Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hopkins
He's done a hell of a job snapping the ball that's for sure. And for all we know that may be the big knock hurting Price.

I'd like to see him at RG. It'll be nice to come out of season with the right guard and center solidified.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 02:47 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Price was a horrible freaking pick. Lions screwed us by grabbing Ragnow.

Of course, I assume that - Billy is a Buckeye, after all. He may have been the pick even if Ragnow was still on the board.

When Ragnow was stolen, we should have pivoted to the next best player on our board. Instead we took a 3rd/4th round talent because he fit a positional need that we didn't even really have.

Viva Duke Tobin.

1.  I don't know about this year but as rookies Ragnow was no better than Price.

2.  Price was not a 3rd/4th round talent.

3.  We had a HUGE need at Center.  Trey was starting in 2017 and I don't remember ANYONE here saying he was the answer at OC.  In fact most people were saying he needed to be replaced.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Further proof the Bengals have finally found a good Center and need to get him locked up for a few more years...
https://twitter.com/PFF_Bengals/status/1181939160912990210

Get this guy extended ASAP!

With Curly and Mo on one side and Larry and Shep on the other, it's a wonder Hopkins is still standing. Same for Dalton.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 08:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  I don't know about this year but as rookies Ragnow was no better than Price.

2.  Price was not a 3rd/4th round talent.

3.  We had a HUGE need at Center.  Trey was starting in 2017 and I don't remember ANYONE here saying he was the answer at OC.  In fact most people were saying he needed to be replaced.

Hopkins was starting at RG in 2017, not C. It wasn’t known he could or would play C going into last year. It’s a pleasant surprise that he’s been able to turn into a quality starter at any position.

And yes, you are right on the other points. Last year, Ragnow didn’t even play C and was not good at OG. Price was projected in the 30’s to 40’s for overall prospect rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 06:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, can disrupt a play better if you can go right through the middle instead of going the long way around.

Hence Aaron Donald and Geno disrupting Offenses all these years. You collapse the pocket from the inside...

The QB has only one choice, run.

NFL is all about finding uneven matchups and taking advantage of those matchups. We are CLEARLY at a disadvantage on the edges, and good coaches recognize and exploit that.

Ideally, yes, you collapse the pocket from the inside, but with a QB who refuses to climb the pocket and back up up up up LT and RT, why not just destroy them on the edges over and over?

Gameplanning a pass rush against the Bengals seems like a no-brainer.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 03:27 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Damn Lions! I feel the fool for wanting Billy Price over Frank Ragnow now.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/09/frank-ragnow-is-nfls-no-1-center-graham-glasgow-no-3-guard-per-pff/

Yes and you can Devin Bush to that "if only" list ….Steelers knew we were going to grab him and they did what they needed to do. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 10:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: NFL is all about finding uneven matchups and taking advantage of those matchups. We are CLEARLY at a disadvantage on the edges, and good coaches recognize and exploit that.

Ideally, yes, you collapse the pocket from the inside, but with a QB who refuses to climb the pocket and back up up up up LT and RT, why not just destroy them on the edges over and over?

The edge is killing the Bengals because both OT are weak and DL does not have backer help for containment.   Backers are the weakest link on defense by far.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Serious question.  What about that PFF rating below 70, that claims Hopkins is among the NFL's best?  Do all Centers just suck in general?  I thought I remembered you saying that anything below 70 was pretty much "bad".

Pistons seems to be avoiding your serious question Sunset.  Smirk 

(10-09-2019, 08:36 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Similarly, has any player obtained higher 90s?  Or are the scaling weighted by social comparison which prevent this?  What do the numbers mean?  Is the score 70 on a standardized bell-shape curve where 70 is the mean?  Does 70-80 have the same ratio in terms of variance and probability as 80-90.  The reason i say this is if more frequent scores are in the 70-80 range, then just using probability, the 10-20 scores would be infrequent and the 90 and above scores would be infrequent.  You can be the best QB in the world ever and not score consistently in the 90s or even reach 100.  If that is the case being that the best QB ever and cannot consistently achieve the best or toward the best scores, what do these scores mean?

Good questions. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 10:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: NFL is all about finding uneven matchups and taking advantage of those matchups. We are CLEARLY at a disadvantage on the edges, and good coaches recognize and exploit that.

Yes, I agree I am just saying this takes nothing from Hopkins as I thought you were alluding to.

(10-09-2019, 11:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The edge is killing the Bengals because both OT are weak and DL does not have backer help for containment.   Backers are the weakest link on defense by far.  

True.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 02:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I was honestly surprised Trey Hop has that high of a run blocking grade.

Especially with these Guards on both sides of him, namely Miller. Says even more about Trey Hop's play.

Put Price in at RG please. Leave Jordan at LG and let him learn. Jerry actually had a very good game against Chandler Jones.

His grade has been slipping, game by game, but that probably has more to do with the guys next to him. 

He def needs a "bounce back" game this week though. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 02:17 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I seriously do not know what happened to Price.  He was a bull and the ONLY Bengal getting any push at LOS.  Yet, he looks lost as hell and his pass-pro has regressed under Turner.  

He doesn't seem to be very good coming in cold, off the bench for a few snaps. His one whole game, Buffalo, he was below average but i'm sure like any guy, if you give him the spot for a few games, he could settle in, settle down and do something. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
As a side note. Guess who the current top rated center is...

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As a side note. Guess who the current top rated center is...

Ragnow?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 10:48 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes and you can Devin Bush to that "if only" list ….Steelers knew we were going to grab him and they did what they needed to do. 

We would not have taken Bush with Williams available.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 02:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: His grade has been slipping, game by game, but that probably has more to do with the guys next to him. 

He def needs a "bounce back" game this week though. 

Miller had a couple good blocks on the opening series of the last game and then just seemed to run out of steam.

I just don't think he has the stamina to play an entire game. This hurts Hop along with Jordan and his penalties.

(10-10-2019, 03:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He doesn't seem to be very good coming in cold, off the bench for a few snaps. His one whole game, Buffalo, he was below average but i'm sure like any guy, if you give him the spot for a few games, he could settle in, settle down and do something. 

Agreed, Price needs to get some time out there to judge him. Price has to be better than Miller and probably is better 
then Jordan at this point once he gets his feet wet. If Price is 100% I think you should play him with his upside. I don't
see any upside with Miller.

I know Price will be playing LG this week in Jordan's place but Price played RG in college and played great. Jordan has
upside at LG and maybe even LT some day.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We would not have taken Bush with Williams available.

For sure and Bush wasn't there anyways so it is a moot point.

Plus Bush isn't good in pass coverage or very good even at stopping the run so I don't see how he would benefit
us now where our weaknesses lie which is stopping the run on the edge and in coverage with our LB's.
Reply/Quote
In the modern NFL, you take an OT over a LB. I think most teams do that atleast.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 02:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hope he eats his Wheaties!!!!!

In all seriousness, he has graded better than MJ, albeit in limited action, might as well damn the torpedos!

Well....i finally get to see my Price/Jerry combo that i've been screaming about for 3 weeks.

Let's see how it goes... Nervous

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Ragnow?

Yep. Somehow i missed an entire page of this thread and didn't see that it's already been talked about.  Sad

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 04:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In the modern NFL, you take an OT over a LB. I think most teams do that atleast.

Yeah, kind of hard to find great OT's now a dayz.

Jonah could be a great one. 

I don't know if Bush will amount to much more than a pass rusher that makes plays sometimes.

He will always have his weaknesses in coverage and sideline to sideline ability.

He is not even that good of a tackler.
Reply/Quote