Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump mocks Elizabeth Warren’s heritage AND #metoo
Not really going to comment on how Warren, her employer, or anyone else, used her purported Native American heritage to the advantage of anyone. I will say that my mother was adamant that her grandmother was of 100% Jewish ancestry. She would tell me that meant I was Jewish as Judaism runs through the matriarchal line. I never listed myself as Jewish on any college or employment application. I never listed myself as Jewish on any kind of survey or census. Reason being is I wasn't raised Jewish and didn't consider myself Jewish. A DNA test conducted last year showed I have literally nothing bu Western European, UK and Scandinavian DNA. Good thing I didn't attempt to use my "Jewish ancestry" to my advantage in my past. I'll add that her thinking this test exonerated her claim is inane.
(10-15-2018, 06:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure, she just listed herself as a minority for a decade in the directory. Good catch. 

Actually here's a report on the whole matter from a non-biased (according to the media bias website) that folks can read for themselves:

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/dec/01/facts-behind-elizabeth-warren-and-her-native-ameri/

I get Warren wanting to get out in front of this, but I'm not sure the report helped.

So the link you provided then linked to the follow up AFTER the DNA testing was done.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/oct/15/elizabeth-warrens-dna-test-what-it-can-and-cant-te/

Quote:The DNA test can’t prove every part of Warren’s family story, but the researchers we reached said it is consistent with her account.

[Image: warren-dna.jpg]

(10-15-2018, 08:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As i said: I do not think the test did Warren any favors and IMO she would have been better off letting that sleeping dog lie. It is obvious that she was less than truthful when she listed herself as a minority. She should have at least explained why she did that (a good PR writer could come up with something) instead of saying "see, I'm proud of our heritage". It reminds me of when Hills said the one thing she always carries is a bottle of hot sauce. 

Except you boy Trump keeps banging the drum about it.  He likes insulting people and he got called out and proven wrong...and so he denied offering one million dollars if she could prove it.

Besides that there is more to the story:

Quote:The video also includes clips of eight colleagues from various law schools who praise Warren as a scholar and vehemently deny that her background played any role in her hiring. 

Last month, Warren released to the Globe the contents of her personnel files from the universities where she has worked. In addition, the paper interviewed more than 100 colleagues and every person involved with her hirings that reporters were able to contact. 

The Globe's conclusion: "It is clear that Warren was viewed as a white woman by the hiring committees at every institution that employed her." 

She effectively slammed the door on one of Trump's favorite "insults" and you boys don't like it.  I get that.  It's ahd when your heroes are shown to be wrong.

Especially when you r hero is a huge liar every day.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-15-2018, 07:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I was and have been supporting him all along.

Not embarrassed at all, sometimes he's a little out there, but hey, like you, he's entitled to say what he wants, only difference is no one listens to you anyways. He's just talking shit to keep his name relevant in the media. He's not stupid, he's got half the US believing that half the media is fake, so when they report all this negative stuff about him, half don't believe it anyways and look at it as the media unfairly attacking the POTUS, so keep it going, he's just scoring more votes off the Media with out putting much effort into it.

The "only difference" is that the guy "saying what he wants" without thinking is president of the U.S.  Most of what he is "entitled" to say favors U.S. adversaries, not U.S. allies.   Why do you celebrate that?

And for once we agree--almost. Trump does have about one third of the U.S. believing reports about are "fake news." E.g., he also has that third believing he is a self made billionaire, a business genius who knows more than the generals  about foreign policy. But I don't share your joy at that manipulation of public opinion.  

(10-15-2018, 07:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: And that's some funny shit. The political mud slinging was going on long before Trump got into Office. He's just starting to take it to a WWF Level. And anyone that believe Warren is a Native American is a dumbass anyways. 7-10 Generations back!!!  HAHAHAHAHA

Trump-style presidential mud-slinging did not go on "long before Trump got into office."  No Leader of the U.S. has ever behaved this badly. And he doesn't even realize it. WWF is a good analogy.  Ignorant, undignified and fake. And in charge of the Executive Branch.

[Image: trump-mcmahon.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The whole situation with Trump and the $1 million is also silly. No, he didn't make a promise of the donation if Warren took the test. All of the media is making it seem like he did, but in the context it can be seen that he was talking about a hypothetical situation in a debate where he would offer it, but he wasn't making that promise to Warren at that moment. The media needs to STFU with this.

Now, were I advising Trump, I would be advising him to give money to the charity for the image of it. Those optics would be great and they would shut Warren up. The way he responded to it is just bad politics even if he isn't wrong.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Why did Warren even do this? She fake news'd her fake news. She drew science into it showing she has a ridiculously low percentage. Probably even lower than the average American. Plus she invited Real tribes to speak of her negatively.
Warren 2017: My grandparents had some Native American blood in them

Conservatives: She's lying, there's no proof!

DNA test 2018: Warren's grandparents' grandparents were Native American

Conservatives: THAT'S BARELY ANYTHING!!

lol...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(10-16-2018, 09:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The whole situation with Trump and the $1 million is also silly. No, he didn't make a promise of the donation if Warren took the test. All of the media is making it seem like he did, but in the context it can be seen that he was talking about a hypothetical situation in a debate where he would offer it, but he wasn't making that promise to Warren at that moment. The media needs to STFU with this.

Now, were I advising Trump, I would be advising him to give money to the charity for the image of it. Those optics would be great and they would shut Warren up. The way he responded to it is just bad politics even if he isn't wrong.

Yep, he said he "would if"...but that's typical Trump.  Always leave the out.

He doesn't care about the optics because even with DNA proof his minions don't believe any of it.   Now it's "not enough" of a percentage.

We have to stop thinking that the republicans who are on the Trump Train care about anything other than what Trump tells them.  His truth is the only truth.
(10-16-2018, 09:24 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Warren 2017: My grandparents had some Native American blood in them

lol...

They are all DNA/genealogy experts now too.
(10-16-2018, 09:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: They are all DNA/genealogy experts now too.

And experts in tribal membership. There are so many different ways that is done that nothing could be said for certain with regards to that. The person from the Cherokee nations (IIRC) said it proves nothing as far as membership, which is true. But even if that small amount at potentially 1/1024th were Cherokee and they could trace it back with the records, then in certain groups within the Cherokee nations she would be eligible for membership. DNA just does nothing to gain that.

Honestly, this is just the most asinine thing for people to be discussing right now because the hot takes are so very bad.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-16-2018, 09:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: And experts in tribal membership. There are so many different ways that is done that nothing could be said for certain with regards to that. The person from the Cherokee nations (IIRC) said it proves nothing as far as membership, which is true. But even if that small amount at potentially 1/1024th were Cherokee and they could trace it back with the records, then in certain groups within the Cherokee nations she would be eligible for membership. DNA just does nothing to gain that.

Honestly, this is just the most asinine thing for people to be discussing right now because the hot takes are so very bad.

But fits a right-wing narrative about "minorities" getting special treatment.  That's why it has had legs.

Of all the things someone can do listing "native american" has part of ones heritage is an issue that can rile up white boys who think they didn't get that teaching job at Harvard because of it.  Smirk

That's why Trump stays on it.  Not because it is important but because he can make fun of a "minority" while at the same time rile the base up that a minority got something "extra" that white people didn't get.

That's all it is.  And if anyone publicly called Trump out his minions will spin it as "they think we're ALL racist". 

So her getting some form of proof is the only thing she can do.  Now he can't make the claim legitimately to the general public even though his followers will believe it no matter what.
When it comes to bigoted attacks there's no stopping Trump supporters and their lust for it. Sorry Warren.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(10-16-2018, 09:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: And experts in tribal membership. There are so many different ways that is done that nothing could be said for certain with regards to that. The person from the Cherokee nations (IIRC) said it proves nothing as far as membership, which is true. But even if that small amount at potentially 1/1024th were Cherokee and they could trace it back with the records, then in certain groups within the Cherokee nations she would be eligible for membership. DNA just does nothing to gain that.

(10-16-2018, 10:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: But fits a right-wing narrative about "minorities" getting special treatment.  That's why it has had legs.

Of all the things someone can do listing "native american" has part of ones heritage is an issue that can rile up white boys who think they didn't get that teaching job at Harvard because of it.  Smirk

That's why Trump stays on it.  Not because it is important but because he can make fun of a "minority" while at the same time rile the base up that a minority got something "extra" that white people didn't get.

That's all it is.  And if anyone publicly called Trump out his minions will spin it as "they think we're ALL racist". 

So her getting some form of proof is the only thing she can do.  Now he can't make the claim legitimately to the general public even though his followers will believe it no matter what.

(10-16-2018, 10:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: When it comes to bigoted attacks there's no stopping Trump supporters and their lust for it. Sorry Warren.

You guys do realize who had the study done and who brought the results of the DNA study into this thread to give us "more asinine things to talk about" don't you? So trying to lump this one in with the usual "cause Trump" has about as much merit as the rest. 

What did Warren prove by releasing the results? That she was right when she listed her self as a minority? That Trump was wrong for pointing it out? That she truly is Native American? As I said this test most likely hurt her more than it helped; she should have just rolled with folks understanding that Trump just talks out his ass from time to time instead of this "proof" that she truly is Native American.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-16-2018, 09:24 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Warren 2017: My grandparents had some Native American blood in them

lol...

Warren 1990: I'm a minority

Conservatives: You are not

DNA test 2018: There's strong evidence that there was a Native American ancestry 6-10 generations ago

Liberals: See, she is Native American and a minority

lol....  

(10-16-2018, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Warren 1990: I'm a minority

Conservatives: You are not

DNA test 2018: There's strong evidence that there was a Native American ancestry 6-10 generations ago

Liberals: See, she is Native American and a minority

lol....  

Out of curiosity, did anyone here actually call her a NA or minority?

It does make for a humorous distraction to anything of actual importance that might be happening..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(10-16-2018, 12:01 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Out of curiosity, did anyone here actually call her a NA or minority?

Well your last post points to it proving her claims; wouldn't you agree? 

(10-16-2018, 12:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well your last post points to it proving her claims; wouldn't you agree? 

Yes, her claim that her grandparents had Native American blood, as I wrote. 

(10-16-2018, 12:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yes, her claim that her grandparents had Native American blood, as I wrote. 

I think the Right has a bigger issue with her claiming minority status. Her talk of Grandparents was just anecdotal "evidence" to prove this claim. Folks trying to assert this anecdotal evidence is/was correct are try to excuse her claims of minority status; wouldn't you agree?

FWIW the Cherokee Nation is not overly impressed with the test:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/cherokee-nation-calls-elizabeth-warren-230334339.html

Quote:The Cherokee Nation called Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s DNA test to prove her Native American ancestry “inappropriate and wrong” in a statement Monday.

(10-16-2018, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the Right has a bigger issue with her claiming minority status. Her talk of Grandparents was just anecdotal "evidence" to prove this claim. Folks trying to assert this anecdotal evidence is/was correct are try to excuse her claims of minority status; wouldn't you agree?

That story is almost as cute as when HRC told an interviewer that she was named after a famous mountain climber.  (who had yet to make any noteworthy climbs by the time of her birth) Or, when Blumenthol tells us about his heroics in the Vietnam War..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(10-16-2018, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the Right has a bigger issue with her claiming minority status. Her talk of Grandparents was just anecdotal "evidence" to prove this claim. Folks trying to assert this anecdotal evidence is/was correct are try to excuse her claims of minority status; wouldn't you agree?

No one voiced concern about her claiming minority status until yesterday when you brought up something from the early 90's. Now that she has evidence that her family's anecdotal evidence is true, there seems to be some goal post moving from "she doesn't have NA heritage" to "she can't claim to be a minority because her heritage is so small".

It's a logical fallacy to suggest that one is defending herself and Harvard using a "minority" label when they point out that her critics were wrong when they suggested she made up her family's background.