Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trivia Question: Draft Age
In 2013, the Bengals drafted Margus Hunt in the 2nd round at age 25.
Who are the next 2 oldest players drafted by the Bengals in the first 4 rounds since 2006?
Reply/Quote
Completely and blindly guessing, but:

Shipley (this one is a 100% for sure; gotta be)
Whalen
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 04:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Completely and blindly guessing, but:

Shipley (this one is a 100% for sure; gotta be)
Whalen

Wasn't Whalen like a 6th rounder?
Reply/Quote
I'd guess Caldwell, Ogbuehi, or Whitworth. Feel like they were all older, Shipley is a good guess too
Reply/Quote
Whitworth and Shipley.

This is hard haha
Reply/Quote
Gotta be Whit and Shipley. They both turned 25 during their rookie seasons.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 05:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Gotta be Whit and Shipley. They both turned 25 during their rookie seasons.

So whit must have been held back a year in school (probably for athletic reasons) and then spent 5 years at LSU.

But thanks for the ammo for the next time someone starts going off about how no team should ever draft a player as "old" as Hunt.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 05:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Gotta be Whit and Shipley. They both turned 25 during their rookie seasons.

(04-25-2016, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So whit must have been held back a year in school (probably for athletic reasons) and then spent 5 years at LSU.

But thanks for the ammo for the next time someone starts going off about how no team should ever draft a player as "old" as Hunt.

They turned 25 during their rookie years, but Margus Hunt turned 26 before his rookie year even started.

Not to mention both of them actually grew up playing football. They didn't just get by through physically dominating children as a grown man (Hunt never had more than 3 sacks until his senior year as a 25-year-old man playing against 18-21-year-old boys). They actually had football skills. The argument is against drafting someone that raw that old, not just that old.

Meanwhile Carlos Dunlap is heading into his 7th year in the NFL and only his age 27 season compared to Hunt's 4th year in the NFL and his age 29 season.

But please, keep pretending that it's not apples to oranges. We all know it's your specialty.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 06:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They turned 25 during their rookie years, but Margus Hunt turned 26 before his rookie year even started.

Not to mention both of them actually grew up playing football. They didn't just get by through physically dominating children as a grown man (Hunt never had more than 3 sacks until his senior year as a 25-year-old man playing against 18-21-year-old boys). They actually had football skills. The argument is against drafting someone that raw that old, not just that old.

Meanwhile Carlos Dunlap is heading into his 7th year in the NFL and only his age 27 season compared to Hunt's 4th year in the NFL and his age 29 season.

But please, keep pretending that it's not apples to oranges. We all know it's your specialty.

I have seen plenty of posts about age alone that have nothing to do with Hunts skill level.

But Whit was just a year younger than Hunt.  So in college he was also "physically dominating children as a grown man" just like Hunt.  Surely you are not going to claim that just one year difference in age makes that big of a difference are you?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 04:58 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Wasn't Whalen like a 6th rounder?

Gah, didn't read 4th or higher, my fault.

Picked them because they were seniors and now that I think about it, definitely NOT Whalen because he's my age and he was drafted when we were 22.

Shipley had 5 years, hence my pick of him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 06:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen plenty of posts about age alone that have nothing to do with Hunts skill level.

But Whit was just a year younger than Hunt.  So in college he was also "physically dominating children as a grown man" just like Hunt.  Surely you are not going to claim that just one year difference in age makes that big of a difference are you?

Nice job ignoring the other main point I made in proper Fred fashion that Hunt was just learning football and Whitworth grew up playing it.

A year difference in age doesn't make that big of a difference, but 7+ years of playing football more sure as hell does.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 07:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nice job ignoring the other main point I made in proper Fred fashion that Hunt was just learning football and Whitworth grew up playing it.

A year difference in age doesn't make that big of a difference, but 7+ years of playing football more sure as hell does.

So Hunt was dominating children without maxing out his ability while Whitworth was only dominating children because he had maxed out his ability?

Wouldn't that mean Hunt would be a better prospect with a higher ceiling?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 07:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nice job ignoring the other main point I made in proper Fred fashion that Hunt was just learning football and Whitworth grew up playing it.

I don't think he ever said anything about that and doesn't appear to be arguing it. All he said was that the age argument alone is invalid, which it is. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 07:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I don't think he ever said anything about that and doesn't appear to be arguing it. All he said was that the age argument alone is invalid, which it is. 

Exactly.

Whatever happened to RoyalRedlegs?  i think he was the one that said no team should ever draft anyone as old as Hunt based on age alone.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 07:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So Hunt was dominating children without maxing out his ability while Whitworth was only dominating children because he had maxed out his ability?

Wouldn't that mean Hunt would be a better prospect with a higher ceiling?

Theoretically higher, sure. Except if it takes 4 years to cover up that gap in skill, then now you have yourself a 29 or 30-year-old who just now knows how to play football skillfully, which is the time players generally start declining in physical ability (and now become more expensive because they don't have rookie contracts anymore), so it's highly likely that they'll never reach that theoretical higher ceiling.

You can take an older player who is ready to step in Day 1 (Whit and Shipley).
or
You can take a young player who isn't ready to play full time but has something they can do (Dunlap as situational passrusher).

You can't take an older player who isn't ready to play from Day 1 AND has nothing they can contribute with (Hunt). That's just a poor decision. My argument against Hunt has never been about age alone. (My argument against Brandon Weeden admittedly was though. Dude's heading into his 5th year this year and is going into his age 33 season. That's crazy.)

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 04:17 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: In 2013, the Bengals drafted Margus Hunt in the 2nd round at age 25.
Who are the next 2 oldest players drafted by the Bengals in the first 4 rounds since 2006?

I was going to say Bernard Scott, but he was a 6th rounder. I'll say Dalton and apparently Whitworth.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
For those who want to know the website I based my answers off of (that I am not listing :|):
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/25/11490236/bengals-tend-to-draft-young-players-in-round-1-of-nfl-draft
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 11:28 AM)CoCoNuT Wrote: For those who want to know the website I based my answers off of (that I am not listing :|):
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/25/11490236/bengals-tend-to-draft-young-players-in-round-1-of-nfl-draft

Interesting read.

I do wish that the NFL/NFL writers would just go ahead and adopt the MLB standage of "** age season" rather than just static age. It's part of the reason why I like profootballreference, because they use the practice. MLB uses June 30th as their cutoff date, they use December 31st as the NFL's.

So while in that article they have Dalton as 23, his rookie season was his age 24 season. Whit is listed as 24, but his rookie season was his age 25 season. On the other hand, Carlos Dunlap is listed at 21, and his rookie season was indeed his age 21 season.

Reply/Quote