Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump laughed at speaking at the UN
Question: if it's wrong for Trump to show a lack of respect to others (which it is, BTW), especially other leaders, why is it wrong for other leaders to show a lack of respect to Trump?

I mean, I get the "reap what you sow" thing, but I was also taught the "two wrongs don't make a right" thing. So while Trump may deserve ridicule, I would think foreign leaders would at least show the OFFICE the respect it deserves, even if Trump doesn't deserve it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-26-2018, 01:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Question: if it's wrong for Trump to show a lack of respect to others (which it is, BTW), especially other leaders, why is it wrong for other leaders to show a lack of respect to Trump?

I mean, I get the "reap what you sow" thing, but I was also taught the "two wrongs don't make a right" thing. So while Trump may deserve ridicule, I would think foreign leaders would at least show the OFFICE the respect it deserves, even if Trump doesn't deserve it.

I think it's his hubris.  The old "The emperor has no clothes" thing.

He's so cocksure that people who know better feel free to laugh at him.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-25-2018, 07:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Typical Trump defender.  Did not even bother to read the comment that drew the laughs.

Stop and think a moment instead of parroting the comments from the echo chamber.  Wouldn't these representatives be upset and mad about him "Taking away their bread and cutting the fat"?  Why would they laugh about something like that?

I read just fine, even watched the video.
He has achieved a lot, just not quite as much as he thinks yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-26-2018, 01:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This has inspired me to convince myself that I was ridiculed in high school because I was the most popular person there.

And a whole fleet of guys driving over-sized trucks are rethinking every time a girl pointed and laughed.   Mellow
(09-26-2018, 01:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Question: if it's wrong for Trump to show a lack of respect to others (which it is, BTW), especially other leaders, why is it wrong for other leaders to show a lack of respect to Trump?

Was this done as a means to degrade and disrespect Trump/the office, or was it a legitimate knee-jerk response to the character he is playing?  Trump is very much a performer in his role of president, isn't he?  It all seems very emotional and bitterly whimsical in a very cynical way.  He says whatever he wants, regardless of how close it lands to reality, and some people find that...dare I say, worthy of a chuckle.

Trump to me is like Hue Jackson saying the Browns can win the Super Bowl.  I get what he is trying to do, I know why he is saying what he does, and I respect his position, but I don't blame people for laughing or scoffing at the statement. Hell, I'd even call it a sign of respect to the office of the president if you DON'T just sit there and pretend to be spellbound by the crap that a single man is spouting.
It's not easy to make the whole UN having a good laugh.

That's a kind of achievment.

And for those who said it was respectful or whatever : Nah ... He's our daily laughing stock.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Funny how "two wrongs don't make a right" is always said when karma strikes Republicans (Garland, Kav), or Trump (disrespect).

But when the Dems are taking the brunt of the attack, silence from these same people.

They can dish it but can't take it. Lames.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(09-25-2018, 09:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: OK?

Uh, No.  It is not okay when the rest of the world laughs at our leader.

And then makes himself look even dumber by saying "I did not expect that" then changing to "I intended that".

It is really amazing how his supporters have no problem with this.  If someone had written this up as a movie a couple of years ago everyone would have said "NEITHER party would be that stupid."

Foreign leaders show respect to leaders who deserve it.

When was the last time they laughed at ANY leader giving a speech at the UN?  I know there have been walk out protests and that sort of thing, but never a laughingstock like Trump.

Trump is such a clueless clown they can't help but laugh at him.
(09-26-2018, 06:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Foreign leaders show respect to leaders who deserve it.

When was the last time they laughed at ANY leader giving a speech at the UN?  I know there have been walk out protests and that sort of thing, but never a laughingstock like Trump.

Trump is such a clueless clown they can't help but laugh at him.

I'm sure I'll sound like I'm just piling on Trump for the sake of it, but it's hard to believe the first time the UN laughs at our president isn't connected to the fact that our country decided for the first time to eschew an experienced politician for a reality TV star.  We elected a guy who was infamous, gleefully inexperienced, and had a decades-long rapsheet of issues being truthful and now, just now the office of the president is coincidentally receiving an unfair amount of criticism. 

But hey, we've convinced ourselves that politicians are such incompetent, if not outright evil, crapbags that having a president who is ridiculed and disrespected is a sign that we are finally on the right track, right?
He's just delusional...it's kind of sad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/26/trump-united-nations-speech-they-were-laughing-me/1436376002/

Quote:Trump on world leaders laughing during UN speech: 'They were laughing with me'

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump called reports that world leaders laughed during his speech to the United Nations "fake news" during a news conference Wednesday. 

"They weren't laughing at me, they were laughing with me," Trump told reporters Wednesday. 

The president's speech Tuesday began with him saying his administration "has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country." 

The comment was followed by laughter from diplomats in the crowd and Trump saying, "I didn't expect that reaction, but that's OK." 

The president said the laughter was taken out of context and covered unfairly in the media. 

"Well that's fake news," the president said. "That's fake news and it was covered that way." 

He said the leaders "respect what I've done" and the crowd was having "a good time with me." 

"I said our country is now stronger than ever before, it's true," the president said. "And I heard a little rustle and I said it's true and I heard smiles." 

When laughter was heard, Trump says the crowd was laughing along with him. 

"We had fun," Trump said. "They weren't laughing at me."

Trump's message was an echo of comments made by UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, who said the laughs were made because world leaders love "how honest he is."

Haley said on Fox News that the press was wrong to portray the laughter as disrespectful to the president.

"They loved how honest he is," Haley said on the Fox and Friends show. "It’s not diplomatic and they find it funny."

She said diplomats were "falling over themselves" to get a picture with Trump and tell him "how great his speech was."

"They love that he’s honest with them and they’ve never seen anything like it, so there’s respect there," she said. "I saw that the media was trying to make it something disrespectful. That’s not what it was. They love to be with him."
"They weren't laughing at me, they were laughing with me," Trump told reporters Wednesday.
The president said the laughter was taken out of context and covered unfairly in the media.
"Well that's fake news," the president said. "That's fake news and it was covered that way."

Hilarious Hilarious
(09-27-2018, 06:33 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: "They weren't laughing at me, they were laughing with me," Trump told reporters Wednesday.

Hilarious  Hilarious

I suppose that makes more sense than asserting that the liberal media inserted an artificial laugh track to replace the wild applause Trump was receiving.
So if they were laughing "with him" that means his line about what he had accomplished is a joke even to him.

It depends on the instance.

If you tell the leader of Mexico "You're going to build us a wall" that's a sign of disrespect. On the other hand, I don't think it's disrespectful for the leader of Mexico to respond by laughing at you.

It's similar to if you make a list of demands from contemporaries (better trade agreements, denuclearization, building walls, leaving territories, etc.), then stand up in front of those countries and their allies and make a bunch of unfounded statements on how amazing you are... you should expect some of those people you insulted to laugh. 
(09-27-2018, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if they were laughing "with him" that means his line about what he had accomplished is a joke even to him.

It is a pretty weak way to spin things.  How often do you mention an actual achievement and then you and the person you are telling start laughing?  I informed my wife that I got a promotion at work and we both burst into laughter. Sounds legit.
(09-26-2018, 06:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Foreign leaders show respect to leaders who deserve it.

That's not how it's supposed to be. But, it's good to know that the next time Trump disrespects a foregin leader, all he has to say is that he didn't deserve respect and you'll be okay with it.  ThumbsUp
(09-27-2018, 03:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That's not how it's supposed to be. But, it's good to know that the next time Trump disrespects a foregin leader, all he has to say is that he didn't deserve respect and you'll be okay with it.  ThumbsUp

That's hard to say, because one of Trump's big selling points is that he isn't "business as usual" or that he isn't a politician and he doesn't kiss ass and so on and so forth.  You can't elect a guy who is completely against the grain because he will be and do things in a radically different way and then get upset when he isn't regarded in a manner befitting the tradition of the past and the position.

We wanted something so different, and now we have it, so it's a little naive to wonder why things aren't going the way they "used to be" or they way they are "supposed to be."  Then again, I'm not too up to date on my UN speeches.  It's entirely possible Bush or Obama told the UN that his administration was pretty much the best one ever and everyone agreed and applauded rather than laughed/groaned.

The short of it is "That's not how it's supposed to be" is probably the same thing the UN leaders were thinking when America elected Trump to be president.  We wanted this.  Not sense pining for tradition now.
(09-27-2018, 03:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's hard to say, because one of Trump's big selling points is that he isn't "business as usual" or that he isn't a politician and he doesn't kiss ass and so on and so forth.  You can't elect a guy who is completely against the grain because he will be and do things in a radically different way and then get upset when he isn't regarded in a manner befitting the tradition of the past and the position.

We wanted something so different, and now we have it, so it's a little naive to wonder why things aren't going the way they "used to be" or they way they are "supposed to be."  Then again, I'm not too up to date on my UN speeches.  It's entirely possible Bush or Obama told the UN that his administration was pretty much the best one ever and everyone agreed and applauded rather than laughed/groaned.

The short of it is "That's not how it's supposed to be" is probably the same thing the UN leaders were thinking when America elected Trump to be president.  We wanted this.  Not sense pining for tradition now.

NO, I get it. When Trump is disrespectful he should, nay, he NEEDS to be called out on it. I'm not saying he should be allowed to be disrespectful. What I'm saying is that that should go towards those who are disrespectful to HIM as well. The way I see it is that you're not necessarily showing respect to the person, but rather to the office. The president or prime minister or leader of a country is a position that one should have respect for.

Now, I recognize there is a difference if someone is being "disrespectful" in response to disrespect. If Trump or another foreign leader is being disrespectful to someone, that person should not be harrangued for returning said disrespect with their own "disrespect". But, if Trump or another foreign leader is NOT being disrespectful, then I believe their position affords them respect even if the individual may not necessarily deserve it otherwise.
(09-27-2018, 03:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: NO, I get it. When Trump is disrespectful he should, nay, he NEEDS to be called out on it. I'm not saying he should be allowed to be disrespectful. What I'm saying is that that should go towards those who are disrespectful to HIM as well. The way I see it is that you're not necessarily showing respect to the person, but rather to the office. The president or prime minister or leader of a country is a position that one should have respect for.

Now, I recognize there is a difference if someone is being "disrespectful" in response to disrespect. If Trump or another foreign leader is being disrespectful to someone, that person should not be harrangued for returning said disrespect with their own "disrespect". But, if Trump or another foreign leader is NOT being disrespectful, then I believe their position affords them respect even if the individual may not necessarily deserve it otherwise.

I think they were laughing at what he was saying, not so much him.  But honestly, it's hard to separate things like that.  The way I see it (and WRONG is my middle name, so take it as you will), Trump has a reputation of being a sleazy salesman that goes back decades and has been in full-force during his political spree.  So people expect him to confidently spout out laughably vague and self-serving rhetoric. and when he does laughter ensues.

So I'd assume it is a combination of who he is and what he said.  I think the reactions of people from countries that had no say in his election can be acting more in disbelief than disrespect.  I mean, Caligula appointed one of his horses to a political office.  I'm sure some people still respected the office, and some probably thought it was a disgrace of sorts.