Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hendrickson so far
He looked better than PFF indicates.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 06:38 PM)jason Wrote: ^^^^ This.

Even further back....Rickey Jackson....if only we had a Pat Swilling opposite him. Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hendrickson is better than Lawson and its not even close. Dunlap in his prime was a closer match to Hendrickson, but the attitude and leadership makes Trey an even better signing. Definitely the best or one of the best FA's we've signed in a while for sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 07:29 PM)samhain Wrote: I view Hubbard as a Rob Ninkovich type of player.  He's a solid player and he's not terrible at any particular thing.  He's got leadership qualities that give him a different kind of value to the team.  That said, he's not great at anything either.  

Quantifiably the best DE in the league against the run, isn't great?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 10:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: He looked better than PFF indicates.

Overall, he's not rated bad. Graded 13th on all pass rush. 6th on true pass sets. 

By the numbers, of those top 13 he's 5-7th in sacks, total pressures, pass rush productivity and win percentage. 

If you take the next 13 after him (Shaq Barrett at 26th) only 4 guys have better numbers than him at any one of those metrics.
Barrett, total pressures
Judon, sacks
Judon, Mack, Gregory, pass rush productivity
Judon, win%

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2021, 10:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Overall, he's not rated bad. Graded 13th on all pass rush. 6th on true pass sets. 

By the numbers, of those top 13 he's 5-7th in sacks, total pressures, pass rush productivity and win percentage. 

If you take the next 13 after him (Shaq Barrett at 26th) only 4 guys have better numbers than him at any one of those metrics.
Barrett, total pressures
Judon, sacks
Judon, Mack, Gregory, pass rush productivity
Judon, win%

I remember thinking we should draft Judon out of Gran Valley State (I think that was it) and he was there in the 5th round.  He really seems to have found his spot.
Reply/Quote
There is a guy who ranks O-linemen based on "sacks allowed+holding penalties".  His logic is that a holding penalty usually means the blocker was getting beaten bad enough to allow a sack.  I'd like to see how many holding penalties Hendrickson has drawn.

Plus he had a sack against Jacksonville wiped out by a penalty on one of our DBs.

He is absolutely killing it.

I always defended the value of Carl Lawsons pass rush.  Even though he did not put up big sack numbers his pressure had a big impact on the passing game.  But there is no way I would have given Lawson a big contract with history of injuries.  We struck gold with Hendrickson, but even he would not have as may sacks if we still had Daniels and Covington at DT.  

It makes my head swim to look at our D-line and think what all of us would have said just two years ago if someone would have told us. "Don't worry about our D-line.  We will restock it with 3 free agents getting yearly salaries of $15 million, $13.3 million, and $6.2 million." It is like a whole new world around here.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 09:15 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Carl Lawson's cap hit for the Jets: $15,000.000

Uf da.  Just saying.  

Good move by the Bengals.

...and Lawson is missing the entire season with yet another injury.

Hendrickson is better than Lawson at staying healthy, and just plain better.

Some were saying this 6 months ago. Smirk
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2021, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There is a guy who ranks O-linemen based on "sacks allowed+holding penalties".  His logic is that a holding penalty usually means the blocker was getting beaten bad enough to allow a sack.  I'd like to see how many holding penalties Hendrickson has drawn.

Plus he had a sack against Jacksonville wiped out by a penalty on one of our DBs.

He is absolutely killing it.

I always defended the value of Carl Lawsons pass rush.  Even though he did not put up big sack numbers his pressure had a big impact on the passing game.  But there is no way I would have given Lawson a big contract with history of injuries.  We struck gold with Hendrickson, but even he would not have as may sacks if we still had Daniels and Covington at DT.  

It makes my head swim to look at our D-line and think what all of us would have said just two years ago if someone would have told us. "Don't worry about our D-line.  We will restock it with 3 free agents getting yearly salaries of $15 million, $13.3 million, and $6.2 million." It is like a whole new world around here.

No doubt.  It's very different to look at the defense and see Hendrickson, Reader, Ogunjobi, Awuzie, Bell, and Hilton (a starter for all practical purposes) filling out the first string defense and all of them being significantly expensive outside free agents, developed by other organizations.  This doesn't even take Waynes into account, and even his backup is an outside guy, as is the guy they just signed to possibly replace Apple.

The best thing is that it worked.  The old conventional wisdom in the NFL was always that you couldn't just buy a defense.  It seems like that's exactly what they've done, in addition to actually drafting well at linebacker. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 07:29 PM)samhain Wrote: I view Hubbard as a Rob Ninkovich type of player.  He's a solid player and he's not terrible at any particular thing.  He's got leadership qualities that give him a different kind of value to the team.  That said, he's not great at anything either.  

Horrible take... dude leads the league DE's in run defense.
Reply/Quote
I have a bet with my brother that Trey will get 3 sacks today. Get it done my man!

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
Every time I see any player knocking it out of the park for this team I'm thinking, Yeah, a broken leg just waiting to happen.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:39 AM)The American Dream Wrote: I have a bet with my brother that Trey will get 3 sacks today. Get it done my man!

I was thinking 2.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Horrible take... dude leads the league DE's in run defense.

Well, you'd know a horrible take being the guy who spent an hour thinking Ossai's season ending injury initial story was just some Bengal-hating amateur journalist making shit up.  So when's he coming back, slugger?
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:53 AM)samhain Wrote: Well, you'd know a horrible take being the guy who spent an hour thinking Ossai's season ending injury initial story was just some Bengal-hating amateur journalist making shit up.  So when's he coming back, slugger?

Really, that's all ya got?  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 07:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Really, that's all ya got?  Hilarious
Apparently you didn't have much either. You more or less copied another poster verbatim.  You don't seem like a dude with a lot of ideas of his own.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2021, 08:45 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Hendrickson is better than Lawson and its not even close. Dunlap in his prime was a closer match to Hendrickson, but the attitude and leadership makes Trey an even better signing. Definitely the best or one of the best FA's we've signed in a while for sure.

I know we are taking heat because Waynes cannot stay healthy, but 8n terms of FAs the last two years: Hendrickson, Reader, Awuzie, and Bell have all been pretty damn good. Hilton has been just fine. Ricardo Allen good. And do not look now, but Eli Apple is improving as well. Reiff struggled at times today, but has been OK, and certainly better than Hart.  

Next year, we get Ossai back, free up $10 million by getting rid of Waynes & using it to pay someone who can stay healthy (OL or CB), plus the draft. 

Except for ZTs playcalling, I am excited. And even he does have his moments. 
Reply/Quote
He’s already matched Lawson’s 5.5 sacks from last season.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 08:24 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I know we are taking heat because Waynes cannot stay healthy, but 8n terms of FAs the last two years: Hendrickson, Reader, Awuzie, and Bell have all been pretty damn good. Hilton has been just fine. Ricardo Allen good. And do not look now, but Eli Apple is improving as well. Reiff struggled at times today, but has been OK, and certainly better than Hart.  

Next year, we get Ossai back, free up $10 million by getting rid of Waynes & using it to pay someone who can stay healthy (OL or CB), plus the draft. 

Except for ZTs playcalling, I am excited. And even he does have his moments. 

Maybe Tre Flowers can pull an Awuzie and look like a legit corner in a different scheme.  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 08:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s already matched Lawson’s 5.5 sacks from last season.

I never got the love fest for Lawson. Good player for sure, but you need a guy to finish and get sacks. Hurries are great, but sacks are better. Makes the other team lose yardage and a down. Sacks are drive killers.

Also, the guy couldn't stay healthy, and that's continued this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote