Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump: Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was ridiculed by the 'fake news'
Very stable...genius....yep.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/405499-trump-lincolns-gettysburg-address-was-ridiculed-by-the-fake

[/url]
Quote:[url=http://thehill.com/people/donald-trump]President Trump on Thursday night claimed that the media "excoriated" President Lincoln when he gave the Gettysburg Address in 1863. 

"You know when Abraham Lincoln made that Gettysburg Address speech, the great speech, you know he was ridiculed?" Trump said during a rally in Billings, Mont., citing the 272-word speech that Lincoln gave on a battlefield near Gettysburg, Pa., during the Civil War. 

"And he was excoriated by the fake news. They had fake news then. They said it was a terrible, terrible speech."

Trump said the speech only became widely revered 50 years after Lincoln's death. 

"Fifty years after his death they said it may have been the greatest speech ever made in America," Trump said. "I have a feeling that's going to happen with us. In different ways, that's going to happen with us."

Trump's comments came as part of a free-wheeling speech he delivered in support of GOP Senate candidate Matt Rosendale on Thursday night.

The president touted Rosendale, Montana's state auditor, during the speech while taking several shots at his Democratic rival, incumbent Sen. Jon Tester.

“Jon Tester will never drain the swamp because he happens to live in the swamp and he loves the swamp,” Trump said. 
Tester is one of 10 Democratic senators running for reelection in states that Trump won in the 2016 presidential election.
The nonpartisan Cook Political Report rates the race between Tester and Rosendale as a "likely" win for the Democrat.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
It doesn't matter what he says anymore.

No one cares if any of it is true in any way. Even the people here who support him agree.

"Who cares if you can't believe a word he says. I got a tax break."
(09-07-2018, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Who cares if you can't believe a word he says. I got a tax break."

That's pretty much the GOP mantra, these days. It's the tone of the anonymous op-ed, it's the views of the legislators. Too bad the Democrats are so terrible at running for things because this could really be something to take advantage of.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Quote:Fifty years after his death they said it may have been the greatest speech ever made in America. I have a feeling that's going to happen with us.

No. No one is ever going to pluck out one of Trump's speeches for its eloquence, honesty or positive impact.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
To be fair the Gettysburg Address was a head scratcher when he spoke it. The crowd gave applause through it at times as they do any speech. But it wasnt until he begin to sit down did they realize it was over, and then gave clapped as there was silence for a few seconds.

The keynote speaker of the day who spoke before him was last name of Everett I believe, told Lincoln something like 'you just said in 2 minutes what I said in 2 hours.' Others not so nice or werent smart enough to realize what just happened.

But like today, Lincoln was criticized of the speech down partisan lines in newspapers. Democratic backed papers scorned and ridiculed him. But they weren't the brightest people of the day, for the next year they nominated George McClelland as their nominee who was chickenshit general that thought he was the next coming of Caesar or Napoleon.

In regards to Trump, I never have heard it was 50 years later or anything, but I do know over time and after Lincoln's death did the speech begin to gain momentum among scholars.

Garry Wills book Lincoln at Gettysburg is a great read for those that are interested too.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Considering Trump followers would have been fighting for the confederacy I'd say a lot of them would have been critical of the Gettysburg Address.

"Fox and Friends" would have eviscerated it.
(09-10-2018, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Considering Trump followers would have been fighting for the confederacy I'd say a lot of them would have been critical of the Gettysburg Address.

Nah, conservatives usually fight for/support the US Army.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-10-2018, 08:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, conservatives usually fight for/support the US Army.

So that means today's right wingers would have been fighting for the union?
(09-10-2018, 08:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, conservatives usually fight for/support the US Army.

Then why all the treasonous Confederate Battle Flags being flown by Trump supporters?
(09-10-2018, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Considering Trump followers would have been fighting for the confederacy.

Nothing like a disgusting smear against people who think differently than you.  I said it to your clone, I'll say it to you, your disdain for those with different opinions than yourself is really quite ugly.
(09-10-2018, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Considering Trump followers would have been fighting for the confederacy I'd say a lot of them would have been critical of the Gettysburg Address.

(09-11-2018, 11:11 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nothing like a disgusting smear against people who think differently than you.  I said it to your clone, I'll say it to you, your disdain for those with different opinions than yourself is really quite ugly.

That's not a refute that's an attack on the poster.

Fred clearly explained in his next post:

(09-11-2018, 10:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Then why all the treasonous Confederate Battle Flags being flown by Trump supporters?

Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-07-2018, 06:02 PM)Benton Wrote: No. No one is ever going to pluck out one of Trump's speeches for its eloquence, honesty or positive impact.

True.

But Trump is right about the Gettysburg Address being ridiculed by the 'fake news' of the day as I said above. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(09-11-2018, 11:11 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nothing like a disgusting smear against people who think differently than you.  I said it to your clone, I'll say it to you, your disdain for those with different opinions than yourself is really quite ugly.

Your calling my opinions "ugly" is ugly.  So what is your point?

And, yes, I have a problem with people who rally around the confederate battle flag.  Deal with it.
(09-11-2018, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Your calling my opinions "ugly" is ugly.  So what is your point?

And, yes, I have a problem with people who rally around the confederate battle flag.  Deal with it.

Yeah, except that's not what you said.  I'll leave it at that rather than have you twist yourself into another gordian knot with your constant obfuscations and half truths.

Have a pleasant day.