Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trumps DOJ Settles Lawsuit with Firm Represented by...
That same Russian lawyer who met with the royal family in Trump tower.

Trump fired the prosecutor running the case Preet Bharara. And days before going to trial Trumps DOJ settled the case with the group accused of real estate money laundering for Russia. Russia? Real estate? Trump loves those things.

The company represented by Don Jr's favorite Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya had to say this about the settlement offer "Essentially, the offer was too good to refuse."

Seems legit. Just more Russia coincidence with the Trump team I'm sure.

God damn joke.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/07/12/house-democrats-want-to-know-why-a-major-russian-money-launderin/23027159/

Democratic members of the House Judiciary Committee sent a letter to Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday asking why the Department of Justice decided to settle a major money laundering case involving a real-estate company owned by the son of a powerful Russian government official whose lawyer met with Donald Trump Jr. last year.

That attorney, Natalia Veselnitskaya, represents the family of Pyotr Katsyv — the former vice governor of the Moscow region whose son, Denis, owns the real-estate company Prevezon. The DOJ had been investigating whether Prevezon laundered millions of dollars into New York City real estate when the case was unexpectedly settled just two days before going to trial in May.
So, as fishy as this sounds, this is also just the standard way the DoJ has been handling things. The DoJ for years has been hesitant to actually prosecute and hold accountable companies, executives, and so forth. They would rather settle and move on. I heard Jesse Eisinger talking about it on NPR the other morning, he actually has a book about it: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34397551-the-chickenshit-club

I'm not saying there is nothing to this specific case that is in the wrong, just that it isn't an unusual activity.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-13-2017, 06:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, as fishy as this sounds, this is also just the standard way the DoJ has been handling things. The DoJ for years has been hesitant to actually prosecute and hold accountable companies, executives, and so forth. They would rather settle and move on. I heard Jesse Eisinger talking about it on NPR the other morning, he actually has a book about it: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34397551-the-chickenshit-club

I'm not saying there is nothing to this specific case that is in the wrong, just that it isn't an unusual activity.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/u-s-attorney-preet-bharara-biggest-prosecuting-successes-article-1.2666558

He was convicted of a complex scheme to line his pockets with over $5 million and sentenced to 12 years in prison earlier this year.

Skelos was sentenced to five years in prison.

They reached a deal resulting in the bank agreeing to pay $1.7 billion to the victims of the fraud - the largest forfeiture deal in U.S. history.

The push led to a federally mandated settlement with the city to overhaul jail policies.

al-Fawwaz was sentenced to life in prison last year after his successful prosecution by Bharara’s office.

The founder of the Galleon Group hedge fund, Rajaratnam was sentenced to 11 years in prison after being prosecuted by Bharara’s office

The San Francisco techie was sentenced to life in prison last year.

It was the largest gang takedown in New York City history.

Bharara was good at his job. I can understand settlements are pretty common. But when the side being prosecuted is offered a settlement "too good to refuse" and has to admit no wrong doing that is probably at least a little abnormal.