Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump refuses to apologize for Central Park 5 death ad
Trump was asked today if he would apologize for his infamous 1989 full page ad and subsequent media appearances calling for the use of the death penalty on the Central Park 5, a group of teenagers that were found guilty of the rape of a jogger but later were exonerated after years in prison.

Quote:“Why do you bring that up now? It’s an interesting time to bring that up. You have people on both sides of that. They admitted their guilt . . . some of the prosecutors think the city should never have settled that case and we’ll leave it at that.”

The case has been in the news recently with the release of the new Netflix documentary series highlighting it.

The teenagers confessed at the time to being present for crime (and some saying they held the victim down), though their stories all varied and did not match how, where, or when the rape occurred. They would all go on to quickly retract their confessions. They claimed they were intimidated by the cops into confessing. All maintained their innocence while in prison, preventing their chances of early release.

The perpetrator, while serving a life sentence, admitted to the crime a decade later, providing evidence of details and matching the DNA found on the victim. The authorities also confirmed that the victim had been bound in the same fashion that Reyes had bound another victim in a crime he was convicted of 2 days earlier in the same place.

Despite this, or perhaps completely ignorant of all of this, Trump maintains their guilt.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The article for which he should apologize:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1838466.1403324800!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/trump21n-1-web.jpg?enlarged

base it on its own merit.

WTS, Trump's criticism of America's Judaical system is beneath the office of POTUS
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-18-2019, 07:56 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump was asked today if he would apologize for his infamous 1989 full page ad and subsequent media appearances calling for the use of the death penalty on the Central Park 5, a group of teenagers that were found guilty of the rape of a jogger but later were exonerated after years in prison.

The case has been in the news recently with the release of the new Netflix documentary series highlighting it.

The teenagers confessed at the time to being present for crime (and some saying they held the victim down), though their stories all varied and did not match how, where, or when the rape occurred. They would all go on to quickly retract their confessions. They claimed they were intimidated by the cops into confessing. All maintained their innocence while in prison, preventing their chances of early release.

The perpetrator, while serving a life sentence, admitted to the crime a decade later, providing evidence of details and matching the DNA found on the victim. The authorities also confirmed that the victim had been bound in the same fashion that Reyes had bound another victim in a crime he was convicted of 2 days earlier in the same place.

Despite this, or perhaps completely ignorant of all of this, Trump maintains their guilt.

Why would anyone think DJT would ever admit to being wrong about anything?

His argument is/was that these men must be guilty of "something".

He's a joke, a fool and a moron.

This wasn't just a case of Trump complaining about the judicial system but about these specific men.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I have no doubt if he was able to call for executions there would be many. The people would love it and it would be great. And every decision would be based on his reality tv show host conman alternate reality.
I prefer to assume everyone in jail and everyone who was executed by our government was 150% guilty. Admitting that innocent people have been punished violates my need to live in a safe space of a universe where bad things only happen to bad people.
I don't know about apologize. The full page ad was ridiculous either way, but I constantly have opinions of people found guilty of heinous acts.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-19-2019, 08:38 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know about apologize.  The full page ad was ridiculous either way, but I constantly have opinions of people found guilty of heinous acts.

Except they were completely exonerated (to borrow a phrase) by a confession and DNA confirming evidence.  The only opinion to have is that they were falsely convicted based on coerced confessions.

That DJT continued to insist that they must be guilty of something and "were no angels" is the problem. That he still continues to say it was bad to let them go is the problem.
Good Christian Trump has said that he has never even asked his god for forgiveness because he has never done anything wrong.

So who is surprised by this?
Two things:
I realize how the following could be used to "defend" Trump, but I'd like to think I'd speak up for anyone receiving similar press/ social media responses.

I know no more about this story than what I have read here so I maybe be missing a more direct connection between Trump and the accused.

What I see is a citizen of NY posting an oped in a Newspaper, in which, he purchased space. I see he opined about violent crime in general in his city and acknowledged it affects all races/creeds.

The oped appeared 2 weeks after the Central park attack in question and doesn't refer to it specifically. I would be willing to go out on a limb and guess there was other violent crime in NYC in those 2 weeks and perhaps maybe, just maybe the accused of those instances did indeed commit those crimes.

So in short what should he apologize for IRT the oped?

(06-19-2019, 12:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Two things:
I realize how the following could be used to "defend" Trump, but I'd like to think I'd speak up for anyone receiving similar press/ social media responses.

I know no more about this story than what I have read here so I maybe be missing a more direct connection between Trump and the accused.

What I see is a citizen of NY posting an oped in a Newspaper, in which, he purchased space. I see he opined about violent crime in general in his city and acknowledged it affects all races/creeds.

The oped appeared 2 weeks after the Central park attack in question and doesn't refer to it specifically. I would be willing to go out on a limb and guess there was other violent crime in NYC in those 2 weeks and perhaps maybe, just maybe the accused of those instances did indeed commit those crimes.

I suggest you do a deeper reading into Trump and his "thoughts" on the Central park Five.  Start here...or here...but find your own sources.

It is easy to skim over his involvement if one doesn't want to do the research.

https://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-live-updates-trailguide-years-after-the-central-park-five-1475859898-htmlstory.html?track=lat_social_sf__twitter_________latimes

Quote:...the boys said their confession was coerced, and in 2002, another man, serial rapist Matias Reyes confessed to the assault. His DNA matched evidence from the crime scene.

Trump told CNN this week he wasn't buying it.

"They admitted they were guilty," Trump said in a statement to CNN's Miguel Marquez. "The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same."

The five had all been convicted on various charges and spent between six and 13 years in prison. In 2014, a federal judge approved a $41 million settlement for their wrongful conviction.

Trump quickly called the settlement a "disgrace."

That was 2016.

DJT was/is wrong about his attacks on those men (then boys) but will not admit it.

Fluff off the ad and try to pretend it wasn't about this case and you still have decades of DJT saying he still thinks they are guilty despite all evidence to the contrary.

Edit to add: If anyone isn't old enough to know about this case and Trump's statements that would be the reason to research it. I've said (repeatedly) I didn't like DJT long before he started to pretend he wanted in politics. Anyone following pop culture or the news knew how he was even back then. That people VOTED for him and claim to NOT KNOW (or NOT CARE) how he behaves is a sad statement on the electorate. Especially when they "couldn't" vote for Clinton because of all they "knew" about her.
(06-19-2019, 09:01 AM)GMDino Wrote: Except they were completely exonerated (to borrow a phrase) by a confession and DNA confirming evidence.  The only opinion to have is that they were falsely convicted based on coerced confessions.

That DJT continued to insist that they must be guilty of something and "were no angels" is the problem.  That he still continues to say it was bad to let them go is the problem.

No the ongoing stuff after their exoneration is ridiculous as well.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-19-2019, 12:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good Christian Trump has said that he has never even asked his god for forgiveness because he has never done anything wrong.

So who is surprised by this?

I guess the adulteress was lucky he wasn't there at the stoning Jesus stopped.  

(06-19-2019, 01:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess the adulteress was lucky he wasn't there at the stoning Jesus stopped.  

Hilarious 

Rep.
(06-19-2019, 12:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: I suggest you do a deeper reading into Trump and his "thoughts" on the Central park Five.  Start here...or here...but find your own sources.

It is easy to skim over his involvement if one doesn't want to do the research.

https://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-live-updates-trailguide-years-after-the-central-park-five-1475859898-htmlstory.html?track=lat_social_sf__twitter_________latimes

That was 2016.

DJT was/is wrong about his attacks on those men (then boys) but will not admit it.

Fluff off the ad and try to pretend it wasn't about this case and you still have decades of DJT saying he still thinks they are guilty despite all evidence to the contrary.

Edit to add: If anyone isn't old enough to know about this case and Trump's statements that would be the reason to research it.  I've said (repeatedly) I didn't like DJT long before he started to pretend he wanted in politics.  Anyone following pop culture or the news knew how he was even back then.  That people VOTED for him and claim to NOT KNOW (or NOT CARE) how he behaves is a sad statement on the electorate.  Especially when they "couldn't" vote for Clinton because of all they "knew" about her.

I've already said Trump is wrong to question the Judicial system. My question was what in the oped should he apologize for? As it is the title of the thread.

(06-19-2019, 01:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've already said Trump is wrong to question the Judicial system. My question was what in the oped should he apologize for? As it is the title of the thread.

And I said feel free to think the ad had nothing to do with the Central Park Case and that he doesn't have to apologize for it.

But do so knowing that there is a lot to tie that ad to the case and Trumps (continued) involvement by still insisting the men are guilty.  Which is why I suggested doing more research to see how the ad is related and why he should apologize to them.
(06-19-2019, 01:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: And I said feel free to think the ad had nothing to do with the Central Park Case and that he doesn't have to apologize for it.

But do so knowing that there is a lot to tie that ad to the case and Trumps (continued) involvement by still insisting the men are guilty.  Which is why I suggested doing more research to see how the ad is related and why he should apologize to them.

No one said the article had "nothing" to do with the Central Park Case, it was a violent crime in NYC and the oped was about violent crime in NYC. Quit changing words to defend your right to hate. I've simply asked; what does Trump have to apologize for in the article and so far I've received no answer.

Perhaps you're confusing this with a thread called "Trump refuses to accept innocence of CP5". post in that one and I'll agree with you.

(06-19-2019, 01:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one said the article had "nothing" to do with the Central Park Case, it was a violent crime in NYC and the oped was about violent crime in NYC. Quit changing words to defend your right to hate. I've simply asked; what does Trump have to apologize for in the article and so far I've received no answer.

Perhaps you're confusing this with a thread called "Trump refuses to accept innocence of CP5". post in that one and I'll agree with you.

....sigh....

Unless the oped has "nothing" to do with the case then DJT has no reason to apologize to the men.

However:

Quote:No one said the article had "nothing" to do with the Central Park Case, it was a violent crime in NYC and the oped was about violent crime in NYC.

Since is has "something" to do with the Central park Case it is worth asking him about it and seeing if he feels he should apologize for it. Especially as he still, decades later, insists he was right about the men accused and that they should have been put to death. (That was his position in the oped...that those found guilty of crimes like the Central Park Case should be put to death. And he still believes they are guilty of it so he still wants them put to death.)

There's an answer.

Perhaps if you read up on the case and how that oped tied into everything Trump was saying about the boys it would make more sense.

I can only provide the information, I cannot make anyone learn.
(06-19-2019, 01:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess the adulteress was lucky he wasn't there at the stoning Jesus stopped.  

Hilarious  Hilarious Hilarious 
(06-19-2019, 12:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Two things:

**sigh**

This is getting old

(06-18-2019, 07:56 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump was asked today if he would apologize for his infamous 1989 full page ad and subsequent media appearances calling for the use of the death penalty on the Central Park 5,

Get it now?
(06-19-2019, 01:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one said the article had "nothing" to do with the Central Park Case, it was a violent crime in NYC and the oped was about violent crime in NYC. Quit changing words to defend your right to hate. I've simply asked; what does Trump have to apologize for in the article and so far I've received no answer.

No one who read the OP is confused.  It clearly mentions his subsequent media appearances.

Some one just fails at reading comprehension.