Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's new Social media site
Finally a place for TRUTH!  Ninja

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/10/20/donald-trump-announces-new-media-platform-truth-social-after-twitter-ban/6113559001/

Quote:Former President Donald Trump announced Wednesday he plans to launch his own social media platform called Truth Social, after he has been banned from several other popular social media sites.

In a press release, the Trump Media and Technology Group said it has entered a merger with Digital World Acquisition Corp. to become a publicly listed company, with Trump as its chairman.

"I am excited to send out my first TRUTH on TRUTH Social very soon. TMTG was founded with a mission to give a voice to all," Trump said in the statement.

Trump was banned from the biggest social media platforms — Twitter, Facebook and YouTube — after his supporters stormed the Capitol during the Jan. 6 riot, over concerns that his continued presence on social media would incite more violence. YouTube said its ban would be lifted after the "risk of violence" decreases, Facebook said Trump could come back to the platform at the soonest in 2023 and Twitter said its ban would be permanent.

Social media misinformation:Twitter blocked and labeled Donald Trump's tweets on election fraud. They spread anyway.
[Image: f7488b18-2fb1-4b9d-a911-8a3b7ad3c27a-VPC...&auto=webp]

Trump said in his statement Wednesday that Truth Social would "stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech." The platform will be available through an app on the Apple Store as a beta version for trial by "invited guests" in November and the company expects a full rollout in the first quarter of 2022. 
Trump Media and Technology Group also plans to launch a video on demand service, TMTG+, to feature "non-woke" content, it said.

Trump and his network have been building up to the release of his own platform, which he hinted at earlier this year. In the past he had a large presence on Twitter, where he launched attacks against critics and broke news about his administration. Since his absence from the major social media sites, Trump has sent a constant stream of press releases with tweet-like statements to the media and supporters.

Now this latest grift comes with some very specific rules.

https://truthsocial.com/terms-of-service/

This will be a hoot to watch....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
The FBI has to be loving these emerging and poorly moderated social media sites.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He lives rent free in your head.

Reply/Quote
If anyone falls for this, he just deserves to be crooked.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2021, 12:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He lives rent free in your head.

Given conservatives obsession with Obama after all these years, that's not exactly a rock that should be thrown by anyone on any political spectrum.
Reply/Quote

One of the two major political parties in this country has completely bent over backwards to accommodate him and his ideology, so he's kind of important.  Believe me, I'm of the mindset that whomever is the president was never meant to have this much impact on the country or people, but that just ain't the way it is.  

He's not just that guy who made a cameo in Home Alone 2, anymore. 
Reply/Quote

(10-21-2021, 12:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: One of the two major political parties in this country has completely bent over backwards to accommodate him and his ideology, so he's kind of important.  Believe me, I'm of the mindset that whomever is the president was never meant to have this much impact on the country or people, but that just ain't the way it is.  

He's not just that guy who made a cameo in Home Alone 2, anymore. 

Yeah, former POTUS,  who still says he won the election (unless he's filing court papers) and who wanted to block the certification of said election, who is under multiple investigations and campaigning for office again announces a new business that he can "run" and say whatever he wants isn't exactly me digging for new dirt on Trump...lol.

TBF I've been making fun of his failures longer than he's been a politician so it comes easily enough.
Reply/Quote
Alternative social media has been absolute shit. They’re just dumb dead half assed husks of the existing sites. They’re going to have to do something innovative and different if they want it to actually be successful. Even if it were to have some kind of short term success people would eventually realize it’s not as good and stop using it.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2021, 03:19 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Alternative social media has been absolute shit. They’re just dumb dead half assed husks of the existing sites. They’re going to have to do something innovative and different if they want it to actually be successful. Even if it were to have some kind of short term success people would eventually realize it’s not as good and stop using it.

It amuses me how these alternative sites trumpet being about free speech and then have a list of things you can't say that go beyond what the other platforms have. 

I guess free speech is just an empty marketing phrase.  The fact that these platforms are so amazingly unsecured and open to hacks and data breaches is just icing on the cake.  Are Trump and Lindell just cheap or are there zero tech companies that will build and monitor their site?
Reply/Quote
Couple updates already.

First one is that they didn't put a lot of work into this (go figure) and used some open source software while claiming it is theirs (go figure).

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dgm5k/truth-social-is-mastodon-trump

Quote:Former President Donald Trump’s new social network ’Truth Social’ is seemingly a thinly disguised fork of popular social network codebase Mastodon.

Users have already found ways to create accounts on the site despite it not officially launching until later this year. With that access, screenshots that various users took show the site is very similar to Mastodon in appearance.
“Based on the screenshots I have seen, it absolutely is based on Mastodon,” Eugen Rochko, founder and lead developer of Mastodon told Motherboard in an email. He pointed to one screenshot of Truth Social’s error message, which is using the default Mastodon elephant mascot.

“Well that looks familiar,” the Mastodon Twitter account tweeted in response to Daily Dot reporter Mikael Thalen posting a screenshot of a Truth Social account he managed to register in Donald Trump’s name. Rochko told Motherboard this Truth Social screenshot “looks exactly like the Mastodon UI with the light theme.”
Another screenshot shows that the HTML for the Truth Social login screen still mentions Mastodon explicitly.

Quote:Do you know anything else about Truth Social? We'd love to hear from you. Using a non-work phone or computer, you can contact Joseph Cox securely on Signal on +44 20 8133 5190, Wickr on josephcox, or email joseph.cox@vice.com.

Mastodon is a piece of open-source software that people can use to create their own social networks. The platform has a timeline style similar to Twitter. Whereas some people have moved to Mastodon for a social network experience away from more established, Big Tech companies, Neo-Nazis and other extremists have also used the platform.

When right-wing platform Gab used Mastodon, Mastodon published a statement saying “Mastodon is completely opposed to Gab’s project and philosophy, which seeks to monetize and platform racist content while hiding behind the banner of free speech. Mastodon remains committed to standing up against hate speech; for example, our new server covenant means we only list servers on joinmastodon.org that are committed to active moderation against racism, sexism and transphobia.” Some developers of Mastodon iOS and Android apps also blocked users from logging into Gab.

On its website, Truth Social says it is “America’s ‘Big Tent’ social media platform that encourages an open, free, and honest global conversation without discriminating against political ideology.” The site’s terms of use include a clause that says users can’t “disparage, tarnish, or otherwise harm, in our opinion, us and/or the Site.”
Its terms also say that “all source code” of Truth Social is proprietary. That might run afoul of Mastodon’s own license.

“The main thing is that Mastodon is free software, released under the AGPLv3 license, so anyone can use it—provided they comply with the license. The main part of the license is making the source code and any modifications to it available to the public,” Rochko told Motherboard. With Truth Social saying that its code is proprietary “that would be a problem, as that would indicate a license violation,” Rochko added.

Trump Media & Technology Group, the company behind Truth Social,  did not respond to a request for comment.
Rochko added “If you want my personal opinion on Trump, I cannot stand the guy.”

Secondly because they didn't put a lot of work into it (go figure) they have been hacked and they shut it down already (go figure).

https://fortune.com/2021/10/21/trump-truth-social-media-platform-beta-hackers/

Quote:The announcement of Donald Trump’s social media platform is less than 24 hours old, but the problems are already piling up—including the possible hacking of Trump’s own account.
[Image: http%3A%2F%2Fad.adsrvr.org%2Fgwg88r3%2Fb...00x627.png]

Truth Social isn’t formally scheduled to launch until the first quarter of 2022, but some people found a URL that allowed users to sign up anyway, and mischief makers have been wreaking havoc with the “donaldjtrump” account. It is, however, unclear if that was actually Trump’s account or if someone simply set up the account using the same handle that the former president previously used on Twitter.

Names of prominent political figures do not appear to be protected so far on Truth. Drew Harwell, a tech reporter for the Washington Post, noted he was able to secure an account under the name of “mikepence.” And Mikael Thalen, a writer for the Daily Dot, was able to secure the handle “donaldtrump.”

The public domain for what’s assumed to be Truth Social’s mobile beta has since been taken down. It’s likely that all accounts will be scrubbed before the live launch.

While being able to post under well-known names was certainly the most noticeable hiccup, there are plenty of other issues with the site that people have noted. For example:

• Trump’s social media site seemingly allows header and avatar images of up to 100 megabytes, which could result in some notable storage issues. (Twitter allows images only up to five megabytes.)
  • One of the rules of the site bans “excessive use of capital letters.” Trump frequently posted in all caps before he was banned from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat.
  • Another rule bars users from disparaging the site, which would seem to run counter to the free speech mandate Trump alluded to when unveiling the site.

“I created TRUTH Social and TMTG to stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech,” Trump said in a press release. “We live in a world where the Taliban has a huge presence on Twitter, yet your favorite American president has been silenced. This is unacceptable.”

Reply/Quote
You can't write this shit.
Reply/Quote
A lot of this stuff happens because the current social media platforms have 'issues'. Yesterday it is was announced that Facebook's own oversight committee determined that the algorithms that were flagging right leaning posts for inaccuracies....I'm in favor of this if it is truly false info....were NOT flagging left leaning Hollywood elites, for also dishonest posts. This is Facebook's own committee telling Facebook executives that their algorithm is applied unevenly based on political affiliation and status.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2021, 09:35 AM)Goalpost Wrote: A lot of this stuff happens because the current social media platforms have 'issues'.  Yesterday it is was announced that Facebook's own oversight committee determined that the algorithms that were flagging right leaning posts for inaccuracies....I'm in favor of this if it is truly false info....were NOT flagging left leaning Hollywood elites, for also dishonest posts.   This is Facebook's own committee telling Facebook executives that their algorithm is applied unevenly based on political affiliation and status.

And at the same time if they flagged something correctly or not you get more flagged later.

They have flagged jokes/memes for "False information" too. I got a three week "ban on going live and advertising" for a Jeffery Dahmer joke because it encouraged violence. LOL

One friend (right wing) gets flagged regularly and complains about it even though she is posting truly fake information as facts.  Yesterday she posted on another social that she got a 24 ban for telling a friend she was going to "kidnap" his daughter for a sleepover because her daughter missed her and they couldn't get together due to busy schedules.

Zero tolerance is almost always bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2021, 09:26 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: You can't write this shit.

Yea.   Ticker symbol DWAC is the company related, to create the SPAC/IPO on it.  It was 10 bucks Weds now trading 130.  Mania at the moment.
Reply/Quote
Dino posting books again (go figure)
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2021, 11:22 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Dino posting books again (go figure)

Each one is a couple minute (at most) read.  Some people don't want to click links because they are on a work computer or they don't trust them so I copy and paste where I can.

The other reason is that it provides the exact information versus just my take on it.  The reader can see it all.

But if that is a "book" or too much to read I apologize...and feel a little bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2021, 11:22 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Dino posting books again (go figure)

Here is a picture of a gut-feeling in order to balance the conversation.

[Image: model-inside-human-stomach-isolated-260n...990417.jpg]
Reply/Quote