Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey wasn't offside

Just happened upon this video, and it's quite illuminating.

It was by no means an egregious call, but if offside was reviewable Pratt's TD should have stood.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 03:45 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote:

It was by no means an egregious call, but if offside was reviewable Pratt's TD should have stood.

Has the NFL commented on this?   It was a horrible call that could have really impacted the outcome of the game.
Don't mock kids who believe in Santa, while adults still believe in Fox News.  

Reply/Quote
Sometimes, being SO good can be SO bad, especially if your fate is being determined by Goodell's Goons.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
a few thoughts:

In the youtube comments, you see people calling for reviews on stuff like this. While in this case we likely agree, can you imagine how long a football game would be if every call that was questionable (or heck, non-call) got a review? I'd only be able to drink my beer quota in the first quarter, lol.

Trey's jump on this was perfection, though. As a viewer watching it on my 75" 4K tv, I absolutely thought he was offsides as it happened so fast. It's wild to watch that video in slo-mo.

A play like this is a perfect example of how big of a difference pass rush can make. Minn's qb freaked out and threw that, guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 03:45 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote:

Mahones agrees
Reply/Quote
Having a DE that times the snap that closely is going to lead to some bad offsides calls. I could live with that if it weren't for TJ Twatt being offsides on just about every passing down and never getting called for it.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 04:39 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: a few thoughts:

In the youtube comments, you see people calling for reviews on stuff like this. While in this case we likely agree, can you imagine how long a football game would be if every call that was questionable (or heck, non-call) got a review? I'd only be able to drink my beer quota in the first quarter, lol.

Trey's jump on this was perfection, though. As a viewer watching it on my 75" 4K tv, I absolutely thought he was offsides as it happened so fast. It's wild to watch that video in slo-mo.

A play like this is a perfect example of how big of a difference pass rush can make. Minn's qb freaked out and threw that, guaranteed.

Offsides are challengeable in the CFL.

Our games are shorter than NFL games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The one job I’m really hoping gets replaced by AI is the officiating crews in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
They require coaches and players to sit in front of the media and answer questions. I think they should do the same thing with referees.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 04:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Having a DE that times the snap that closely is going to lead to some bad offsides calls. I could live with that if it weren't for TJ Twatt being offsides on just about every passing down and never getting called for it.

According to this site Watt has 1 more defensive offsides penalty (2) than Hendrickson (1).  

https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2023&view=total

I'm not defending Watt or officiating but as I said in other threads they play a position where it is high risk and high reward and often a second or less from penalty.  But it appears Watt has been called for it as opposed to never being called for it.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 05:49 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: According to this site Watt has 1 more defensive offsides penalty (2) than Hendrickson (1).  

https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2023&view=total

I'm not defending Watt or officiating but as I said in other threads they play a position where it is high risk and high reward and often a second or less from penalty.  But it appears Watt has been called for it. 

To look at that stat and assume they are being called evenly, you would have to throw in how many snaps the player is actually offsides. Trey usually isn't, Twatt is on almost every play.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 05:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They require coaches and players to sit in front of the media and answer questions. I think they should do the same thing with referees.

I would love to witness this.  But I don't think you could convince many folks to take the job if that were part of it.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 05:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: To look at that stat and assume they are being called evenly, you would have to throw in how many snaps the player is actually offsides. Trey usually isn't, Twatt is on almost every play.

In your obviously biased opinion. Also you do realize the lines you see on TV are usually a bit off from the actual ones the officials on the field use.  I mean you see it all the time in regards to the yellow line and announcers saying it isn't official.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
While this video is eye opening as I called Trey offside even before the refs threw the flag. This view paints a compelling pic of why he was not. I think limiting the amount of plays either team can throw the red flag for review for is the right thing. If Zac felt good about his chances here, and given how it played out, would have been worth the red flag....IF the booth had the same view as here. Plus, is there enough to overturn the actual penalty?
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 06:18 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: While this video is eye opening as I called Trey offside even before the refs threw the flag.  This view paints a compelling pic of why he was not.  I think limiting the amount of plays either team can throw the red flag for review for is the right thing.  If Zac felt good about his chances here, and given how it played out, would have been worth the red flag....IF the booth had the same view as here.  Plus, is there enough to overturn the actual penalty?

Current NFL rules do not allow using a red flag to dispute a penalty.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Yes, Pratt's pick 6 should of counted. Bogus. Mellow
Reply/Quote

In the youtube comments, you see people calling for reviews on stuff like this.  While in this case we likely agree, can you imagine how long a football game would be if every call that was questionable (or heck, non-call) got a review?  I'd only be able to drink my beer quota in the first quarter, lol.

Trey's jump on this was perfection, though.  As a viewer watching it on my 75" 4K tv, I absolutely thought he was offsides as it happened so fast.  It's wild to watch that video in slo-mo.  

A play like this is a perfect example of how big of a difference pass rush can make.  Minn's qb freaked out and threw that, guaranteed.

You'd still have a limited amount of challenges, and there aren't a lot of controversial offsides.  A penalty like this is not a judgment call, and can be legitimately reviewed in my opinion.

The stupid thing is a guy can cross the LOS and the offensive player intentionally moves, and they call a penalty on defense.  It's obvious and refs should be able to say nope.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

I rewatched it during the game and you can see he got a great jump, not off. They need to just give each coach 3 challenges per game to challenge whatever play they feel the need to challenge. I would rather a game run over by 10 mins than lose on a shitty call. This play for example wouldn’t have taken that long to review. Something has to give.
Reply/Quote
If he isn't offsides it is incredibly close. Anyone calling this a ridiculous call is really showing their bias. This is from the All-22 and as frame perfect as I can get.

[Image: yUf5XHI.png]

The ball is still on the ground and he is definitely ahead of the other linemen. The NFL definition of offsides is as follows...

Quote:A player is Offside when any part of his body or his person is in the Neutral Zone, or is beyond his free kick line, or fair catch kick line when the ball is put in play

This looks like a good call to me but man is it so close. 
Reply/Quote

In the youtube comments, you see people calling for reviews on stuff like this.  While in this case we likely agree, can you imagine how long a football game would be if every call that was questionable (or heck, non-call) got a review?  I'd only be able to drink my beer quota in the first quarter, lol.

Trey's jump on this was perfection, though.  As a viewer watching it on my 75" 4K tv, I absolutely thought he was offsides as it happened so fast.  It's wild to watch that video in slo-mo.  

A play like this is a perfect example of how big of a difference pass rush can make.  Minn's qb freaked out and threw that, guaranteed.

I don't even think it's length of play. The NFL doesn't want they're officials to be questioned at all probably for betting purposes. Remember the debacle that was reviewing pass interference penalties. Officials just refused to change the call one way or the other no matter how obvious it was. After a season of that they just changed back without ever giving it a chance.
Reply/Quote