Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trump could land $4B payday??
According to this opinion piece in the USA Today, it is entirely possible that DJT can come through all of his legal entanglements absolutely wealthier than he was prior to.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/why-trump-may-soon-rake-in-a-4-billion-payday-despite-his-legal-problems/ar-BB1iDFvy?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=aeebc2088e18482db59125fee4f98deb&ei=70

Quote:In a blistering 92-page opinion, New York Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron delivered an impressive tutorial to former President Donald Trump and other developers on how real estate should be evaluated in obtaining bank loans and insurance policies.It's an expensive lesson that will ultimately cost Trump many millions and will deprive him of future development and construction opportunities.There has been speculation in the news media that Trump will have either to sell assets or file bankruptcy protection to pay $453.5 million in penalties and interest that Engoron imposed on Friday.

Yet, while the decision imposes a hefty set of sanctions, I do not think it will be fatal to either Trump's finances or his business organization.

Let’s look first at what this decision will cost Trump and his business partners. In addition to the financial penalties, the associated injunctions include business restraints on Trump and the other defendants.The earlier decision in the case, issued in September, was modified by the final judgment vacating the cancellation of business certificates and the forced sale of corporate assets. Consequently, while this is an enormously expensive lesson, it is not necessarily fatal because the defendants will not be divested of their valuable assets.

Trump has been on the edge of the cliff before. For example, Trump-owned companies operating in Atlantic City filed for Chapter 11 four times between 1991 and 2009. But none of them proved fatal to Trump’s real estate empire.

Trump has been masterful in converting his numerous litigation hurdles into opportunities for campaigning and fundraising. He portrays himself as the victim of malicious enemies rather than the perpetrator of fraudulent business activities. Most of his supporters do not believe he committed fraud.

To those of us who are not MAGA disciples, Engoron has presented a clear picture of Trump’s failure to follow good business practices, with the assistance of two of his sons, corporate officers and other enablers.

How will Trump pay his fraud penalties? Your campaign donations, of course!

Engoron offered this explanation regarding appraisals: “Yet another great red herring in this case has been that different appraisers can legitimately and in good faith appraise the same property at different amounts. True enough, as appraising is an art as well as a science. However, the science part cannot be fraudulent. When two appraisers rely on starkly different assumptions, that is not evidence of a different opinion, that is evidence of deceit.”

While the defendants obtained appraisals, they often ignored them, did not disclose them to accountants and arbitrarily decided what properties were worth. They valued several properties that had not been constructed as though they were built, and they attributed no cost to constructing them.They ignored deed restrictions that prohibited more profitable uses, such as Mar-a-Lago being a residence, which was prohibited, rather than a permitted social club, which was much less valuable.They claimed that two to three times more houses could be constructed than zoning permitted on other properties. In short, their exaggerations rose to the degree of outright fraud.

Trump may land a $4 billion payday
Trump, however, may again avoid disaster. CNN Business reported the day before Engoron released his decision that “Donald Trump just got the green light to return to Wall Street.”

The Securities and Exchange Commission approved a merger between Trump Media & Technology Group and Digital World Acquisition Corp., a blank-check company, which would allow the Trump media enterprise to be a publicly traded company.

A blank-check company is a “special purpose acquisition company” formed to raise funds via an initial public offering without identifying the precise use of the funds. It is publicly traded even though it does not have an established business plan or a designated potential merger opportunity.

Trump’s stake in this merger could be worth $4 billion. That is enough capital to pay all the civil liability claims in the cases that have been decided and the cases that are pending.

If Trump wins reelection, he'll be able to shelve the federal criminal cases or even pardon himself. He also may be able to negotiate a plea deal in the Georgia case on trying to steal the 2020 election, avoiding prison and allowing him to continue as president.The $4 billion question is: Will Trump survive yet another crisis?

David H. Moskowitz, a retired Pennsylvania lawyer, is the author of "The Judge and the President: Stealing the 2020 Election."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to this opinion piece in the USA Today, it is entirely possible that DJT can come through all of his legal entanglements absolutely wealthier than he was prior to.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/why-trump-may-soon-rake-in-a-4-billion-payday-despite-his-legal-problems/ar-BB1iDFvy?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=aeebc2088e18482db59125fee4f98deb&ei=70

Trump also has a great argument NY violated his 8th amendment rights.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/eighth_amendment

Eighth Amendment

Most often mentioned in the context of the death penalty, the Eighth Amendment prohibits cruel and unusual punishments, but also mentions “excessive fines” and bail. The “excessive fines” clause surfaces (among other places) in cases of civil and criminal forfeiture, for example when property is seized during a drug raid.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 12:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Trump also has a great argument NY violated his 8th amendment rights.

Eighth Amendment

Most often mentioned in the context of the death penalty, the Eighth Amendment prohibits cruel and unusual punishments, but also mentions “excessive fines” and bail. The “excessive fines” clause surfaces (among other places) in cases of civil and criminal forfeiture, for example when property is seized during a drug raid.

Remember all of those videos of all the HRC supporters bawling their faces off when DJT won the 2016 election?  All I can say is that if an 8th amendment violation ruling goes in Trump's favor, as well as the merger of those media companies, the 'people coming unhinged' videos will be even more hilarious than those of 2016.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 12:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Trump also has a great argument NY violated his 8th amendment rights.

Eighth Amendment

that is not an excessive fine for someone who claims to be a multi billionaire

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 02:22 PM)pally Wrote: that is not an excessive fine for someone who claims to be a multi billionaire

That is an excessive fine, against any singular individual.  Were it corporation that was knowingly dumping biohazardous material into a water supply, or some such, I could rationalize that number. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 02:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is an excessive fine, against any singular individual.  Were it corporation that was knowingly dumping biohazardous material into a water supply, or some such, I could rationalize that number. 

See, that's why billionaires are going to move out of your state and take their jobs and tax revenue elsewhere. 

As for Trump, if he gets this $4 billion payout I bet he tells his supporters to celebrate by sending him money.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 02:22 PM)pally Wrote: that is not an excessive fine for someone who claims to be a multi billionaire

So if you have a net worth of 1 million and the government fined you $175,000, in your mind that would be OK?

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 02:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember all of those videos of all the HRC supporters bawling their faces off when DJT won the 2016 election?  All I can say is that if an 8th amendment violation ruling goes in Trump's favor, as well as the merger of those media companies, the 'people coming unhinged' videos will be even more hilarious than those of 2016.

Remember it well, they cried and then they declared he was not their President, stars wanted to blow up the white house. All normal behavior when liberals don't get their way, they go to their inner 5 year child and throw a tantrum.

All I know is it seems Trump got stronger support after being ordered to pay over 500 million in 2 lawsuits within weeks. I see a few polls of Trump versus Harris and Trump versus Newsome, Trump is beating them far worse than Biden. Trump is also winning in 7 swing states, he needs 4 to get back into the white house.

I think we will look back on the 2024 election and see illegal immigration and high inflation killed the Democratic party. There is nothing Biden can do now to fix the 8 to 10 million people who came into the country under his watch, they are here and wreaking havoc, committing crimes and taking the food out of the mouths of the lower class.

I just filled my car up, it was $4.59 for premium fuel. It was 2.99 under Trump. Gas prices are rising again thanks to Joe Biden energy policies, killed the pipeline in the US while approving a pipeline benefiting Russia Nordstrom 2. I find it fun to watch Democratic politicians trying to claim more Trump Russian collusion, the same Trump who sanctioned the heck out of Russia, China and Iran. 

Why do Democrats not go after Biden for helping Russia, China and Iran get rich while killing prices in the US making our citizens poorer? If anyone is compromised, it is Democrats and their party leaders Biden and Obama.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 02:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is an excessive fine, against any singular individual.  Were it corporation that was knowingly dumping biohazardous material into a water supply, or some such, I could rationalize that number. 

It isn't and that's because Trump is the owner of the Trump Organization. Therefore, the penalty against him is considered a penalty against the Trump Organization itself. It is a penalty against a corporation with a single owner for fraudulent activity.

There is very little chance this is overturned on 8th Amendment grounds because this isn't just about fines. Really, the penalty against Trump isn't a fine, but disgorgement. That difference is a big one.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 03:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Remember it well, they cried and then they declared he was not their President, stars wanted to blow up the white house. All normal behavior when liberals don't get their way, they go to their inner 5 year child and throw a tantrum.

All I know is it seems Trump got stronger support after being ordered to pay over 500 million in 2 lawsuits within weeks. I see a few polls of Trump versus Harris and Trump versus Newsome, Trump is beating them far worse than Biden. Trump is also winning in 7 swing states, he needs 4 to get back into the white house.

I think we will look back on the 2024 election and see illegal immigration and high inflation killed the Democratic party. There is nothing Biden can do now to fix the 8 to 10 million people who came into the country under his watch, they are here and wreaking havoc, committing crimes and taking the food out of the mouths of the lower class.

I just filled my car up, it was $4.59 for premium fuel. It was 2.99 under Trump. Gas prices are rising again thanks to Joe Biden energy policies, killed the pipeline in the US while approving a pipeline benefiting Russia Nordstrom 2. I find it fun to watch Democratic politicians trying to claim more Trump Russian collusion, the same Trump who sanctioned the heck out of Russia, China and Iran. 

Why do Democrats not go after Biden for helping Russia, China and Iran get rich while killing prices in the US making our citizens poorer? If anyone is compromised, it is Democrats and their party leaders Biden and Obama.

Average price in Florida is 4.103.  You're getting ripped off by someone...lol.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=FL

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-21-133309.png]

Which Biden policy made your gas prices go up?  Covid control?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 03:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: Average price in Florida is 4.103.  You're getting ripped off by someone...lol.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=FL

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-21-133309.png]

Which Biden policy made your gas prices go up?  Covid control?

Perhaps Luvnit lives in an affluent retirement area, where prices tend to be a little higher?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 03:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps Luvnit lives in an affluent retirement area, where prices tend to be a little higher?

That's why I asked.  Maybe he should buy his gas where it cheaper.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's why I asked.  Maybe he should buy his gas where it cheaper.

Asked what?  You stated that he was getting ripped off by someone, and presented an image of the State average price.  The town in Ohio that I live in tends to stay at least .20 higher than the State average, and it's not an affluent town, just in a rural area where they try to make up for less volume sold.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's why I asked.  Maybe he should buy his gas where it cheaper.

Why would I drive 50 miles to get gas cheaper?

By the way, the prices just went up from 2 days ago, same place I filled up my wife's car was $3.99. You are like Biden, don't believe the high prices you are paying to feed your family, it is in your mind and Bidenomics is great.

Maybe your graph is not current as gasoline is a commodity and prices do change, especially under Biden's failed energy policies. But good news, Russia is getting rich off of the pipeline Biden approved to Germany.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/16/business/gas-prices-inflation/index.html

New York

CNN

— 

You’re not imagining it: Gasoline prices are moving swiftly higher across the country.

The national average has climbed 11 cents in the past week alone, to $3.28 a gallon, according to AAA. That means millions of Americans hitting the roads this Presidents’ Day weekend will be greeted by the highest prices in nearly three months.

Some of this jump in pump prices is normal. Gas prices always rise as winter winds down because demand increases and gas stations must switch over to more expensive summer fuel.

Some of this jump is abnormal. Refinery outages — including a weekslong shutdown of the largest refinery in the Midwest — are limiting the supply of gas.

No matter the cause, rising gas prices are bad news for consumers already frustrated by the cost of living.

And this trend could cause headaches for officials in Washington — especially if it accelerates. Higher gas prices complicate the Federal Reserve’s war on inflation. And they undercut the election year message of a White House that previously pointed to cheap gas prices as evidence that Bidenomics is working.

The higher prices go, the bigger the headaches.

“It’s a very sensitive subject for Americans,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. “The White House is somewhat powerless. The president doesn’t really deserve credit or blame. The market will do what it’s going to do.”

Why gas prices rise as winter ends
Gas prices bottomed at $3.07 a gallon nationally on January 15. Since then, the national average has increased by 21 cents to $3.28 on Friday.

So far, this is well within what’s considered normal. De Haan said that over the past decade, gas prices have increased by between 35 and 85 cents a gallon between the winter low and the spring-summer peak.

First, oil prices — the main driver of retail gas prices — tend to increase during this time of the year. That’s true again now. US crude has increased by about $10 since mid-December, to $78 a barrel today.

Investors know that demand for fuel increases as people drive more often and take road trips in warmer weather.

“January and February are the lowest gas demand months,” said Andy Lipow, president of consulting firm Lipow Oil Associates. “We are moving into higher demand months. That should be no surprise. It’s been this way for 50 years.”

Another annual tradition: Gas stations switch over to more expensive summer blends of fuel. That transition has already happened in Southern California — a switch that can add about 30 cents a gallon to gas prices.

Refinery troubles
At the same time, refineries often shut down for regularly scheduled maintenance late in the winter and early in the spring. Those shutdowns limit how much oil the refinery system can turn into gasoline, jet fuel and diesel.

What’s complicated matters this winter is there have been some unscheduled refinery outages.

Most notably, BP’s Whiting refinery in northwest Indiana has been shut down for weeks. That’s a big deal because this refinery is not just BP’s largest in the world, it’s the biggest in the Midwest. BP says Whiting can produce enough gasoline each day to support the average daily travel of 7 million cars.

It’s no coincidence then, that states in the Midwest have experienced the biggest price spikes.

Over the past month, gas prices have surged by 47 cents in Ohio, 40 cents in Indiana and 36 cents in Illinois, according to AAA.

Refinery outages in the Rocky Mountain region — which includes Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico — have also helped drive up the price of gas there. In the past week, gas has risen by 26 cents in New Mexico and by 21 cents in Colorado, according to the driving club.

A series of refinery closures in recent decades has made the country more vulnerable to unexpected outages — including those caused by extreme weather. For instance, without the usual backstop, last summer’s historic heatwave that knocked some refineries offline unexpectedly lifted gas prices across the country.

It’s worth noting that while gas prices have gone up sharply in recent weeks, it’s cheaper to fill up than it was a year ago. The national average for regular gas stood at $3.42 a gallon at this point last year.

How high will they go?
Looking ahead, experts are confident gas prices will continue to rise — but likely at a slower pace.

As long as there are no major surprises, Lipow expects the national average will peak at between $3.50 and $3.75 a gallon this summer. That’s a far cry from the unprecedented spike above $5 a gallon in June 2022.

“There is more than adequate crude oil supply — unless we get a major disruption due to tensions spreading throughout the Middle East,” Lipow said.

If the Israel-Hamas war spreads and derails supply from Iran and Saudi Arabia, prices would likely spike.

GasBuddy’s De Haan expects the national average will hit $3.50 a gallon by March or April. But he doesn’t see gas prices hitting $4 a gallon this year — unless something goes wrong.

“A refinery outage here or an Arab Spring there could cause prices to go up a lot more,” he said.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 03:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Asked what?  You stated that he was getting ripped off by someone, and presented an image of the State average price.  The town in Ohio that I live in tends to stay at least .20 higher than the State average, and it's not an affluent town, just in a rural area where they try to make up for less volume sold.

Ah.  Originally I had asked where he was getting his gas then edited it.

So which Biden policy makes your town or his higher than the rest of the state?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 03:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why would I drive 50 miles to get gas cheaper?

By the way, the prices just went up from 2 days ago, same place I filled up my wife's car was $3.99. You are like Biden, don't believe the high prices you are paying to feed your family, it is in your mind and Bidenomics is great.

Maybe your graph is not current as gasoline is a commodity and prices do change, especially under Biden's failed energy policies. But good news, Russia is getting rich off of the pipeline Biden approved to Germany.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/16/business/gas-prices-inflation/index.html

New York

CNN

— 

You’re not imagining it: Gasoline prices are moving swiftly higher across the country.

The national average has climbed 11 cents in the past week alone, to $3.28 a gallon, according to AAA. That means millions of Americans hitting the roads this Presidents’ Day weekend will be greeted by the highest prices in nearly three months.

Some of this jump in pump prices is normal. Gas prices always rise as winter winds down because demand increases and gas stations must switch over to more expensive summer fuel.

Some of this jump is abnormal. Refinery outages — including a weekslong shutdown of the largest refinery in the Midwest — are limiting the supply of gas.

No matter the cause, rising gas prices are bad news for consumers already frustrated by the cost of living.

And this trend could cause headaches for officials in Washington — especially if it accelerates. Higher gas prices complicate the Federal Reserve’s war on inflation. And they undercut the election year message of a White House that previously pointed to cheap gas prices as evidence that Bidenomics is working.

The higher prices go, the bigger the headaches.

“It’s a very sensitive subject for Americans,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. “The White House is somewhat powerless. The president doesn’t really deserve credit or blame. The market will do what it’s going to do.”

Why gas prices rise as winter ends
Gas prices bottomed at $3.07 a gallon nationally on January 15. Since then, the national average has increased by 21 cents to $3.28 on Friday.

So far, this is well within what’s considered normal. De Haan said that over the past decade, gas prices have increased by between 35 and 85 cents a gallon between the winter low and the spring-summer peak.

First, oil prices — the main driver of retail gas prices — tend to increase during this time of the year. That’s true again now. US crude has increased by about $10 since mid-December, to $78 a barrel today.

Investors know that demand for fuel increases as people drive more often and take road trips in warmer weather.

“January and February are the lowest gas demand months,” said Andy Lipow, president of consulting firm Lipow Oil Associates. “We are moving into higher demand months. That should be no surprise. It’s been this way for 50 years.”

Another annual tradition: Gas stations switch over to more expensive summer blends of fuel. That transition has already happened in Southern California — a switch that can add about 30 cents a gallon to gas prices.

Refinery troubles
At the same time, refineries often shut down for regularly scheduled maintenance late in the winter and early in the spring. Those shutdowns limit how much oil the refinery system can turn into gasoline, jet fuel and diesel.

What’s complicated matters this winter is there have been some unscheduled refinery outages.

Most notably, BP’s Whiting refinery in northwest Indiana has been shut down for weeks. That’s a big deal because this refinery is not just BP’s largest in the world, it’s the biggest in the Midwest. BP says Whiting can produce enough gasoline each day to support the average daily travel of 7 million cars.

It’s no coincidence then, that states in the Midwest have experienced the biggest price spikes.

Over the past month, gas prices have surged by 47 cents in Ohio, 40 cents in Indiana and 36 cents in Illinois, according to AAA.

Refinery outages in the Rocky Mountain region — which includes Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico — have also helped drive up the price of gas there. In the past week, gas has risen by 26 cents in New Mexico and by 21 cents in Colorado, according to the driving club.

A series of refinery closures in recent decades has made the country more vulnerable to unexpected outages — including those caused by extreme weather. For instance, without the usual backstop, last summer’s historic heatwave that knocked some refineries offline unexpectedly lifted gas prices across the country.

It’s worth noting that while gas prices have gone up sharply in recent weeks, it’s cheaper to fill up than it was a year ago. The national average for regular gas stood at $3.42 a gallon at this point last year.

How high will they go?
Looking ahead, experts are confident gas prices will continue to rise — but likely at a slower pace.

As long as there are no major surprises, Lipow expects the national average will peak at between $3.50 and $3.75 a gallon this summer. That’s a far cry from the unprecedented spike above $5 a gallon in June 2022.

“There is more than adequate crude oil supply — unless we get a major disruption due to tensions spreading throughout the Middle East,” Lipow said.

If the Israel-Hamas war spreads and derails supply from Iran and Saudi Arabia, prices would likely spike.

GasBuddy’s De Haan expects the national average will hit $3.50 a gallon by March or April. But he doesn’t see gas prices hitting $4 a gallon this year — unless something goes wrong.

“A refinery outage here or an Arab Spring there could cause prices to go up a lot more,” he said.

Yeah so I asked which Biden policy made your gas prices go up.  And now prices are higher in your area than other parts of Florida so what did Biden do to make that happen?

Also the prices I linked to are updated daily.

Quote:County average gas prices are updated daily to reflect changes in price. For metro averages, click here.

I mean obviously you blame Biden for every problem but I was genuinely curious if you could explain to me why.
Reply/Quote
Imagine that.

A shady conman getting sued for trying to rip someone off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/29/trump-media-sued-over-dwac-merger-share-dilution.html

All he does is look out for himself and try to screw everybody else over. Every single time.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Imagine that.

A shady conman getting sued for trying to rip someone off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/29/trump-media-sued-over-dwac-merger-share-dilution.html

All he does is look out for himself and try to screw everybody else over. Every single time.

So, when the next Democrat businessman gets caught up in similar, will you be as equally jubilant to share the story?  (asking for a friend) Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, when the next Democrat businessman gets caught up in similar, will you be as equally jubilant to share the story?  (asking for a friend) Ninja

Point em out.

Pretty easy to call out shady conmen. Especially the ones who were friends with Epstein for a couple decades, ran fraudulent charities, or tried to destroy our democracy, and/or have decades worth of failed businesses while they shit in gold toilets and the workers get bent over.

Anybody like that. Yep I will gladly call them out.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 11:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Point em out.

I did.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Gavin-Newsome-as-slimy-as-they-come

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote