Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Trump Comes to Ohio and Threatens the Entire Country
(03-19-2024, 02:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sure, but that's not what we're talking about.

For the auto industry, yes.

Yes, he's using the same scare tactic frequently used by the left.  

Are we discussing that speech (you'd have to post the specific one is we are to discuss it) too, or are we just discussing the actual topic of the thread?

First off, I'm not seeing any partisanship from either of us in this thread.  The only appeals to emotion I'm seeing in this thread are coming from left leaning posters and yourself.  I don't know if you consider yourself left leaning, I think you just really hate Trump.  Consequently, I don't think your judgment is sound when it comes to issues concerning him.  Your interpretation of my position certainly isn't.  I won't presume to speak for Xeno.

Yes it is. He gave one speech in Ohio that day. If you can’t put 2+2 together. Not sure what to tell you.

The bloodbath will be the least of it if he doesn’t get elected… sure cars.

What scare tactic is that? People warning against this very man who actually attempted to end our democracy?

Yes we are discussing a speech from the same man who gave a similar speech immediately before YOUR capitol was assaulted. Why play dumb?

Your willingness as a LEO to ignore threats, make excuses for, and play whataboutism with, a speech from the same man who incited a violent mob that assaulted our capitol and tried to steal an election is quite frankly disgusting. Keep overlooking the fact he started the speech saluting criminals in jail for desecrating the symbol of democracy in your country.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:17 PM)hollodero Wrote: ? As far as I can gather, many people are exempt from paying federal income tax for one reason or another. On a quick search, I found this site that claims 28% of households pay no net federal taxes.

Many of them still have to file. 
Can't get the EITC money with out filing. Others it says are using loopholes to pay a net of zero, still fling though. 
It's not quite the same as not fling and avoiding the taxes. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 08:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Left leaning fact checker Snopes rules Trump was speaking about a bloodbath for the economy.

But once again, Democrats lose more credibility, fake news CBS, NBC, Politico, MSNBC, CNN, WAPO all lose another piece of credibility. Biden and Pelosi are exposed again for what they are, liars and lose credibility.

Independents watch as Democrats use the same failed play book to take down Trump, sorry notworking, only making him stronger with his own base and Independents.

One more Trump hoax debunked within minutes. 

Looks like the "bloodbath" comment has distracted us from the 100% tariff on cars produced in Mexico.

How are Trump's promised policies sounding to you now?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 05:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Many of them still have to file. 
Can't get the EITC money with out filing. Others it says are using loopholes to pay a net of zero, still fling though. 

Well, it's effectively the same, but I do get your point. However, I don't see a valid reason to deny US citizens representation and voting rights because they pay no taxes. That's not democracy.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 05:36 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, it's effectively the same, but I do get your point. However, I don't see a valid reason to deny US citizens representation and voting rights because they pay no taxes. That's not democracy.

TBH. I have no issues against them being a state. 

In 2020, PR voted for statehood, the majority said yes at a 54%ish clip, unfortunately only 55% of all voters voted. So the DOJ said invalid results and their own government is mixed on it as well. Oddly enough, their Left leaning politicians do not want to be a State. They even have Extremist parties now that are against it and vying for power. 

It's a mess.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:42 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: What scare tactic is that? People warning against this very man who actually attempted to end our democracy?

Yes we are discussing a speech from the same man who gave a similar speech immediately before YOUR capitol was assaulted. Why play dumb?

Your willingness as a LEO to ignore threats, make excuses for, and play whataboutism with, a speech from the same man who incited a violent mob that assaulted our capitol and tried to steal an election is quite frankly disgusting. Keep overlooking the fact he started the speech saluting criminals in jail for desecrating the symbol of democracy in your country.

Yes, I remember back in 2020, on the question of whether Trump would leave office peacefully, people in this forum were 
diluting Trump rhetoric and priding themselves on their good sense in not taking Trump literally and media "overreaction" seriously.

(03-19-2024, 04:42 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yes it is. He gave one speech in Ohio that day. If you can’t put 2+2 together. Not sure what to tell you.
The bloodbath
will be the least of it if he doesn’t get elected… sure cars.

Earlier on this thread, Hollo and Bels noted that apparent shift in emphasis (referent?) as well--

There'll be a "Bloodbath for the whole" and "that" will be "the least of it."  What will be the least of it? and for what "whole"?
At first glance, it sounds like "the whole" could mean the Mexican auto market. They'd be unable to sell cars. Hence disaster. 
But that Mexican bloodbath would only occur if he's elected and puts tariffs on Mexican built cars.

However, he says a bloodbath for "the country" if he's NOT elected. That bloodbath must refer to the US, since he's not running in Mexico.

And "that" would be least of it. "That" refers to the automarket? There'll be a widespread "economic" bloodbath, but not just involving cars? 

Trump is no economist. He is an authoritarian populist who often encourages/predicts violence among his
followers. E.g. no economic metaphors in this warning:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-warns-potential-death-destruction-charged-hush-money-probe-rcna76500

So pointing out there'll be a "bloodbath for the whole" CAN be an economic metaphor doesn't really secure what Trump meant 
or what his followers "heard" him say.

Here are his words:"They think that they're going to sell those cars into the United States with no tax at the border. Let me tell you something to China. If you're listening President Xi [Jinping], and you and I are friends, but he understands the way I deal: Those big monster car manufacturing plants that you're building in Mexico right now, and you think you're gonna get that, you're gonna not hire Americans and you're gonna sell the cars to us -- no.

"We're gonna put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line, and you're not gonna be able to sell those guys, if I get elected!" Trump said.

"Now, if I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath for the whole -- that's gonna to be the least of it -- it's gonna be a bloodbath for the country. That'll be the least of it," he said. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-seeks-fundraise-off-bloodbath-controversy/story?id=108246320
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 05:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: TBH. I have no issues against them being a state. 

In 2020, PR voted for statehood, the majority said yes at a 54%ish clip, unfortunately only 55% of all voters voted. So the DOJ said invalid results and their own government is mixed on it as well. Oddly enough, their Left leaning politicians do not want to be a State. They even have Extremist parties now that are against it and vying for power. 

It's a mess.

That results are invalid due to turnout seems unheard of. Only 70% participated in the Brexit vote, no one argued that the results should be invalid because of that. I wouldn't know too much about how the efforts actually died, but it seems democrats are in favor of statehood because they want the two senators, republicans are opposed because they don't want said senators and it's party politics deciding the fate of these citizens. The 2020 vote was not the only recent one where statehood got a majority either.

Now, if a majority of Puerto Ricans would vote against having all the rights of any US citizen, I'd be in a bind with my opinion. But in principle, I can not fathom not granting them representation and a vote when it comes to who's their president. Alas, it's not a hill I really plan to die on, aside from the fact that it is most certainly not undemocratic or even condemnable to want voting rights for all unblemisshed US citizens, which is why I opened this whole barrel in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 06:03 PM)Dill Wrote:  

"Now, if I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath for the whole -- that's gonna to be the least of it -- it's gonna be a bloodbath for the country. That'll be the least of it,

You didn't include the last sentence to the statement. The whole statement was.....

Now, if I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath for the whole, that's going to be the least of it. It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That'll be the least of it. But they're not gonna sell those cars."
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 06:15 PM)hollodero Wrote: That results are invalid due to turnout seems unheard of. Only 70% participated in the Brexit vote, no one argued that the results should be invalid because of that. I wouldn't know too much about how the efforts actually died, but it seems democrats are in favor of statehood because they want the two senators, republicans are opposed because they don't want said senators and it's party politics deciding the fate of these citizens. The 2020 vote was not the only recent one where statehood got a majority either.

Now, if a majority of Puerto Ricans would vote against having all the rights of any US citizen, I'd be in a bind with my opinion. But in principle, I can not fathom not granting them representation and a vote when it comes to who's their president. Alas, it's not a hill I really plan to die on, aside from the fact that it is most certainly not undemocratic or even condemnable to want voting rights for all unblemisshed US citizens, which is why I opened this whole barrel in the first place.

Stop, I don't think it's an R vs D thing. they are a mixed bag. I think that's just bs pollical garbage talk the typical pointing fingers at each other.
Most PR's are Conservative Christians 
For example: They are against abortion and more conservative socially than US Dems. 

Dems think that just because they are a "minority" they will get the vote.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 06:39 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Stop, I don't think it's an R vs D thing. they are a mixed bag. I think that's just bs pollical garbage talk the typical pointing fingers at each other.
Most PR's are Conservative Christians 
For example: They are against abortion and more conservative socially than US Dems. 

Dems think that just because they are a "minority" they will get the vote.

Maybe it is not, I just assumed. It's just, when it comes to voting every stance, imho, usually is fueled by what aids the respective parties. Eg. Dems are in favor of mail-in votes and against voter ID laws because they believe it helps them; republicans are against mail-in and for voter ID because the feel lower turnouts help them. But maybe the PR question is different, I really don't know.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 06:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: You didn't include the last sentence to the statement. The whole statement was.....

Now, if I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath for the whole, that's going to be the least of it. It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That'll be the least of it. But they're not gonna sell those cars."

So a bloodbath for our country because . . . ?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 05:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Many of them still have to file. 

(03-19-2024, 06:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: You didn't include the last sentence to the statement. The whole statement was.....

(03-19-2024, 08:18 PM)Dill Wrote: So a bloodbath for our country because . . . ?

Yeah, selective editing and organized planned attacks on words is so 2016...Rolleyes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 08:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, selective editing and organized planned attacks on words is so 2016...Rolleyes

?? I'm in the dark here, Sunset.
Reply/Quote
Well if you need more evidence of Puerto Rico's stance.

Just read all about that "warm" welcome they gave Kamala Harris who gaily clapped along while they insulted her.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 04:19 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well if you need more evidence of Puerto Rico's stance.

Just read all about that "warm" welcome they gave Kamala Harris who gaily clapped along while they insulted her.

I won't believe PR hates democrats until the GOP pushes to make it a state. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:14 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I won't believe PR hates democrats until the GOP pushes to make it a state. 

PR is just like everywhere else, a mixed bag. Honestly, the politics on the island with regards to the US mainland is more split between "wants to be a state" and "wants to be completely independent" than it is between Democrat and Republican. But, since they can't vote for POTUS and don't have a real vote in Congress, our politicians in general don't really care about them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 04:19 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well if you need more evidence of Puerto Rico's stance.

I did read it.

https://apnews.com/article/kamala-harris-puerto-rico-protest-ae7f0add9b8df3d1f7e88239ac8a5839

Seems they are divided there as we are here, with many of the protestors wanting a cease fire in the Gaza Strip.

Quote:[color=var(--color-byline-authors)]BY DÁNICA COTO
Updated 9:53 PM EDT, March 22, 2024
[/color]

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris visited Puerto Rico on Friday as part of a whirlwind trip to tout the federal aid the U.S. territory has received following deadly hurricanes and attend a Democratic fundraiser.

Her visit comes days after U.S. President Joe Biden launched a campaign targeting Latino voters ahead of the November general elections. While those in Puerto Rico cannot vote in U.S. presidential elections despite being U.S. citizens, more than 5 million Puerto Ricans live in the U.S. mainland.

Accompanying Harris for the roughly five-hour visit to the island were U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm and Housing and Urban Development Deputy Secretary Adrianne Todman. Welcoming them was Gov. Pedro Pierluisi, a Democrat whose New Progressive Party has long pushed for statehood.

Harris’ first stop was to visit a new home in the northern municipality of Canovanas, located near the capital. It had been destroyed after Hurricane Maria hit the island in September 2017 as a powerful Category 4 storm, killing nearly 3,000 people in its aftermath.

En route, the motorcade passed people holding their phones up as it went by. Some onlookers leaned out of their cars to take photos as they waited for the motorcade to pass, while others stood outside businesses and homes as the motorcade continued. One girl held a sign imploring help to fix their home.

“I see we are making a difference. There is still more work to do,” Harris said as she stood on the lawn of the new home draped with a large Puerto Rican flag. “We are ambitious. Yes, we are impatient.”

It was Harris’ first visit to Puerto Rico as vice president. She visited as a U.S. senator in 2017 after devastating hurricanes Irma and Maria pummeled the island.

Harris said one of the ongoing challenges Puerto Rico faces is intermittent energy sources, with outages still occurring daily since Maria razed the power grid. She noted that the federal government has provided some $3 billion in reliable energy sources, including rooftop solar panels. It also shipped mega generators last year to minimize outages.

“(This) is about an upgrade on quality of life and just the well being and dignity of each family to be able to satisfy their basic needs,” she said, adding that hurricane resistance technology is being used. “Puerto Rico taught us some lessons.”

Meanwhile, Todman said that more than 6,000 homes have been repaired and more than 3,500 new units built since the devastating storm.

“It’s undeniable that more work remains to be done,” she said.

Reconstruction in the years following Maria was slow, in part given the spending restrictions that the Trump administration implemented at the time.

During Harris’ visit on Friday, Pierluisi thanked her and Biden for their help: “They’re with us in connection with this reconstruction.”
Hours before Harris’ arrival, a couple dozen protesters gathered in Puerto Rico’s capital to decry the island’s territorial status and demand a cease-fire in the Israel-Hamas war.

“We find her presence disrespectful,” said Joselyn Velázquez, protest spokeswoman, as a group around her waved Palestinian flags.

Nearby, one demonstrator stood on a U.S. flag while others gathered additional U.S. flags and set them on fire.
“She is not welcome here,” said one protester.

After visiting the home in Canovanas, Harris stopped by a community center in San Juan where a handful of protesters gathered, yelling, “Yankee, go home!” as supporters chanted, “U.S.A.! U.S.A.!” One protester held a sign that said “Kamala Harris war criminal.”

Harris later spoke at a campaign reception before flying back to the U.S. mainland Friday evening.

She addressed about a couple dozen attendees gathered at an upscale apartment complex owned by developer Nicholas Prouty, who hosted the event. Harris thanked him and Pierluisi, noting that the governor “does not pass up the opportunity” to have a list of what Puerto Rico needs. “Mad respect,” she said.

Turning to the general election, Harris said, “We are going to win,” adding that “everything is at stake.”

“What we are looking at is fundamentally an election that’s going to require us each to answer a question,” Harris said. “What kind of country and world do we want to live in?”

Harris then talked about the “full-on attacks on fundamental rights” and said “but the thing about being a role model is people watch what you do to see if it matches what you say.”

She described Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, as someone who has expressed admiration of dictators and “someone who has, speaking of Puerto Rico, used words like dirty and poor and corrupt.”
___
Associated Press videographer Alejandro Granadillos contributed to this report.

This is why people need to show their work rather than just post vague references to try and defend their point of view.

Harris had both protestors and supporters there.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 09:37 AM)GMDino Wrote: I did read it.

https://apnews.com/article/kamala-harris-puerto-rico-protest-ae7f0add9b8df3d1f7e88239ac8a5839

Seems they are divided there as we are here, with many of the protestors wanting a cease fire in the Gaza Strip.

This is why people need to show their work rather than just post vague references to try and defend their point of view.

Harris had both protestors and supporters there.

Show their work? are you a child unable to use google? 
If i use a meme is that "showing" my work?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 09:52 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Show their work? are you a child unable to use google? 
If i use a meme is that "showing" my work?

Your post:

Implied that Harris was met with a less than warm welcome, as you had "warm" in quotes.

The actual story, that you didn't link, shows there were a "handful of protestors" (AP's words) who mostly were upset with the war in the Gaza Strip.  There were also supporters chanting "USA".

Yes, I am able to google...I did just that to show how your post was biased opinion versus the facts of what happened.

When I say "show your work" I mean if you are claiming something backs up your opinion then show it.  That gives other readers an chance to see the information versus just your opinion of it.

There was a former poster who would post "their" opinions here all the time that were literally just a copy and paste from other articles but they never provided the link, therefore implying all the thoughts were their own and not just supporting their own thoughts.

Sometimes a meme can convey a thought in a way words cannot.  

Sorry that it triggers you, as this isn't the first time you've commented about it.  Mellow 

Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 10:19 AM)GMDino Wrote: Your post:

Implied that Harris was met with a less than warm welcome, as you had "warm" in quotes.

The actual story, that you didn't link, shows there were a "handful of protestors" (AP's words) who mostly were upset with the war in the Gaza Strip.  There were also supporters chanting "USA".

Yes, I am able to google...I did just that to show how your post was biased opinion versus the facts of what happened.

When I say "show your work" I mean if you are claiming something backs up your opinion then show it.  That gives other readers an chance to see the information versus just your opinion of it.

There was a former poster who would post "their" opinions here all the time that were literally just a copy and paste from other articles but they never provided the link, therefore implying all the thoughts were their own and not just supporting their own thoughts.

Sometimes a meme can convey a thought in a way words cannot.  

Sorry that it triggers you, as this isn't the first time you've commented about it.  Mellow 

The original article was one i read from my phone and I post here from the Laptop.
They sang songs telling her to get out and because she doesn't know the language she clapped right along with them. I found that to be quite amusing.

I don't see the article from my PC, but the main reason they were chanting against her was because of some requirement that Biden did that has made it harder for the common person to get a home. Unfortuantely I can't recall or find exactly what that was, all these liberal sites aren't providing those details. 

But they are basically dividing the classes into upper and lower. You know that Inclusion thing.. I'm sure it'll pop up sooner or later. 
I work from home so i only post here when on break.
Reply/Quote