Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pence fears temptation
Nice write up about his marriage and his wife.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/karen-pence-is-the-vice-presidents-prayer-warrior-gut-check-and-shield/2017/03/28/3d7a26ce-0a01-11e7-8884-96e6a6713f4b_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.a6ad31786a31

They seem like a really happy, loving couple.

And personally I don't care about his refusal to eat alone with any other woman or attend a party where there is alcohol if his wife isn't there also.

Personal choices.  

But it reminded me of a guy who did some work for our company last year.

They were from Indiana also.  I had never met the boss in person but the morning they showed up he stopped me in our shop and asked if we could remove the "adult magazines" from the men's room.  He told me he was a Christian man and trying to stay faithful to his wife while he was on the road.

Mellow

The magazines were the biker/car type with bikini clad models on the cover.

Before I could move them one of the guys in the shop had already put them away.  We left them stored for the three days he was on our site.

But we ALL, from the most craven employee to the most holy, had the same question:  Why can't you just not look at them?

Temptation is different to different people.  But you cannot simply go through life trying to have it removed from your site/life and then claim you never fell to it.

Doesn't mean you go looking for situations to test your faith/marriage.  It means you are strong enough to ignore it when you are in those situations by yourself.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I'm not sure it's temptation, but maybe a respect issue.
That and being in a political position, you want to eliminate any situation that can be misconstrued.

As for the guy with the magazines...
Some people believe that even seeing seductive women/men (even in peripheral vision) is cheating on their significant other.

Odd, but different strokes....

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(04-01-2017, 01:19 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm not sure it's temptation, but maybe a respect issue.
That and being in a political position, you want to eliminate any situation that can be misconstrued.

As for the guy with the magazines...
Some people believe that even seeing seductive women/men (even in peripheral vision) is cheating on their significant other.

Odd, but different strokes....

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I can't see it.  He's a human being.  With a job.  He can't just say he'll never be alone with a woman in any setting (even public) ever out of "respect" for his wife.

I guess the more religious you are the less you trust yourself to do the right thing.
(04-01-2017, 01:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: I guess the more religious you are the less you trust yourself to do the right thing.

Honestly, I think that's true.
The person fears sin so much that they wouldn't dream of putting themselves in a situation where it's possible.
Risk reduction by premeditated guilt, I guess.

Now me.... I'm more a Daniel in the Lion's Den kind of guy.
(04-01-2017, 01:31 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Honestly, I think that's true.
The person fears sin so much that they wouldn't dream of putting themselves in a situation where it's possible.
Risk reduction by premeditated guilt, I guess.

Now me.... I'm more a Daniel in the Lion's Den kind of guy.

Absolutely.

It reminds of the story of the man who gave his three sons servants to watch while he away.

Quote:Parable of the Three Servants

14 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. 15 He gave five bags of silver[a] to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip.

16 “The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. 17 The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. 18 But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money.

“After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. 20 The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’

“The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together![b]

“The servant who had received the two bags of silver came forward and said, ‘Master, you gave me two bags of silver to invest, and I have earned two more.’

“The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’

Then the servant with the one bag of silver came and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a harsh man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate. 25 I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth. Look, here is your money back.’

“But the master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy servant! If you knew I harvested crops I didn’t plant and gathered crops I didn’t cultivate,27 why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.’

“Then he ordered, ‘Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one with the ten bags of silver. 29 To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away. 30 Now throw this useless servant into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
I think the temptation that calls Pence's name the most is coming from the candy dish. Ninja

(04-01-2017, 10:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: Nice write up about his marriage and his wife.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/karen-pence-is-the-vice-presidents-prayer-warrior-gut-check-and-shield/2017/03/28/3d7a26ce-0a01-11e7-8884-96e6a6713f4b_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.a6ad31786a31

They seem like a really happy, loving couple.

And personally I don't care about his refusal to eat alone with any other woman or attend a party where there is alcohol if his wife isn't there also.

Personal choices.  

But it reminded me of a guy who did some work for our company last year.

They were from Indiana also.  I had never met the boss in person but the morning they showed up he stopped me in our shop and asked if we could remove the "adult magazines" from the men's room.  He told me he was a Christian man and trying to stay faithful to his wife while he was on the road.

Mellow

The magazines were the biker/car type with bikini clad models on the cover.

Before I could move them one of the guys in the shop had already put them away.  We left them stored for the three days he was on our site.

But we ALL, from the most craven employee to the most holy, had the same question:  Why can't you just not look at them?

Temptation is different to different people.  But you cannot simply go through life trying to have it removed from your site/life and then claim you never fell to it.

Doesn't mean you go looking for situations to test your faith/marriage.  It means you are strong enough to ignore it when you are in those situations by yourself.

A recovering alcoholic who is trying to stay sober wouldn't go into a bar or to a bbq where alcohol is being served. Someone on a diet who is trying to get to a certain weight wouldn't go into a bakery.

Every person has that one sin they can't ignore, sex may be your bosses one sin that he just can't shake so he tries to remove the temptation whenever and wherever he can.

At least he didn't tell you that there could be no magazines anywhere on site and only to keep them out of view.

I don't think it's unreasonable to remove temptation from your life if you can.
(04-01-2017, 03:50 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: A recovering alcoholic who is trying to stay sober wouldn't go into a bar or to a bbq where alcohol is being served. Someone on a diet who is trying to get to a certain weight wouldn't go into a bakery.

Every person has that one sin they can't ignore, sex may be your bosses one sin that he just can't shake so he tries to remove the temptation whenever and wherever he can.

At least he didn't tell you that there could be no magazines anywhere on site and only to keep them out of view.

That's ridiculous.

If you fear your sins, you can't grow as a person. 

Which is probably why Pence is such an old child.

If he's that weak, he has zero business being in any position of power.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Who's jerkin it to bikini models in the crapper?

Hope this guy only had a flip phone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I searched the article linked in the OP for the word temptation and came up empty.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-01-2017, 04:22 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: That's ridiculous.

If you fear your sins, you can't grow as a person. 

Which is probably why Pence is such an old child.

If he's that weak, he has zero business being in any position of power.

I'm sure Neb appreciates your assertion that he cannot grow as a person. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-01-2017, 03:50 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: A recovering alcoholic who is trying to stay sober wouldn't go into a bar or to a bbq where alcohol is being served. Someone on a diet who is trying to get to a certain weight wouldn't go into a bakery.

Using that analogy Pence would be someone who already cheated and fears it again.

I was at an event for our son tonight.  My wife chaperones and I have to sit in the stands myself.  I found myself having a very nice conversation with a lady who was also there by herself and who, it turns out, had college roommates that were from our town.  I didn't feel the urge to have an affair.

I also drove past a Wendy's, McDonalds and Sheetz without getting food despite being famished.
(04-01-2017, 04:54 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Who's jerkin it to bikini models in the crapper?

Hope this guy only had a flip phone.

Our employees don't.

This guy was weird.
(04-01-2017, 01:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: Absolutely.

It reminds of the story of the man who gave his three sons servants to watch while he away.

I wish I had servants like that.
Maybe to keep Pence happy, we should require all women to cover themselves to remove all possible impropriety for all parties involved.

Ninja