Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trial for Ahmaud Arbery's Killers
Defense wanted a mistrial because of the protestors outside the courthouse.

Not the "New Black Panthers" are protesting.

What a crapfest.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
That recording of the officer helpfully re-explaining to Bryan what he "meant" and re-wording Bryans answers when to the questions is an odd look.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 04:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: This defense attorney is doing a great job of putting at least half the blame on Arbery.  Right down to critiquing his clothes the day he was killed and his "dirty toenails".

I mean he didn't stop and answer the questions of the three defendants and then wait quietly for the police to come!  So what if he didn't commit a crime?!?! Whatever

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 02:53 PM)GMDino Wrote:  

TIL you can justify killing a man in Gerogia if his feet are dirty.
Reply/Quote
I haven't paid attention to the trial, but on reading several stories about it, I think they fail at the get-go with the citizens arrest. It looks like you have to witness a serious crime, which there is no indication they did, so in my mind nothing else matters after that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Travis McMichael guilty on all counts.

Greg McMichael found guilty on all put the 2nd count...if I heard that right.

William Bryan not guilty on the first two counts and guilty on the rest.

Polling the jury at the request of the defendants.
Reply/Quote
Looks like another jury got it right. Based on evidence and facts, not politics.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 03:58 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Looks like another jury got it right. Based on evidence and facts, not politics.

Yeah, pretty cut and dry here. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 04:03 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, pretty cut and dry here. 

Not as familiar with this case, but the other case was pretty cut and dry as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 04:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not as familiar with this case, but the other case was pretty cut and dry as well.

I agree. Once you got past some of the popular talking points that didn't particularly matter for the legality of what happened, it was straight-forward. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Travis McMichael guilty on all counts.

Greg McMichael found guilty on all put the 2nd count...if I heard that right.

William Bryan not guilty on the first two counts and guilty on the rest.

Polling the jury at the request of the defendants.

Good news. It was the correct decision and I'm glad that the defense's alleged attempts (according to the judge) at racially selecting the jury did not bear any fruit.
Reply/Quote
I’m no legal expert but this in no way passed the smell test.

So if people attack you you can defend yourself. If you chase down someone and they fight back you cannot and still claim self-defense. . Kinda how it should be.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 04:08 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. Once you got past some of the popular talking points that didn't particularly matter for the legality of what happened, it was straight-forward. 

(11-24-2021, 04:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Good news. It was the correct decision and I'm glad that the defense's alleged attempts (according to the judge) at racially selecting the jury did not bear any fruit.

(11-24-2021, 04:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m no legal expert but this in no way passed the smell test.

So if people attack you you can defend yourself. If you chase down someone and they fight back you cannot and still claim self-defense. . Kinda how it should be.

My understanding, and again I am not very familiar with the small details of this case, is that GA law only allows for a citizen's arrest if you view the offense you're arresting for.  As that wasn't the case here, again based on my understanding, their entire defense was built on quicksand from the start.  As stated above, it's good to see people deciding cases on facts, evidence and the law rather than emotion and a desire not to provoke the mob.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 04:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My understanding, and again I am not very familiar with the small details of this case, is that GA law only allows for a citizen's arrest if you view the offense you're arresting for.  As that wasn't the case here, again based on my understanding, their entire defense was built on quicksand from the start.  As stated above, it's good to see people deciding cases on facts, evidence and the law rather than emotion and a desire not to provoke the mob.

Agree. Both jury's easily could have succumb to the pressure of protestors. It was good to see the law applied while disregarding intimidation tactics.

Reply/Quote
I'm just happy it even went to a trial.

Had McMichaels had a competent lawyer that would NOT have told him to turn over the video and had it NOT gone viral these guys would never have even been arrested.

[Image: mcmichaels.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Neat.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 06:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm just happy it even went to a trial.

Had McMichaels had a competent lawyer that would NOT have told him to turn over the video and had it NOT gone viral these guys would never have even been arrested.

[Image: mcmichaels.jpg]

I think the Mcmichael's weren't arrested initially because they had deep ties with the police department. I don't think it had anything to do with race, but with the fact that there is corruption in the branch trying to save their own (former cop).
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 05:17 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I thought I read somewhere it was an all white jury.

Well, I suppose that would count as his peers. So it's something.

Who wants to bet me it'll be a hung jury at best?

Silly Rabbit it was an all white jury. The 12th jurist was ...

[Image: clayton-bigsby-chappelle.jpg]

And you owe me $10 bucks, it was not a "hung" jury. Since there were no Black men no "hung" jury.  Ninja

P.S. People who did not see the episode of the blind black KKK member from the Chapelle show will have no idea about this posting.  Whatever  
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 09:15 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think the Mcmichael's weren't arrested initially because they had deep ties with the police department. I don't think it had anything to do with race, but with the fact that there is corruption in the branch trying to save their own (former cop).

If true that would be, well, just as bad. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 05:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agree. Both jury's easily could have succumb to the pressure of protestors. It was good to see the law applied while disregarding intimidation tactics.

This wasn't even going to go to trial until a bunch of people threw a fit about it, though.  The fact that this situation wasn't just swept under the rug is due to protests.  Doesn't this trial and the verdict exemplify how succumbing to protestors can yield what we seem to agree is the right conclusion?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if no one throws a fit about this case these guys we all seem to agree are guilty just walk away from it.
Reply/Quote