Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump laughed at speaking at the UN
(09-27-2018, 03:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: NO, I get it. When Trump is disrespectful he should, nay, he NEEDS to be called out on it. I'm not saying he should be allowed to be disrespectful. What I'm saying is that that should go towards those who are disrespectful to HIM as well. The way I see it is that you're not necessarily showing respect to the person, but rather to the office. The president or prime minister or leader of a country is a position that one should have respect for.

Now, I recognize there is a difference if someone is being "disrespectful" in response to disrespect. If Trump or another foreign leader is being disrespectful to someone, that person should not be harrangued for returning said disrespect with their own "disrespect". But, if Trump or another foreign leader is NOT being disrespectful, then I believe their position affords them respect even if the individual may not necessarily deserve it otherwise.

Fair points, but they weren't laughing at the office; they were laughing at the guy talking about how his administration is the greatest in the history of the US.

He just said 'Nevermind Lincoln, Washington, JFK, Obama, Bush, Roosevelt... my administration did more than those guys in just two years!' 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-27-2018, 03:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Fair points, but they weren't laughing at the office; they were laughing at the guy talking about how his administration is the greatest in the history of the US.

He just said 'Nevermind Lincoln, Washington, JFK, Obama, Bush, Roosevelt... my administration did more than those guys in just two years!' 

I'd recon the anti-Trump question would be why he disrespects the office of US President so much that he makes a point to tell people that he's one of the best ever in a mere 2 years on the job.  It is interesting, though.  I'm sure we all know that person who makes a point to remind everyone how awesome he is at everything.  
(09-27-2018, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think they were laughing at what he was saying, not so much him.  

(09-27-2018, 03:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Fair points, but they weren't laughing at the office; they were laughing at the guy talking about how his administration is the greatest in the history of the US.

I get that, but still, it was a speech. And sure it may have been a nonsensical thing to say, but it still was a bit disrespectful to laugh out loud at that. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-27-2018, 03:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd recon the anti-Trump question would be why he disrespects the office of US President

I wouldn't categorize that as an "anti-Trump" question.
(09-27-2018, 03:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get that, but still, it was a speech. And sure it may have been a nonsensical thing to say, but it still was a bit disrespectful to laugh out loud at that. 

Did they laugh at his whole speech, or just the part where he was prattling on about how he's an elite president?
(09-27-2018, 03:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did they laugh at his whole speech, or just the part where he was prattling on about how he's an elite president?

IMO, it doesn't matter. You sit there quietly and then afterwards, you turn to your closest advisors and whisper, "What a douche". 
(09-27-2018, 03:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: IMO, it doesn't matter. You sit there quietly and then afterwards, you turn to your closest advisors and whisper, "What a douche". 

You gotta remember that a lot of people thought it was awesome when some dude threw a shoe at Bush.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-27-2018, 03:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get that, but still, it was a speech. And sure it may have been a nonsensical thing to say, but it still was a bit disrespectful to laugh out loud at that. 

I think we'll just go round and round about this. So I'll leave it at this. 

Tell a joke, expect to get at least a courtesy laugh.
(09-27-2018, 03:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: IMO, it doesn't matter. You sit there quietly and then afterwards, you turn to your closest advisors and whisper, "What a douche". 

What a boringly PC thing to do!
(09-27-2018, 04:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What a boringly PC thing to do!

That's why I don't go into politics. I'd rather sit back here and call everyone douches and jerks and hypocrites and etc. etc. to my heart's content.  Smirk

But now he says he intended it to be a joke.

So doesn't that mean it would be rude NOT to laugh at, er, I mean "with" him?
(09-27-2018, 06:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But now he says he intended it to be a joke.

So doesn't that mean it would be rude NOT to laugh at, er, I mean "with" him?

If he says he meant it as a joke, why, right after he said it, and everyone laughed, Trump said he wasn't expecting that response? When you tell a "joke", wouldn't you expect and hope for a response like that (laughter)?
(10-01-2018, 06:40 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: If he says he meant it as a joke, why, right after he said it, and everyone laughed, Trump said he wasn't expecting that response? When you tell a "joke", wouldn't you expect and hope for a response like that (laughter)?

Ok, giving a speech...let's see....I know!  I'll tell a joke and that'll get 'em laughing and ease the tension.

Ahem...I'm really awesome at my job!
*laughter*
Wait, I wasn't telling a joke yet!
Um...uh...I just flew in from my 1000th vacation weekend in Florida, and boy are my arms tired!