Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 3 Great Ironies of Wealth Inequality
(12-30-2016, 12:42 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I'm not sure why you think your family is a rebuttal for economietric studies and PEW research.

Can you tell how Amercian someone is by their bank account balance?  No.  Economic research won't help you determine how "assimilated" someone is when you meet them.  My wife most likely earns more than you annually.  Does that mean you are less assimilated?  No.
(12-30-2016, 12:39 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

(10-29-2016, 05:36 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I'm reminded of this sexy mexican girl I know who helps her parents run their flea market stand in Flordia. Let's call he Sexy Mexi. Her parents emigrated from Mexcio and they had her soon after. Since she was born in the U.S and spent her entire life here, she understood and spoke English much better than mama and papa. Most days at the flea market are here acting as a translator for her parents. 

After spending some time in the latino communitty, I found that Sexy Mexi's situation wasn't the exception; it was the rule.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal writes the guy who uses anecdotal evidence.
(12-29-2016, 07:52 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote:  I talked about two different things there. Just because both statements mentioned the same thing doesn't mean they were related.

Right.  Who would think that talking about the same thing would mean you are talking about the same thing.
(12-29-2016, 10:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Based upon my 11 y/o daughter, absolutely. 

According to your definition, my wife is a 2nd generation American and our daughter 3rd generation. If I didn't tell you that the information, you couldn't tell the difference between a 2nd generation American and a 22nd generation American.

(12-30-2016, 12:15 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: My wife is first gen and my son is second gen. My wife has an accent, so you can tell with her. But, there's no way anyone could single my son out as second gen from his classmates without knowing it in advance.  

Both of your children are not 2nd and 3rd Generation, unless you are the same Generation as your wife, which you are not. So it doesn't apply equally to your children.

Your children (like my son) have an assimilation advantage over true 2nd Generation children.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-30-2016, 04:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Both of your children are not 2nd and 3rd Generation, unless you are the same Generation as your wife, which you are not. So it doesn't apply equally to your children.

According to the definition included in the Pew study whatshisname posted, you're wrong. 

Here's the caveat, not everyone defines the generations the same. 
(12-30-2016, 04:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: According to the definition included in the Pew study whatshisname posted, you're wrong. 

Here's the caveat, not everyone defines the generations the same. 

I have never seen anything other than 2nd Generation is from 1st Generation Immigrants. <----- note the "s".

have you? if so please provide a study where they identify it differently.
(12-30-2016, 06:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I have never seen anything other than 2nd Generation is from 1st Generation Immigrants. <----- note the "s".

have you? if so please provide a study where they identify it differently.

Oh vey!

Not everyone defines first generation the same. Some would claim my mother-in-law is first generation while others would claim my wife is. It varies from source to source. 
http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/02/SDT-2013-02-07-Immigrant-Gen-1-04.png

Scroll down to "Defining the Immigration Generations."

Like I wrote earlier, according the to the Pews study's definition of immigration generations my wife is second generation and my daughter is third generation. They define a second generation American as someone with at least one immigrant parent <--------note there is no s. Again, the caveat is not everyone agrees on the definition of first generation.
(12-28-2016, 08:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I like looking at the extremes when it fits my narrative.  It reminds me of the time when my son broke his arm and he was all like "Waaahhh, I need to go to the doctor" and I was all like "Quit your bitching, there are kids your age with terminal cancer."  Then my wife came home and was all like "Wow, you're a terrible father" and I was all like "Yeah, but there are parents out there who straight-up murder their kids" and she shut up.

Perspective...get you some!

LOL rep for the perspective!
(12-28-2016, 02:14 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Inequality on a global scale is irrelevant unless you're advocating for some Alex Jones NWO kind of policy, which isn't very likely.

People are pretty gullible around these sorts of things.

This statement on inequality is puzzling. Why would economic inequality on a global scale be "irrelevant" to discussions of inequality in the US?  Some of our domestic inequality is surely the result of American businesses offshoring and outsourcing labor, so that a small percentage of Americans profit from cheaper labor elsewhere. Their profits would be less, and some American workers might be earning more, had those jobs remained in the US. That they did not increases the wealth gap in the US--profits (earned abroad) increase wealth at the top while wages decrease or cease to exist for workers at the bottom.

Reduction of wealth inequality in places like China, Indonesia, Vietnam, and India might help reduce it in the US as well, if such reduction involved raising the cost of labor.  
(12-30-2016, 12:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This idea "assimilation" takes "generations" is good for a chuckle.

I have more of an accent than my wife because I grew up in the south . . . of Ohio.  I sound like I'm from Kentucky.

Accents are an interesting thing.  My father was from Pittsburgh but he made the conscious decision to NOT speak like he was and to use proper grammar, despite the fact that he wasn't overly educated, etc.  It's a legitimate choice, in some senses because he had friends and even siblings who said "Yinz" and "I just seen" and some who didn't.  They were all from the same place and they had all the same level of education and "worldliness."

I work in a rather rural place in western PA and I have coworkers who says things like "I just seen" and we all know that isn't the proper grammatical tense (or whatever it is) but some people make the change and some don't.  To each his own, but I do find it interesting that some people adapt and some don't. I assume we all know, academically speaking, the basic rules of double-negatives and improper tenses, but some people feel compelled to change and some feel compelled not to change. It seems more cultural than academic, but that's just my take.
Pretty simple. Loss of unions has meant loss of worker power and negotiating leverage. When corporations are allowed to buy politicians and just make whatever law or trade deal or tax break that gives them more profits, hourly workers are the ones who pay for it. Too bad so many Americans have been brain washed to worship rich people as better than themselves, "They just worked harder and took more risks."  Rolleyes Too bad it's no longer risky to bribe politicians...

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/economics/inequality/labor-unions-income-pay-inequality-research

[Image: inequality-and-unions-from-Herzer-screen...68x517.png]
(01-01-2017, 01:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Pretty simple. Loss of unions has meant loss of worker power and negotiating leverage. When corporations are allowed to buy politicians and just make whatever law or trade deal or tax break that gives them more profits, hourly workers are the ones who pay for it. Too bad so many Americans have been brain washed to worship rich people as better than themselves, "They just worked harder and took more risks."  Rolleyes  Too bad it's no longer risky to bribe politicians...

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/economics/inequality/labor-unions-income-pay-inequality-research

[Image: inequality-and-unions-from-Herzer-screen...68x517.png]

This.

Every citizen who has 2 nickles to rub together is convinced he is on the same side as the millionaires.  The working class is getting screwed over by the wealthy elite, but they have been brainwashed to believe that poor people are the ones hurting them.