Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Trump Announces Presidential Bid for 2024
Trump has officially announced that he will be running again in 2024. This was widely expected. Curious to know thoughts. Personally, if I was a conservative, I wouldn't be too thrilled about this. In my opinion, he has proven himself to be rat poison for the GOP and I think is one of the only candidates that would likely lose to Biden in '24.
Reply/Quote
I think Trump would lose to ANY Democrat who ran against him. Hell, Liz Cheney could run as a Democrat and win. With 2 years of revenge politics coming out of the House of Representatives and a toxic Trump candidacy, in Nov of 2024, you can stick a fork in the GOP, they will be dead.

Odds are, though, if he isn't in jail, he will win the nomination, especially if it is a crowded field. A one-on-one opponent might have a chance against him but his 30% will vote for him regardless ( and in spite of) any allegations of corruption and insurrection, so in a crowded field he will win the nomination with a plurality of the primary vote just like in 2016. To the detriment of the party

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I think he loses the nomination to DeSantis then spins out a 3rd party, or at least threatens to in order to keep siphoning money from folks, creating other issues for the Republican party. From the Republican standpoint they either all need to fall in line behind Trump again and fight an uphill battle or they need to cooperate to get him in jail. The worst possible outcome really is DeSantis getting the nomination and Trump running around being a sideshow the whole time and splitting the base.
Reply/Quote
I can see DeSantis saying he's needed in Florida and waiting until 2028 to run, especially if Trump's zeal to ruin him in the primaries or possibility of running as a 3rd party and screwing over the GOP primary winner has merit.  Then again, Trump is probably going to run for president until he gets a 2nd term or until he dies, so if Trump doesn't win 2024 he might just declare for 2028, too.  The guy is like a cockroach, or the killer in a horror movie.  The first few times he's done for you kind of buy it, but then there is yet another sequel where he is magically alive again and wrecking havoc and he's only killed when people completely tune out.

If Trump is going to run, run 3rd party, or otherwise make a path to the white house as easy as possible for the democrats I sincerely hope an 82 year old Biden isn't their go-to guy.  If I'm a dem strategist I would point out that 1 term of an 82 year old Biden and an unpopular Harris would pale in comparison to handing the mantle to someone like Mark Kelly and having the chance to win in 2024 and face DeSantis in 2028 as an incumbent.  

Biden graciously passing the baton to moderate democrat and veteran and astronaut from a swing state rather than pulling a pseudo-Trump and running yet again against the wishes of the majority of his party seems like a wise plan, right?  Ugh, if it's Biden vs Trump in 2024 I just...I can't find a fun way to end this sentence. 

HOT TAKE - Both political parties want Trump in jail now, so he might actually be held accountable for one of the zillion illegal things he's done.

I just had to reiterate that this country is looking at

2016 - Trump vs Hillary
2020 - Trump vs Biden
2024 - Trump vs Biden

Blargh, come on America.  Biden needs to pull a Truman and read the writing on the wall.  We can't have both political parties put unpopular 80 year olds on the ballot, can we?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 10:12 AM)Nately120 Wrote:  ...I sincerely hope an 82 year old Biden isn't their go-to guy.  If I'm a dem strategist I would point out that 1 term of an 82 year old Biden and an unpopular Harris 

I agree. It likely won't happen, but I am a fan of Mark Kelly. He would be a great moderate selection that both sides are able to get on board with. Retired military, former astronaut and has favorable positions such as pro-choice, police reform (not defund), healthcare reform, and others. The big thing against him is that he won't have enough experience to run in 2024, unfortunately. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 10:31 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. It likely won't happen, but I am a fan of Mark Kelly. He would be a great moderate selection that both sides are able to get on board with. Retired military, former astronaut and has favorable positions such as pro-choice, police reform (not defund), healthcare reform, and others. The big thing against him is that he won't have enough experience to run in 2024, unfortunately. 

I know you are saying this without agreeing with the premise, but we both know Trump is likely going to be running with MTG or some celebrity as his VP.  Then again, democrats gonna democrat.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 10:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I know you are saying this without agreeing with the premise, but we both know Trump is likely going to be running with MTG or some celebrity as his VP.  Then again, democrats gonna democrat.

Well, you know, fair. I guess I would prefer someone with more government experience, but that doesn't necessarily preclude him...
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 10:38 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Well, you know, fair. I guess I would prefer someone with more government experience, but that doesn't necessarily preclude him...

I think his resume beats what a long-term politician would have been up to for all those years, plus he's won two elections in a state that the democrats pried from GOP control.  He's fresh of the dismantling of a Trump-style clone, too.

He's electable and he's not a career politician.  Personally, I mostly want to see Trump attempt to spin that a veteran and astronaut who is almost 20 years younger than him is a demented and unhinged moron.  He'll find a way to convince his hardcore supporters of it for sure, though.

As far as the GOP goes, I do see this as being a Trump nomination without much resistance.  Trump and DeSantis are both bullies, but DeSantis seems more like the type to only pick fights he knows he can win.  Trump is the kind of bully who legit thinks he can't lose but as soon as he starts a fight and loses he gets his powerful and connected allies to interfere and "win" for him in the end.  Go ahead and beat him up, but his dad's a lawyer who golfs with the local judge and sheriff.  

Ripoff Ron might not want to tango.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 10:31 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Retired military, former astronaut and has favorable positions such as pro-choice, police reform (not defund), healthcare reform, and others. The big thing against him is that he won't have enough experience to run in 2024, unfortunately. 

Sounds like a reasonable candidate. As for not having enough experience, does that even matter anymore? Obama didn't have a lot of experience and neither did Trump. I think as long as he's reasonable (which would be refreshing for once) and not an asshole he has a chance.

(11-16-2022, 10:47 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ripoff Ron might not want to tango.

Ripoff Ron? You sound like Hannity. Please don't be a Hannity.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 11:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sounds like a reasonable candidate. As for not having enough experience, does that even matter anymore? Obama didn't have a lot of experience and neither did Trump. I think as long as he's reasonable (which would be refreshing for once) and not an asshole he has a chance.

Ripoff Ron? You sound like Hannity. Please don't be a Hannity.

I'm going to rep you for your support of Mark Kelly, not so much for comparing me to Sean Hannity, though that is funny.

Ripoff Ron
One-n-Done Don
Jumbled Joe
So Unpopular She Doesn't Need a Nickname Kamala

Also, has Hannity called DeSantis ripoff Ron?  I think that's a lot better than Ron DeSanctimonious, but no one ever said Trump knew how to sell a notion.
Reply/Quote
Let's just amend the constitution to say you can only serve two terms and they have to be consecutive.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 11:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm going to rep you for your support of Mark Kelly, not so much for comparing me to Sean Hannity, though that is funny.

Ripoff Ron
One-n-Done Don
Jumbled Joe
So Unpopular She Doesn't Need a Nickname Kamala

Also, has Hannity called DeSantis ripoff Ron?  I think that's a lot better than Ron DeSanctimonious, but no one ever said Trump knew how to sell a notion.

I don't have a clue who Mark Kelly is or what he's about but considering what Goose mentioned about him I thought were admiral traits. As for Hannity, I don't listen to him. I used to but I just can't stomach his show. All he does is hurl nickname insults and repeats the same bullshit over and over. Every broadcast is the same as the last. 

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 11:41 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't have a clue who Mark Kelly is or what he's about but considering what Goose mentioned about him I thought were admiral traits. As for Hannity, I don't listen to him. I used to but I just can't stomach his show. All he does is hurl nickname insults and repeats the same bullshit over and over. Every broadcast is the same as the last. 

Well, I mostly come up with stupid nicknames for people due to my zeal for professional wrestling-style bloviating.

Magnificent Mark Kelly VS One-N-Done Dumped Trump?  No contest, brother!

I'm mostly trying to cope with the prospect of a second Biden or Trump term.  It's not even terribly amusing anymore. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 10:31 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. It likely won't happen, but I am a fan of Mark Kelly. He would be a great moderate selection that both sides are able to get on board with. Retired military, former astronaut and has favorable positions such as pro-choice, police reform (not defund), healthcare reform, and others. The big thing against him is that he won't have enough experience to run in 2024, unfortunately. 

and the orange virus had experience in 2016? If Kelly can get some momentum why the F not? 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 11:50 AM)kalibengal Wrote: and the orange virus had experience in 2016? If Kelly can get some momentum why the F not? 

The guy won 2 elections in AZ.  Anything more than that and he's going to be a reprehensible "career politician."
Reply/Quote
Great news for Democrats. Especially if Desantis decides to just avoid the inevitable shit show that would be running against Trump.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 11:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, I mostly come up with stupid nicknames for people due to my zeal for professional wrestling-style bloviating.

Magnificent Mark Kelly VS One-N-Done Dumped Trump?  No contest, brother!

I'm mostly trying to cope with the prospect of a second Biden or Trump term.  It's not even terribly amusing anymore. 

Well, I guess that makes more sense. I really wasnt poking at you I was just trying to be funny. 

Reply/Quote
[Image: FhscAc8X0AEXKfC?format=jpg&name=medium]

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 11:41 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't have a clue who Mark Kelly is or what he's about but considering what Goose mentioned about him I thought were admiral traits. As for Hannity, I don't listen to him. I used to but I just can't stomach his show. All he does is hurl nickname insults and repeats the same bullshit over and over. Every broadcast is the same as the last. 

I really don't don't much about Mark Kelly either.  I do know that he is Gabby Giffords husband.  
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 12:22 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I really don't don't much about Mark Kelly either.  I do know that he is Gabby Giffords husband.  

I brought him up mostly because he ticks a lot of those "electable" boxes, and it seems possible and logical that the dems could use their 2022 wins to transition to some new faces who have noted success.  Also, if you are a democrat and the GOP is supposedly handing you the WH, wouldn't you rather put someone in there who can run for a second term?

Something like this seems like a no-brainer to me (insert Biden or Trump joke here).  If Trump running is really the GOP-killer the left wants it to be, why not try to lock down the WH for the next 8 years?  If DeSantis runs in 2028 they're going to need someone who isn't Biden to go against him anyways.

The bitter humor of democrats responding to the GOP blunder of putting an unpopular former president who is around 80 years old on the 2024 ticket against the wishes of the majority of the party by sticking with Biden is fitting, though.

Also, 82-86 year old Biden vs 78-82 year old Trump would legimately be an election where the VPs could logically be expected to have to take over at any given point.  Are we ready for a pseudo matchup of Heartbeat Away from Harris VS Heartbeat Away from MTG?
Reply/Quote