Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IRS won't require NRA, other groups to disclose donors to tax officials
(07-25-2018, 05:20 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: This is just the first step at creating a National Gun Database of law abiding citizens.

Once this database is created, the government can get the list of names from every organization in the United States because of precident of forcing the NRA to give up their list of members and donors.

Once all those nefarious gun owners are known, they can cross reference them with church lists, what other organizations they belong to like Masons or those crazy Baptists.

#tinfoilhattime

That's not legal under the Firearm Owner Protection Act of 86. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-25-2018, 05:29 PM)Benton Wrote: Like Matt said, it's possible for a large group like the NRA to do that. Hell, the PVF alone spends more than $20 million on an election year these days.

The question comes, to me, in whether or not they violate finance laws by shuffling the money or not being transparent in where member donations are going. A member might believe in the core group belief and donate to the NRA, but be against PVF's commercials in cemeteries. 

I have zero doubt that they try to skirt laws by doing this. However, it's extremely difficult to prove and I don't begrudge them doing so. Do I wish it didn't happen? Sure, but I can't blame them for taking advantage of something like our lax campaign finance laws. What irritates me is the people that will deny they do this, but during a discussion on government funded abortions will claim that because of the money being within the same organization at Planned Parenthood, it still pays for them even if the funds never touch on paper. It's the same sort of accounting shuffling that gets done to keep this funding separate.

To me, as long as an organization is following the law, GAAP, and FAS, then I'm not going to blame the organization for looking for an upper hand when there is one. Doesn't mean I won't try to change the law.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR