Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump issues warning to opponents
(03-15-2019, 09:54 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The right to refuse unlawful orders is in the Manual for Courts Martial.

In the oath we swear to obey the orders of the President, not the same as serving. We serve the people because we are the people’s military, not the President’s. The MCM protects the right to disobey an unlawful order. That rules stems from the defense of “I was only following orders”.  Pretty sure ordering politically motivated attacks falls under that.

What if you are given an unlawful order to defend the Constitution of the United States?

I suppose we'll just disagree on the point of if a Soldier swears to serve POTUS. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-15-2019, 08:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I missed that part of the oath.

But bottom line: A soldier does swear to serve POTUS. 

No. Yoji is right.  Soldiers serve the people and protect them, under a civilian led, constitution-based government.

Similarly, in the Weimar Republic, the Reichspraesident was the civilian commander in chief of the military.
Soldiers swore to obey all lawful orders under his command--as representative of and empowered by that state.

When Hitler came to power, this changed. From 1934 on, the military swore allegiance to Hitler PERSONALLY, the "Hitler Oath," because the separation between state and leader had ceased to exist. There were no "unlawful" orders after that, at least within the Third Reich's legal system.

This separation has not yet ceased to exist in the U.S., so our military members do not take a "Trump Oath" to serve him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]