Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Claims Responsibility for Gulf Crisis
The pretext is that Qatar is a "supporter of terrorism" and too cozy with Iran.

As a one-time resident of Qatar who still knows many people there, this one hits close to home. As I write, supermarkets are emptying of food. Iran is offering relief. The largest US base in the region is in Qatar, and until yesterday was one of the US' closest allies in the region. Sec. of Defense says this will not affect US operations in the region--But how could it not?? Both Defense and State are in full damage control mode.

What I find personally astounding is not only that Trump is taking credit for the crisis, but that it is driven by Saudi Arabia, the largest funding source of Sunni extremism in the last 40 years.

"Middle East freezes out Qatar: What you need to know"
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/middleeast/qatar-middle-east-diplomatic-freeze/index.html
CNNIt's the biggest political crisis to hit the Middle East in years.
Qatari nationals are now officially on notice to leave neighboring countries within two weeks after an unprecedented diplomatic freeze of the nation by key allies and neighbors.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Bahrain, Yemen and the Maldives said that from Tuesday they are indefinitely severing ties with Qatar --- a country of nearly 2.3 million people, mostly foreign workers.

Saudi Arabia has severed all land, sea and air links with Qatar, and the UAE has closed its airports and harbors to Qatari flights and shipping.
Etihad, Emirates, Fly Dubai and Gulf Air have halted all flights in and out of Doha, the Qatari capital. Qatar Airways says it's halting flights to Saudi Arabia.
Qatari diplomats have been given notice to leave their foreign posts.
Qatari citizens have been told they have 14 days to leave Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the UAE, and those countries also banned their own citizens from entering Qatar.

"Foreign Relations chairman stunned by Trump's Qatar tweets"
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/336557-foreign-relations-chairman-stunned-silenced-by-trumps-qatar-tweets

Qatar row: Trump claims credit for isolation
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40175935
"During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar - look!" Mr Trump tweeted on Tuesday.

He later tweeted: "So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding... extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Qatar is a shitty country. If it weren't for the fact they allow so many US troops there as a base, I doubt we would want them as our ally.

Since they were "awarded" (bribed their way to) the World Cup, hundreds of migrant workers per year have died building their stadiums since 2010, and we're just a little over half way through. They lure in migrant workers with promises of well paying jobs with good housing accommodations... and then will take their passports, housing them in shitty communal rooms with 20 people, working long hours in dangerous workplaces and constant 100+ degree temperatures with crappy pay. But they can't leave without an "exit visa".

There's a lot on it around the internet if you look it up. It was a pretty big story a couple years ago.

(Keep in mind London and Vancouver each had 1 death in the construction of their stadiums for the World Cup. South Africa had 2.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I was wondering how you felt about this subject, Dill, knowing how much time you spent there.

So nice of the Sunni World to throw one of their own under the bus to appease Trump.

Unfortunately, that "one of their own" wasn't the leading sponsor of terrorists world wide: Saudi Arabia.

But, what the heck. They are our buddies, right?

ThumbsUp

"Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!" - Trump

For some reason, this reminds me of:

[Image: munich-agreement-2.jpg]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
I take it Trump doesn't have any business interests or investments in Qatar? Like the countries on his travel ban list.

After all, rule #1 for his foreign policy is it cant hurt the Trump empire.
It's a part of the deal he made with the saudis who were responsible for the 9/11 much more than the iraqis ...

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Who was it on the board here that was suspect of Qatar, when asked clock-boy to move there ?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(06-06-2017, 06:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Qatar is a shitty country. If it weren't for the fact they allow so many US troops there as a base, I doubt we would want them as our ally.

Since they were "awarded" (bribed their way to) the World Cup, hundreds of migrant workers per year have died building their stadiums since 2010, and we're just a little over half way through. They lure in migrant workers with promises of well paying jobs with good housing accommodations... and then will take their passports, housing them in shitty communal rooms with 20 people, working long hours in dangerous workplaces and constant 100+ degree temperatures with crappy pay. But they can't leave without an "exit visa".

There's a lot on it around the internet if you look it up. It was a pretty big story a couple years ago.

(Keep in mind London and Vancouver each had 1 death in the construction of their stadiums for the World Cup. South Africa had 2.)

I appreciate the response, Leonard. As someone who held a work visa in Qatar for five years and found out about the exit visa the hard way, someone who is familiar with the labor system from inside, top to bottom, I am not going to defend it. I add that in 2012 I was barred from entering the country for two years for failing to cancel my visa when leaving.

It should be said, nevertheless, that in addition to being a staunch ally Qatar is certainly the most progressive of the Arab Gulf states.
Conservatives don't like progressive politics in the US, but they do demand it in Arab states. As in every country, including the US, there is a political struggle over labor/human rights, and money generally (not always) obstructs progress. In 2010, it looked like the country had really turned the corner on labor abuses, as pressure from within and without resulted in considerable money channeled into ultra modern workers cities outside Doha and Al Wakra. The awarding of the cup has upended that. 

(Based on personal experience of the summer heat there, I also predict a disastrous World Cup. Americans and Europeans have no idea what 120 degree heat is like, day after day, with the occasional spike to 135, and with 90 degree humidity. Even if they can manage stadium temperatures this will be a shock, especially to children and elderly.)

The US presence in Qatar also exerts some progressive pressure. And it is good for both parties, providing US with a sizable "aircraft carrier" in the Gulf, flying strikes on both the Taliban and ISIS. The US presence has also been a deterrent to Iran.

Which brings me to the central concern here. It is not "poor Qatar" we should be worried about so much as the architecture of US diplomacy in the region, which was managing some of the region's conflicts with moderate success, but which seems at risk now because the current administration has set in motion forces it cannot control.
(06-06-2017, 06:27 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I was wondering how you felt about this subject, Dill, knowing how much time you spent there.

So nice of the Sunni World to throw one of their own under the bus to appease Trump.

Unfortunately, that "one of their own" wasn't the leading sponsor of terrorists world wide: Saudi Arabia.

But, what the heck. They are our buddies, right?

ThumbsUpRu

Well, I am still not quite sure what is going on. The crisis appears to have been precipitated by a Russian FAKE NEWS attack--not Trump's definition of fake news, but the one accepted by responsible journalists: totally false content presented to fool people. It appears Russia hacked a state website and attributed to the Emir statements encouraging to Iran. ("US Suspects Russian hackers planted fake news behind Qatar crisis":
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-qatar-crisis/index.html)

Qatar is Russia's #1 competitor in the natural gas market, and Qatari officials beat up a Russian diplomat at the Doha airport in 2011, supposedly over Russia's block of a pipeline to Europe through Syria. This conflict strengthens Russia by weakening US credibility and influence.

Qatar is also a thorn in Saudi Arabia's side, since it is so much more progressive, the home of AlJazeera, has often contested Saudi Leadership in the last decade of Middle East conflicts.  Their support of the Muslim Brotherhood (which is not a terrorist group in my view) angers the Saudis, who themselves funded the brotherhood until they started complaining the Saud family was too corrupt to be stewards of Mecca and Medina. There was even a military clash between the two countries in Qatar's southern desert back in the '90s, though almost nothing is known about the cause or the outcome.

Still, even the hack does not explain the sudden embargo by six nations. I suspect the Saudis perceive a vacuum of US power here and are trying to fill it. Qatar is the richest country in the world per capita, a real prize for whomever can control its gas. I don't know if you have been following Saudi foreign policy, but it is stupid and aggressive. They know a great deal about managing the world oil market, but military power is another story. I disagreed with Obama and Bush's cooperation with them in Yemen. Now Trump has stimulated who knows what dreams of regional power in their minds.

A fake news attack should make this all easy to walk back, but the Saudis don't seem to want that.
Here's a decent article on the subject. https://www.rbth.com/international/2017/06/06/will-russia-come-to-qatars-defense_777740
(06-06-2017, 05:50 PM)Dill Wrote: The pretext is that Qatar is a "supporter of terrorism" and too cozy with Iran.

As a one-time resident of Qatar who still knows many people there, this one hits close to home. As I write, supermarkets are emptying of food. Iran is offering relief. The largest US base in the region is in Qatar, and until yesterday was one of the US' closest allies in the region.  Sec. of Defense says this will not affect US operations in the region--But how could it not?? Both Defense and State are in full damage control mode.

What I find personally astounding is not only that Trump is taking credit for the crisis, but that it is driven by Saudi Arabia, the largest funding source of Sunni extremism in the last 40 years.

"Middle East freezes out Qatar: What you need to know"
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/middleeast/qatar-middle-east-diplomatic-freeze/index.html
CNNIt's the biggest political crisis to hit the Middle East in years.
Qatari nationals are now officially on notice to leave neighboring countries within two weeks after an unprecedented diplomatic freeze of the nation by key allies and neighbors.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Bahrain, Yemen and the Maldives said that from Tuesday they are indefinitely severing ties with Qatar --- a country of nearly 2.3 million people, mostly foreign workers.

Saudi Arabia has severed all land, sea and air links with Qatar, and the UAE has closed its airports and harbors to Qatari flights and shipping.
   Etihad, Emirates, Fly Dubai and Gulf Air have halted all flights in and out of Doha, the Qatari capital. Qatar Airways says it's halting flights to Saudi Arabia.
   Qatari diplomats have been given notice to leave their foreign posts.
  Qatari citizens have been told they have 14 days to leave Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the UAE, and those countries also banned their own citizens from entering Qatar.

"Foreign Relations chairman stunned by Trump's Qatar tweets"
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/336557-foreign-relations-chairman-stunned-silenced-by-trumps-qatar-tweets

Qatar row: Trump claims credit for isolation
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40175935
"During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar - look!" Mr Trump tweeted on Tuesday.

He later tweeted: "So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding... extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!"

Looks like the Trumpster got taken on this one.
Slick move by the Saudis... to cut ties with Qatar post Trump visit accusing it of extremism, when the underlying reason is to stifle Qatars rising influence. Qatar is "getting out of line"....and filthy rich.

Below the link to a report with no slant that appears to just report the facts coupled with solid opinions , not that CNN trash you rely on.

It touches a lot what you said Dill, and may answer some of the questions you have.

It gives Trump some credit, but not for what Trump thinks he should be getting credit for:

The extreme action to cut ties may have been prompted by improved relations with the US since President Donald Trump took office.

Relations were less cosy when Barack Obama was leader due to differences of opinion on the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and the administration’s concerns about the civilian toll of the Saudi-led war in Yemen.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/why-saudi-arabia-and-six-other-countries-have-cut-ties-with-qatar/news-story/b758105a63a70df40b73211e0395d550
(06-06-2017, 10:53 PM)Dill Wrote: Well, I am still not quite sure what is going on. The crisis appears to have been precipitated by a Russian FAKE NEWS attack--not Trump's definition of fake news, but the one accepted by responsible journalists: totally false content presented to fool people. It appears Russia hacked a state website and attributed to the Emir statements encouraging to Iran. ("US Suspects Russian hackers planted fake news behind Qatar crisis":
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-qatar-crisis/index.html)

Qatar is Russia's #1 competitor in the natural gas market, and Qatari officials beat up a Russian diplomat at the Doha airport in 2011, supposedly over Russia's block of a pipeline to Europe through Syria. This conflict strengthens Russia by weakening US credibility and influence.

Qatar is also a thorn in Saudi Arabia's side, since it is so much more progressive, the home of AlJazeera, has often contested Saudi Leadership in the last decade of Middle East conflicts.  Their support of the Muslim Brotherhood (which is not a terrorist group in my view) angers the Saudis, who themselves funded the brotherhood until they started complaining the Saud family was too corrupt to be stewards of Mecca and Medina. There was even a military clash between the two countries in Qatar's southern desert back in the '90s, though almost nothing is known about the cause or the outcome.

Still, even the hack does not explain the sudden embargo by six nations. I suspect the Saudis perceive a vacuum of US power here and are trying to fill it. Qatar is the richest country in the world per capita, a real prize for whomever can control its gas. I don't know if you have been following Saudi foreign policy, but it is stupid and aggressive. They know a great deal about managing the world oil market, but military power is another story. I disagreed with Obama and Bush's cooperation with them in Yemen. Now Trump has stimulated who knows what dreams of regional power in their minds.

A fake news attack should make this all easy to walk back, but the Saudis don't seem to want that.
Here's a decent article on the subject. https://www.rbth.com/international/2017/06/06/will-russia-come-to-qatars-defense_777740

Interesting.

Saudi military is a farce. Their internal security forces are somewhat professional, but their military has no taste to fight. This, despite the fact that we have dumped tons of our most sophisticated weaponry on them since the 1980's. The incursion they led into Yemen blew up in their faces when they met hardened rebel fighters. So we ended up trying to send arms to the pro-Saudi rebels in an effort to aid our "buddies", and many of those weapons ended up in the hands of Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.

[Image: 200_s.gif]

Meanwhile, Qatar has a much more professional (if smaller) force. They have acquitted themselves well in recent actions where they have fought.
(06-06-2017, 11:33 PM)Vlad Wrote:  
Looks like the Trumpster got taken on this one.
Slick move by the Saudis... to cut ties with Qatar post Trump visit accusing it of extremism, when the underlying reason is to stifle Qatars rising influence. Qatar is "getting out of line"....and filthy rich.

Below the link to a report with no slant that appears to just report the facts coupled with solid opinions , not that CNN trash you rely on.

It touches a lot what you said Dill, and may answer some of the questions you have.

It gives Trump some credit, but not for what Trump thinks he should be getting credit for:

The extreme action to cut ties may have been prompted by improved relations with the US since President Donald Trump took office.

Relations were less cosy when Barack Obama was leader due to differences of opinion on the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and the administration’s concerns about the civilian toll of the Saudi-led war in Yemen.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/why-saudi-arabia-and-six-other-countries-have-cut-ties-with-qatar/news-story/b758105a63a70df40b73211e0395d550

Thanks for the link, Vlad. It does complement the points made above and in the links I posted. Plus it includes more background about recent gulf tensions around Qatar.
https://dohanews.co/saudis-demand-that-qatar-change-the-name-of-its-state-mosque/
(06-06-2017, 11:35 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Interesting.

Saudi military is a farce. Their internal security forces are somewhat professional, but their military has no taste to fight. This, despite the fact that we have dumped tons of our most sophisticated weaponry on them since the 1980's. The incursion they led into Yemen blew up in their faces when they met hardened rebel fighters. So we ended up trying to send arms to the pro-Saudi rebels in an effort to aid our "buddies", and many of those weapons ended up in the hands of Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.

Meanwhile, Qatar has a much more professional (if smaller) force. They have acquitted themselves well in recent actions where they have fought.

So much smaller, though. Less than 12,000 compared to Saudi's half million.

The US base is Qatar's guarantee against invasion from either Iran or Saudi Arabia.

The US presence is what so complicates this issue. It would be one thing if the Saudis were leading an embargo against Bahrain or Oman. But the disruption of daily life and commerce to this degree cannot help US operations in the Gulf. Surely the Saudis know that. I imagine Mattis and McMaster are pretty frustrated at this point.

Here's the view from Doha.
https://dohanews.co/trump-expresses-support-for-isolating-qatar/
https://dohanews.co/hackers-take-aim-at-qatar-by-publishing-fake-news-on-qna/

Two weeks ago the Saudis demanded Qatar change the name of its state mosque, named after Wahab.
https://dohanews.co/saudis-demand-that-qatar-change-the-name-of-its-state-mosque/
Whats funny about Trumps tweet is that the MSM would have reported the event in the same manner had Obama went there and spoke of eradicating a radical ideology.....

Trump: "During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar

MSM:"During Obamas recent trip to the Middle East the president stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar "

The criticisms would have been handled with kid gloves.  This so called "crisis" under Trump at worst would be treated as "collateral damage" under Obama amid this unbridled affection the msm has for Obama.
Like everything else the libs have screwed up, its OK... because Obamas intentions were good.
(06-07-2017, 03:31 AM)Dill Wrote: https://dohanews.co/saudis-demand-that-qatar-change-the-name-of-its-state-mosque/

So much smaller, though. Less than 12,000 compared to Saudi's half million.

The US base is Qatar's guarantee against invasion from either Iran or Saudi Arabia.

The US presence is what so complicates this issue. It would be one thing if the Saudis were leading an embargo against Bahrain or Oman. But the disruption of daily life and commerce to this degree cannot help US operations in the Gulf. Surely the Saudis know that. I imagine Mattis and McMaster are pretty frustrated at this point.

Here's the view from Doha.
https://dohanews.co/trump-expresses-support-for-isolating-qatar/
https://dohanews.co/hackers-take-aim-at-qatar-by-publishing-fake-news-on-qna/

Two weeks ago the Saudis demanded Qatar change the name of its state mosque, named after Wahab.

Apparently, the administration is willing to risk letting Al Udeid Base go, something the Qataris could ill afford.
(06-07-2017, 10:06 AM)Vlad Wrote: Whats funny about Trumps tweet is that the MSM would have reported the event in the same manner had Obama went there and spoke of eradicating a radical ideology.....

Trump: "During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar

MSM:"During Obamas recent trip to the Middle East the president stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar "

The criticisms would have been handled with kid gloves.  This so called "crisis" under Trump at worst would be treated as "collateral damage" under Obama amid this unbridled affection the msm has for Obama.
Like everything else the libs have screwed up, its OK... because Obamas intentions were good.

Can't agree with you there, Vlad.

Obama would have said nothing public about any of these countries without routing it through his NSC and State department advisors first. He would strive to first understand what was happening on the ground, then consider the likelihood that Russia hacking was attempting to drive a wedge between US allies in the region and treat that as the threat. In private he would be on the phone threatening to cancel current arms deals with the Saudis unless they backed off--thus allowing the Saudis to save face.

So the problem is not that Trump spoke about eradicating terrorism--both presidents have.

The problem is that the Saudis perceived that something Trump said to them gave them permission to organize this embargo on Qatar.

Then Trump's tweet suggested that he backed the Saudis--against the country which supports the major US base in the region. He tweeted before he looked into the matter, now complicating the problem.
Iran now has an opportunity to intervene in Qatar in ways it has not before, if Qatar accepts Iran's help.

Also, Saudi Arabia is far more guilty of sponsoring Sunni terror than Qatar.  Secretary of Defense and State are scrambling to sort this out.

Trump's public tweeting against an important US ally, and his backing of a power grab by Saudi Arabia, have made it difficult for either country to back down now. So the issue is not how the MSM do or do not report Trump vs Obama. The issue is how Trump has mishandled Saudi diplomacy and then threw gas on the fire with another unfiltered tweet.  Had he not done this, there would be nothing to report.
(06-07-2017, 10:43 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Apparently, the administration is willing to risk letting Al Udeid Base go, something the Qataris could ill afford.

I doubt Tillerson, Mattis and McMaster are so willing. That base was a tremendous investment and so strategically important to US Foreign policy in the region.

Is it possible the Trump really had no clue he was risking that base, and possibly drawing Iran into Qatar as their next big brother?

Could he have been, or be, fine with blowing up years of US diplomacy in the region?  I do not see how this conflict will help US efforts to combat ISIL and monitor Iran.

My fear is that he told the Saudis he was going to back off, strengthen them with arms deals (creating jobs back in the US), and let them "lead" the region in combating Iran fighting ISIL. The Saudis saw this then as a chance to chastise Qatar. Could they even go so far as to grab the country as Saddam did Kuwait? As you know, the Saudis are reckless as Trump, and their actions could prompt Iran to blow off the Iran deal, thereby angering China, France, and the UK, possibly even Russia. Bannon and the Trump base might find this a good outcome.

I should add that 86% of Qatar's 2.3 million people are foreign nationals. I will be traveling the next two days, but I would sure like to be able to monitor what is going on in India, Pakistan, the Philippines, and Great Britain right now. Also I am thinking that some 10,000 American families are concerned about this too.

Also worrisome is the fact that so few Americans know or care about this conflict at the moment. Though I understand that this is in part Trump's self-inflicted US crisis overshadowing his self-inflicted foreign policy crisis.
[Image: http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorag...2Faaaa.jpg]

Clueless.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(06-06-2017, 07:45 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Who was it on the board here that was suspect of Qatar, when asked clock-boy to move there ?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

probably lucie
People suck
(06-07-2017, 11:44 AM), etc.Dill Wrote: I doubt Tillerson, Mattis and McMaster are so willing. That base was a tremendous investment and so strategically important to US Foreign policy in the region.

Didn't the Qataris pay for the base?

Quote:Is it possible the Trump really had no clue he was risking that base, and possibly drawing Iran into Qatar as their next big brother?

I don't think they believe they are risking the base. I don't believe that any country in the region has sufficient military strength and acumen to take the base. I don't think they are concerned about this at all.

Quote:Could he have been, or be, fine with blowing up years of US diplomacy in the region?  I do not see how this conflict will help US efforts to combat ISIL and monitor Iran.

Trump has soured our relationships with England and Germany with his recent comments. You tell me. His "bull in a china shop" approach to anything involving foreign diplomacy smacks of only one thing IMO: isolationism.

Quote:My fear is that he told the Saudis he was going to back off, strengthen them with arms deals (creating jobs back in the US), and let them "lead" the region in combating Iran fighting ISIL. The Saudis saw this then as a chance to chastise Qatar. Could they even go so far as to grab the country as Saddam did Kuwait? As you know, the Saudis are reckless as Trump, and their actions could prompt Iran to blow off the Iran deal, thereby angering China, France, and the UK, possibly even Russia. Bannon and the Trump base might find this a good outcome.

I don't believe the Saudis are capable of successfully invading Qatar, they are having enough trouble in Yemen.

A coalition including Egypt, however, is a different story. But consider this. This is supposedly concerning Qatar "supporting" the Muslim Brotherhood. Is Egypt really going to send troops against another country for this reason when the Muslim Brotherhood is so entrenched in their own country? I don't think so.

I'm betting that this chastisement is about economics, not military.

Quote:I should add that 86% of Qatar's 2.3 million people are foreign nationals. I will be traveling the next two days, but I would sure like to be able to monitor what is going on in India, Pakistan, the Philippines, and Great Britain right now. Also I am thinking that some 10,000 American families are concerned about this too.

I'm aware of that. And I have heard that there is a considerable number of Shi'ites, in addition to Christians, Buddhists, etc.

Quote:Also worrisome is the fact that so few Americans know or care about this conflict at the moment. Though I understand that this is in part Trump's self-inflicted US crisis overshadowing his self-inflicted foreign policy crisis.

C'mon, now. It is a Muslim country in the Middle East. Are you really that surprised that Americans don't know or care? A portion of our population believe that all Muslims are terrorists to begin with. 
(06-07-2017, 11:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Didn't the Qataris pay for the base?

I don't think they believe they are risking the base. I don't believe that any country in the region has sufficient military strength and acumen to take the base. I don't think they are concerned about this at all.

I don't believe the Saudis are capable of successfully invading Qatar, they are having enough trouble in Yemen.

A coalition including Egypt, however, is a different story. But consider this. This is supposedly concerning Qatar "supporting" the Muslim Brotherhood. Is Egypt really going to send troops against another country for this reason when the Muslim Brotherhood is so entrenched in their own country? I don't think so.

Sorry so late getting back to you Zona. I didn't meant to imply another country would come and take the base.

The danger is that the country could fall into economic and social chaos around the base, making it difficult to operate, and making the US presence there politically difficult. Lots of contractors live off base with families. Right now their bags are packed and ready for evacuation.  Qatar would be easy to invade, being so small and flat and ill-defended--except for the US. Unlike Yemen, no place to hide, and a tiny population. No one will invade while the US is there. But Qatar could EASILY become a broken country, a mini Iraq. Then the US would have to police it to keep the base there--troops in downtown Doha, etc. creating more anger. If they leave, then Iran or Saudi Arabia will perform that service, widening the instability.

I don't know if Qatar paid for the base, but even if they did, they do not pay for the all the men and aircraft there. The strategic positioning might be hard to replicate elsewhere.

(06-07-2017, 11:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'm betting that this chastisement is about economics, not military.

A large part is about this:http://www.mrt.com/news/world/article/Al-Jazeera-a-target-in-Gulf-confrontation-with-11208518.php

The Qatar-based network, one of the most widely seen Arabic channels in the world, had long angered Mideast governments, since at its start it was one the few that presented alternative viewpoints. Critics say it has in past years turned to promoting Islamist movements as a tool of Qatar's foreign policy. The region's rulers see many of these movements, including the Muslim Brotherhood, as threats.

Qatar and the station deny the accusations. Qatar's foreign minister told The Associated Press there was no way the country would silence Al-Jazeera, which says its channels reach 100 countries and 310 million homes worldwide.

"If anyone thinks they are going to impose anything on my internal affairs or my internal issues, this is not going to happen. We are an independent country with our own sovereignty," said Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani. He said the allegations are based on "false and fabricated news."