Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hopkins
(10-04-2018, 07:26 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Boo!!!    

SunsetBengal....i don't come to this message board for logical and pragmatic answers  Wink

So many seem to think that offensive linemen are like cards in a deck, you can just keep shuffling them until you get the hand that you want.  It doesn't really work that way.  Say you have an injury, and that position's backup is a starter at another spot.  By shifting that man over, you've now created a situation of not one, but two guys playing in spots out of their normal.  Lines that are veteran and have experience together can pull it off.  To just whimsically doing it is like spinning a roulette wheel, and hoping how it ends up makes you a winner.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 08:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So many seem to think that offensive linemen are like cards in a deck, you can just keep shuffling them until you get the hand that you want.  It doesn't really work that way.  Say you have an injury, and that position's backup is a starter at another spot.  By shifting that man over, you've now created a situation of not one, but two guys playing in spots out of their normal.  Lines that are veteran and have experience together can pull it off.  To just whimsically doing it is like spinning a roulette wheel, and hoping how it ends up makes you a winner.

It's like a ketchup bottle and how you squeeze it.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 09:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I was kinda fearful it was something like that. Last season was so painful to witness that I blocked most of it tbh. It still boggles my mind how an NFL team allows one of the most important groups go downhill (and stay there) like the Bengals have. 

Even more mind boggling is how they continually repeat that mistake. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
He has played better than Bodine did last season. now Price was better this season Im not saying he's probowl level or anything. Im thankful Alexander is no longer coaching this line but Hopkins has been a pleasant surprise as a UDFA.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 01:21 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He has played better than Bodine did last season. now Price was better this season Im not saying he's probowl level or anything. Im thankful Alexander is no longer coaching this line  but Hopkins has been a pleasant surprise as a UDFA.

Yeah, and as much as I hate the thought of Price not playing center, plugging him in at right guard would make the right side ALMOST as good as the left side......
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 01:21 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He has played better than Bodine did last season. now Price was better this season Im not saying he's probowl level or anything. Im thankful Alexander is no longer coaching this line  but Hopkins has been a pleasant surprise as a UDFA.

No doubt, dude needs some props.

(10-06-2018, 01:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, and as much as I hate the thought of Price not playing center, plugging him in at right guard would make the right side ALMOST as good as the left side......

As much as i want Price at Center this is not a bad idea if Hopkins keeps playing like this at Center.

Hopkins is clearly a better Center than he is a Guard, clearly.

Not better than Price but this might get our best OL on the field.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for getting our best out there. If this involves moving Price so be it.
Reply/Quote
I dont think Hopkins is a better C than Price. Nor do I think Hopkins is better at C than he is at G. I think the difference is Pollack. He is a better OL coach by a wide margin and is getting the best out of his guys no matter where he puts them.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 03:43 PM)Beaker Wrote: I dont think Hopkins is a better C than Price. Nor do I think Hopkins is better at C than he is at G. I think the difference is Pollack. He is a better OL coach by a wide margin and is getting the best out of his guys no matter where he puts them.

Lazor and Dalton.

Dalton is one if the best quarterbacks against pressure and the blitz this season. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 03:43 PM)Beaker Wrote: I dont think Hopkins is a better C than Price. Nor do I think Hopkins is better at C than he is at G. I think the difference is Pollack. He is a better OL coach by a wide margin and is getting the best out of his guys no matter where he puts them.

Of course Hopkins is not a better Center than Price but...

I have never been impressed much by Hopkins at Guard much.

Been very surprised in a great way how Hop has played at Center.

You could be right though and Pollack is just starting to get the best out of him.

Hope he gets the best out of Redmond soon.

Think Price would be an immediate upgrade over Redmond when healthy is the point.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 04:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Lazor and Dalton.

Dalton is one if the best quarterbacks against pressure and the blitz this season. 

Looks like what Van Pelt was working on with Dalton has really paid off.
Reply/Quote

(10-06-2018, 04:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Lazor and Dalton.

Both of these statements ring true it is a bit of both Daltons quick release Lazor's game plan and better O-line coaching.

I want to see two or three years from now when Pollack has had a few drafts what this line looks like it might very well be a strength.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 04:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Looks like what Van Pelt was working on with Dalton has really paid off.

We've always known that Andy had the physical tools, along with the smarts to get the job done.  What I think the difference is this year?  More times than not, the pressure is coming from the outside, where it should be coming from.  In previous seasons, it came right up the middle and blew things up, before they had a chance to develop.  I think having an emphasis on the interior OL has made a huge difference.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 10:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We've always known that Andy had the physical tools, along with the smarts to get the job done.  What I think the difference is this year?  More times than not, the pressure is coming from the outside, where it should be coming from.  In previous seasons, it came right up the middle and blew things up, before they had a chance to develop.  I think having an emphasis on the interior OL has made a huge difference.

When the Center is constantly being driven back into the QB's lap he has no chance so true.

Great job by Hopkins filling in for Price so far.

BTW, just heard on CBS, Dalton is THE BEST QB in the NFL when facing the blitz right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When the Center is constantly being driven back into the QB's lap he has no chance so true.

Great job by Hopkins filling in for Price so far.

BTW, just heard on CBS, Dalton is THE BEST QB in the NFL when facing the blitz right now.

Despite all of the criticism about the lack of playoff success, Dalton has been consistently praised through the years, as having one of the quickest releases in the league.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 01:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Despite all of the criticism about the lack of playoff success, Dalton has been consistently praised through the years, as having one of the quickest releases in the league.

Well he damn sure better or he would be David Carr by now lmao!
Reply/Quote