Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trey Wingo Believes We Have The Best Talent In The NFL!
(05-06-2022, 05:02 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Injuries are a key. As Zac said the division comes first. It’s between the Raven’s and the Bengals. It’s a tossup. It’s who did better in the off season. Did the Bengals OL revamp make a big difference? The Raven’s OL has some issues. Linderbaum and Moses at tackle doesn’t match what they had IMO buts it’s close. They helped there safety room. We’ll see what they do about wide receiver. The Ravens may be going for a lot of tight end packages. I really think with what we did in our secondary we can counter. I may be a Homer but out rush defense was stout. Employing Hubbard as a spy on Lamar like we did Mahomes and rushing 3 and dropping 8 is tough. Their running game doesn’t scare me or their deep passing. Those games may be lower scoring this year. However I don’t know that anybody is going to be able to double cover Chase with Hurst and a better run game.

This is kind of how I view their (Bengals) chances:  Massive improvements on offensive line, better secondary depth, and more pass rushing tools vs. 2021-2022.  In other words, I think this Bengals team beats last year's handily.  The question is, how much has the rest of the league improved as well.  

Sure, Baltiwhore had a nice draft, but we forget that it is rare to get more than one or maybe two guys in a single draft class that make a big impact.  I mean, we all hope Carman develops, and Ossai flashed very briefly.  Cam Sample, Shelvin, and Smith saw limited action.  Shooter was a huge impact.  And even 6th rounder Chris Evans contributed, but in reality, only two (Chase and Shooter) had a big impact.  

Denver is intriguing because of the addition of a new, more offensive-minded coach, and Wilson.  I still think the Raiders are going to surprise everyone in the division.  They have talent galore on offense, and some really good pass rushers.  Chargers and Chiefs should be in the mix, but that division is likely to beat each other up a bit.  

The Browns?  Who knows about Watson...Could be a LONG suspension.

I guess I look at things on paper and can't believe the Ravens and Browns are favored to win the Super Bowl over Cincy.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Barring injuries and no dumpster fire scenario at LG we could have a number 1 offense to go with a top 5 defense we could be 2006 Pats type of dominant.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 01:31 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Barring injuries and no dumpster fire scenario at LG we could have a number 1 offense to go with a top 5 defense we could be 2006 Pats type of dominant.

Sky is the limit for the offense.

Defense will improve, but probably nothing close to top 5.  We were bottom half of the league last year and lost one our best players in Ogunjobi.  I think our top 3 picks will all contribute this year, and I also think Bates will play better during the regular season.  but don't see that as enough to elevate us to top 5.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't want to be accused of bashing our defense, but surely you understand why many NFL fans would give more weight to the 17 game season than a 4 game run when judging the '21 Bengals. We have all seen many teams play over their heads for a 4 game stretch.

Personally I think our offense is going to jump from top third in the league (13th yds, 7th pts) to one of the top 3 or 4.  Our O-line will be much better and no way Burrow throws as many picks as he did the first 12 games of last year.

Our defense will be improved also, but not as dramatically.  From bottom half of the league (18th yds, 17th pts) to top third in the league.  We will miss Ogunjobi.  I think he was one of the more underrated Bengals last year.  But I think our top 3 picks will have an immediate impact.  I also think that if Davis-Gaither stays healthy he could be a key role player for our defense.

We will have the talent to beat any team, but we won't have more talent than all of the other top teams in the league.

All understandable going off of the regular season where we had some bad games on Defense. I just think BJ Hill will continue
to grow and be better than what Ogunjobi gave us anyways especially as a run stopper where Ogunjobi wasn't nearly as good.

Zachary Carter could fill Ogunjobi's role for all we know or we could bring Larry back when he is healthy. What I like about this
Defense is we could already stop the run and we played disciplined against players like Lamar and Mahomes, so we can be a 
tough Defense for anyone as long as we get after the passer and we have lots of good pass rushers. 

Ossai in particular I expect to make a splash along with ADG as you and I agree on him.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sky is the limit for the offense.

Defense will improve, but probably nothing close to top 5.  We were bottom half of the league last year and lost one our best players in Ogunjobi.  I think our top 3 picks will all contribute this year, and I also think Bates will play better during the regular season.  but don't see that as enough to elevate us to top 5.

Agree

I think one thing that kina gets lost in the shuffle is our 2018,19, and 20 D's were at or near the bottom of the league. So coming up around the middle was a decent jump.

And I think we'll climb a bit more this season. Which should be good enough.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 01:31 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Barring injuries and no dumpster fire scenario at LG we could have a number 1 offense to go with a top 5 defense we could be 2006 Pats type of dominant.

I think we can have a defense that’s around 10 and an offense top 5. That’ll get you a lot of wins. It’s a shame they didn’t get Romeo Doubs. Great returner. I think the ST’s will be solid or among the league best.

Ogunjobi had a great year but B J Hill played exceptional in the late season.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sky is the limit for the offense.

18th is not that far off as you are trying to make it sound. 
We were more "middle of the pack" than "bottom half of the league".

I don't see top 5, but we should be "top half of the league" lol. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 10:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: 18th is not that far off as you are trying to make it sound. 
We were more "middle of the pack" than "bottom half of the league".

I don't see top 5, but we should be "top half of the league" lol. 

Our biggest problem on D last year was our Corner play behind Awuzie who was great.

I think Cam Taylor Britt could take Apple's spot as a rookie and play better than him. Wouldn't surprise me.

CTB just needs to not gamble as much as he did with the Huskers. But if he knows what the QB is doing I could see some pick 6's
with us in the future. He just needs to stay disciplined. Fantastic Corner for Lou to work with and I am not even mentioning Dax who
will get tons of snaps and chances to start anywhere in the Secondary with his speed and versatility.

We can stop the run, that is a start.
Reply/Quote
Grading this team going into the season.
QB A -
RB B
WR A
TE C+
OL B
DL A -
LB A -
S A -
CB B
P C+
K A
Returner D