Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ending Veteran Homelessness
I know I missed posting something about this yesterday, but I wanted to share this with you all. http://mic.com/articles/128320/virginia-just-became-the-first-state-in-the-us-to-end-veteran-homelessness#.x61ixiIIt

Virginia has had some major efforts in regards to homelessness in general, but some serious attention has been paid to homeless veterans. I complain (a lot) about our government in my state and some of the things they do, but this made me have some pride for the Old Dominion.

Quote:The fight to end homelessness among veterans has hit a major milestone: Virginia has become the first state in the nation to functionally eliminate veteran homelessness within in its borders.

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a Democrat, announced Wednesday his state has met the federal definition of ending homelessness, meaning there are no veterans who lack housing, except for those who have refused an offer. The benchmark also means that state has the resources to take in any veterans who want housing in the future within 90 days.

Virginia, which has the seventh largest veteran population in the country, has matched more than 1,400 homeless veterans with permanent housing in the past year, McAuliffe's office said.
That's amazing. Thanks for posting.

I volunteered a lot with the VA growing up and know how hard a lot of the homeless outreach workers try to help those veterans. The VA as an institution takes a lot of shit, but there are some very compassionate individuals working from within that bureaucratic wasteland who do their very best.

Very cool to see efforts like these on a state level.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Great stuff thanks for posting. Nice to hear some good news