Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hopkins
I recently read Trey Hopkins has been taking snaps at RG with Smith sliding out to RT some. Do you think this is just to get TH some snaps with the first team to see what we have there? Is Fisher underwhelming at RT? Let's say that FINALLY Hopkins is healthy, I remember some hype about him as one of our top UDFA signings a couple years ago, does he break into the top unit if he plays well this preseason? I'm not sold on Smith learning a new position next to a so far underwhelming Fisher as much as I am a healthy Hopkins next to a Smith playing his natural position. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 03:04 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I recently read Trey Hopkins has been taking snaps at RG with Smith sliding out to RT some. Do you think this is just to get TH some snaps with the first team to see what we have there? Is Fisher underwhelming at RT? Let's say that FINALLY Hopkins is healthy, I remember some hype about him as one of our top UDFA signings a couple years ago, does he break into the top unit if he plays well this preseason? I'm not sold on Smith learning a new position next to a so far underwhelming Fisher as much as I am a healthy Hopkins next to a Smith playing his natural position.  Thoughts?

If Hopkins starts I'll be happy because you can do worse than Andre Smith as a back up.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 03:04 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I recently read Trey Hopkins has been taking snaps at RG with Smith sliding out to RT some. Do you think this is just to get TH some snaps with the first team to see what we have there? Is Fisher underwhelming at RT? Let's say that FINALLY Hopkins is healthy, I remember some hype about him as one of our top UDFA signings a couple years ago, does he break into the top unit if he plays well this preseason? I'm not sold on Smith learning a new position next to a so far underwhelming Fisher as much as I am a healthy Hopkins next to a Smith playing his natural position.  Thoughts?

I have read that Fischer has been our most impressive Olineman early in TC so I don't see that aspect. Think Trey's snaps are coming simply because Andre is easing back in from injury.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have read that Fischer has been our most impressive Olineman early in TC so I don't see that aspect. Think Trey's snaps are coming simply because Andre is easing back in from injury.

They also could be prepping Fisher to be LT.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Smart move.. Olines are such moving pieces with injuries throughout the year etc.. the more you can move the pieces around the better especially when you have players get hurt
Reply/Quote
Hopkins is young and most importantly to the Bengals a low price tag guard. Makes sense to get him some work, and it never hurts to have Smith ready to slide out to tackle in case of injury or someone being terrible again.

Seems like Hopkins name was popping up a lot prior to and even at the start of camp, maybe the guy has just outworked Andre and now they are looking at Smith as more of a back-up G/T swingman.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have read that Fischer has been our most impressive Olineman early in TC so I don't see that aspect. Think Trey's snaps are coming simply because Andre is easing back in from injury.
I saw that Laphem said that, but also saw multiple outlets report that Marvin singled out for his poor play on Sunday.  "You're on the ground an awful lot 74," was the quote iirc.
Reply/Quote
I take it Christian Westerman isn't looking too good? I haven't heard a word about him so far in camp.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 04:24 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I take it Christian Westerman isn't looking too good?  I haven't heard a word about him so far in camp.

I haven't seen anything positive or negative about him.
Reply/Quote
The O-line coach said he will stop moving guys around when he finds 5 that can start. For what its worth I am not a fan of his but he is one of the guys in charge of picking the 5 starters. We don't need a great O-line we just need a good one hopefully we got the pieces to the puzzle on the roster.
Reply/Quote

Well  A Smith is probly 2nd String RT...  And Trey Hopkins is 2nd String RG  if I had to guess they were watching the 2nd String OL practicing
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 04:24 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I take it Christian Westerman isn't looking too good?  I haven't heard a word about him so far in camp.

Or their favorite in the offseason, Redmond?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 10:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Or their favorite in the offseason, Redmond?

I haven't heard squat about either of these two either. I'm excited to see how things shake out by the end of preseason, I just hope they let the best man win the job fair n square instead of giving the position away to a guy just because he commands the bigger contract!

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 05:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well  A Smith is probly 2nd String RT...  And Trey Hopkins is 2nd String RG  if I had to guess they were watching the 2nd String OL practicing

I agree with this.  They really just want to see how the backups look versus the 1st team defense.  Always running backups versus backups doesn't show much about a player's growth and development.  And early in training camp is most definitely the time and place to be evaluating how well your backups respond when called upon.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just moving players around to see how they do against the 1st team Defense.

I bet not very well. This Defense is stout.

I like Hopkins though from what i have seen. Versatile guy who can play Guard and Tackle if need be.

Just need to keep Andre healthy, that has been his problem his entire career.
Reply/Quote
Anyone who can block Atkins consistently wins the job.
Reply/Quote