Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Trump owes $83.3 million in damages to E Jean Carroll
The punitive damages tell the tale of a man who can't stop himself. Took only a couple of hours to come to a verdict

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Verdict in Carroll v. Trump<br><br>Jury says Donald Trump must pay E. Jean Carroll:<br><br>COMPENSATORY:<br>Other than reputation repair program: $7.3M<br>Reputation repair program: $11M<br><br>PUNITIVE: $65M<br><br>TOTAL: $83.3M</p>&mdash; erica orden (@eorden) <a href="https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1750997240376668374?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2024</a></blockquote>

erica orden
@eorden
Verdict in Carroll v. Trump

Jury says Donald Trump must pay E. Jean Carroll:

COMPENSATORY:
Other than reputation repair program: $7.3M
Reputation repair program: $11M

PUNITIVE: $65M

TOTAL: $83.3M

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The verdict was unanimous. 9-0.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
If I were the judge I'd get creative and say that the fine is to be considered student loans, that way conservatives would insist Trump knew what he was getting into and they would take it as a personal insult if he didn't pay ever damned cent.

I kid, they'll just open their wallets and either pay it for him and/or she will never see a dime. You're better off being a rich guy who is fined millions than you are being a regular schlub who owes someone a few thousand bucks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Personally I can't wait for all the people saying this is excessive and politically motivated.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
He's a billionnaire, it's pocket money for him.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
So he owes $83 million to the women he raped and defamed?

Sounds like a quality presidential candidate, the type of guy we want leading our country (says the cult members).
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 10:31 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So he owes $83 million to the women he raped and defamed?

Sounds like a quality presidential candidate, the type of guy we want leading our country (says the cult members).

I'm sure it's just an all Democrat jury, paid off by Biden and Soros. Witch hunt! 
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 10:31 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So he owes $83 million to the women he raped and defamed?

I’m sorry. Sexual assault. Not rape. Wouldn’t want to slander such a model citizen.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 11:06 PM)jmccracky Wrote: I'm sure it's just an all Democrat jury, paid off by Biden and Soros. Witch hunt! 

I hope this was a joke, otherwise I pity you.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 03:33 AM)Stewy Wrote: I hope this was a joke, otherwise I pity you.

I think Trump is the anti-Christ if there ever is one. If that clears things up? I gotta work on my sarcasm.  Tongue
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 05:18 AM)jmccracky Wrote: I think Trump is the anti-Christ if there ever is one. If that clears things up? I gotta work on my sarcasm.  Tongue

Good.  Glad you now among the lost.
Reply/Quote
He can, and will, appeal of course.

Unfortunately that means he needs to put some money up front in case he loses.

Better get out there buying some merch you guys!

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4433642-trump-can-delay-paying-full-e-jean-carroll-damages-until-after-appeal-report/

Quote:Trump can delay paying full E. Jean Carroll damages until after appeal: report
BY [/url]LAUREN IRWIN - 01/27/24 5:01 PM ET

[url=https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fregulation%2Fcourt-battles%2F4433642-trump-can-delay-paying-full-e-jean-carroll-damages-until-after-appeal-report%2F&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F2%2F2024%2F01%2F65a0a20615ff48.29029668.jpeg%3Fw%3D900&title=Trump%20can%20delay%20paying%20full%20E.%20Jean%20Carroll%20damages%20until%20after%20appeal%3A%20report&description=Former%20President%20Trump%20can%20delay%20paying%20E.%20Jean%20Carroll%20the%20%2483.3%20million%20a%20jury%20decided%20he%20owes%20her%20until%20after%20he%20exhausts%20all%20appeal%20options%20he%20has%20vowed%20to%20seek%2C%20The%20New%20York%20Times%20reports.%20On%20Friday%2C%20a%20federal%20jury%20in%20New%20York%20ordered%20Trump%20to%20pay%20Carroll%20for%20defaming%20her%20in%202019%20when%20he%26hellip%3B]SHARE
TWEET

[Image: 65a0a20615ff48.29029668.jpeg?w=2000&ssl=1]Former President Donald Trump speaks after his defense team finished presenting closing arguments at New York Supreme Court, Thursday, Jan. 11, 2024, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Former President Trump can delay paying E. Jean Carroll the $83.3 million a jury decided he owes her until after he exhausts all appeal options he has vowed to seek, The New York Times reports.

On Friday, a federal jury in New York ordered Trump to pay Carroll for defaming her in 2019 when he denied her accusation that he sexually assaulted her in the 1990s.

After the decision, he announced he would be appealing the “absolutely ridiculous” ruling.

The former president and business mogul can pay the millions of dollars to the court, which would hold the money while the appeal is pending, notes the Times.

The decision Friday adds to the previous sum of $5 million Trump was ordered to pay Carroll after a verdict found him liable for sexually abusing the columnist and defaming her over a separate comment. Trump appealed the decision last year and avoided paying Carroll the money right away at the time.

Trump also could attempt to secure a bond, which saves him from having to pay her the full amount up front, the Times report noted. He may have to pay a deposit and offer collateral that would come with interest and fees — but it also means he would have to find someone willing to lend him the significant sum of money.

The former president, who is the front runner for the GOP primary, made a point of showing up to the trial although he was not required to attend. He often picked the courtroom over the campaign trail, except for one day when he attended his mother-in-law’s funeral. Throughout the proceedings, Trump was once threatened by the judge to be kicked out of the courtroom, and then later stormed out during Carroll’s closing arguments.

The trial had inevitably become intertwined with the primary race, as have the several other legal cases Trump is juggling as he campaigns for president for the third time.

The Times report said the former president has avoided spending his own money on his various legal battles, tapping into his political action committee’s funds to pay for the trials’ various fees. The newest sum, though, is much larger than the amount in his political accounts and will require him to “reach into his own pocket,” the outlet reported.
Reply/Quote
This whole fine comes down to the fact that Donald Trump has zero self-control. Remember that this fine is not for the sexual assault but for his on-gong defamation of E Jean Carroll. Trump doesn't know when to shut up. No one said he couldn't defend himself but you do that by saying it wasn't true. He, as usual, goes overboard and calls her demeaning and ugly names and as a result, his MAGA cult followers joined in the attacks. It is much the same thing as Guiliani and the election workers. They crossed the line and instead of shutting up when they should have they kept opening their fat traps

Every time he attacked her verbally, written, or via social media was equaled to dollars it cost him, He was even attacking her in the same manner DURING the trial. He's always been able to talk himself out of real consequences before...this time talking reflected in the consequences.

Reply/Quote
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4517346-judge-refuses-to-delay-trumps-83m-judgment-in-carroll-defamation-case/

Quote:Judge refuses to delay Trump’s $83M judgment in Carroll defamation case 
BY [/url]ZACH SCHONFELD - 03/07/24 5:50 PM ET

A federal judge on Thursday rejected former President Trump’s request to delay the $83.3 million judgment in advice columnist [url=https://thehill.com/people/e-jean-carroll-2/]E. Jean Carroll’s 
defamation lawsuit, refusing to give Trump more time to post a bond with the deadline only a few days away.

The former president and near-certain GOP nominee has mounted efforts to postpone the judgments in both Carroll’s lawsuit and the New York attorney general’s sprawling fraud prosecution, with Trump staring down hundreds of millions in penalties between the two civil cases. 

Thursday’s ruling hands a loss to Trump by maintaining default rules that enable enforcement of the judgment in Carroll’s lawsuit as early as next week, effectively making it Trump’s deadline to post a bond.  

“Mr. Trump’s current situation is a result of his own dilatory actions,” U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote in his ruling. 

A federal jury sitting in New York ordered Trump to pay the eight-figure sum for defaming Carroll by denying her story when she came forward in 2019 to accuse the then-president of sexual assault decades earlier. Last year, a separate jury had found Trump liable for sexually abusing the advice columnist. 

Under standard practice, Trump’s lawyers have said Trump’s bond amount would total $91.63 million as he appeals the January verdict. 

Trump in recent days has filed motions seeking a new trial in the case or to get the damages reduced. Trump had demanded Kaplan, appointed to the bench by former President Clinton, delay the judgment until 30 days after the judge rules on those motions or alternatively reduce the bond amount to $24.475 million. 

Kaplan has not yet ruled on that delay request, but on Thursday, the judge denied Trump’s more recent demand for an administrative stay in the meantime to punt Saturday’s deadline. 

“This is a continuation of a totally lawless witch hunt,” Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung said in a statement. “President Trump filed a timely motion to stay the ridiculous judgment, and many courts, including the Second Circuit, recognize the importance of temporary administrative stays while such motions are considered. We look forward to continuing to litigate the case and to complete vindication of the truth.”

Carroll’s lawyers opposed the former president’s request to delay the judgment or reduce his bond amount, expressing concerns that Trump wouldn’t actually pay up. 

“He simply asks the Court to ‘trust me’ and offers, in a case with an $83.3 million judgment against him, the court filing equivalent of a paper napkin; signed by the least trustworthy of borrowers,” they wrote to the judge. 

Trump’s lawyers pushed back, noting that Carroll’s team had highlighted to the jury Trump’s own claims about the size of his wealth, a strategy aimed at upping the total damages.  

Carroll’s lawyers were using a “fast-and-loose approach to the facts,” wrote Trump attorneys Alina Habba and D. John Sauer. 

Sauer was added as an attorney on the case following the trial. Sauer is also representing Trump as he appeals his presidential immunity defense from his federal election subversion charges, as well as Trump’s appeal of a gag order imposed in that case. 

Reply/Quote
He put up the bond on Friday

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 08:15 AM)pally Wrote: He put up the bond on Friday

Indeed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/08/trump-posts-91point6-million-bond-appeals-e-jean-carroll-verdict.html

Quote:The bond was issued by Federal Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Chubb Insurance Company, based in Chesapeake, Virginia, according to a copy of the document Trump signed. It represents 110% of the total damages awarded to Carroll in the case, which reflects the fact that the damage award is increased by 9% annually under New York law.

A court filing about the bond did not reveal how much Trump either paid, or put up as collateral, to obtain it.

Chubb’s chairman and CEO, Evan Greenberg, in 2018 was appointed by Trump to the U.S. Trade Representative’s “Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations.” Greenberg is no longer on that panel.

Chubb is referenced in another major Trump legal matter: the New York civil business fraud case in which Trump has been ordered to pay more than $450 million for lying on financial forms about his net worth and property values.

The lawsuit by New York’s attorney general that led to those damages said that Trump misrepresented the size of his Trump Tower triplex apartment to a Chubb appraiser, who had gone to the unit in 2010 as part of the underwriting process for a homeowner’s insurance policy.

Trump, who personally conducted a walk-through tour of the apartment, kept the master bedroom and a dressing room off limits because “Mrs. Trump was sleeping,” the appraiser wrote, according to the suit.

The appraiser also noted that there was little time to take measurements of the property, because the appointment “was conducted at a speed directed by Mr. Trump,” who had allotted only about 15 minutes for the review, the suit alleged.

Trump told the appraiser that he thought the triplex was about 25,000 to 30,000 square feet, according to suit. But the actual size was 10,996 square feet.

Kaplan gave Carroll’s attorneys until Monday morning to submit any opposition to Trump’s proposed bond and court order. If there is a disagreement about Trump’s requests, the parties will argue before Kaplan on Monday afternoon.

A spokesman for Carroll’s attorneys, asked if they would object to the bond proposal, told CNBC, “will have to wait and see.”
Reply/Quote
HOW IT STARTED: Trump is the only politician who can't be bought!

HOW IT'S GOING: Trump given $90,000,000 bond for legal judgment before next election
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 09:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: HOW IT STARTED:  Trump is the only politician who can't be bought!

HOW IT'S GOING: Trump given $90,000,000 bond for legal judgment before next election

And he may need more...

[Image: Screenshot-2024-03-09-214933.png]

https://x.com/KevinlyFather/status/1766621584897495472?s=20
Reply/Quote
We all know Trump is his own biggest enemy. If he only had a filter.... He'd probably wouldn't have lost in 2020.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 01:19 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We all know Trump is his own biggest enemy. If he only had a filter.... He'd probably wouldn't have lost in 2020.

If he had a filter he also probably wouldn't have won in 2016.
Reply/Quote