Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump on 60 minutes
I haven't read the entire transcript yet but this caught my eye:

Quote:Donald Trump: I don't want to say tax anything. I'm talking about a fair war. I'm talking about also, I have the smartest people on Wall Street lined up already. They're going to represent us on Japan, on Mexico. Mexico, by the way, is taking our jobs. I love the Mexican people. They're great people. But the leadership is too smart for our country. Ford Motor Company, moving a $2.5 billion plant to Mexico. Mexico--

Scott Pelley: But there's nothing you can do about that as president.

Donald Trump: Sure there is.

Scott Pelley: How do you keep them from exporting American jobs to Mexico?

Donald Trump: Let's say Ford-- let's say Ford moves to Mexico. If they want to sell that car in the United States they pay a tax. Here's what's gonna happen, they're not going to build their plant there. They're going to build it in the United States.

Scott Pelley: But there is a North American Free Trade Agreement.

Donald Trump: And there shouldn't be. It's a disaster.

Scott Pelley: But it is there.

Donald Trump: OK, yeah, but--

Scott Pelley: If you're president, you're going to have to live with it.

Donald Trump: Excuse me, we will either renegotiate it or we will break it. Because, you know, every agreement has an end.

Scott Pelley: You can't just break the law.

Donald Trump: Excuse me, every agreement has an end. Every agreement has to be fair. Every agreement has a defraud clause. We're being defrauded by all these countries.

Scott Pelley: It's called free trade--

Donald Trump: No it's not.

Scott Pelley: --and it is a plank--

Donald Trump: It's not the--

Scott Pelley: --of the Republican platform.

Donald Trump: Scott we need fair trade. Not free trade. We need fair trade. It's gotta be fair.

So he has the best Wall Street people (who he says need taxed more) working for him.

And he's not going to tax imports...unless Ford wants to import a car built in Mexico.

And he'll just break the "agreements" because, hey, President.

I wonder if every agreement he makes with someone who later sues him for breaking the agreements had to be "fair"? Smirk

He thinks he's being elected CEO and the fools who like a "straight shooter" can't see how ineffective he would be when people can tell him "no"...and all he can do is call them names.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
It doesn't matter that he is literally campaigning on "fairness" over free trade, because he is running as a Republican. Republicans will still vote for him and Democrats won't because it's the party that matters, not the substance or policies.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(09-28-2015, 08:10 AM)6andcounting Wrote: It doesn't matter that he is literally campaigning on "fairness" over free trade, because he is running as a Republican. Republicans will still vote for him and Democrats won't because it's the party that matters, not the substance or policies.

I'm not sure why even Republicans would vote for him.  I'm not sure why any sane person would vote for him.

Wait...
Not on the guy in general, I think he's an idiot, but on doing away with NAFTA... good. He's right. It's a horrible piece of legislation whose only intent was to provide a small group of businesses with a larger profit margin. Some lawmakers went alone with it because of lobbyists, some were gullible enough to think if you reduce a company expenses it will lower the cost of the product or reinvest that extra income.

All it did was reduce jobs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-28-2015, 11:25 AM)Benton Wrote: Not on the guy in general, I think he's an idiot, but on doing away with NAFTA... good. He's right. It's a horrible piece of legislation whose only intent was to provide a small group of businesses with a larger profit margin. Some lawmakers went alone with it because of lobbyists, some were gullible enough to think if you reduce a company expenses it will lower the cost of the product or reinvest that extra income.

Massively agree !

NAFTA was the biggest piece of garbage ever produced.
Ross Perot was right and millions owe him an apology.

If Trump only run on the fact that he definitely had a way to eliminate NAFTA, he'd have my vote.

Other than that, I'm not a supporter.
(09-28-2015, 11:25 AM)Benton Wrote: Not on the guy in general, I think he's an idiot, but on doing away with NAFTA... good. He's right. It's a horrible piece of legislation whose only intent was to provide a small group of businesses with a larger profit margin. Some lawmakers went alone with it because of lobbyists, some were gullible enough to think if you reduce a company expenses it will lower the cost of the product or reinvest that extra income.

And what's funny is I can agree with bits and pieces of what he says...its just that he has no plan to change it and he's so out there with "we're just gonna do and no one can stop us and it will be perfect and wonderful" that it makes "Hope and Change" look docile.
I was going to start a thread on this because I was in love with the interview.

Trump sounds ruthless, but it's because he's going to quit sugar-coating things and play hardball to get this country back where it needs to be.

People say he's for the wealthy, but he wants to eliminate income tax on the middle class and raise it on the wealthy. He wants to stop sending jobs to other countries and give companies incentives to give workers jobs in this country.

He wants to eliminate that joke called Obamacare and has a plan for healthcare all around.

He has a plan for immigration.

There were other points, and I don't see how people can not be confident in putting this guy in office.

I see people saying "he hates Mexican people, blah blah blah," but that's not true at all, he just wants to control immigration and make people come here legally. Sorry for wanting to do the right thing?
(09-28-2015, 11:56 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was going to start a thread on this because I was in love with the interview.

Trump sounds ruthless, but it's because he's going to quit sugar-coating things and play hardball to get this country back where it needs to be.

People say he's for the wealthy, but he wants to eliminate income tax on the middle class and raise it on the wealthy.  He wants to stop sending jobs to other countries and give companies incentives to give workers jobs in this country.  

He wants to eliminate that joke called Obamacare and has a plan for healthcare all around.

He has a plan for immigration.

There were other points, and I don't see how people can not be confident in putting this guy in office.

I see people saying "he hates Mexican people, blah blah blah," but that's not true at all, he just wants to control immigration and make people come here legally.  Sorry for wanting to do the right thing?

If you actually dig around you will see he has no real plan just a bunch of hyperbole. If he get the Republican nod, the Republicans will lose and it won't even matter who the Democrats run out there. I hope they figure it out and put an end to this side show.
(09-28-2015, 08:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm not sure why even Republicans would vote for him.  I'm not sure why any sane person would vote for him.

Wait...

I assume Republicans will vote for him if they see him as the Republican who has the best chance of winning.  
(09-28-2015, 12:22 PM)Au165 Wrote:  If you actually dig around you will see he has no real plan just a bunch of hyperbole.

Like pretty much every politician out there.  I think he's a clown, but this meme is being overplayed because the liberal and conservative media hate him.  The fact is, he has about as much of a plan for all this as anyone else out there running.

Even then, you rarely get detailed plans from candidates....more so in the general which is about 10 months away from the serious campaigning, but not at this stage of the race.  And a lot of times, the "plan" isn't much more than a few bullet points added to the general talking point.  Not to mention the fact the POTUS doesn't make law (or isn't supposed to), so such "plans" are little more than pointless detail outlining what you would LIKE Congress to do.

And Trump is being hammered for not having advisers pegged.  Again, most of those people don't even get named until after the general election.
(09-28-2015, 01:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Like pretty much every politician out there.  I think he's a clown, but this meme is being overplayed because the liberal and conservative media hate him.  The fact is, he has about as much of a plan for all this as anyone else out there running.

Even then, you rarely get detailed plans from candidates....more so in the general which is about 10 months away from the serious campaigning, but not at this stage of the race.  And a lot of times, the "plan" isn't much more than a few bullet points added to the general talking point.  Not to mention the fact the POTUS doesn't make law (or isn't supposed to), so such "plans" are little more than pointless detail outlining what you would LIKE Congress to do.

And Trump is being hammered for not having advisers pegged.  Again, most of those people don't even get named until after the general election.

Confused

No...h'es pretty bad:

Quote:Scott Pelley: Who are you going to raise taxes on?

Donald Trump: If you look at actually raise, some very wealthy are going to be raised. Some people that are getting unfair deductions are going to be raised. But overall it's going to be a tremendous incentive to grow the economy and we're going to take in the same or more money. And I think we're going to have something that's going to be spectacular.

Scott Pelley: But Republicans don't raise taxes.

Donald Trump: Well, we're not raising taxes.

Quote:Scott Pelley: You're talking about cutting corporate income taxes?

Donald Trump: That is correct.

Scott Pelley: But there's a $19 trillion federal debt.

Donald Trump: That's right. We're gonna grow the economy so much--

Scott Pelley: You can't afford to do those things--

Donald Trump: --no, no, but if the economy grows the way it should grow, if I bring jobs back from China, from Japan, from Mexico, from so many countries, everybody's taking our jobs.

Scott Pelley: How do you get 'em back?

Donald Trump: You get 'em back--

Scott Pelley: Those $20 an hour jobs that this country was built on.

Donald Trump: Right. Exactly. You get 'em back by taking them away from other countries. I mean, if you look at China, we have--

Scott Pelley: How does the president do that?

Donald Trump: Well, the president does it by not allowing places like China to devaluate, you know, they devalue their currency, Scott, to such an extent that it's impossible for our companies to compete every time they do that, they suck the blood right out of our country.

Scott Pelley: You're not running for president of China.

Donald Trump: No, I'm running--

Scott Pelley: You're not going to be able to prevent the devaluation of the currency.

Donald Trump: Oh absolutely. Sure you are, sure you are. Look, they don't respect our president. They don't respect our country. They will respect me. They won't be doing it. But here's what we have to do. If they don't come to the table, they're going to have a tax when they put their products into this country. And they're going to behave.

Quote:Donald Trump: So I want to build our country. Our country's been decimated. We have spent so much money in the Middle East and other places. We-- our roads are falling apart, our bridges are falling apart. Everything's falling apart. We have to rebuild our country.

Scott Pelley: This sounds great. How are you going to pay for it?

Donald Trump: We're going to absolutely be able to pay for it. My economy will expand so rapidly-- we're going to take jobs back from other countries. And we will be able to pay for it

Quote:Donald Trump: First of all, I have to start a little bit differently. We're going to build a wall and we're going to create a border. It's going to be a great wall and it's not going to be very expensive. And it's going to be peanuts compared to the kind of numbers, you know?

Scott Pelley: How are you going to build a wall--

Donald Trump: It's called management.

Scott Pelley: --that is cheap and impenetrable?

Donald Trump: It will be a real wall. It'll be a wall that works. It'll actually be a wall that will look good, believe it or not. 'Cause what they have now is a joke. They're-- they're ugly, little and don't work.

And it goes on and on...
(09-28-2015, 01:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Like pretty much every politician out there.  I think he's a clown, but this meme is being overplayed because the liberal and conservative media hate him.  The fact is, he has about as much of a plan for all this as anyone else out there running.

Agreed, for the most part. Nobody has things lined out to the detail some people are calling for. I think Trump is taking lumps on it for not knowing the right things to say. Like Meet the Press (I think it was) when he was asked who he gets and would get military advice and Trump answered he watches news shows. The politicians he's running against know to rattle off answers about senate committee's or department heads or the other ways lawmakers get briefed.
(09-28-2015, 01:34 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed, for the most part. Nobody has things lined out to the detail some people are calling for. I think Trump is taking lumps on it for not knowing the right things to say. Like Meet the Press (I think it was) when he was asked who he gets and would get military advice and Trump answered he watches news shows. The politicians he's running against know to rattle off answers about senate committee's or department heads or the other ways lawmakers get briefed.

If he's really serious, he needs to start saying that he'd spend his own money for top advisors on all matters.
It might also help if he revealed just who those people are that he would call upon.
I know it's tough to draw up plans, but if we knew the mindset of the people he intended to work with, it might define his intentions and spirit support.

Here is my problem, the hyperbole centers around the idea he thinks he can bully other countries into submission, and that he will pay for all these things (wall, tax cuts, massive millitary) with a magically rejuvenated economy. The idea that you can force jobs back (a much more complex problem then he likes to admit) and the economy will spike over night is comical. He will not be able to bully China or Mexico into doing anything he claims he will. The idea of a massive wall is not only xenophobic, but a massive drain on our finances that will require continuing maintenance and management. To think you can simply go to China and tell them what to do is comical. No they are not going to do anything to N Korea, No they are not going to stop devaluing their currency, for him to even think he has that power leads to the root problem.

Donald Trump is a narcissist. Donald Trump thinks he can do whatever he wants because he has his whole privileged life. I don't mind politicians being vague at this point, but to so naive to how world wide politics work is just sad. People who want to buy into the rhetoric will quickly find out it is all hot air. He can't run roughshod over the entire world. He fails to realize he isn't running for CEO of the world.
(09-28-2015, 01:34 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed, for the most part. Nobody has things lined out to the detail some people are calling for. I think Trump is taking lumps on it for not knowing the right things to say. Like Meet the Press (I think it was) when he was asked who he gets and would get military advice and Trump answered he watches news shows. The politicians he's running against know to rattle off answers about senate committee's or department heads or the other ways lawmakers get briefed.

Exactly.  What's Fiorina's tax plan?  Ben Carson, LOL (Tithe!).   Hillary I think actually has something, but she's had her staff assembled and on the foundation payroll since like 2008.

It's not really a gotcha question, but they're being a lot tougher on Trump and making him accountable for it because they want him to go away.  Well, that and probably also because he's generally an asshole and deserves to be treated unfairly.
(09-28-2015, 01:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: The idea that you can force jobs back (a much more complex problem then he likes to admit) and the economy will spike over night is comical. He will not be able to bully China or Mexico into doing anything he claims he will.

So your issue with him getting tough on fair trade is it's more bullshit and ineffective than the usual soak the rich/cut taxes spiel?

Probably not as exciting or promising as building a new economy around green jobs, but it couldn't possibly be less effective.
(09-28-2015, 02:07 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Exactly.  What's Fiorina's tax plan?  Ben Carson, LOL (Tithe!).   Hillary I think actually has something, but she's had her staff assembled and on the foundation payroll since like 2008.

It's not really a gotcha question, but they're being a lot tougher on Trump and making him accountable for it because they want him to go away.  Well, that and probably also because he's generally an asshole and deserves to be treated unfairly.

And it creates a buzz. Every time someone meme's or links a reporter making him look like an idiot, that news source's ratings get bumped. That's partly why people aren't talking as much about anyone on the Dem side. They don't have anything to talk about other than the issues, which people don't want to actually hear.
(09-28-2015, 02:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: So your issue with him getting tough on fair trade is it's more bullshit and ineffective than the usual soak the rich/cut taxes spiel?

Probably not as exciting or promising as building a new economy around green jobs, but it couldn't possibly be less effective.

"because I say so" is not a plan for making something happen. That is a pipe dream and a joke of a "plan". Watch the interview and read the transcript, his "plan" is to try and bully people and it won't work.

The guy will not win the presidency, so it is a moot point. The question is will the Republican party give away the election by putting him up? He has alienated too many people to be a player in the actual election. He won't carry the Female or minority vote which means he has no real shot unless the democrats completely mess up. They need to find a better candidate than Trump and need to do so fast before the sideshow gets more steam.
(09-28-2015, 02:27 PM)Benton Wrote: And it creates a buzz. Every time someone meme's or links a reporter making him look like an idiot, that news source's ratings get bumped. That's partly why people aren't talking as much about anyone on the Dem side. They don't have anything to talk about other than the issues, which people don't want to actually hear.

The problem is that all this exposure could land Trump in the White House. There are ways to basically discredit someone in an election campaign, but given Trump's style, all of this just plays right into his hands.
(09-28-2015, 02:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: "because I say so" is not a plan for making something happen.

It actually is.  What he's telling you, in his very direct and unpolished manner, is that this is what he wants out of a negotiation.  And if he doesn't get it then he's cutting off aid, he's ripping up agreements on technical breaches, and he's imposing tariffs and other retaliatory trade actions.

All that he CAN do, and has more or less said that.  Disagree it will work and believe it's bad policy, but stop buying the lazy and ignorant reporting that says he somehow has less of a plan than others and can't do anything he's saying.  And I suspect part of the reason for his surge is while everyone standing around crying "you can't do that, that won't work!" others are saying "we haven't tried that and what we did didn't work!".

Like I said, I think he's a clown.  But it's interesting to me that he is making a number of good points and talking about some important issues that most politicians have avoided talking about, and the response from the lapdog establishment media is to dismiss him and convince you he's not actually saying anything.

Again, it's just humorous because what Trump is basically talking about is protectionism - even going so far as to use that liberal buzzword "fair trade" - and promising middle class tax cuts wholly unsupported by some trivial tax increases on the wealthy.  The mainstream media would be eating this up coming from Bernie Sanders or Hillary, but with Trump it's suddenly unworkable hyperbole.