Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Stay Home!
The Donald needs to stop going down south to the hurricane damaged states and just stay in DC. All the millions and millions of dollars wasted by him and his entourage for him to have Photo opps and "appear presidential could be better spent actually helping the people down there. Some Commentators and Trump suckups say the people need him down there for him to tell them the government is going to help them. He can do that from DC. Most of the country doesn't believe anything that comes out of his mouth anyway and being the master flip flopper he is can change his promises in a second.
(09-13-2017, 06:53 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: The Donald needs to stop going down south to the hurricane damaged states and just stay in DC. All the millions and millions of dollars wasted by him and his entourage for him to have Photo opps and "appear presidential could be better spent actually helping the people down there. Some Commentators and Trump suckups say the people need him down there for him to tell them the government is going to help them. He can do that from DC. Most of the country doesn't believe anything that comes out of his mouth anyway and being the master flip flopper he is can change his promises in a second.

I actually have less of a problem with this than most.  It's okay for the POTUS to visit and let people know he thinks of them as real people and not just people on the television screen.

I do wonder if he will figure a way to go to his club and assess the damage there while on the taxpayer dime though.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
If he didn't visit, people would be all over him for it.

It's been a pretty constant political thing regardless of side. Either they go to the disaster, causing us to spend a lot of money and generally causing a distraction on relief efforts. Or you don't go to the disaster and the same people who would complain about the spending of money and distraction just roast you every which way for not caring enough to show up.

Doesn't matter which party the President is in, they would get the same reaction from the opposing side. It's a wrong choice regardless of which choice they make, so they all make the relatively easy choice of looking like a spendthrift rather than heartless. "What's a few more million of debt on top of the $20t compared to looking like I don't care about the people who might vote for me?"

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
He already screwed up by not visiting any victims when he went to Texas the first time, instead just going on about the crowd size.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-13-2017, 09:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: I actually have less of a problem with this than most.  It's okay for the POTUS to visit and let people know he thinks of them as real people and not just people on the television screen.

I do wonder if he will figure a way to go to his club and assess the damage there while on the taxpayer dime though.

I agree.

And I have to say that the past week or so have been the quietest and, dare I say, the most normal of his Presidency.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-13-2017, 10:59 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I agree.

And I have to say that the past week or so have been the quietest and, dare I say, the most normal of his Presidency.

Yep.  He's stayed off Twitter except to send encouragement or information.

His public speaking still leaves a LOT to be desired.  How someone with his kind of business experience has such a small vocab is beyond me.

But he seems to be trying to say the right things and unless he goes off script again he is doing quite well.

Please note though that the person running FEMA actually had some experience though...unlike many of his other appointments.
(09-13-2017, 11:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: How someone with his kind of business experience has such a small vocab is beyond me.

It is intentional and directed to particular audience: older people and anti-intellectuals who respond well to simple messages and a somewhat patronizing tone, and foreign media where a simple message has less chances of being misinterpreted or misunderstood.
(09-13-2017, 11:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: How someone with his kind of business experience has such a small vocab is beyond me.

(09-13-2017, 12:35 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: It is intentional and directed to particular audience: older people and anti-intellectuals who respond well to simple messages and a somewhat patronizing tone, and foreign media where a simple message has less chances of being misinterpreted or misunderstood.

If I remember correctly, most newspapers are/were written at a 4th-5th grade level.

(09-13-2017, 12:35 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: It is intentional and directed to particular audience: older people and anti-intellectuals who respond well to simple messages and a somewhat patronizing tone, and foreign media where a simple message has less chances of being misinterpreted or misunderstood.

I personally don't believe that.  If that were true we would have examples of him be well spoken with a larger vocabulary and I don't know of any that aren't scripted speeches.

I think he's just skated by on being born rich and being a bully.  No need to education when everyone does whatever you say all the time.
(09-13-2017, 06:53 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: The Donald needs to stop going down south to the hurricane damaged states and just stay in DC. All the millions and millions of dollars wasted by him and his entourage for him to have Photo opps and "appear presidential could be better spent actually helping the people down there. Some Commentators and Trump suckups say the people need him down there for him to tell them the government is going to help them. He can do that from DC. Most of the country doesn't believe anything that comes out of his mouth anyway and being the master flip flopper he is can change his promises in a second.

Remember when Bush was lambasted for only flying over New Orleans because he didn't want his presence to cause a lot of trouble?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-13-2017, 12:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If I remember correctly, most newspapers are/were written at a 4th-5th grade level.

A quick search showed 8th to 11th with a few claiming 6th grade level.

But that is still different than a grown, college educated business man answering questions.

Trump reminds of the kid who as to write a hundred word essay and 50 of the words are "very very very very" etc.  Smirk
(09-13-2017, 12:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Remember when Bush was lambasted for only flying over New Orleans because he didn't want his presence to cause a lot of trouble?

Also because he put someone in charge of FEMA who had no right to be there.

"heck of a job Brownie"
(09-13-2017, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Also because he put someone in charge of FEMA who had no right to be there.

"heck of a job Brownie"

Well he was criticized for a lot of things, but we are talking about visiting disaster sites.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I guess you guys are probably right. A couple of natural disasters might not be quite as good as us getting in a war for
increasing the Presidents popularity in the polls but its close. At least he is acting like he cares.
One thing, with Trump laying low tweeting, the late night talk show host don't have any material. ThumbsUp
(09-13-2017, 04:44 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I guess you guys are probably right. A couple of natural disasters might not be quite as good as us getting in a war for
increasing the Presidents popularity in the polls but its close. At least he is acting like he cares.
One thing, with Trump laying low tweeting, the late night talk show host don't have any material. ThumbsUp

Says a lot for the talent level of the late night hosts doesn't it.

(09-13-2017, 12:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: I personally don't believe that.  If that were true we would have examples of him be well spoken with a larger vocabulary and I don't know of any that aren't scripted speeches.

I think he's just skated by on being born rich and being a bully.  No need to education when everyone does whatever you say all the time.

I don't think he is stupid or lazy.

That kind of communication was encouraged in the Army where the writing/speaking motto was generally KISS ("keep it simple, stupid"). After being in honors composition courses in college, it was a bit of a change for me.
(09-13-2017, 04:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Says a lot for the talent level of the late night hosts doesn't it.

Nothing to do with talent level. Its the material the writers for those shows have to come up with. A moron like trump is a gold mine.
(09-13-2017, 04:54 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Nothing to do with talent level. Its the material the writers for those shows have to come up with. A moron like trump is a gold mine.

Like I said...

(09-13-2017, 12:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If I remember correctly, most newspapers are/were written at a 4th-5th grade level.

Supposedly, military manuals used to be written at a 6th grade level during the post-Vietnam years.
(09-13-2017, 05:08 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Supposedly, military manuals used to be written at a 6th grade level during the post-Vietnam years.

Yeah, I am pretty sure there is a noticeable difference between things like the M-16/M-4 manual and the more recent CLS stuff. Either due to the 10-20 years between when they were made, or because they simply expect more from the people reading the CLS material.