Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
True depth of our coaching staff will be tested
(03-24-2022, 12:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nobody with any opinion on weather Zac and the staff are up for the challenges ahead?

I think they were still learning on the job last year early (and protecting Joe's knee) while they figured out the talent they had and how to best utilize it.  One thing this coaching staff seems incredibly adept at is self-scouting.  

That is one of the most underrated characteristics of people in coaching, and life in general. 

Odd sidebar:  The "Know Thyself" podcast (has a picture of a lion head in the sun, so you know you have the right one) is incredible...

I also believe the staff REALLY hit their stride last year on defense in terms of how to match up against certain opponents.  They were BETTER the second time they faced pitt and baltimore (I know, I know..injuries).

The offense might have struggled down the stretch, but I view that as a causal relationship to the offensive line facing really tough defensive fronts in the postseason.  They knew this, and have spent the offseason making it their #1 priority.  I am so excited to see what the offense can look like next year.

The defense could be top 5 if they can add a penetrating 3T to rotate with Hill and get good production from the likes of Ossai and Khalid Kareem.

I love that they added an additional offensive line coach that will largely (reportedly) be there to develop guys behind the starters.  

Simply put, this coaching staff has earned my trust by showing a rapid and stellar improvement with just a few key pieces added to the roster.  Things like in-game adjustments, play calling, aggression (analytics without being stupid)....all those things are pointing in the right direction.

And like the team itself, and the city, they got a taste of success and I think it will only make them hungry for more. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is something that I feel often goes overlooked around here, the amount of input that Zac has with regard to personnel and scouting decisions.  I remember back when he was hired, the common thought was that with a rookie coach, it was back to the old days as far as the front office dictating the roster decision.  Obviously, that is not the case, and Zac indeed has been able to have significant influence over personnel and scouting.  As far as crafting a winning culture?  It was off to a slow start, but has gained massive traction throughout the team.

My buddy and I have discussed this about ZT and we both agree that he couldn't come in year 1 and blow out the likes of AJ Green, Geno, Dunlap...he had to see which players from the "old guard" could buy in and be team-first guys and learn a new way of doing things.

Clearly, there was massive push back from Dunlap, who became a cancer when he was demoted and asked to adapt his style of play.  Geno and AJ were quiet, but their play dramatically dropped off from where AJ was before injury and Geno was trying to fight through an injury himself.

I didn't start this message to fire up any defenders of those players, but it seems to me, on the outside looking in, that when the last of the old guard was gone, the chemistry improved and the team took off.  I understand why it took two seasons for ZT to get "his roster" and then it took about half a season for them to gel...but gel they did and they were playing as well as any team down the stretch and in the playoffs.  

It was EXACTLY what a lot of us hoped would happen...a young team gets a good start, and gains confidence, hits some adversity and then overcomes it and is flying to the finish line.  It was just so fricking cool to watch.  
Reply/Quote
It is a correct assumption that the Bengals will not sneak up on anybody this year.

But they were tested in some knock down drag out bloodbaths last year against some very good NFL teams and figured ways to win WHEN IT COUNTED the most. Was only some blocking away from winning SB too and they added that piece of the puzzle.

Sometimes its not the Jimmy's but the Joe's that one has on roster, and Zac has the Joe's, pun intended.

Yet the AFC is so loaded this year and I can not put making the SB as the only way to prove himself. Expecting it or a valiant effort though.

With the masterful offseason moves Zac has made, his change of culture and not to mention those incredible halftime adjustments he and the coaches made earned them the benefit of doubt from me.

Plus getting the Bengals front office to actually make all these FA moves tells me Zac could sell sand in the desert and be successful. Had all the players bought in as well, even when the fans were in full revolt mode.

Yep I believe !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 12:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nobody with any opinion on weather Zac and the staff are up for the challenges ahead?

I hear what you are saying, but hard to have legit concerns when ZT and coaching staff took a team to the Super Bowl. Yes, they peaked at right time, but don't forget our OL was one of the worst in the NFL and won't be in 2022. Also Joe B. was coming off major knee surgery and was not 100% until late in the season (when they started peaking).

Some say we won a lot of close games, well we alos lost 2 OT games to a very good Green Bay team and a very good SF team. We bear KC, Ravens and Steelers 2x. 

I think the Bengals coaching staff proved they can adjust and work with an inferior product (OL). Games are won in the trenches and the DL was great against the run and showed we can get to the QB too.  The OL was not good as we all know. I don't think they are done yet, but the 2022 OL is made of glass eaters Pollack wants some I am confident our offense and a healthy all year Joe B. will take positive strides.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 09:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear what you are saying, but hard to have legit concerns when ZT and coaching staff took a team to the Super Bowl. Yes, they peaked at right time, but don't forget our OL was one of the worst in the NFL and won't be in 2022. Also Joe B. was coming off major knee surgery and was not 100% until late in the season (when they started peaking).

Some say we won a lot of close games, well we alos lost 2 OT games to a very good Green Bay team and a very good SF team. We bear KC, Ravens and Steelers 2x. 

I think the Bengals coaching staff proved they can adjust and work with an inferior product (OL). Games are won in the trenches and the DL was great against the run and showed we can get to the QB too.  The OL was not good as we all know. I don't think they are done yet, but the 2022 OL is made of glass eaters Pollack wants some I am confident our offense and a healthy all year Joe B. will take positive strides.

Now it's time to do it under pressure, with a target on their back, as in prove last year wasn't a fluke.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Clearly more talent this year but we are also likely to have more injuries.

Also replacing 3 last place teams on our schedule with 3 division champions.

Our coaches will be tested.

Absolutely true.  Last season was the best we've had in a long time in regards to injuries.  I consider a teams health the most important aspect in the second half of the year.  The healthiest teams are in the best place to succeed even if they aren't the best.
Reply/Quote
I’ve seen slow improvement from Taylor. He still makes questionable calls here and there—and sometimes in big moments. I’m hoping to see some improvement this year. Still haven’t made my mind up on him as I view him as a work in progress that is learning on the job. I will say that with this roster his job should be relatively easy—but obviously the afc is much better and will present challenges. I would like to see him exploit/attack weaknesses better and overcome other teams strengths better this year. But when it comes down to it I see Burrow taking over more control of the offense and having an mvp season this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 10:55 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I’ve seen slow improvement from Taylor. He still makes questionable calls here and there—and sometimes in big moments. I’m hoping to see some improvement this year. Still haven’t made my mind up on him as I view him as a work in progress that is learning on the job. I will say that with this roster his job should be relatively easy—but obviously the afc is much better and will present challenges. I would like to see him exploit/attack weaknesses better and overcome other teams strengths better this year. But when it comes down to it I see Burrow taking over more control of the offense and having an mvp season this year.

Well hopefully he’s arrived as a head coach. I suppose you are really talking his game day coaching. Everything else has been stellar. The Brown’s must be impressed with something. They doubled his salary and extended his contract to 5 years. But he was near the bottom. But with McVay almost going to the booth the Rams owner was ready to pounce on him with McVay’s glowing recommendation. The day after the Super Bowl Mike Brown got it immediately done.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 10:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now it's time to do it under pressure, with a target on their back, as in prove last year wasn't a fluke.

As a former athlete who was on a National Championship amateur baseball team and coached an amateur soccer team that played in 3 National championships, won 1 and a second in another I never looked at it as we have something to prove to anyone. We were confident and gained confidence we could compete with anyone, but we did not rest with the current roster, we improved it every year to insure we could compete.

I think fans get hung up on other fans or the media's categorizing them. The players and coaches on the other hand know they earned it by the sweat and effort they put in to get there. We lost the SB and that is as strong motivation to get back and win it all.

I see them doing the same as they did in 2021, one game at a time, then analyze and fix weaknesses and utilize strengths as the season progresses.

Just my 2 cents
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I feel like we are an exact mirror of the Steelers. Zac and Tomlin are not the best tacticians, but they are inspirational and well liked. Duke and Colbert were good at drafting certain positions and horrible at others (we sucked at drafting OL, they suck at drafting DBs). But overall, they built talented very rosters. Steeler fans sometimes say that it's Tomlin's assistants that make them look good more so than the coach, except for last year. So I guess we both have winning teams mostly due to average coaches, surrounded by good assistant, and amazing GMs.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 11:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As a former athlete who was on a National Championship amateur baseball team and coached an amateur soccer team that played in 3 National championships, won 1 and a second in another I never looked at it as we have something to prove to anyone. We were confident and gained confidence we could compete with anyone, but we did not rest with the current roster, we improved it every year to insure we could compete.

I think fans get hung up on other fans or the media's categorizing them. The players and coaches on the other hand know they earned it by the sweat and effort they put in to get there. We lost the SB and that is as strong motivation to get back and win it all.

I see them doing the same as they did in 2021, one game at a time, then analyze and fix weaknesses and utilize strengths as the season progresses.

Just my 2 cents

With this conference winning the AFC Championship won’t be easy. We won a lot of late games barely, the Raiders, Tenn, KC. They could have gone either way. But we won them so I’m going to call it fortunate not lucky.

As others have mentioned injuries a key … but all teams must deal with it in a 17 game plus season. I’ve already mentioned this but self evaluation and identifying their weaknesses on the field and in the booth so to speak to correct those is important. Among them red zone offense, short yardage, and third down conversion (#15) and red zone TD’s (#23). Of course the poor OL contributed to both.

The second part is anticipating how teams will choose to defend you offensively this next season. A former HOF college coach told me once that the key on game day is to be prepared and have had anticipated how a team is going to defend you and have an answer. I think this is a strength of this staff. So before the season that’s also true. You’d have to expect that teams will take Chase away. I think Hurst helps here.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 11:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:
As a former athlete who was on a National Championship amateur baseball team and coached an amateur soccer team that played in 3 National championships, won 1 and a second in another I never looked at it as we have something to prove to anyone.
We were confident and gained confidence we could compete with anyone, but we did not rest with the current roster, we improved it every year to insure we could compete.

Just my 2 cents

Damn son, with all of that winning you've experienced in your life, I'd think that you'd be a Smackologist by now.  How in the hell are you going to let all of those Steeler fans pwn you in Smack Talk all these years??   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 11:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As a former athlete who was on a National Championship amateur baseball team and coached an amateur soccer team that played in 3 National championships, won 1 and a second in another I never looked at it as we have something to prove to anyone. We were confident and gained confidence we could compete with anyone, but we did not rest with the current roster, we improved it every year to insure we could compete.

Just my 2 cents

I see the same. Nice post Luvnit as I didn't know that about you man. Cool stuff. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 08:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think they were still learning on the job last year early (and protecting Joe's knee) while they figured out the talent they had and how to best utilize it.  One thing this coaching staff seems incredibly adept at is self-scouting.  

That is one of the most underrated characteristics of people in coaching, and life in general. 

Odd sidebar:  The "Know Thyself" podcast (has a picture of a lion head in the sun, so you know you have the right one) is incredible...

I also believe the staff REALLY hit their stride last year on defense in terms of how to match up against certain opponents.  They were BETTER the second time they faced pitt and baltimore (I know, I know..injuries).

The offense might have struggled down the stretch, but I view that as a causal relationship to the offensive line facing really tough defensive fronts in the postseason.  They knew this, and have spent the offseason making it their #1 priority.  I am so excited to see what the offense can look like next year.

The defense could be top 5 if they can add a penetrating 3T to rotate with Hill and get good production from the likes of Ossai and Khalid Kareem.

I love that they added an additional offensive line coach that will largely (reportedly) be there to develop guys behind the starters.  

Simply put, this coaching staff has earned my trust by showing a rapid and stellar improvement with just a few key pieces added to the roster.  Things like in-game adjustments, play calling, aggression (analytics without being stupid)....all those things are pointing in the right direction.

And like the team itself, and the city, they got a taste of success and I think it will only make them hungry for more. 

Just a good post overall.

The coaching staff grew as the season went along and used what they had better.  It is amazing what they (especially Joe - but coaching as well) were able to do with that offensive line.   I also like your comment on using "analytics without being stupid"  They do indeed point in the right direction

And the fact that they beat teams that they had beat before (Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas and Kansas City) was extraordinary.   I think they had planned adjustments for the 2nd half which they did not reveal in the first half.   If I'm their competition I'm doing the same back.  So I feel they are going to have to have a planned adjustment to that as well as showing an ability to do better with rapid in-game adjustments.

I hope they do a great job of analyzing what they did wrong and coming up with non-obvious adjustments.

It seems that they've grown in their roles - both as being given more control over personnel and coaching logistics.   If they can really improve on the latter I think we could have a great year.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 11:43 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well hopefully he’s arrived as a head coach. I suppose you are really talking his game day coaching. Everything else has been stellar. The Brown’s must be impressed with something. They doubled his salary and extended his contract to 5 years. But he was near the bottom. But with McVay almost going to the booth the Rams owner was ready to pounce on him with McVay’s glowing recommendation. The day after the Super Bowl Mike Brown got it immediately done.

Yeah I think he's done a great job in terms of selecting the right players to bring in, and developing team chemistry. I know people will say that it's Tobin that makes all the player decisions, but real fans know that the coaches have a huge input on this with the Bengals. Marv had a large input and so does Taylor (and his entire coaching staff). He's brought in leaders and high character guys with something to offer in terms of their talent and work ethic. The culture he has helped build is amazing.

The areas he's struggled are when it comes to X's and O's, scheming, game management, etc. This is where he's improved, and will need to improve further in my mind to be considered in the upper echelon of coaches. He's got a great growth mindset and that will benefit him. I hope to see him continue to learn and improve. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 04:19 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah I think he's done a great job in terms of selecting the right players to bring in, and developing team chemistry. I know people will say that it's Tobin that makes all the player decisions, but real fans know that the coaches have a huge input on this with the Bengals. Marv had a large input and so does Taylor (and his entire coaching staff). He's brought in leaders and high character guys with something to offer in terms of their talent and work ethic. The culture he has helped build is amazing.

The areas he's struggled are when it comes to X's and O's, scheming, game management, etc. This is where he's improved, and will need to improve further in my mind to be considered in the upper echelon of coaches. He's got a great growth mindset and that will benefit him. I hope to see him continue to learn and improve. 

Scheming he’s doing excellent. Mike Zimmer said so. I know a NFL head coach and AFC OC and both seem impressed with what he’s doing on offense. Their points per play are strong. This year we should find out how much the poor OL is handicapping him. A retired college HOF coach that I know and knows him says it has. But Taylor is no different than Belichick at 38. Except Taylor got to the Super Bowl sooner and had a much quicker turnaround.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After a surprising run to the Superbowl, and nearly pulling off a championship, nobody is going to be surprised by the Bengals in 2022.  We all know that the physical talent is there, the OL has been rebuilt, and save for a couple of additions at CB and perhaps DT the defense is good to go.  However, the kicker is that many other AFC teams also have loaded up and improved their rosters this offseason.  Buffalo, LA Chargers, and now possibly the Dolphins all look to be "scary" good as well.

What the 2022 season is going to come down to is the ability of Zac Taylor and his coordinators to continually keep coming up with diverse game plans with diverse play calling on offense and masterful schemes on defense.  With such a high level of talent amassed in the AFC this season, it's going to come down to smart decisions and adjustments in real time this season.
Actually I believe it will come down to health, the healthiest team in AFC will have the best  chance, ZT out coacjmhed two solid coaches in playoffs but we will very healthy also which was key.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 08:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Somehow I feel like the Bills were already really close to being able to get over the top, and now they are looking to me to be the team to beat in the AFC.  The Chargers are also building something special out there.  On Miami, I feel like you're right.  It will likely all blow up in their faces.

I agree the Bills looked strong last year kind of glad we did not play them. They would of been a tough team to beat as well as I have liked the Bill's since they donated to Dalton's foundation and they started picking up a lot of our old players.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 07:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Scheming he’s doing excellent. Mike Zimmer said so. I know a NFL head coach and AFC OC and both seem impressed with what he’s doing on offense. Their points per play are strong. This year we should find out how much the poor OL is handicapping him. A retired college HOF coach that I know and knows him says it has. But Taylor is no different than Belichick at 38. Except Taylor got to the Super Bowl sooner and had a much quicker turnaround.

There are games where he has failed to attack the defense’s weakness—like the bears game for instance. There are also crucial situations like in the super bowl where he calls predictable plays that get blown up. He has a tendency to run his offense no matter who he’s playing against—without changing the game plan to cater to the specific opponent’s strengths and weaknesses. Yes the oline makes it very difficult because you don’t want burrow to get killed back there, and it’s hard to muster up a run game. But the major area I think he should improve is predictability. it’s easy to tell a pass from a run by formation alone. He needs to do a better job of attacking the weakness and keeping the defense off balance. It makes it incredibly hard to defend an offense when you think they are doing one thing and they do the opposite. Also every pass play should have a shallow route like a slant or cross as a quick outlet in case of pressure.

Don’t get me wrong, we definitely improved and had a good year. Taylor showed signs of improving as a coach for sure. But there are definitely areas he can improve on. I think the oline improving and the overall talent on offense should make his job easy this year.

Burrow can improve as well and I think he will behind an improved oline. I thought this year he didn’t go through his progressions as quickly and didn’t see open receivers—sometimes staring down his hot receivers and missing the wide open back. With more time to throw and more experience I think he will be much sharper.
Reply/Quote
If KC can't beat us with Tyreek, the dolphins sure aren't

Our new oline neutralizs buffalo's moves.
Reply/Quote