Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump: Golf Champ
Yes, this is just a fluff story.  Feel free to ignore it.

Seems his supporters don't want to talk about his failure in making trade deals (or any deals really) or any of his legal woes so here's just something about him being an egotistical dummy.

Smirk

(Originally found on Yahoo News)

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/03/10/president-trump-club-championship-did-not-enter/

Quote:WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Donald Trump takes great pride in his golf game. Shinzo Abe and Tiger Woods and countless others can tell you about that. He once tweeted “I don’t cheat at golf” but added that Samuel L. Jackson does and “with his game he has no choice.” The president’s official USGA handicap index is listed as 2.8, though he seldom posts scores. Any visitor to the ornate men’s locker room at his club here, Trump International Golf Club, can see small rectangular brass plaques on his locker, recognizing him as the 1999, 2001 and 2009 club champion, and the 2012 and 2013 senior champion.

And now there’s a new plaque on his locker, screwed into its stained wood with two small Phillips head screws, to commemorate his latest title. It reads:

MEN’S CLUB CHAMPION

[Image: donald-trump-club-championship.jpg]President Trump's locker at Trump International in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Yes, Trump was president of the United States for all of 2018.

Yes, Trump turned 72 last year, which would be an impressive age to win even a senior club championship.

But there the plaque is, identifying Trump as the reigning club champion at his spectacular Trump International course.

His most recent win brings Trump’s club-championship haul — all won at clubs bearing his name — to an even 20. That includes senior and super-senior titles, too.

But to be precise about it, the plaque on his locker is two letters short of accurate. Trump is not actually the men’s champion at the club. He’s the co-champion. While that distinction is not found on his locker, it is made elsewhere at the club.

As for Trump’s path to No. 20, it was not conventional.

Originally, a man named Ted Virtue, the 58-year-old CEO of a New York investment firm called MidOcean Partners, had the 2018 club championship title all to himself.

Virtue, a member of Winged Foot and Westchester Country Club in New York and Lost Tree and Trump International in South Florida, won a series of matches en route to his title. He played football and basketball at Middlebury College in Vermont in the early 1980s and his golf is more athletic than poetic. His index is listed as 3.3 and his 20 most recent scores, all from 2018 and this year, range from 73 to 83. Trump has posted only two scores since 2016.
[Image: trump-125x125.jpg]
NEWS
[/url]Tour pros sound off on Donald Trump in GOLF’s anonymous pro survey
[url=https://www.golf.com/news/2018/08/29/tour-pros-sound-off-on-donald-trump-in-golfs-anonymous-pro-survey/]

After Virtue won the championship, Trump ran into him at the club, according to multiple sources who recounted the story. 
Having some fun with him, Trump said something like, “The only reason you won is because I couldn’t play.” The president cited the demands of his job, although he was able to make 20 visits to the club in 2018, according to trumpgolfcount.com
Trump then proposed a nine-hole challenge match to Virtue, winner-takes-the-title.

You could say there wasn’t much in it for Virtue, and you could argue that this is not how these matters are typically, if ever, settled. But consider these factors:

1. Trump owns the course;
2. Trump is the president of the United States;
3. Trump is not your typical golfer.

Virtue said yes.

They played match play (each hole as its own contest) and straight up (no shots were given). As in nearly all amateur golf rounds, no rules official was on hand. Golf’s tradition calls for players to police themselves and, if necessary, one another.
Trump won.

In victory a magnanimous Trump said to Virtue something like, “This isn’t fair — we’ll be co-champions.”

The crowning of co-champions in golf is rare, but it does happen, at every level. In the 1949 Motor City Open, Lloyd Mangrum and Cary Middlecoff each shot 273 for 72 holes and then matched scores for 11 straight sudden-death playoff holes, playing through sunset. They were declared co-champions.

And that is how Trump and Virtue are reportedly listed on a large club-championship plaque on a clubhouse wall, as co-champions. That would mean Trump’s name is now on that plaque four times. Or five, if you include the appearance of his surname on the gold crest at its top.

Several club employees said they were not allowed to discuss club matters. Eric Trump, who runs the Trump golf-course empire for his father, did not respond to messages. Neither did Virtue.
[Image: tedvirtue.gif]Ted Virtue, far left, was part of the Green Brook team that accepted the Academy Award for Best Picture.
ABC

Regardless of the outcome of that short match, 2018 was a good year for Virtue. A movie he helped get made, Green Book, was released, and on Feb. 24 it won the Academy Award for Best Picture. Virtue, tall and tanned, was standing on the stage when the movie’s director, Peter Farrelly, hoisted the bronze statuette at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood.

Virtue’s co-champion, who has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, was otherwise occupied that night, as the host of the Governors Ball at the White House.

There was no immediate word on the president’s plans, if any, to defend the championship he co-owns.

He's like a (badly written) character from a movie.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The 2.8 handicap is hard to believe. Not impossible. Dick Lebeau has been shooting his age since his early 70s. Trump's the kind of guy that does whatever the opposite of sandbagging is.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-12-2019, 11:22 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The 2.8 handicap is hard to believe.  Not impossible. Dick Lebeau has been shooting his age since his early 70s.  Trump's the kind of guy that does whatever the opposite of sandbagging is.

Well he golfs enough.   Smirk

And I don't know how it all works but if he hasn't turned in a score since 2016 can it be that accurate?  Is DJT getting better with age?
(03-12-2019, 11:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well he golfs enough.   Smirk

And I don't know how it all works but if he hasn't turned in a score since 2016 can it be that accurate?  Is DJT getting better with age?

No you are required to turn in all scores for a legitimate handicap. Most people would like to skip turning in their lowest scores. Luckily he lies the wrong way so if you are playing him for money you'll probably clean up.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-12-2019, 11:22 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The 2.8 handicap is hard to believe.  Not impossible. Dick Lebeau has been shooting his age since his early 70s.  Trump's the kind of guy that does whatever the opposite of sandbagging is.

swing speed of a low energy loser

[Image: DismalGracefulKatydid-max-1mb.gif]
Why is this a bigger story than this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/05/president-donald-trump-fulfills-dying-mans-wish-phone-call/3075893002/
Quote:A Connecticut man who is terminally ill received a phone call from President Donald Trump on Tuesday night, fulfilling a personal wish.
Jay Barrett, who has cystic fibrosis and is receiving palliative care, is an avid Trump supporter. Having some contact with the president was on his bucket list.
The call was facilitated by Bridgette Hoskie, Barrett's sister, who is a local politician and a Democrat.

Is it because hate outweighs love?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-14-2019, 06:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why is this a bigger story than this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/05/president-donald-trump-fulfills-dying-mans-wish-phone-call/3075893002/

Because anyone who likes Trump is a stupid backward racist bro-Nazi hick. Who cares if they get their wish before they die?

Mellow

(03-12-2019, 10:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yes, this is just a fluff story.  Feel free to ignore it.

Smirk

Or, you know, start a fresh thread with all the philanthropic things DJT has done over the years.

Start with his Trump Foundation.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c8b0a016462757873ebf041]
(03-14-2019, 11:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Smirk

Or, you know, start a fresh thread with all the philanthropic things DJT has done over the years.

Start with his Trump Foundation.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c8b0a016462757873ebf041]

You didn't answer either question posed.Just kinda did what you do.

(03-15-2019, 12:54 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You didn't answer either question posed.Just kinda did what you do.

I did.  You don't get sarcasm.

It wasn't necessarily "more important" than DJT making a phone call to a supporter.  It was posted specifically as a fluff piece.  But his supporter you got mad.

Fluff.

I then explained that you should start a "important" thread extolling the good things the virtuous Trump has done.

But instead you cried about your question not being answered.  

To sum up:

You felt the need to defend Trump.
You asked a non sequitur question.
It was answered.
You said the question wasn't answered.

Just kinda did what you do.  Mellow

(03-14-2019, 08:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Because anyone who likes Trump is a stupid backward racist bro-Nazi hick.  Who cares if they get their wish before they die?

Neither one of you gave a shit about "love" or this story at all until someone said something bad about your Donald then you had to run and find something from over a week ago to defend him.

Get off your high horses.
Someone's grouchy

(03-15-2019, 09:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Someone's grouchy

It's been a rough week/month for DJT and his supporters.  I don't hole that against them.   Mellow
(03-15-2019, 09:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Neither one of you gave a shit about "love" or this story at all until someone said something bad about your Donald then you had to run and find something from over a week ago to defend him.

Get off your high horses.

I can always rely on Fred to tell me what I think. It is indeed a gift.

The story became "current" again because the dude passed away. So you can STFU about digging up something that happened a week ago. And you can also stop with the amateur mind-reading because you suck at it.

FWIW, I don't think the story in the OP is "saying something bad about my Donald". It does say something about the person that found it worth posting though.

(03-15-2019, 02:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can always rely on Fred to tell me what I think. It is indeed a gift.

The story became "current" again because the dude passed away. So you can STFU about digging up something that happened a week ago. And you can also stop with the amateur mind-reading because you suck at it.

FWIW, I don't think the story in the OP is "saying something bad about my Donald". It does say something about the person that found it worth posting though.

Well, enough about me.
(03-15-2019, 02:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, I don't think the story in the OP is "saying something bad about my Donald". It does say something about the person that found it worth posting though.

If the story does not say anything bad about your Donald then that would mean the guy who posted it has nothing against him.

So not sure why you equated posting the story to "hate".
(03-15-2019, 02:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The story became "current" again because the dude passed away.

Nothing about him dying would make the story any more "current".  Trump did not do anything when he died.

His death was just one last chance for the right wing media to exploit every last drop of Trump love out of the fact that he visited this guy, er,  .  .   no wait, I mean he wrote this guy a beautiful personal letter, er,  .  .  no wait, I mean he took one minute during a commercial break of Fox and Friends to speak to the guy over the phone.
(03-15-2019, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the story does not say anything bad about your Donald then that would mean the guy who posted it has nothing against him.

So not sure why you equated posting the story to "hate".
Perhaps you don't fully understand hate, so you probably can't always identify on the street or in the mirror. The story linked says nothing bad, but the comments by the OP try to twist them that way. So there inlies the hate
(03-15-2019, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing about him dying would make the story any more "current".  Trump did not do anything when he died.

His death was just one last chance for the right wing media to exploit every last drop of Trump love out of the fact that he visited this guy, er,  .  .   no wait, I mean he wrote this guy a beautiful personal letter, er,  .  .  no wait, I mean he took one minute during a commercial break of Fox and Friends to speak to the guy over the phone.
I only became aware of the story because of dude's passing; I had heard nothing of it prior. Hence, why I said "why wasn't this bigger news".

You really should try to learn a little more about hate; perhaps, you can better identify actual acts of it.  

FWIW you didn't answer either question posed either. But you did help folks develop their own answer.

(03-15-2019, 07:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps you don't fully understand hate, so you probably can't always identify on the street or in the mirror. The story linked says nothing bad, but the comments by the OP try to twist them that way. So there inlies the hate.

Incessant bickering around here aside...

I would agree the majority of the article is apolitical and really doesn’t say anything of substance bad about daddy.

But to those of us who golf and keep a legitimate handicap; turning in 2 cards in that time frame is outright cheating. I hope you can admit and/or understand that.

Hope you have a great weekend bfine

(This is an attempt to start wishing my fellow PnR members to have a good weekend and remind everyone pleasantries go a long way in discussions like this. Tip of the hat to SSF for the idea in a previous thread.)
(03-15-2019, 07:53 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Incessant bickering around here aside...

I would agree the majority of the article is apolitical and really doesn’t say anything of substance bad about daddy.

But to those of us who golf and keep a legitimate handicap; turning in 2 cards in that time frame is outright cheating.  I hope you can admit and/or understand that.  

Hope you have a great weekend bfine

(This is an attempt to start wishing my fellow PnR members to have a good weekend and remind everyone pleasantries go a long way in discussions like this.  Tip of the hat to SSF for the idea in a previous thread.)

Sure, I guess it's cheating; I really don't know all the rules of golfing. I just know you have to wear tight polyester double-knit pants and a short sleeve 3 button shirt to participate in the endeavor. 

A good weekend to you as well.