Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump wants a military parade
(02-07-2018, 04:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Make fun of what?

The way our culture treats the military. There is one place I frequent where it is a common point of mockery. "TYFYS" or "Thank you for your service" is used with regular frequency to make fun of Americans. Typically it is used to poke fun at Americans doing stupid things, sometimes it is used in a way to acknowledge another poster's commentary/actions. Often it is accompanied with o7/07/O7, which represents a salute.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-07-2018, 04:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The way our culture treats the military. There is one place I frequent where it is a common point of mockery. "TYFYS" or "Thank you for your service" is used with regular frequency to make fun of Americans. Typically it is used to poke fun at Americans doing stupid things, sometimes it is used in a way to acknowledge another poster's commentary/actions. Often it is accompanied with o7/07/O7, which represents a salute.

Well if they think that's something to make fun of, then that says more about them than us.  I don't feel the least bit ashamed to honor people willing to risk their lives so that morons like them can poke fun.  Just curious, is there anything these remarkable people like about the US? They sort of remind me of us Bengal fans and the Steelers. If you can't beat them, try to make fun of them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-07-2018, 04:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So some people but not the majority? Great rebuttal. 

Yes I said leftists. That would be some people.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6634768

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/04/23/university-maryland-cancels-american-sniper-after-muslim-students-complain.html

https://nypost.com/2015/02/10/nbc-under-fire-over-report-american-sniper-chris-kyle-was-racist/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/8/american-sniper-deemed-racist-by-univ-of-michigan-/

https://www.salon.com/2015/02/05/american_snipers_muslim_problem_how_clint_eastwood_embraces_chris_kyles_toxic_ideas_partner/
(02-07-2018, 04:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So some people but not the majority? Great rebuttal. 

"People are saying...."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-07-2018, 04:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes I said leftists.   That would be some people.  

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6634768

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/04/23/university-maryland-cancels-american-sniper-after-muslim-students-complain.html

https://nypost.com/2015/02/10/nbc-under-fire-over-report-american-sniper-chris-kyle-was-racist/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/8/american-sniper-deemed-racist-by-univ-of-michigan-/

https://www.salon.com/2015/02/05/american_snipers_muslim_problem_how_clint_eastwood_embraces_chris_kyles_toxic_ideas_partner/

So two universities and two movie critics thought the film portrays Muslims poorly and one reporter mentioned that some people thought the guy the movie was about might be racist.

You're right, everyone hates veterans. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I’m in the “waste of money” group. The pentagon already wasted millions to use sporting events as recruiting posters, they need to stop that they too. Stop wasting my taxes.
(02-07-2018, 05:01 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So two universities and two movie critics thought the film portrays Muslims poorly and one reporter mentioned that some people thought the guy the movie was about might be racist.

You're right, everyone hates veterans. 

I said the leftists. Not everyone. Obviously good, decent, normal people do not follow the leftist ways.
(02-07-2018, 06:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I said the leftists.  Not everyone.  Obviously good, decent, normal people do not follow the leftist ways.

So you're walking back your initial statement about the military being killed and needing more respect, cool. Glad we made so many circles just to settle this.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-07-2018, 04:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well if they think that's something to make fun of, then that says more about them than us.  I don't feel the least bit ashamed to honor people willing to risk their lives so that morons like them can poke fun.  Just curious, is there anything these remarkable people like about the US? They sort of remind me of us Bengal fans and the Steelers. If you can't beat them, try to make fun of them.

Hard to say, I don't tend to interact a ton with them. Typically, I am only reading their posts as one place I go to get an idea how the rest of the world is seeing us.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-07-2018, 06:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hard to say, I don't tend to interact a ton with them. Typically, I am only reading their posts as one place I go to get an idea how the rest of the world is seeing us.

It's always interesting, but the fact that they make fun of us for that doesn't bother me at all.  Warriors have been respected since the first humans, and rightly so.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-07-2018, 06:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hard to say, I don't tend to interact a ton with them. Typically, I am only reading their posts as one place I go to get an idea how the rest of the world is seeing us.

I feel like adding that I, being a part of the rest of the world, never took great issue with the US celebrating its veterans. I fully understand that they risked their life for the good of the nation, which at least in their mind sure transformed to risking one's life for the greater good, and that deserves nothing but huge respect.

What I feel sometimes is that there's much show and not so much real effective aid for veterans; and this show element can be a bit much sometimes. What we unequivocally make fun of is the sense of american exceptionalism the US displays at every opportunity (including being proud of the military), but that doesn't necessarily touch the honoring of your veterans. That's just decent.
(02-07-2018, 07:05 PM)hollodero Wrote: I feel like adding that I, being a part of the rest of the world, never took great issue with the US celebrating its veterans. I fully understand that they risked their life for the good of the nation, which at least in their mind sure transformed to risking one's life for the greater good, and that deserves nothing but huge respect.

What I feel sometimes is that there's much show and not so much real effective aid for veterans; and this show element can be a bit much sometimes. What we unequivocally make fun of is the sense of american exceptionalism the US displays at every opportunity (including being proud of the military), but that doesn't necessarily touch the honoring of your veterans. That's just decent.

But why do you bother? I’m sure there are plenty of French people who say France is the greatest country in the world. I couldn’t care less that they think that. I’m sure not going to spend my time talking about it. And it could be any country. I don’t care if they think their country is the best. Or exceptional. I hope most people do. So a lot of Americans think the US is exceptional. Who cares?

Two things:

1) Not necessary

2) If the reason we should not have such a parade were listed. There would be all the rational reasons and then way, way, way, way below those would be "People of other Nations make fun of us for doing so".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-07-2018, 07:05 PM)hollodero Wrote: I feel like adding that I, being a part of the rest of the world, never took great issue with the US celebrating its veterans. I fully understand that they risked their life for the good of the nation, which at least in their mind sure transformed to risking one's life for the greater good, and that deserves nothing but huge respect.

That's generally why these folks mock it. It's much more about the over-the-top showiness of it without any efforts rooted in real effect.

Military parades outside of a onetime victory celebration?

That's what second and third rate powers do to impress us.... generally at the instruction of some despot or dictator who never spent a day in the military and who needs an excuse to wear some silly-ass uniform they created for themselves.

[Image: little-lord-fauntleroy.jpg]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-07-2018, 07:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But why do you bother?  I’m sure there are plenty of French people who say France is the greatest country in the world. I couldn’t care less that they think that. I’m sure not going to spend my time talking about it. And it could be any country.   I don’t care if they think their country is the best. Or exceptional. I hope most people do. So a lot of Americans think the US is exceptional. Who cares?

Ehm... ok that's tough to answer, but first we make fun of every nation of importance, don't think the French or Germans etc. don't get their share. So in a sense, the reason the US gets its reputation is that we pay attention to the US, way more than US people pay attention to France or anyone probably. Which has to do with the US being our cultural hegemone or, simply put, we see your whole show on TV. 

And so we notice the maybe more US typical sentiments, and this sense of exceptionalism and being what we'd call overly patriotic is something what appears to "us" as quite US typical. That stuff isn't important in the first place, but well we make fun of people that tell us things like greatest country mankind has ever seen and the world's good guys and that "an US citizenship is the most valuable document a person in this world can possess" or the flag parades and constant hymn singing at any event or many other things that people in other countries don't usually say or do. And they don't, not with that conviction, not that forcefully and not that visible. Is it a fair judgement? I honestly wouldn't dare to say either way, but well fact is the US gets made fun of for that sometimes and it's not directly my fault  Nervous
(02-07-2018, 08:34 PM)hollodero Wrote: Ehm... ok that's tough to answer, but first we make fun of every nation of importance, don't think the French or Germans etc. don't get their share. So in a sense, the reason the US gets its reputation is that we pay attention to the US, way more than US people pay attention to France or anyone probably. Which has to do with the US being our cultural hegemone or, simply put, we see your whole show on TV. 

And so we notice the maybe more US typical sentiments, and this sense of exceptionalism and being what we'd call overly patriotic is something what appears to "us" as quite US typical. That stuff isn't important in the first place, but well we make fun of people that tell us things like greatest country mankind has ever seen and the world's good guys and that "an US citizenship is the most valuable document a person in this world can possess" or the flag parades and constant hymn singing at any event or many other things that people in other countries don't usually say or do. And they don't, not with that conviction, not that forcefully and not that visible. Is it a fair judgement? I honestly wouldn't dare to say either way, but well fact is the US gets made fun of for that sometimes and it's not directly my fault  Nervous

Well it’s yours or Arturo’s fault so someone needs to step up. Thanks for the response. I mean I guess I get it when you put it like that.

And in keeping with my Americanism, to the bolded, maybe there’s a reason for that. (For some reason I can’t get the emojis to work on my phone so I’ll tell you I would have put one here. Probably)

(02-07-2018, 09:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And in keeping with my Americanism, to the bolded, maybe there’s a reason for that. (For some reason I can’t get the emojis to work on my phone so I’ll tell you I would have put one here.  Probably)

ThumbsUp
I'm sure there is a reason and it was probably Jesus himself who gave it to all of you. Then he gave you TV and McDonalds and made you fat and lazy.
So these are some more of the clichés, I hate it when Americans are just reduced to one of them. - You'd still not want to swap with the Germans, so.

Also, a military parade. Give me a break. That should be something we all mock the French for.
(02-07-2018, 06:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So you're walking back your initial statement about the military being killed and needing more respect, cool. Glad we made so many circles just to settle this.

Leftist trash the military all the time. Just as they did when they were hippies. They are pretty despicable when it comes to the military and the service members. They all need to be smacked around with avocado wraps and their preferred pronoun nonsense.
(02-07-2018, 09:39 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Leftist trash the military all the time.  Just as they did when they were hippies.   They are pretty despicable when it comes to the military and the service members.   They all need to be smacked around with avocado wraps and their preferred pronoun nonsense.

Hilarious how comes you never made it editor at Breitbart.