Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hopkins
I was impressed with Trey on Sunday.

To my eyes he looked as good at center as he ever did at RG .vs. Falcons...sure someone will tell me PFF rated him awful!

Considering the lack of start he looks more than a stopgap and the pass pressure seemed to be coming from the edges not up the middle plus he was standing guys like Jarett up on run blocks.

With Boling, Redmond, Hopkins, Price and Westerman our interior suddenly looks a lot more solid then i thought after last season.
Reply/Quote
I'm totally impressed with how Trey has stepped in for Price....
Reply/Quote
Price is just a rookie, he should sit out the year and learn from Hopkins from the sidelines like most rookie QBs.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 08:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm totally impressed with how Trey has stepped in for Price....

Me too.  Dare I say, coaching?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the coaches have considered keeping him at C, while moving Price to G. It raises issues like a backup C (or lack thereof), but it’s worth consideration, in my opinion.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Um...No. Hopkins was okay against Atlanta but against Carolina he was doing a convincing Bodine impression. We need to get Price back in there so he starts getting experience again and we need to get rid of Hart because so far he has been awful in three of the four games.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 11:04 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I wonder if the coaches have considered keeping him at C, while moving Price to G. It raises issues like a backup C (or lack thereof), but it’s worth consideration, in my opinion.

Price could always slide back to C if needed.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 11:08 AM)Joelist Wrote: Um...No. Hopkins was okay against Atlanta but against Carolina he was doing a convincing Bodine impression. We need to get Price back in there so he starts getting experience again and we need to get rid of Hart because so far he has been awful in three of the four games.

Regarding Hart, the question is who takes his place? Coaching sees something more in him than we do, that seems certain. At least they stopped trotting Fisher and Ogbuehi out there, two tackles that I think we all have seen enough of over recent years.

Hopkins has likely done his best, but I agree with getting Price back as soon as he's ready. He's not just the future, he's our starting center. Every snap he gets will make him that much better. I wonder how Hopkins would fare at RG? 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Hopkins has done well replacing Price, but Billy will go back to center when he heals. As for RG, I don't know if we have anyone at the moment...
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 11:48 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Regarding Hart, the question is who takes his place? Coaching sees something more in him than we do, that seems certain. At least they stopped trotting Fisher and Ogbuehi out there, two tackles that I think we all have seen enough of over recent years.

Hopkins has likely done his best, but I agree with getting Price back as soon as he's ready. He's not just the future, he's our starting center. Every snap he gets will make him that much better. I wonder how Hopkins would fare at RG? 

He played RG last season.....it wasn't all that pretty....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 05:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: He played RG last season.....it wasn't all that pretty....lol.

to be honest that what why i posted this...i was firmly in the Westerman at RG camp (over Hopkins) at end of last season.

With Price out i was worried we would spring a leak at C as well as RT with Hart.

So i was pleasantly surprised with how he has done at Center in price absence 
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 11:08 AM)Joelist Wrote: Um...No. Hopkins was okay against Atlanta but against Carolina he was doing a convincing Bodine impression. We need to get Price back in there so he starts getting experience again and we need to get rid of Hart because so far he has been awful in three of the four games.

I thought Price .vs. Indy had done the best Bodine impression to date.  

To be honest I think Hart is going to be a rollercoaster all season. There are no better options and in some instances he will just get abused  (lets just say I'm not looking forward to Von Miller and the Broncos)

Have to say Glenn is worrying me a bit after last 2 games - though i think that may be injury he is carrying.  
Reply/Quote
Hopkins has done a good job at center replacing price. I think he will start at guard or keep his center position when price returns. No need to rush price back and have him be 50%
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 05:45 PM)sonofstat Wrote: To be honest I thought Price .vs. Indy had done the best Bodine impression to date.  

To be honest I think Hart is going to be a rollercoaster all season. There are no better options and in some instances he will just get abused  (lets just say I'm not looking forward to Von Miller and the Broncos)

Have to say Glenn is worrying me a bit after last 2 games - though i think that may be injury he is carrying.  

Price did it on one snap then cleaned it up and was good the rest of the way. Hopkins did it multiple times against Carolina. 
Reply/Quote
Here's what I think will happen, when Billy Price returns to full health.

He'll return to the starting Center position, and Hopkins will return to the bench, until he's needed again. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 05:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: He played RG last season.....it wasn't all that pretty....lol.

I was kinda fearful it was something like that. Last season was so painful to witness that I blocked most of it tbh. It still boggles my mind how an NFL team allows one of the most important groups go downhill (and stay there) like the Bengals have. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 09:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I was kinda fearful it was something like that. Last season was so painful to witness that I blocked most of it tbh. It still boggles my mind how an NFL team allows one of the most important groups go downhill (and stay there) like the Bengals have. 

What's most important, is that another coach showed that he too could also pound on the table, in order to show that he means business.  Bill Lazor put Paul Alexander in his place last year, and it led to a change in OL coach.  Things seem to have only gotten better, since.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe Hopkins stays at center, Price swings over to RG, and Redmond becomes the swing interior lineman at some point this season? 

He had some not so great plays against the Panthers i think, but looked like he had cleaned it up against the Falcons pretty well.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 11:48 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Regarding Hart, the question is who takes his place? Coaching sees something more in him than we do, that seems certain. At least they stopped trotting Fisher and Ogbuehi out there, two tackles that I think we all have seen enough of over recent years.

From what I am hearing from Lap, Hopkins is a natural center and better at the Center position than guard.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's what I think will happen, when Billy Price returns to full health.

He'll return to the starting Center position, and Hopkins will return to the bench, until he's needed again.  Mellow

Boo!!!    

SunsetBengal....i don't come to this message board for logical and pragmatic answers  Wink
Reply/Quote