Walleye and the 
the different types of Suckers etc.

(11-01-2023, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes I believe that's a Bluegill. They're as you say literally in just about every body of water around here. I've seen them in creeks you can jump across. The smallest of ponds, even mudholes made by tractors or whatever that stay full of water. You can catch them with just a shiny hook, no bait lol. 

They call them Bream farther south. And they're closely related to the Sunfish species I believe? Very similar in shape/size just a little different coloration and no blue dot by gills.

Anyways, great job Trenton. A real nice guy.

Good stuff, they sound quite prevalent over there lol
Reply/Quote
Great stuff, Nate!

I'm glad Pike haven't made their way to you guys yet: across the border in Alberta, they have ended up there and they are voracious on small trout populations, thus the Bull and Cutthroat numbers in the rivers out west, are beginning to dwindle.

They are more prevalent the more east you go, with Ontario being the Pike capital of Canada (Manitoba too). I caught over a dozen this year lol.

I've only ever caught one trout in my life (a Lake Trout, in lake #3 of Waterton Lakes Nat'l Park, on the other side of the border from Glacier), but have tried in recent years to expand that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote